Penalty Takers

kwsaint

I know that we were spoiled with SRL and MLT, who scored 80/81 penalties between them, but why does Tadic still take penalties? He missed against Burnley, and both the successful penalties against Arsenal in the LC and today were dribbled down the middle of the goal. Personally I would have big Vic taking them and just thump them in.

Thought Tadic was much better today otherwise, especially in the first half.

Personally, Pelle, as a striker should be screaming to take them- a goal would do him a wonder of good...

If not, Davis, Morgan and Toby I reckon have it in them to take a good penalty.

Had he been on the pitch at the time perhaps he would . Bit surprised that Tadic had the nod today, despite the Burnley outcome. Agree we need someone who can blast them regularly rather than trickle them down the middle which does not insire confidence at all.

Personally, Pelle, as a striker should be screaming to take them- a goal would do him a wonder of good...

Davis?! The worst finisher, along with JWP, in the side.

Davis?! The worst finisher, along with JWP, in the side.

I reckon he has a decent shot power, confidence and dead ball ability to take a penalty- I'm pretty sure he takes penalties for NI as well?

Funny how no one has said JWP either to take a penalty lol.

I reckon he has a decent shot power, confidence and dead ball ability to take a penalty- I'm pretty sure he takes penalties for NI as well?

Funny how no one has said JWP either to take a penalty lol.

Agree can't think anyone would be worse than Tadic though

Pelle, does not fancy them. Bit weird really, but I think a striker should jump at the chance of a free shot.

Was the Burnley one also down the middle? I thought it went to the side, and was a 'poor' penalty rather than a shocking one. Arsenal & Chelsea were awful, but they did go in...

I know Lambert & Le Tiss were both also excellent free kick takers but I'm not sure it necessarily follows that the two go hand in hand, penalties require a lot more composure and nerve. Credit at least to Tadic for stepping up again despite missing the last one - for a player supposedly lacking bottle it would be easy for him to give someone else a go.

We've been massively spoilt in the last 5 years with Rickie, an exquisite penalty taker. I'd suggest that we won't get one as good as that for a while, so don't heap too much pressure on Tadic. He scored it at the end of the day!

A goal is a goal, scuffed, scrambled, shouldered in or whatever. As long as it's the back of the net and it gets us a result I couldn't care less.

Lots of stories about us scoring 52 out of 55 PL penalities. Who are the three who have missed for us in the Premier League? Tadic is one, clearly, can't remember Beattie missing one, so I would guess Magilton and maybe Dodd are the other two?

Of course we had a number of misses in the Football League years, even excluding the Derby shootout, Billy Sharp and Quashie are two which spring to mind.

I had some banter on Facebook yesterday about Tadic and his penalty taking.

Why do you think he takes them; could it be because he's considered to be the best man for the job?

He's taken three penalties and scored two of them; against Arsenal he waited for the keeper to commit and then rolled it the other direction, against Burnley it was well struck but the keeper made a good save and yesterday Courtois dived and almost got lucky by saving it with his feet.

I'd say a decent conversation rate for a regular penality taker is in the region of eight out of ten; Tadic has two out of three so is in the same ball-park.

He also used to take them for Twente, although I've not been able to find his conversation rate; however I'd imagine it was pretty decent for Koeman to entrust him with them, especially as he missed his last one.

Perhaps let's all reserve judgement on him being a carp penalty taker until he's taken a few more eh?!

Lots of stories about us scoring 52 out of 55 PL penalities. Who are the three who have missed for us in the Premier League? Tadic is one, clearly, can't remember Beattie missing one, so I would guess Magilton and maybe Dodd are the other two?

Of course we had a number of misses in the Football League years, even excluding the Derby shootout, Billy Sharp and Quashie are two which spring to mind.

The two that were missed by McGoldrick and Wotton in the 3-0 home defeat to Watford stick in the mind!

Championship

Remember that well, incredible to think how **** we were back then. Those pens were in the first 15 mins as well, I recall. We've been rather lucky to have had 2 of the best penalty takers in this era at our club. Tadic doesnt inspire much confidence. Talking of pens, we are still the only team yet to concede one so we have certainly been lucky with that. Fonte on Aguero, his handball at Newcastle and Targett against Chelsea spring to mind. To be fair Tadic did clip Ivanovic, who went over too theatrically. Ref should have booked him if its not a pen.

I have noticed refs seems to be more wary of awarding them to some of the bigger sides these days, probably due to the influence of cheating players like Suarez on our game. Zabaleta's on sarturday was a stonewall pen, sure it would have been given a few years ago.

Edited by Saint_Tony

The two that were missed by McGoldrick and Wotton in the 3-0 home defeat to Watford stick in the mind!

That was such a depressing game. We were so, so crap back then.

I mean look at the lineup from that game:

Davis, James (Thomson 65), Lancashire, Cork, Mills, Smith (Pekhart 83), Lallana, Wotton, McGoldrick, Robertson, Surman.

Subs Not Used: Bialkowski, Perry, Gillett.

How low we sunk. That is a stinker of a team, bar a couple of obvious decent shining lights.

That was such a depressing game. We were so, so crap back then.

I mean look at the lineup from that game:

Davis, James (Thomson 65), Lancashire, Cork, Mills, Smith (Pekhart 83), Lallana, Wotton, McGoldrick, Robertson, Surman.

Subs Not Used: Bialkowski, Perry, Gillett.

How low we sunk. That is a stinker of a team, bar a couple of obvious decent shining lights.

I remember Watford handing us our a$$es quite a few times in those days under Hoof-royd.

Remember that well, incredible to think how **** we were back then. Those pens were in the first 15 mins as well, I recall. We've been rather lucky to have had 2 of the best penalty takers in this era at our club. Tadic doesnt inspire much confidence. Talking of pens, we are still the only team yet to concede one so we have certainly been lucky with that. Fonte on Aguero, his handball at Newcastle and Targett against Chelsea spring to mind. To be fair Tadic did clip Ivanovic, who went over too theatrically. Ref should have booked him if its not a pen.

I have noticed refs seems to be more wary of awarding them to some of the bigger sides these days, probably due to the influence of cheating players like Suarez on our game. Zabaleta's on sarturday was a stonewall pen, sure it would have been given a few years ago.

Think Hoddle spotted this in the post-match, Vic was blocking the ref's view of the incident which probably made it harder for him to give.

I remember Watford handing us our a$$es quite a few times in those days under Hoof-royd.

The 5-1 a few years prior to that, in our PL relegation season I think, was another depressing day. They were a bloody nightmare side for us for about 5 years.

If Beattie has been hanging around to learn some stuff you'd have thought they could at least have let him give a few tips.

Did Ron take pens at all? Or did he stick mostly to free-kicks?

A professional player who is an international is not going to learn of a has-been on how to take a penalty.

A professional player who is an international is not going to learn of a has-been on how to take a penalty.

Oh sure, past experience in football has really hampered the likes of Wenger and Mourinho.

I'm sure players are smart enough to understand that someone with a good record with pens can offer some advice.

Le Tissier vs Forest 1993. Magilton vs West Ham 1997. I don't feel confident we're going to wait another 17 years before we miss another though...

Tadic might have scored, just, but im glad this thread was opened because like may of us, I had zero confidence in him. But he must be better than everyone else in training currently otherwise he wouldn't be taking them. We need the love child of MLT, Julian Dicks and Ricky Lambert.