The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

So, mr agent who stands to make a fortune, might he be interested? No, definitely not.

So you think he'd make those statements without even talking to Koeman?

I like them as much as you obviously do, but we won't be signing any managers or any players unless we deal with agents.

That confirmation of interest is the first piece of positive news we've had for some time.

Barring his time at Valencia his win % is very impressive.....even then they won the Copa Del Rey.

I've just got to trust the present incumbents at SFC to make the right decision......nothing any of us can do,we just pay the exorbitant prices for tkts and merchandise and such like.

Such a shame after some great seasons it is all thrown into doubt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fully agree buddy. Those seasons under Adkins were amazing.

I knew you would admit it one day!!

Aha! I'd managed to miss the echo article somehow, so cheers for that. Even if koeman is interested, his odds still seem ridiculously short to me though. But what do I know. Ach! As long as it isn't mclaren I'll be happy. Or widdrington. Or Mackay....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Koeman odds are getting ridiculously short (6/4) with every other candidate widening (next one is Yakin at 8/1). Whilst this may just be down to the number of people placing bets on Koeman more often than not when this happens there some substance to it so I cant help thinking it is looking very likely Koeman will be announced in the next week.

Aha! I'd managed to miss the echo article somehow, so cheers for that. Even if koeman is interested, his odds still seem ridiculously short to me though. But what do I know. Ach! As long as it isn't mclaren I'll be happy. Or widdrington. Or Mackay....

Bad news for you then......Widdrington has come in from 150-1 straight after vacancy arose to 16-1 now.........might not be the favourite but that is some shortening of odds.

The article has barely been discussed on here - despite its potentially major significance, which just goes to show that a lot of posters prefer to wallow in misery than embrace opportunity.

@alex_crook: Former #thfc manager Christian Gross is emerging as the latest overseas candidate for the #saintsfc job

@alex_crook: Gross almost took charge of #saintsfc before Pochettino was hired but a last minute change of heart rescued Adkins from being fired earlier

@alex_crook: Former #thfc manager Christian Gross is emerging as the latest overseas candidate for the #saintsfc job

@alex_crook: Gross almost took charge of #saintsfc before Pochettino was hired but a last minute change of heart rescued Adkins from being fired earlier

Hopefully its got the reliability of Crook's usual stuff.

Gross FFS!

Don't read too much into this one.

"When Koeman was brought in during the summer of 2011, the club was in ruins. After the worst season in the club’s history, finishing tenth in the Eredivisie with a team lacking in quality (just think about Jhonny van Beukering, an overweight striker nicknamed Jhonny Burger King who only had experience at lower level clubs was presented as the big saviour, only to leave after just three games). During pre-season preparations coach Mario Been, a popular former player of the club, was sacked after the players outvoted him in a confidential vote. Too much had happened, too much to have any trust in Been leading Feyenoord back to glory."

This is why I think Les Reed will go for him. He took a club in ruins and rebuilt it. Reed went for MP as we needed someone who'd taken a bottom half club and had put it into 8th. Reed seems to plum for proven managers who will achieve the short term aim; after the Board preside over the sale of our best players Saints will be in ruins. Its not guaranteed though Les. You got lucky with MP.

Still think Moyes would be better.

Mancini odds shortening ;)

I see him down to 14s on Skybet, was 25/1 a couple of hours ago.

Christian Gross is down to 6/1 on betvictor (not even listed by Skybet)

Steve McClaren has come in to 3/1 on betvictor

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/southampton/next-permanent-manager

Edited by Bewildered

Don't know if there's any truth in this but I do know Gross was interviewed when MP got the job ...

Obviously I know Ronald Koeman but my knowledge of what he has actually achieved on a managerial level is sadly, seriously lacking. Can anyone fill me in, can you fill me in, can you fill me on in?

From Wiki (so pinch of salt and all that)

Early years[edit]

Having retired as a player after his stint with Feyenoord, Koeman became a member of the coaching staff of Guus Hiddink during the 1998 World Cup along with Johan Neeskens and Frank Rijkaard. After the tournament Koeman was appointed the assistant coach of Barcelona. In 2000, he was handed his first managerial job as the head coach of Vitesse where he led the team to a UEFA Cup spot on a relatively limited budget.

Ajax[edit]

Koeman was appointed the manager of Ajax in 2001. Ajax' fortunes suffered a steady decline after Koeman got off to a successful start at the Amsterdam ArenA, winning a domestic double in 2001–02. Despite regaining the title in 2003–04, Ajax had fallen eight points behind rivals PSV in the Eredivisie. Coupled with Ajax being knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Auxerre, 3–2 on aggregate, lead Koeman to resign the following day on 25 February 2005.[8]

Benfica[edit]

Koeman bounced back quickly from a disappointing end to his reign at Ajax in February 2005, taking up the vacant position at Portuguese champions Benfica following the departure of legendary Italian Giovanni Trapattoni. In Benfica, against whom he won the 1988 European Cup Final as a player with PSV, Koeman only won the Portuguese Super Cup; the team finished the Portuguese League in third place (behind rivals Porto and Sporting) and was knocked out of the Portuguese Cup in the quarter-finals (after losing to Vitória de Guimarães). This, along with an offer from PSV, sufficed for the manager to leave one year before the end of his contract, even though Benfica reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League before losing to Barcelona, who ended up winning the trophy.

