Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

More comedy gold on the radio this morning...Recent loan signing Marcus Bean quoted as saying he would welcome the loan to be made permanent. Apparently "people" are saying..."outside of the Championship, this is the place to be"

:? Who are these "people"?

Presumably meaning if you ain't good enough for the Championship go and get the next best wage at Portsmouth.

So why is it DC isn't getting a game? Honest question by the way.

There's been a standoff there for months, Connolly was part of Guy Whittingham's coaching team as well as still playing, and wanted to continue with that when Barker got the job, but Barker brought his own people in. Connolly was ****ed off with this, so he and Barker fell out, hence Connolly being sent on loan to Oxford for the second half of last season. He's been "fit" all summer and all season (won't be match sharp, obviously), I believe he's their highest-paid player, but it seems the disagreement has continued with current management and the board. Ultimately, he's kept himself fit enough to train, so he's not breached his contract so they've no grounds to just get rid of him, but Awford has no intention of picking him. I suspect he's on a sizeable appearance/goal bonus as well, which is probably a consideration as well.

The whole idea of being a manager is to be capable of managing different kinds of player.

For instance, Ballotelli is unmanageable, he's proved that.

Osvaldo is trouble, he needs managing, Puncheon is high maintenance too.

But Connolly's history would suggest that he is not a troublesome player, he just needs managing correctly.

Awford and the board have hopelessly failed to do that, and also don't seem capable of agreeing to terminate their relationship either.

Connolly could do a very handy job for them right now, but they have failed to handle him or the situation properly.

And as I said before, he's been around long enough to know a crap manager when he sees one, and the truth hurts.

All the time they let this one run, he's bleeding them of cash every day. :)

They've already offered him a number of different exit routes, but having been ****ed around so much it's difficult to blame him for saying "no thanks". As long as he keeps himself fit enough to train, there's nothing the club can do. Only another 7 months left on his contract anyway, so I suspect even the board has given up trying to force him out now.

So now they have added three loan signings, Awful needs to unload...

Recent loan signing Marcus Bean quoted as saying he would welcome the loan to be made permanent. Apparently "people" are saying..."outside of the Championship, this is the place to be"

They have only signed one player this season, the rest are loans, yet they still have a huge squad. Maybe if they stopped offering such a huge contracts to players, the players will be more willing to leave and/or have a need to perform?

There's been a standoff there for months, Connolly was part of Guy Whittingham's coaching team as well as still playing, and wanted to continue with that when Barker got the job, but Barker brought his own people in. Connolly was ****ed off with this, so he and Barker fell out, hence Connolly being sent on loan to Oxford for the second half of last season. He's been "fit" all summer and all season (won't be match sharp, obviously), I believe he's their highest-paid player, but it seems the disagreement has continued with current management and the board. Ultimately, he's kept himself fit enough to train, so he's not breached his contract so they've no grounds to just get rid of him, but Awford has no intention of picking him. I suspect he's on a sizeable appearance/goal bonus as well, which is probably a consideration as well.

Cheers Steve & Hatch

I'd heard that about the awfuls.

That's pompey for you - when the disgruntled staff hold a secret meeting, and then demand that the manager sits down and shuts up, some would call that worrying - but down there it's all spun as a positive thing!

Onwards and sideways.

There are no yes men there.

Connolly, do you want to accept a demotion, play in a system that clearly doesn't work and score the goals to keep me in my job?....

No.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/loanee-shrugs-off-links-1-6444548

And it’s not as if Holmes doesn’t know the intense rivalry between the clubs.

He came on as a substitute in the 83rd minute for Southampton as they were demolished 4-1 in the FA Cup clash at St Mary’s in February 2010.

And he was an unused substitute in the 1-1 hard-fought draw at Fratton Park in November 2011

Holmes, however, also understands the stature of Pompey and is determined to play his part for the duration of his stay.

‘Everyone knows that this club should be higher – in the Premier League or the Championship,’ added Holmes.

‘You only have to look at the paper and see 15,000 people turning up every week to watch to know that it’s a massive club.

‘It wasn’t a hard decision to drop down.

‘As a footballer, you want to play at the highest level you possibly can.

‘But coming here and walking down the tunnel and down the pitch, you realise that this is not a League Two club.

