Matt Targett

thorpie the sinner

Lovely ball in for Tadic with his weaker right foot showed the class he had, comfortable on the ball and defended well considering how often he was left 2 on 1 down that side. Like all our academy players seemed able to take the pressure of a big game as well, very impressed.

I cant believe the ref booked him when he was subbed? I know he was jogging really slowly but surely the ref cant book you for that as he may have been carrying an injury?

Green and Hartson on 5 Live (who were already vocally less than impressed with the ref) were quite damning of such a stupid and petty yellow from the ref, both saying that just has to be rescinded.

I've said for ages he'd turn out to be a decent player but was happily surprised by just how solid he looked in a game against the toughest team he's played in the biggest match of his life. His whole demeanour filled me with confidence. It's performances like that which will force Bertrand to keep playing well because if he lets his game slip he knows Targett might take his place.

I thought the point was that he was stood off the pitch with the physio. He could've just walked round the perimeter whilst Bertrand came on but he jogged back onto the pitch.

Anyway, that aside, he was fantastic. Although he doesn't "bomb on" like Shaw (yet) he will make runs forwards when space opens up and what I particularly like is that when he gets near the box his delivery is not predictable. He doesn't just sling it in, he looks up and considers low balls, high balls, pull-backs etc.

He plays like an experienced old pro which is probably one of the best compliments you can give a teenager.

Our squad is so much deeper this season (other than GK) - I think it's going to be very interesting.

I thought the point was that he was stood off the pitch with the physio. He could've just walked round the perimeter whilst Bertrand came on but he jogged back onto the pitch.

Yep, that why he was booked, the controversy is whether the assistant official he was standing alongside told him to go back across the pitch or failed to tell him to go around the pitch.

But that aside, a really assured performance in front of a very big crowd.

Yep, that why he was booked, the controversy is whether the assistant official he was standing alongside told him to go back across the pitch or failed to tell him to go around the pitch.

But that aside, a really assured performance in front of a very big crowd.

Indeed. However you look at it, it certainly counts as 'delaying the restart of the game'. All substitutions must take place on the halfway line and technically this one did too with the players on opposite sides of the pitch. There must have been some sort of misunderstanding.

Indeed. However you look at it, it certainly counts as 'delaying the restart of the game'. All substitutions must take place on the halfway line and technically this one did too with the players on opposite sides of the pitch. There must have been some sort of misunderstanding.

also i noticed jack wilshire whining at the ref clearly looking for a card for targett. to55er. what was with the 5.5 mins if injury time as well? defo big club syndrome influencing the ref imo

also i noticed jack wilshire whining at the ref clearly looking for a card for targett. to55er. what was with the 5.5 mins if injury time as well? defo big club syndrome influencing the ref imo

Does Jack Wiltshire actually ever do anything apart from fall over, dive, and moan at players and referees? Pointless footballer in all honesty.

You would hope that Matt Targett would take a look at the Luke Shaw situation at United and think he would be better off at Saints getting game time (which I am sure he will get more appearances after that performance at Arsenal). However, £160k a week again for the next 5 years would be difficult to turn down

You would hope that Matt Targett would take a look at the Luke Shaw situation at United and think he would be better off at Saints getting game time (which I am sure he will get more appearances after that performance at Arsenal). However, £160k a week again for the next 5 years would be difficult to turn down

I would sign for half that.

I wonder if the club have appealed Matt Targett's yellow card. A nonsense decision by the referee that should get an adverse comment in his assessment. Universal praise for Targett's performance but considering it was in front of a crowd of 60,000, probably the largest he's ever experienced, and with world class players on the pitch, its hard to understate just how well he played.

Does Jack Wiltshire actually ever do anything apart from fall over, dive, and moan at players and referees? Pointless footballer in all honesty.

...don't disagree with any of that.

(Sadly) he's never impressed me as more than a lazy, cheeky, moaning London yobbo...who thinks his club has a Divine Right to win every game.

I wonder if the club have appealed Matt Targett's yellow card. A nonsense decision by the referee that should get an adverse comment in his assessment. Universal praise for Targett's performance but considering it was in front of a crowd of 60,000, probably the largest he's ever experienced, and with world class players on the pitch, its hard to understate just how well he played.

ABSOLUTELY ! Stepping up from the U21's.... to face a World Cup player seemed just another day's workout for Matt. Well done to the lad.

NOTE: " someone " on here contradicted a statement I made some months back.....but I do seem to recall that when both Matt and Luke Shaw were both fighting for a place in the U16 side, at a time when he was rated better than Shaw, but ..if he got injured ? ..(not sure) ......and Luke came to the forefront instead. Whatever it was / is .....it was a very impressive performance by any standards.

I thought he was immense. As if he'd played 50 games already.

I'd agree with that , BUT he hasn't played 50 games yet ... and young players can come in and do well ...for a while, but lack consistancy in the longer term.

A comment I've heard before from several managers (in interview) was paraphrased by Steve Bruce and Brendan Foster (amongst others).

......." the lad looks good for ...half-a-dozen games, but it's a long season and difficult for a young, newcomer to hold that sort of form the whole time"

I know that Shaw did , but he had good support and our only other option at that time was Danny Fox :scared: so we were lucky he kept his form, but even JWP had a bit of a wobble in his first season.

