• Ward-Prowse
    • Davis, S
    • Tadic
    • Mane
    • Pelle
    • Reed
    • Yoshida
    • Long

What an absolutely brilliant way to kick off 2015!

Big Vic was absolutely immense today, he's having a great season! I thought Gardos was very impressive today too, he is a very confident, composed, cultured CB.

FF definitely deserves praise today too, he was solid at the back and his save just before we scored our 2nd goal was absolutely crucial in securing the win.

When Mané went off I think everyone was expecting to see Shane Long but I thought it was an excellent decision to bring on Harri Reed with his energy and break up play.

In fourth place on the 1st January 2015, who'd have thought it!? This tees up our next league game away at United!

Barasti was packed today. Another good Dubai Saints turnout.

Table full of Gooners on their hols sat next to us. Tell you what, they won't agree with Wenger's comments, they saw the game for what it was.

In fact they showed a far better range of facepalms than Arsene!

What THEY noted was how our Spirit makes such a difference, so many players battle to win the ball back, we hunt in packs, everyone knows where to run into when we have the ball, how our defenders were blocking shots and crosses throwing our bodies on the line.

Was it a clear Red? from behind the goal camera angle Fonte was very close and could have still pushed him wide, much more debatable than the "How was Gary Cahill not sent off" and "Oh look Fabregas cheating again" in the Spuds Chelski game (Spurs put the ball out for a Chelsea player injury & Fabregas plays the ball into an attacking position)

Gardos is starting to look a real prospect, can see he is building confidence and has developed, hope we can keep giving him some game time to develop, he is still so young as well.

What a moment of magic by VW. His MLTesque mazy dribble - SOMEONE must have that on a video surely?

Toby at RB reminded me of the Chambers v Clyne debate last season, we looked more solid defensively but missed that extra pace & attacking intent when he (occassionally) got into the danger zone, but no gripe.

The result was never in doubt, the Gooners acknowledged that, not a bad performance AGAIN from anyone on the pitch.

Somehow JWP needs to score with his arse or some wind assisted fluke because when he has time to think his finishing is either woeful OR he is the unluckiest player to ever play in the EPL.

What a cure for a MASSIVE hangover - Bloody great result, loved the game and LOVE the way our Saints fan Arabic 'tater goes nuts when we score!

I don't disagree. The refereeing has been abysmal this season. For the whole league in general

Ref at Sheffield was a shocker too imo , is refereeing going down hill in this country? Or just hd tv and multi angles show more that we used to see !?

What a game. Thought arse were the better team until we scored and the stuffing was knocked out of them. Second half we were the better team. Big vic was a tank and my motm but Toby was again awesome and was a great change from koeman to move him to the middle towards the end as Gardos seemed a bit error prone to me and a bit panicky although he wasn't too bad as arse has a fair bit of pace, especially the ox.

Big kudos to manes goal, looked like a pass but I reckon he meant it as a shot.

What a game. Thought arse were the better team until we scored and the stuffing was knocked out of them. Second half we were the better team. Big vic was a tank and my motm but Toby was again awesome and was a great change from koeman to move him to the middle towards the end as Gardos seemed a bit error prone to me and a bit panicky although he wasn't too bad as arse has a fair bit of pace, especially the ox.

Big kudos to manes goal, looked like a pass but I reckon he meant it as a shot.

Was a shot all day long.

I see the Wenger image has already been shared, this one is from the BBC:

p35EkmJ.jpg

Deserves adding to our nice selection of face palm emoticons. :lol:

As Saints take The Gooners apart at St. Mary's -- Arsene Wenger is 'reduced' to this. ;)

FN1JW7u.png

65VnzVH.png

cYrO9O7.png

Awesome performance today, with let us not forget, still some key players of our own unavailable through injury and suspension.

As each game passes, and we keep stringing the wins together, interspersed with hard battled for points along the way to keep the unbeaten runs and the momentum we've built going, it looks more and more like we could genuinely put in a serious challenge at the top end of the table.

The players believe. They clearly have developed a strong bond of togetherness, forged a great belief in eachother, in Ronald Koeman, in the philosophy of the club, and the way we are playing.

Slowly, it seems that our fanbase (of what to be honest, at times can be a depressing bunch of 'realists'), perennially daring not to lift our hopes, lest they be cruelly dashed in the manner we've become so accustomed to over the years; is even begining to come around to the idea, that the so called 'impossible dream', may just be edging one step closer to entering into the realms of reality.