:mcinnes:

Edited by trousers

Put it through Google translate.

My club didnt want me because Im always crocked and no-one else in the league would take a chance given my injury record. Only Pompey are desperate enough to gamble yet again. Portsmouth and me were a perfect match - the last few years have been a car crash for both of us. I hope to be able to give them a sparkling 20 minutes before going off with a hamstring injury and playing no further part for the rest of the season.

From POL

So tonight on express revealed we have highest wage bill in league.

to think I got shot down for saying itwas 3rd highest (which it was at start of season)

Surely anything less than play offs is failure? But plenty of time to go

Fair enough. We have the highest gate by country miles!

Historical Squad problems such as Connelly and Agemang and others on high wages and not playing that much means that there is currently an imbalance in the squad and it does not necessarily mean we have the highest paid first team.

that wage bill is overloaded with a lot of players that Awfs inherited. Talk of even playoffs imo is overdoing it somewhat. We know our strikers mostly have shortcomings for starters. And we rely so much on Wallace for goals.

Our squad needs a major overhaul next summer

will be very low still due to historical debts that were hamstringing us. We must still with gates have a very average to low income/wagebill ratio.

our only concern has to be performances this season causing gates to drop for next season, but as long as away form improves should be okish

it means we are paying top dollar on average players, going forward it has to be about quality over quantity.

I am relaxed about the wage bill: I totally trust the people running our great club. Shall we get Storrie in or a convicted fraudster (as we once had)? We have a big wage bill for this league? As was remarked earlier in the thread: so we should with our gates and that we need to make tell

Some of the club board presidents are quite keen on Storrie, trying to get him to reinvest some of the fortunes he made out of an earlier version of PFC I expect.

Really good feeling knowing that our club is being run so well and, importantly, with transparency.

Some interesting snippets there, the most interesting being that apparently the club presidents want Storrie teller to invest in Pompey :lol:

The News tomorrow... BRAVE POMPEY GO DOWN FIGHTING IN THE BATTLE OF BIRKENHEAD.

I look forward to the next time they're there to play the mighty Cammell Laird.

Ha Ha ....

Their big day out on Merseyside ...... Tranmere

Their big day out in Greater Manchester ..... Bury

Their big day out in Greater London ..... Wycombe.

Oh how the mighty have fallen!!

Fair do's though they were only 22 mins away from an open top bus journey worthy away draw at joint bottom Tranmere.

A package costing £700 each I think I read somewhere. Will they ever stop ripping people off?

How many did they sell?

I'm assuming at that price they sold just enough to be able to afford to charter a plane to fly the team ooopp North?

They are taking this fan owned malarky to a different level aren't they, getting the fans to pay for the players to travel in luxury!!

How many did they sell?

I'm assuming at that price they sold just enough to be able to afford to charter a plane to fly the team ooopp North?

They are taking this fan owned malarky to a different level aren't they, getting the fans to pay for the players to travel in luxury!!

Wonder if that airline demanded to be paid in advance ? :)

Ha Ha ....

Their big day out on Merseyside ...... Tranmere

Their big day out in Greater Manchester ..... Bury

Their big day out in Greater London ..... Wycombe.

Oh how the mighty have fallen!!

Fair do's though they were only 22 mins away from an open top bus journey worthy away draw at joint bottom Tranmere.

I'd say they look forward to Dagenham & Redbridge when it comes to London, as they play quite similarly to us according to Gus Poyet.

Twitter reports of pompey minority chanting anti-Islam, anti-Catholic, anti-female, anti-gay, pro-Ebola songs today.

Can we assume they are getting bored watching the football?

Must be time for another smoke bomb and minor pitch invasion pretty soon.

The circle of life.

1970 called and asked for their supporters back.

Twitter reports of pompey minority chanting anti-Islam, anti-Catholic, anti-female, anti-gay, pro-Ebola songs today.

Can we assume they are getting bored watching the football?

Must be time for another smoke bomb and minor pitch invasion pretty soon.

The circle of life.

1970 called and asked for their supporters back.

:lol:

Just looking for Pompey related Ebola news and notice this forum's very own Fitzhugh Fella has managed to completely mug himself off by trying to pretend PFC's agent fees were higher than Burnley's. Whoops.

Let's stick to laughing at the facts shall we.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})