I'm hopeful Matt Targett will come good, but we don't need to rush him. He will play in the Chelsea fixtures anyway (as Bertrand is only on loan) but we could do worse than have both of them for next season, as RK has stated that we need two good players for every position. We saw what happened last season when Jay Rod was injured, and fortunately we do have cover for JWP's projected 12 week absence.

Edited by david in sweden

Isn't there some kind of rule that substitutes aren't allowed to stand near the touchline in their full kit (ie they need to be wearing a bib)? If so, surely the ref either had to let him come across the middle of the pitch, or wait for him to walk all the way round the outside? If you look at it like that, he was actually saving time and the ref should have been praising him not booking him.

Green and Hartson on 5 Live (who were already vocally less than impressed with the ref) were quite damning of such a stupid and petty yellow from the ref, both saying that just has to be rescinded.

Yes I was listening to them too. It's good to hear the neutral viewpoint and you don't hear "what we don't want to do now, Adam ..." :)

Isn't there some kind of rule that substitutes aren't allowed to stand near the touchline in their full kit (ie they need to be wearing a bib)? If so, surely the ref either had to let him come across the middle of the pitch, or wait for him to walk all the way round the outside? If you look at it like that, he was actually saving time and the ref should have been praising him not booking him.

They're not allowed to warm up in their full kit but there's no argument that he should have walked around the pitch, the physio could have accompanied him. The problem was that the fourth official - who handles all substitutions - was on the other side and had already let Ryan enter the field of play. I just think that Targett's mind was elsewhere and before anybody could say anything he had seen his number and ran on automatically. He definitely delayed the restart of the game. He certainly didn't have the referee's permission to enter the field of play.

The vultures are circling already, but given he's a local lad we might just have a chance of keeping him.........might. He should take note of tubby Shaw's current situation and ignore Wenger when he comes knocking.

Maybe the exodus was a blessing in disguise. Not only do we look incredibly strong, those currently enjoying acclaim at Southampton might appreciate that it will not follow them should they leave.

They're not allowed to warm up in their full kit but there's no argument that he should have walked around the pitch, the physio could have accompanied him. The problem was that the fourth official - who handles all substitutions - was on the other side and had already let Ryan enter the field of play. I just think that Targett's mind was elsewhere and before anybody could say anything he had seen his number and ran on automatically. He definitely delayed the restart of the game. He certainly didn't have the referee's permission to enter the field of play.

I was expecting an appeal based on Adam Blackmore saying that Matt Targett was walking as fast as the cramp would allow him, but the above might change things. If an injured player has left the field he isn't allowed back on without the referee's permission and would have to go around the touchline. If a player can't walk, the physio can assist or call for the stretcher. But if the injured player is on the pitch and needs to leave, the rules simply say that the physio should arrange the player's safe and swift removal. If Targett had actually left the pitch and then came back on, that would warrant a card for unsporting behaviour. If he hadn't left field and simply went across to the tunnel as best he could when told to come off, the ref may have treated him as simply being subbed, instead of as an injured player. That might be the key as to whether an appeal would succeed.

They're not allowed to warm up in their full kit but there's no argument that he should have walked around the pitch, the physio could have accompanied him.

What's the difference? If we'd had an attack while he was walking along the touchline in his kit, how is the linesman on the other side of the pitch supposed to distinguish between him and our left winger? That's the reason they can't warm up without a bib on. Maybe the answer is for the trainer to have a bib in his bag for injured players to put on, but that wasn't the case here.

also i noticed jack wilshire whining at the ref clearly looking for a card for targett. to55er. what was with the 5.5 mins if injury time as well? deco big club syndrome influencing the ref imo

That's just not true, the ref was a Football League ref not one of the PL boys so doubtful he ever refs the big clubs. Remember too the official rule is "A minimum of 4 minutes"

I was expecting an appeal based on Adam Blackmore saying that Matt Targett was walking as fast as the cramp would allow him, but the above might change things. If an injured player has left the field he isn't allowed back on without the referee's permission and would have to go around the touchline. If a player can't walk, the physio can assist or call for the stretcher. But if the injured player is on the pitch and needs to leave, the rules simply say that the physio should arrange the player's safe and swift removal. If Targett had actually left the pitch and then came back on, that would warrant a card for unsporting behaviour. If he hadn't left field and simply went across to the tunnel as best he could when told to come off, the ref may have treated him as simply being subbed, instead of as an injured player. That might be the key as to whether an appeal would succeed.

You can't appeal a yellow card.

What's the difference? If we'd had an attack while he was walking along the touchline in his kit, how is the linesman on the other side of the pitch supposed to distinguish between him and our left winger? That's the reason they can't warm up without a bib on. Maybe the answer is for the trainer to have a bib in his bag for injured players to put on, but that wasn't the case here.

Normally if he's a walking wounded then he would be accompanied by the physio in his journey round the pitch. The linesman (I still can't call them assistant refs) is perfectly capable of distinguishing between him and the players on the field. They have to do it all the time anyway, deciding who is interfering with play and who is inactive. In this case he would be easy to ignore.