I do completely understand such deeply entrenched pessimism. It is a charactistic bred within our collective psyche over a long period of a great many footballing 'sufferings'.

Yet as a New Year is kicked off with a 2-0 "stuffing" of 'The Arse' -- a hard-fought victory which could so easily have been vastly more resounding in manner with a little more composure in front of goal -- a marker and a platform laid down, from which we can galvanise and build upon - I would propose that it is time for us collectively, to gird our loins with the same character and belief in our players as they clearly have in themselves, as a TEAM to be reckoned with.

Feet on the ground with Ronald Koeman masterfully leading the way - taking it each game as it comes. No fear of what the future may bring. This moment, right now, is where "#It'sHappening" ;) - and for most of us who've been around a fair while, as Saints fans, 'the moment' rarely has been more 'magical' than it is right now.

Just let go -- and enjoy the ride. :D

#WeMarchOn :toppa:

Very well said sir.

The best bit of today was the two contrasting train journeys. The first 16 minutes from Winchester into Southampton while sharing a train with some very over-confident Arsenal fans beautifully complimented by the silent stunned sods occupying the train on the way back.

Most satisfying. We are where we are on merit, it's time to respect that.

The best bit of today was the two contrasting train journeys. The first 16 minutes from Winchester into Southampton while sharing a train with some very over-confident Arsenal fans beautifully complimented by the silent stunned sods occupying the train on the way back.

Most satisfying. We are where we are on merit, it's time to respect that.

Reminds me of the cup final day. I could not believe the fact that before the game, they were not even bothered by the FA Cup. Last season they went nuts for the cup! What we would have done for a win on that day in the cup final. Same cocky Arsenal fans I see up this way all the time, along with Spurs fans........ It is great to get a win against them!

Not sure if its been mentioned before but funny how media/journos are all rating Ward Prowse today and he hasn't got a single vote on the poll from us lot! Saw he was Motm for a couple of websites/papers and in Garth Crooks team of the week. Whose wrong?!

He was brilliant today.... Just could not put the ball in the net and unfortunately, this is what most see on here, rather than the bigger picture.....

I fancied it today when I saw their team , with no striker . The bloke wenger should be looking at isn't the keeper but Giroud. Would have been a different game with him in . They got in some useful wide positions but couldn't cross the ball as it had to be so precise for one of the midgets to head in.

Great to win without Morgan. Victor was great and well played to Reed who got stuck in and ruffled a few expensive feathers. Well done to Yoshida as well, that can't be easy , coming on against those type of players and playing out of position. SD was his normal unsung tidy self , but my MOM was The Keeper. The Sanchez save was the turning point of the game .

I thought support was great today as well.

Reminds me of the cup final day. I could not believe the fact that before the game, they were not even bothered by the FA Cup. Last season they went nuts for the cup! What we would have done for a win on that day in the cup final. Same cocky Arsenal fans I see up this way all the time, along with Spurs fans........ It is great to get a win against them!

biggest plastic support in London in my opinion. Really dislike Arsenal since moving up to London, their fan base seems to be largely made up of student types from the rest of the country who've moved to London and started "supporting" Arsenal.

I see the Wenger image has already been shared, this one is from the BBC:

p35EkmJ.jpg

Deserves adding to our nice selection of face palm emoticons. :lol:

As Saints take The Gooners apart at St. Mary's -- Arsene Wenger is 'reduced' to this. ;)

FN1JW7u.png

65VnzVH.png

cYrO9O7.png

Awesome performance today, with let us not forget, still some key players of our own unavailable through injury and suspension.

As each game passes, and we keep stringing the wins together, interspersed with hard battled for points along the way to keep the unbeaten runs and the momentum we've built going, it looks more and more like we could genuinely put in a serious challenge at the top end of the table.

The players believe. They clearly have developed a strong bond of togetherness, forged a great belief in eachother, in Ronald Koeman, in the philosophy of the club, and the way we are playing.

Slowly, it seems that our fanbase (of what to be honest, at times can be a depressing bunch of 'realists'), perennially daring not to lift our hopes, lest they be cruelly dashed in the manner we've become so accustomed to over the years; is even begining to come around to the idea, that the so called 'impossible dream', may just be edging one step closer to entering into the realms of reality.

I do completely understand such deeply entrenched pessimism. It is a charactistic bred within our collective psyche over a long period of a great many footballing 'sufferings'.

Yet as a New Year is kicked off with a 2-0 "stuffing" of 'The Arse' -- a hard-fought victory which could so easily have been vastly more resounding in manner with a little more composure in front of goal -- a marker and a platform laid down, from which we can galvanise and build upon - I would propose that it is time for us collectively, to gird our loins with the same character and belief in our players as they clearly have in themselves, as a TEAM to be reckoned with.

Feet on the ground with Ronald Koeman masterfully leading the way - taking it each game as it comes. No fear of what the future may bring. This moment, right now, is where "#It'sHappening" ;) - and for most of us who've been around a fair while, as Saints fans, 'the moment' rarely has been more 'magical' than it is right now.

Just let go -- and enjoy the ride. :D

#WeMarchOn :toppa:

This this and this. Quality post.

Commentators on both Sky and BBC said that the wind helped Mane for the goal, ignoring the fact that the wind was blowing AWAY from goal as shown by the corner flag behind him.

He got an extraordinary amount of bend on the shot; it was a thing of great beauty. A stunning goal.

Today another player came of age. His name is Harrison Reed.

I assume you didn't watch his last appearance then? Because everyone else was fine with him after that one.

The thing I've been most impressed with in the past two months is the way some of the fringe players have proven themselves worthy of inclusion. Reed has been energetic and hard-working in both his appearances, and we've found the best way to use Yoshida and Gardos when required. Targett is coming along pretty well too.

Gardos was lucky to stay on, sure, but overall I was very happy with his contribution. He hardly put a foot wrong in the rest of the match.

His passing was utter toss, which was why he was taken off. Arsenal stood off him, closed down the options and waited for him to give it back. Yoshida has his faults, but as Arsenal weren't going to threaten in the air, he was a much better option on the pitch when the onus was on us to manage possession and kill the game off

Overall though Gardos has shown why we've signed him defensively, but don't give him the ball. :D

According to John Cross in The Mirror that was the first time this season Arsenal were able to field their first-choice back four!

Good lord, if that was their first choice back four, gawd help them.

I think the problem was the two in front of them. Coquelin and Chambers are nowhere near the level they need to be as DMs yet. Mertesacker looked ponderous too though.

Yes he was. It was a sending off

We got lucky again at home

Just like it was a penalty for chelsea

Thought it was never a red card offence from in the ground, but thought I would wait until seeing motd before posting.

It was the correct decision, a yellow.

Graham Poll has described "clear goal scoring opportunity" as more likely than not to score. You need to consider control of the ball, direction of travel, where ball and players are etc.

Yes he was running at goal but was outside the box, had Forster and Fonte well positioned and so would likely had, if not fouled , been driven wide with Fonte covering. Maybe could have scored but we missed 3 or 4 easier chances . wasn't more likely than not he would have scored - so if this is how refs are briefed you can see why never a red.

Didn't hear it mentioned on the radio on the way back, didn't feel contentious. The only person other than youo, making issue is a manager famous for deflecting blame.

His passing was utter toss, which was why he was taken off. Arsenal stood off him, closed down the options and waited for him to give it back. Yoshida has his faults, but as Arsenal weren't going to threaten in the air, he was a much better option on the pitch when the onus was on us to manage possession and kill the game off

Overall though Gardos has shown why we've signed him defensively, but don't give him the ball. :D

IMO Gardos went off because of his yellow; with Sanchez running at us another card was a real risk. Very similar to Maya v Chelsea, once he was booked and with Hazard to content with etc. Of course moving Toby was helpful

Not sure if anyone's mentioned...but thought yesterday was a good indication that the southampton midfield can still be up to a very very high standard without schneiderlin.

Doesn't need repeating but FF had a great game.

Up front, thought Pelle had good ball distribution and shielded the ball well, but again seems to have lost that goal machine spark he had at he beginning of the season. However I think Whats really positive is that unlike say Leicester, where if Ulloa stops scoring their points just dry up, Saints have shown the last few games that we aren't reliant on Pelle as much as I thought we would be back in October. Bertrand, Toby, mane etc have all scored the last few games and I think taking that's good to take pressure of pelle being the only one capable of scoring