Boruc

Glasgow_Saint

To me it looks like the media reports on Boruc have been lifted from here! However Thevman is very reliable, although I really hope wrong on this occasion!

Wouldn't surprise me. I think Simon Peach was the first to tweet followed by Solent.

It does make you wonder though. With all the saliva tests and mattress hoovering, why a premier league level backup for an essential position hasn't been sourced.

Wouldn't surprise me. I think Simon Peach was the first to tweet followed by Solent.

It does make you wonder though. With all the saliva tests and mattress hoovering, why a premier league level backup for an essential position hasn't been sourced.

Another gaff by the transfer committee?

It was a strange few minutes. As he was preparing to leave the field he didn't seem to have any trouble using both hands to open a water bottle. That would suggest a finger injury rather than a hand injury, and possibly not a very bad one at that. Speaking from personal experience, it's reasonably easy (though painful) to play with a recovering dislocation but not a break. Dare I say "fingers crossed"?

of course we can only hope that KD will be fit enough this week, because despite all else Gazzaniga is not my idea of a Prem. keeper. To put him as second choice to KD last season was a big mistake on " someone's part ".

Some people have suggested that KD's career " peaked " in our Championship season, and I would be first to admit that last season's catastrophic start wasn't purely his fault, but I think he's past his shelf life except perhaps for the odd game, but six weeks is " a big ask ".

I'm not against Gazzaniga as a future keeper, but for me " young-ish " keepers have always been a no-no and he has a lot to learn and is nowhere as fast /skilful as KD or Boruc, not to mention the confidence factor.

I really don't intend it to sound as if I'm knocking him....... (I'd love it if we kept clean sheets in every game), but it looks a trifle ominous - don't you think?

PLUS the fact that even assuming AB is fit enough to return straight afterwards ..... 6 weeks absence from now ....is EIGHT league games and an FA Cup 3rd round tie to boot.

I'm sorry to reiterate my posts from before last seasons' start in the Prem., when I first wrote that we needed TWO top class keepers.

Thankfully we didn't buy Butland, but IMO Gazzaniga is no better and needs lots of time before he's ready for this level.

....(around half of the Prem.sides have at least two international keepers on their books ...and Arsenal and Chelsea both have three... and I think Spurs did last season (at least).

Edited by david in sweden

He look awful, as soon as he started getting his kit on I lost all confidence

Fridel would be my first hopeful choice !!!

Why - he didn't drop his shinpads did he?

It's laughable - some of you lot on here are like a load of hysterical little girls.

Gazzaniga isn't good enough. Championship keeper at the very best, not even sure about that.

His starting position and sluggish dive were to blame for their 3rd.

It was a decent header but I'm confident Boruc would have saved it.

On the bright side, transfer window is open in 4 weeks, we'll only have played... 7 matches by then. :uhoh:

Edited by The9

What a lot of rubbish is spouted on here.. I doubt Boruc would have saved either of the goals... Gazzaniga was fine when he came on.. his positioning is an area of improvement but he won't be the reason we don't beat Villa.. we need to create as per the last home game where we were unplayable.

On the bright side, transfer window is open in 4 weeks, we'll only have played... 7 matches by then. :uhoh:

Cheer up son, we've got three international strikers and a glittering array of talent in midfield, maybe we will become Newcastle under Keegan now that would be exciting!

Yes everyone the loss of Boruc is a big blow but Kelv and Gazza are both adequate and having them in goal doesn't suddenly mean we will loose every game obviously we won't be as strong at the back but we have won games with worse keepers between the sticks.

Pretty much the worst time of the season for this to happen. We'll have to hope he's better than he looked at the weekend.

One area where Gazza is much better than Boruc is in his distribution. That said he is a young keeper who is still learning his trade.

In the Nowhere Men (a book on being a scout), they talk up Paulo as one to watch. That doesn't mean he'll make it, but it does mean he's highly thought of.

I can only hope that, ironically like Boruc, PG is able to make the critics eat their words....

Blimey its the 23rd of December in the Turkey shed on here, We are in the situation we find ourselves in and have to deal with it, the ball has to get past 10 other players before it gets to Paulo and we have been quite good at dealing with that for most of this season so why would that change. "He didn't inspire confidence when he was getting ready to come on v Chelsea" how bizarre! The lad has been sat there minding his own business as one of the players least likely to be called into action then all of a sudden like winning the lottery "Paulo your on mate!!", what's he supposed to do shadow box like a prize fighter entering the ring?!

We should all get behind him, without the histrionic audible ooo's aaarghs sharp intakes of breath when he comes to get the ball, Tony got Buruc sorted out and doing well between the sticks with us what's to say he hasn't been able to improve young Paulo?

