Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

@samwiltshire: “@officialpompey: Attendance: 13,387 (61 Accrington fans) #Pompey” yeah great following @ASFCofficial ??

@ASFCofficial: RT "@samwiltshire: yeah great following @ASFCofficial ??" You're not in the Premier League now, welcome to the real world.

:lol:

Given Pompey's next few matches, they are far from safe IMO. Some of the teams down the bottom are getting some form, and with a game in hand for a few of them, who knows what might happen in the next few weeks. A scrappy 1-0 win at home to a fellow struggler is not any indicator of form.

Bit of a shame but it is not alll bad tonight.

Northampton 's win against play off chasing Southend shows there is still life in that old dog. Good wins for Bury and Wycombe will also make the skates sweat. Bristol Rovers' got a last minute point against S****horpe. Clearly they are not as bad as "lowly 5-1 Portsmouth".

Most of the teams around Pompey have games in hand and better goal differences whikst theSkates have some tough fixtures coming up. It might be a good time to check out those Pompey relegation odds.

Roll on monday night when the Skates are on the box. Away against table topping Chesterfield. I can see the Spiteites getting 5.

It just took me ages to get along the M27, the open-top bus tour has gridlocked half of the county. :?

I've not had the misfortune of personally witnessing their current style of play, but from what I hear Mr Barker only has one plan.

Stifle creativity, strangle the opposition with ten men behind the ball and keep a clean sheet at all costs.

If this works, then try and create two or three chances.

This plan works....until the opposition score - then there is no plan B.

The other things that strikes me is, if you are going all out defensive and looking for someone to nick a goal out of nowhere with a half-chance every half hour, there is only one man for that job in League Two - and pompey are paying him to do that for Oxford.

Perhaps if Barker had kept Connolly they might be nearer the play-offs than the bottom?

So for me Barker's right up there with Whittingham, Grant, UnAppy, Hart, Cotterill and every other loser manager that they have heralded as a coaching genius and England manager-in-waiting.

Keep up the good work.

Good to see everyone else (except Torquay) picking up points last night, when I mentioned that they'd "played all their easy games for a couple of months" I may have forgotten last night's. Still, leaders Chesterfield away on Saturday (though Cheltenham at home after that).

March 2014

Chesterfield v Portsmouth Mon 3 Mar 19:45 (1st)

Portsmouth v Cheltenham Sat 8 Mar 15:00 (17th)

Portsmouth v Burton Tue 11 Mar 19:45 (5th)

Fleetwood v Portsmouth Sat 15 Mar 15:00 (6th)

Portsmouth v York Sat 22 Mar 15:00 (12th)

Rochdale v Portsmouth Tue 25 Mar 19:45 (3rd)

Newport v Portsmouth Sat 29 Mar 15:00 (9th but on an awful run)

April 2014

Portsmouth v Hartlepool Sat 5 Apr 15:00 (10th)

Dag & Red v Portsmouth Sat 12 Apr 15:00 (13th)

Portsmouth v Bristol Rovers Sat 19 Apr 15:00 (19th)

Northampton v Portsmouth Mon 21 Apr 15:00 (23rd but won't be by then)

Bury v Portsmouth Sat 26 Apr 15:00 (15th!)

May 2014

League Two

Portsmouth v Plymouth Sat 3 May 15:00 (8th)

I still think they'll get enough points for safety, bizarrely due to Newport's capitulation and games in hand they're only 3 points off 9th (ignoring GD), but fairly sure they're getting stuffed again on Saturday, and if Jervis gets injured they're in trouble again.

9 Newport 30 1 42

10 Hartlepool 33 -2 42

11 Wimbledon 33 -5 41

12 York 33 1 40

13 Dag & Red 32 -2 40

14 Morecambe 32 -6 40

15 Bury 31 1 39

16 Exeter 33 -5 39

17 Cheltenham 32 -7 39

18 Portsmouth 33 -11 39

19 Bristol Rovers 32 -2 38

20 Mansfield 33 -13 38

21 Wycombe 32 -4 37

22 Accrington 32 -7 37

23 Northampton 32 -16 32

24 Torquay 32 -17 30

I still think they'll get enough points for safety, bizarrely due to Newport's capitulation and games in hand they're only 3 points off 9th (ignoring GD), but fairly sure they're getting stuffed again on Saturday, and if Jervis gets injured they're in trouble again.

