Transfer Rumours Only

Jimmy_D

I dont think or claim that all players had release clauses, that would have been stupid of Cortese.

However i dont rule out one or two.

Is it completely infeasible that when Chambers signed last summer (aged 18 ) that his parents didnt insist on a top 4 club release clause? Perhaps it was a condition that he himself insisted on? I wouldnt rule it out.

Players talk and maybe (just maybe) one got it into the contract and then others wanted similar? Would be prudent for the club to keep quiet if so?

In theory, every talented player would have one - agents don't need to know who has or does not have one to advance their clients interests as best they can; yet out of all the talented players and youngsters that have gone through the prem, only a handful of them are known to have them in the last few years -and none are youngsters, not surprising since they don't have the bargaining power and/or valuing them is far too risky.

Despite this, despite what the club said, despite what the club had to gain from disclosing the existence of a release clause, despite the media's incentives to report such information, you think Chambers had one.

Have had this discussion elsewhere -its getting boring- will refer you to that. Try not to stink up the place, Glasgow ;)

I dont think or claim that all players had release clauses, that would have been stupid of Cortese.

However i dont rule out one or two.

Is it completely infeasible that when Chambers signed last summer (aged 18 ) that his parents didnt insist on a top 4 club release clause? Perhaps it was a condition that he himself insisted on? I wouldnt rule it out.

Players talk and maybe (just maybe) one got it into the contract and then others wanted similar? Would be prudent for the club to keep quiet if so?

I thought the release clause for one of our players was linked to Cortese leaving?

Correct, clearly no release fee.

Will always look at Chambers sale as a Koeman call. I think the manager decided that for a right back in a position he was already strong, the money was plenty and he didn't want to go to war over Calum Chambers. So he took the money.

Seems to be the case but we seem to have missed a huge trick on the CB front.

Seems to be the case but we seem to have missed a huge trick on the CB front.

Looks that way now.

Trying to work out whether him playing in the first team already makes it easier or harder to take. If he was rotting I'd be annoyed "You don't even need him Arsene" etc but this feels even worse.

Gaah. Oh well, hashtag we march on or something.

Correct, clearly no release fee.

Will always look at Chambers sale as a Koeman call. I think the manager decided that for a right back in a position he was already strong, the money was plenty and he didn't want to go to war over Calum Chambers. So he took the money.

I agree it seems like a Koeman's call, but will have been based on advice from people within the club.

A very poor decision indeed.

Just been having a read of the Spurs ITK thread on their forums, they've got a couple of Guan 2.0 and K,Billy types. (Their guy is called Goat, apparently) They are of the belief that the personal terms between Spurs and MS are done 100% and have been sorted for weeks, they just can't get us to accept a bid. (And this happens all the time by the way...)

They are saying that Southampton pulled the rug from underneath the deal as it was all in place 3 weeks ago, we (Southampton) changed the goal posts as we felt we had a point to prove. Morgan's agent is trying to take it to tribunal under a restriction of trade (???? this bit sounds utter bull**** to me). They've suggested that they will either get him in the last hour of deadline day, with Saints claiming they did all they could to keep him, or they'll get him in January. £20m upfront fee is set.

We'll see...

This is what will happen imo and this forum is going to go ape**** when it does.

I agree it seems like a Koeman's call, but will have been based on advice from people within the club.

On the face of it, I agree, but the more you see of Chambers and read his tweets, the more he strikes me as a young lad who has progressed very quickly into the big time and it seems like his ego is hugely inflated. Possibly the stereotypical "cocky little t***"!! Assuming this then it is very possible that this is a major reason why we agreed to let him go. There is no doubt that on the basis of three games it looks like a mistake and it may well be one that we live to regret - from purely a football perspective - but those who know hi within the club may not feel like that. No team needs a bad apple.

We will see in the next few months how good he really is likely to be and when Hodgson calls him up we will know a bit more. Very early days, we have seen lots of young kids look the part - many at Arsenal - but turn out not to be as expected.

This is what will happen imo and this forum is going to go ape**** when it does.

You bet it will. £20 million?

All this crap about personal terms having been agreed between them and the player is just pie in the sky if we don't accept the price they're prepared to pay. Ditto the tribunal stuff. Restriction of trade, my arse. We aren't disallowing him from playing football with us and we are his employers. We might be prepared to sell him in January, provided that a) we have a replacement for him and b) they or somebody else offers what we want for him. But by then, Pochettino will probably have been sacked and he can then think more seriously about Arsenal.