Blimey its the 23rd of December in the Turkey shed on here, We are in the situation we find ourselves in and have to deal with it, the ball has to get past 10 other players before it gets to Paulo and we have been quite good at dealing with that for most of this season so why would that change. "He didn't inspire confidence when he was getting ready to come on v Chelsea" how bizarre! The lad has been sat there minding his own business as one of the players least likely to be called into action then all of a sudden like winning the lottery "Paulo your on mate!!", what's he supposed to do shadow box like a prize fighter entering the ring?!

We should all get behind him, without the histrionic audible ooo's aaarghs sharp intakes of breath when he comes to get the ball, Tony got Buruc sorted out and doing well between the sticks with us what's to say he hasn't been able to improve young Paulo?

At last, an unbiased unemotional opinion. Both goals were a nightmare for any goalkeeper a looping back header and a brilliant difficult to anticipate unorthodox deflection by Ba. As far as I am concerned Boruc is a cracking keeper despite the three recent soft goals against Stoke, Hull and Arsenal. However he is now injured and isn't going to be playing again any time soon. I know what Davis brings to the table, brilliant shotstopping, good long kicking but then poor with crosses, doesn't command his area, poor distribution, vulnerable at the near post and palms saves back out to incoming forwards. As for Gazzaniga, I thought he did OK and hope that he has a decent run of games and gives Pochettino a selection problem when Boruc is fit.

Have to say I agree with the two above posts.

Really didn't think he did much wrong. Considering he had been on the pitch a matter of minutes, expecting him to save what was a really good headed effort by Terry (the git) is asking a lot. The Ba one is harsh to blame him for, stunning how little flack Lovren gets for his involvement in that. Made no attempt for the balll, or to get in front of Ba, just stops running and tries to barge him. Big fan of Lovren, think he is brilliant, but to blame Gazza and not mention this is pretty unfair imo.

Clearly would rather Boruc was in goal, but ffs people let's just get behind Gazza (or Kelvin) whist Artur is out.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

I know what Davis brings to the table, brilliant shotstopping, good long kicking but then poor with crosses, doesn't command his area, poor distribution, vulnerable at the near post and palms saves back out to incoming forwards. As for Gazzaniga, I thought he did OK and hope that he has a decent run of games and gives Pochettino a selection problem when Boruc is fit.

I would dispute that Davis is good at long kicking. He is actually very bad at this, but not as bad as Boruc. It is one of Gazza's strengths, though whether the long ball up to the strikers is our preferred modus operandi is open to debate, MP usually prefers us to play out from the back making long kicking a forgotten art.

I would dispute that Davis is good at long kicking. He is actually very bad at this, but not as bad as Boruc. It is one of Gazza's strengths, though whether the long ball up to the strikers is our preferred modus operandi is open to debate, MP usually prefers us to play out from the back making long kicking a forgotten art.

Davis kicks well off the ground and often hit Lambert. However we don't play that way now. Secondly we don't concede many shots which means his weaknesses are more significant to our game than his strengths. I think Gazzaniga will benefit from a run of games as long as he plays competently.

When he played in the early part of last season he let in less goals than the other two at that time despite a rash of deflected goals. Whilst he was in goal, he also played in most of our good results. The two standout errors were v Swansea and Norwich but our hero Boruc has been hardly blameless in the last few games with a similar pass to Wanyama v Hull and Arsenal but hypocritically most of Gazzaniga's detractors choose to ignore that but still harp on about Gazzaniga's two errors.

Edited by derry

what a load of rubbish has been spouted on here about Gazzinga. How anyone can fault him for either goal is laughable. As soon as we lose or conceed a goal some on here can not wait to blame someone or have a scapegoat.

Get behind whoever is in goal on Wednesday night. We lost on Sunday because we were not good enough all over the park, nothing brilliant up front, midfield was not firing on all cylinders and we made mistakes at the back.....not one persons fault!!

what a load of rubbish has been spouted on here about Gazzinga. How anyone can fault him for either goal is laughable. As soon as we lose or conceed a goal some on here can not wait to blame someone or have a scapegoat.

Get behind whoever is in goal on Wednesday night. We lost on Sunday because we were not good enough all over the park, nothing brilliant up front, midfield was not firing on all cylinders and we made mistakes at the back.....not one persons fault!!

This. Our good defensive record can only save us for so long.

Just seen the 3rd goal on SSN and I think Boruc would have saved it. I'm still happy with Paulo filling in while AB is out though.

IMO the first goal was by far the most avoidable, if Boruc had kept his positioning correct.

Great keeper and without a doubt best we have, but seriously overrated around here and is directly at fault for 3 or 4 of our goals conceded this season.

IMO the first goal was by far the most avoidable, if Boruc had kept his positioning correct.

Great keeper and without a doubt best we have, but seriously overrated around here and is directly at fault for 3 or 4 of our goals conceded this season.

Behave, had the ball not his the post he was there to save it. It was unfortunate the angle it came off the post

This is either a wind up or you are a complete moron.. you choose