The Chesterfield game is Monday night on Sky.

At the risk of being pedantic, 'fin de siècle' has other meanings beside 'turn of the century', and sue may have been making a cultural reference to '... the closing and onset of an era,

Indeed! Thank you, kind sir: as I was saying about cultural references... "End of an era" would have been a bit bland with fewer negative connotations, and no presaging of the chaos to come. ;-)

''8th is possible depending on how newport get on with their 3 games in hand. 9th should be the bare minimum which is acceptable if barker is going to keep his job.

This league is made up of 3 or 4 good sides, who have similar wage budget to us. Another 3 or 4 decent sides, then 15 gash sides not including us, with a fraction of wage budget we are using. The play-offs should of been achievable when Barker took-over, after all that was the reason GW was sacked, and GW points were achieved from 2/3 of his games being against the teams in the top 12.

To say barker record when looking at the teams his 14 games have been against was disappointing would be understatement''

Above quote is lifted from SkatesOnline. Where's the money coming from for their top budget then? Hmmm.... Delusion much?

''8th is possible depending on how newport get on with their 3 games in hand. 9th should be the bare minimum which is acceptable if barker is going to keep his job.

This league is made up of 3 or 4 good sides, who have similar wage budget to us. Another 3 or 4 decent sides, then 15 gash sides not including us, with a fraction of wage budget we are using. The play-offs should of been achievable when Barker took-over, after all that was the reason GW was sacked, and GW points were achieved from 2/3 of his games being against the teams in the top 12.

To say barker record when looking at the teams his 14 games have been against was disappointing would be understatement''

Above quote is lifted from SkatesOnline. Where's the money coming from for their top budget then? Hmmm.... Delusion much?

Oh good God, they're nuts. They're 4 goals worse than the sides in the top 2 in individual matches, that does not translate into finishing just outside the playoffs.

Even with Newport playing on a ploughed beach for the rest of the season (and losing more matches as they have to change their usual passing style) they still beat Portsmouth comfortably AT FRATTON just before Christmas, and stuffed them in the JPT at Rodney Parade as well.

Then there's the little matter of Portsmouth's actual wins: they beat Rochdale (3rd) and Burton (5th) but that was before 6th October. They beat the teams in 14th, 15th,16th - but all before 3rd November. And they beat 13th placed Dagenham & Redbridge on Boxing Day.

They beat Wimbledon who are 11th recently, but AFCW hadn't won a match this year at that point, and have played more games than most of the teams around them so are in an inflated position.

Aside from that, they've beaten the teams in 21st and 22nd.

Nine league wins in 33 matches. Where are these wins suddenly going to come from to launch them into the top 8 (and frankly who cares about coming 8th anyway)?

Whilst I think of it, has the 13,387 done anything to undermine the supposedly healthy state of their current ST holder figure?

Removing the 61 Accrington fans leaves 13,326 in the Skate end - weren't they meant to have 14k ST holders? How does this relate to the number of *cough* "shares" they've had away with a grand for? And can we work out how many paid on the day?

I don't really care, I just fancy a laugh. :mcinnes:

I believe they gave away 10,500 season tickets at bargain basement prices to get in quick money, so as predicted at the time, their cashflow now must be horrendous with less than 3,000 paying customers including concessions every fortnight.

They are now giving away tickets for upcoming games to pack the park.

A park which ironically, is only packed when a bigger club come to town.

When I say A bigger club, that'll be us.

So they are currently taking maybe £100K a month through the turnstiles?

That's like a drop in the cesspit when you recall the amounts being paid to the former heroes.

Must be time pretty soon for another loan and takeover by their friendly partners.

I believe they gave away 10,500 season tickets at bargain basement prices to get in quick money, so as predicted at the time, their cashflow now must be horrendous with less than 3,000 paying customers including concessions every fortnight.

They are now giving away tickets for upcoming games to pack the park.

A park which ironically, is only packed when a bigger club come to town.

When I say A bigger club, that'll be us.

So they are currently taking maybe £100K a month through the turnstiles?

That's like a drop in the cesspit when you recall the amounts being paid to the former heroes.

Must be time pretty soon for another loan and takeover by their friendly partners.

Pardon me? a BIGGER club? when everyone know that they're already the best-est, thriftiest-est, passionate-est, biggest-est with 250,000 loyal fishfolk ready at a moments notice to pack the park?

Oh...

@pn_neil_allen: Good on Defoe saying farewell to Spurs fans. A nasty cold stopped him waving bye to #Pompey fans. Kept him from being FA cup-tied too.

Potentially libellous.

By hinting that Defoe manufactured a situation which would make him more attractive in the transfer market by deliberately making himself unavailable for selection for a game in order to ensure he was not cup-tied, he is disparaging him in his business, trade, office or profession.

If Defoe did sue, he does not have to prove the veracity of Allen's statements. All he would have to prove was that the statement made people think less of him, which it clearly does.

It would then be down to the defendant to prove what he said was either true (which might be tricky) or that this is honest comment, based upon known facts. That might also be tricky.

Defoe did say farewell to the few - by waving one finger in his rearview mirror as he went up the A3 at a pace usually reserved for traffic units with film crews aboard.

The one finger was to indicate both the number of times his wages had been paid in the previous quarter, and the marks out of ten he awarded the Fatpipes faithful for their passion, general bestestness and ability to pack-a-park.

Do our homegrown and developed England quartet outdo their bought-in England players who still haven't been paid?

Silly question, but I 4-1 believe that it had to be asked.

Potentially libellous.

By hinting that Defoe manufactured a situation which would make him more attractive in the transfer market by deliberately making himself unavailable for selection for a game in order to ensure he was not cup-tied, he is disparaging him in his business, trade, office or profession.

If Defoe did sue, he does not have to prove the veracity of Allen's statements. All he would have to prove was that the statement made people think less of him, which it clearly does.

It would then be down to the defendant to prove what he said was either true (which might be tricky) or that this is honest comment, based upon known facts. That might also be tricky.

Sounds like it would be a shame if someone tagged @IAmJermainDefoe on a re-tweet then....?

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

Good on Defoe saying farewell to Spurs fans. A nasty cold stopped him waving bye to #Pompey fans. Kept him from being FA cup-tied too.

Darren Box@darrenbox

@pn_neil_allen blokes a ****

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

@darrenbox Can’t possibly disagree!

Bloomers@Bloomerz1

@pn_neil_allen complete tosser

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

@Bloomerz1 Spot on!

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

Good on Defoe saying farewell to Spurs fans. A nasty cold stopped him waving bye to #Pompey fans. Kept him from being FA cup-tied too.

Darren Box@darrenbox

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

Bloomers@Bloomerz1

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

@Bloomerz1 Spot on!

At best, unprofessional

At worst, needs a formal warning from his employers. In an age of failing local papers is Neil Allen really a face they want to be represented by.

What an idiot

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

Darren Box@darrenbox

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

Bloomers@Bloomerz1

Neil Allen@pn_neil_allen

@Bloomerz1 Spot on!

Not much doubt about where Defoe is on the hero/villain swingometer.

Is "tosser" an added dimension to the swingometer?

"I thought it would only need small changes to get us back into the top half," Barker told BBC Radio Solent. Portsmouth boss Richie Barker has been shocked by how big a challenge it has been to try to turn things around.

Barker was named Pompey boss on 9 December but has won just four games from 14, with his side seven points above the League Two relegation places.

"Within the first two to three weeks I recognised the changes would have to be fairly big."

He added: "If I'm honest, I thought the team would be closer to the top half in terms of form, in terms of mentality and in terms of technical and tactical ability."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26385877

looks like he fell for the lies :lol: