Who we've been linked with for January thread...

Saint Garrett

Two "extras" are travelling to Barcelona with the team. One is the cm from espanyol, second is a player who is also linked to Liverpool. My source isn't particularly good with names!!!!

Not true.

And why would the Espanyol midfielder who is already in Barcelona, travel there with the team?

Assume the Liverpool target is Coutinho - no way he is coming to Barcelona with us.

Phil Neville made a good point yesterday about the reducing number of english players in the PL. Not too bothered about the general picture but I had hoped that Cortese was starting to build the next England team at St Mary's (led by a young English Manager). I'm quite excited about MP coming in but I would be a bit disappointed if people like Ward Prowse, Reeves and Chambers drop down the pecking order at the expense of MPs mates in Spain and South America...

Phil Neville made a good point yesterday about the reducing number of english players in the PL. Not too bothered about the general picture but I had hoped that Cortese was starting to build the next England team at St Mary's (led by a young English Manager). I'm quite excited about MP coming in but I would be a bit disappointed if people like Ward Prowse, Reeves and Chambers drop down the pecking order at the expense of MPs mates in Spain and South America...

I doubt they will. We have a decent representation of English players and are often linked with more. Plus, the clear instruction to push young players through has come from NC and most of those will be English until we start recruiting 16 year olds from around Europe which is realistically the only way we will make the 50% Academy players in the first team ideal.

I doubt they will. We have a decent representation of English players and are often linked with more. Plus, the clear instruction to push young players through has come from NC and most of those will be English until we start recruiting 16 year olds from around Europe which is realistically the only way we will make the 50% Academy players in the first team ideal.

And South America, USA, Australia and Africa.

It's all in the plan.

Now, what is Jaidi's job again?

NC's dream is to have academy players as the basis for top-flight team, not necessarily English academy players. As Phil aludes to, we have put Jaidi in a position in Africa specifically aimed at attracting players that might have otherwise gone to France, so that immediately rules out any dream that NC wants primarily English academy players.

Most top-flight teams do it - they scout young players, sign them up as soon as possible and manage their development either in-house or from afar.

Gary ? Or was he interviewing his brother? Gary's the one with the dark hair who doesn't play for Everton.

I know it's not directly related to the thread but didn't feel it warranted one of its own.

Jay Rod was at the Hilton last night after the game, having a meeting with 'an older man'. Probably nothing to it, but a bit of a weird time to be meeting someone?

(It definitely wasn't Adkins apparently, before you ask)

I know it's not directly related to the thread but didn't feel it warranted one of its own.

Jay Rod was at the Hilton last night after the game, having a meeting with 'an older man'. Probably nothing to it, but a bit of a weird time to be meeting someone?

Dad....?

My mate in the Old Bill said they were watching several strange men at this hotel:rolleyes:

Will let you know if they got any phots of you as well;)

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10178686.Pochettino_planning_Spanish_raid_/?ref=mr

A lot of pure speculation here, but amongst it all The Echo do have a real rumour.

Sources have also told the Echo that Pochettino could be interested in his former Espanyol keeper Carlos Kameni.

He is rated as one of the best shot-stoppers in the Spanish league and has been capped 70 times by Cameroon.

Kameni left under a cloud last January, citing a lack of ambition from the club.

However, the excellent form of Wily Caballero means he’s been forced to play back-up at Málaga.

Tore Finne Størmer ‏@Lapskaus

@alex_crook Any transfer activity from Southampton to be expected? Apart from the fake Coutinho rumor, it's really quiet...

34m Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook

@Lapskaus not heard anything. Don't expect too many ins and outs

Crook is a national newspaper journo.

With the stated aim of bringing players into the first team from the Academy I wonder if anyone else does come in it's more likely to be a loan player, rather than another new signing. With JWP, Calum Chambers, Ben Reeves and Jack Stephens all on the fringe of the first team, they must be expected to play more of a part next season. That does still leave gaps for a LB to compete with Shaw and a RMF to compete, or improve, on Puncheon but that could be left for the close season along with a creative MF.

If someone does come in it may well be a player Pochettino already knows who most of us will probably have never heard of but it is just as likely that there will be no more signings now that the CB problem is covered.

With JWP, Calum Chambers, Ben Reeves and Jack Stephens all on the fringe of the first team, they must be expected to play more of a part next season.

I was a little surprised not to see Chambers, Reeves and Stephens on the Barcelona trip this week (unless I've missed them in the clutch of photos?). Would've thought it was an ideal opportunity for the club to show that they mean business when they talk about closing the gap between the academy and first team, especially given these three are actually named in the senior squad anyway (not that they don't demonstrate this already with the likes of Shaw and JWP of course)

I'm guessing they were held back for U21 duties but think those game this week were cancelled before the rest of the squad jetted off anyway?

Jose Callejon from Real Madrid linked in transfer rumours, not heard of him but when looking at wiki it says his current club is Southampton, number 21 (where's Guly going)

Or maybe BS.

Anything that's ever posted on that site is BS....and anyone can edit wiki.

Zarate close to a move to England, either Sunderland or Southampton.

From the limited amount I've seen Zarate could actually be a better bet than Coutinho - certainly looks physically stronger and better able to cope in the prem. Maybe doesn't have the blinding pace or as many tricks but still quite pacy and skillful. Also has an eye for goal. Lazio paid 20M euros for him with a 60M buyout clause but he's available for much, much less now and he wants to move. He's Argentinian so MP will be aware of him and he's played in the prem before so will know what to expect.

Given that any transfer of this type is going to be a risk I'd be tempted to go for the cheaper option of Zarate as he seems to have more attributes that would suit the pace of the prem than Coutinho. In addition to that his missus is fit.

Just read a tweet rumouring Darren Bent to us. Hmmm

My villa mate was at the game the other night in the corps an he was chatting with Mark Walters who is ex player and he said that Bent to Liverpool is done deal, he reckons transfer fee and wages is agreed, it's just matter of Villa deciding if to do it now or wait till end of season.