Why, Walt J? If it is in the club's interest to publicise one release clause, it would have been in its interests to publicise all them - would have shown them to be even more sympathetic prisoners of circumstance.

Of course, it doesnt explain why Lovren and Lallana had to throw a strop to get their moves; nor does it explain the negotiations that took place. If a release clause existed, it would have been impossible for us to hold out for a higher fee, as was claimed we did with the Lallana and Shaw deals.

The club made its position clear: it would have been an 'insane risk' to keep wantaway players. Need to look no further that for a motive or rationale.

Could you tell Ralph that ??

That's what makes RK's utterances all the more laughable. After the "best" horses escaped, he tries to shut the stable door re Schneiderlin

Just to try and save face in response to criticism from us Supporters. Pittiful

Could you tell Ralph that ??

That's what makes RK's utterances all the more laughable. After the "best" horses escaped, he tries to shut the stable door re Schneiderlin

Just to try and save face in response to criticism from us Supporters. Pittiful

So after a summer ranting about player sales and all the money going into a Swiss bank account (how's that working out for you?), you're now ranting because we haven't sold Morgan.

Never knowingly not swivel eyed.

I still think it was a case of get as much in as possible, MS would have been gone as well but the club had not factored in the fans unrest. The day after Chambers left Krueger was rolled out to all the media and came out with his 'we will spend all the transfer fees' cleverly worded to make us think he meant at this time, but it soon sunk he meant in the future with no time limit. The club have now said that no transfer fees will be disclosed, I wonder if we really have paid 12m for Long, it may be a lot less but makes a good headline for the club to look as though they are splashing the funds. Hull could also appease their fans as they would be sold how they screwed us off the fee.

I still think it was a case of get as much in as possible, MS would have been gone as well but the club had not factored in the fans unrest. The day after Chambers left Krueger was rolled out to all the media and came out with his 'we will spend all the transfer fees' cleverly worded to make us think he meant at this time, but it soon sunk he meant in the future with no time limit. The club have now said that no transfer fees will be disclosed, I wonder if we really have paid 12m for Long, it may be a lot less but makes a good headline for the club to look as though they are splashing the funds. Hull could also appease their fans as they would be sold how they screwed us off the fee.

Only the most spectacularly dim Saints fans thought for a second we would spend all the money in this window.

Well done. You made the cut.

I think you give us too much credit. As if the club gives a toss.

So after a summer ranting about player sales and all the money going into a Swiss bank account (how's that working out for you?), you're now ranting because we haven't sold Morgan.

Never knowingly not swivel eyed.

Thanks for the usual abuse, ( which demeans your argument by the way. Civility costs nothing )

I am not ranting because we haven't sold Schneiderlin.

I am "ranting" because of Kruegers stupid stance. He only blocked Schneiderlins imminent departure because of Fans unrest, so he had to be seen to do something.

Do you honestly think Shneiderlin will be here much longer ? If you do, you are just as misguided as Kreuger

Or maybe you are a mouthpiece for Kreuger ?

As regards the Leibherr Lolly, there is still a fair wedge left in Alpland

Thanks for the usual abuse, ( which demeans your argument by the way. Civility costs nothing )

I am "ranting" because of Kruegers stupid stance. He only blocked Schneiderlins imminent departure because of Fans unrest, so he had to be seen to do something.

Do you honestly think Shneiderlin will be here much longer ? If you do, you are just as misguided as Kreuger

But why on earth should we have such a sense of entitlement to presume this is "our money"?

It's not, it belongs to the Liebherr family, and it is through their continued benevolence that we can enjoy a premiership club that can more than compete against anyone in this league - As witness by our very encouraging display at Anfield.

If KL wishes to keep back a proportionate return on the families investment, then she has every right to do so.

But why on earth should we have such a sense of entitlement to presume this is "our money"?

It's not, it belongs to the Liebherr family, and it is through their continued benevolence that we can enjoy a premiership club that can more than compete against anyone in this league - As witness by our very encouraging display at Anfield.

If KL wishes to keep back a proportionate return on the families investment, then she has every right to do so.

Well said Sir

Only the most spectacularly dim Saints fans thought for a second we would spend all the money in this window.

Well done. You made the cut.

CB you are obviously the most intelligent poster the world has ever seen. We will all bow down to you and kiss the ground you walk on. I found his shoe a holy shoe, he must be the chosen one.

Fo someone who knows F all..you post an awful lot as ¨fact'

You have been far and away the poster making the most extreme accusations against the board which have since proved to be groundless to this point. Frankly, I'm surprised that the responses to your claptrap have been on the whole quite polite. Even in this post, you accuse Krueger of changing his mind over selling Schneiderlin due to fans' unrest, when you have absolutely no evidence for such a claim at all.

The situation is clearly that several players had reached a standard whereby we could not prevent them leaving for the top clubs, but we achieved really quite inflated prices for them. It wasn't a fire sale. KL was not cashing in on her assets. We have subsequently replaced those players and indeed added to the depth of the squad. We are still looking to buy more players to further strengthen the squad. The club is not for sale in the short term at least, we have a very good manager and what KL Liebherr does with her money is her business. There really is no particular reason to be that concerned about how the club is being run on her behalf and certainly not the shrill over-reactions that we get from you.

People have been going on and on about what a bad deal Long was, primarily for his lack of goal scoring and price. We can ignore the lack of goal scoring for the moment, as it's far too early in his Saints career to make a judgement - we can always come back to that.

But I am interested in the fee and how people think it too much - yes I know that £5m extra in 8 months is crazy. So is £12m in 11 months for Lovren?? I know that that has been covered a lot, but I am looking more at who Hull have yet to sign. They were after Welbeck who apparently Man Utd want to keep. Sunderland also seem to be after him what with Borini not having gone through. Then I look at SuperSAINT's post about Stoke not being able to sign Redmond, even though they have met the asking price. It seems that the whole of the transfer market has changed and those with PL experience really are getting a premium and clubs in our part of the league can't get who they want. Borini might be vital to Liverpool as they have YET to sign another striker. Similarly, Welbeck might be vital back-up for Utd.

Ignoring price, I guess that at least we were decisive, identified our target and went out and got him without any faffing about that usually accompanies our transfers. It will be interesting to see who Hull & Sunderland do end up signing.

Our buddy Alvaro Gonzalez makes the SSN Transfer clockwatch this morning:

Uruguay midfielder Alvaro Gonzalez continues to feature strongly on Southampton's transfer radar. The 29-year-old, who has been with Lazio for the last four seasons, has been strongly linked with Saints in the Italian press.

So would he be our winger? Or does this virtually guarantee that Corky will be off?

CB you are obviously the most intelligent poster the world has ever seen. We will all bow down to you and kiss the ground you walk on. I found his shoe a holy shoe, he must be the chosen one.

You don't need to be the most intelligent poster the world has ever seen to know we clearly were not going to spend all the money in one window. Most normal humans with an interest in Saints realised this.

As regards the Leibherr Lolly, there is still a fair wedge left in Alpland[/quote]

Not sure I'd call a fat lump a fair wedge ;):D

You don't need to be the most intelligent poster the world has ever seen to know we clearly were not going to spend all the money in one window. Most normal humans with an interest in Saints realised this.

Did most people want us to spend £100m? I certainly didn't - I want sustainability while staying competitive, which I think we have done.

Guess this might've applied to us as well?

Stoke chairman explains what happened with Redmond bid:

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer/news/11701/9430908/transfer-news-stoke-had-agreed-fees-for-nathan-redmond-and-oussama-assaidi

Am I crazy or does this make no sense:

"We met Norwich's asking price, but the club didn't want to sell and I don't have any quarrel with Norwich for that.

So Norwich asked for a certain fee but then said they don't want to sell!?! :?

i didnt think we were going to spend it,but Krueger said the words of spending every penny and that calmed the fans down. If you class yourself as a normal human then, im out

i didnt think we were going to spend it,but Krueger said the words of spending every penny and that calmed the fans down. If you class yourself as a normal human then, im out

He said that we would spend every penny, but he didn't put a time frame on that. Fans assuming that we would spend it all in one window are taking their own meaning from what Krueger said and forgetting the part where he said that the money would be reinvested on wages and transfer costs...

It would be ridiculous of us to spend all the money this window and then be left wanting during the January window after Koeman has had a couple of months to assess the squad fully.

Am I crazy or does this make no sense:

So Norwich asked for a certain fee but then said they don't want to sell!?! :?

My reading of it was that Norwich either had a release amount and Stoke met this, only for Norwich to say "yeah, but he aint for sale".

OR

Stoke wanted the player and Norwich said "ok matey, 8Million to you" to call their bluff/put them off. Stoke said "ok" and Norwich ran scared.

OR

Norwich are happy to accept 8Million, but the player refused to go to Stoke, so Norwich turned round and said "no, he's not for sale *whisper* to you..."

So you didn't think we'd spend it all in one window, neither did I and neither did pretty much every Saints fan alive, but you are still having a gripe at Krueger for supposedly inferring something which pretty much no one including you took out of what he said.

How, exactly, does that work?