PSV[edit]

In the 2006–07 season, Koeman served as head coach of PSV, as successor of Guus Hiddink. PSV dominated the first season half, putting competitors as AZ and Ajax at a reasonable distance and PSV was almost destined to become champions again. However, PSV suffered in the second half of the season, also because of injuries of players Jefferson Farfán, Alex and Ibrahim Afellay, obtaining only 19 out 39 possible points.[9] AZ and Ajax regained their momentum, making for a close finish, with all three teams tied at 72 points before the last competition day. AZ played struggling Excelsior in their final match, but did not manage to win. Ajax played at Willem II, but did not score enough goals; it was PSV eventually who triumphed against all odds, winning at home 5–1 against Vitesse Arnhem, and thereby becoming Eredivisie champions with one goal at front of Ajax.

Valencia[edit]

On 31 October 2007 Koeman agreed to be the new coach of Valencia after the sacking of Quique Flores, starting on 5 November 2007.[10] With Valencia he won the 2007–08 Spanish Cup, a tournament he previously won as a player of Barcelona. This was Valencia's first Copa del Rey since 1999.[11] The remainder of his tenure at Valencia would prove disappointing. The team would slump to 15th in the league, only two points above the relegation zone, along with finishing bottom of their Champions League group. A 5–1 defeat by Athletic Bilbao would prove the final nail in Koeman's time with Valencia. He was sacked the following day, on 21 April 2008.[11]

AZ[edit]

He was appointed manager of AZ on 18 May 2009,[12] after Louis van Gaal, who won the 2008–09 Eredivisie with AZ, joined Bayern Munich. On 5 December 2009, AZ announced that Koeman no longer was in charge of AZ, after losing 7 of the first 16 games in the Dutch competition.[13]

Feyenoord[edit]

On 21 July 2011, Koeman was appointed manager of Feyenoord, signing a one-year contract with the Dutch club as replacement for outgoing trainer Mario Been.[14] Through such appointment, Koeman has notably become the first man ever to serve as both player and head coach at all teams of the so-called "traditional big three" of Dutch football – Ajax, PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord.[15] Moreover, he has completed this in the same order as player and as manager. At the beginning of 2012 it was announced that his contract was extended. In February 2014, Koeman announced that he would leave his position at Feyenoord at the end of the 2013-14 season to pursue other ambitions. [16]

Some pretty well known European clubs he has managed there

I joked about Gross a few days back as a comical suggestion. Will completely join the meltdown brigade should it happen

Yep. If our crack team of 17 scouts between them can't work out that appointing Christian Gross would create a monumental sh it storm amongst Saints fans (and much hilarity elsewhere) then god help us.

Please god not him.

Yep. If our crack team of 17 scouts between them can't work out that appointing Christian Gross would create a monumental sh it storm amongst Saints fans (and much hilarity elsewhere) then god help us.

Please god not him.

What are you basing that on? The fact that he has pretty much been a success at every club he has managed apart from Spurs?

Did excellently at Basle and Stuttgart and was stupidly sacked by them.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

What are you basing that on? The fact that he has pretty much been a success at every club he has managed apart from Spurs?

Did excellently at Basle and Stuttgart and was stupidly sacked by them.

I honestly don't care. I don't want Christian Gross.

Ah, good, so it's the usual ignorant, child like, "I don't want..." argument from CB Fry.

So why don't you want him then?

I apologise for being the only person in the history of the forum for having an instinctive gut reaction response to a potential recruit to Southampton Football Club.

Luckily there are lots of other scholars here prepared to discuss the intricacies of rhe Swiss League with you. Have fun.

Hmm... not very inspiring. A lot of clubs and not much achieved, it would appear.

3 league titles + 5 cup wins + 65 games managing in the champions league (59) and Eufa cup (6)

Thats not too bad? The only job he's "failed" at was Valencia and even then he had a similar win % as MP did here.

Edited by Heisenberg

It seems he's definitely available then and keen to come to the Premier League, just whether we feel he's right for us.

I think he'd be perfect for us, would be well respected and would have good contacts to bring in decent players. It would however be another short term appointment because we would be (yet again) a stepping stone for something bigger in the PL.

Latest odds

Koemen - Evens

McLaren - 3/1

Gross - 6/1

Yakin - 6/1

Moyes - 8/1

If true that yakin's off market, that really leaves koeman's of those options as stand out. Think gross is a decent manager but when we are under siege by hostile press giving them more ammunition in the form of a manager who they pilloried at spurs doesn't seem wise.

I think he'd be perfect for us, would be well respected and would have good contacts to bring in decent players. It would however be another short term appointment because we would be (yet again) a stepping stone for something bigger in the PL.
I'd certainly be happy with him, a big enough name and character to give the club a bit of a lift.

3 league titles + 5 cup wins + 65 games managing in the champions league (59) and Eufa cup (6)

Thats not too bad? The only job he's "failed" at was Valencia and even then he had a similar win % as MP did here.

Hi Glasgow:wave: