Pre Season Tour

Saint Charlie

So far in pre season none of the U21s showing they are anywhere near the standard needed to get regular first team games.

Which is no disgrace, but shows how spoiled we have been the last few seasons with JWP, Chambers and Shaw.

Reed's statement that this season would feature more youngsters -rather than new signings- to cope with the demands of european football looking pretty brave.

So far in pre season none of the U21s showing they are anywhere near the standard needed to get regular first team games.

Which is no disgrace, but shows how spoiled we have been the last few seasons with JWP, Chambers and Shaw.

On the other hand, need to remember that our two best U21s have not come back for pre-season yet. I think we are beginning to see though that the conveyor belt of talent that is much talked about is not as good now as it was a few years ago, where are the 16/17 year olds that break through now, we are still looking for 20 year olds to push on and apparently its not happening.

The first team looked balanced but the second team was just a collection of individuals with no shape or teamwork. Soares doesn't seem to grasp that standing off opens the door.

No Schneiderlin again.

On the other hand, need to remember that our two best U21s have not come back for pre-season yet. I think we are beginning to see though that the conveyor belt of talent that is much talked about is not as good now as it was a few years ago, where are the 16/17 year olds that break through now, we are still looking for 20 year olds to push on and apparently its not happening.

I wouldn't count them as U21s. Nor Reed because they are first team squad players.

The likes of McCarthy, Gape, Gallagher will have good careers, but won't be starters at a top 12 PL club in 5 years time, I am fairly certain of that.

Perhaps though with one in the first XI lineup its not too much of an issue as they can be helped by the other players, but the PL isn't a forgiving place and you get exposed very quickly if you aren't at that level.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I don't think I've ever heard a more inane or innaccurate commentator! The second game was somewhat c**p, and a lot of the old reliables were obviously not match fit, which is hardly surprising dear drama queens, in that that was their first pre-season game and the other leagues playing start earlier than us. Our midfield looked very lightweight, which is not to say that some of them would not be OK slotted in to a stronger team structure, but let's face it, we played two teams of approximately similar strengths. Our finishing still needs work..

Not much learned, apart from we desperately need a new CB and midfielder. Gardos has to be up there with Darren Powell and Ollie Lancashire as one of the worst centre backs we've had in the past 10 years. Black box mustn't have been working the day we signed him!

This is DISsGRACE! 3 Lossos in a row, no sign of change at the top. Lorry Macmenemy in as DOF to stop the rot! and harry to bring our wheeling dealing level above 85/100.

If season tickits aint given away next we, then we riot! sHOW THE BIGWIGS THAT ITS THE FANS THAT REALLY MATTER!

This is DISsGRACE! 3 Lossos in a row, no sign of change at the top. Lorry Macmenemy in as DOF to stop the rot! and harry to bring our wheeling dealing level above 85/100.

If season tickits aint given away next we, then we riot! sHOW THE BIGWIGS THAT ITS THE FANS THAT REALLY MATTER!

So, are we close to any signings? ;)

No wonder Ronald looked angry at the end of that - they looked totally disorganised. Made him look bad.

My guess would be lack of leadership on the pitch. Fonte will be crucial to our defence again, and I reckon we need someone with great awareness alongside him at cb. Morgan needs a top quality replacement too.

We have little choice but to field kids in Europa unless we want to gamble on increaed risk to key players for the Prem. Our squad just isn't big enough to do anything else. On the strength of this afternoon, it's going to be a very steep learning curve for them, and it'll be a massive achievement if we get past the group stage.

On the plus side, Juanme and Cedric look like good signings, and Stekelenburg will do.

I wouldn't count them as U21s. Nor Reed because they are first team squad players.

LOL, lets not count some of u21s as u21s because it does not fit your agenda or back up your post. Really couldn't make it up with some of the drongos on this forum these days.

LOL, lets not count some of u21s as u21s because it does not fit your agenda or back up your post. Really couldn't make it up with some of the drongos on this forum these days.

But I'm not talking about the players who have already proven themselves to an extent at first team level like JWP, Reed and to a lesser extent Targett. They are first team players whatever their age is.

The reason they are and the others aren't is because they are better than Gape, Gallagher etc.

None of those who havent already broken into the first team reckoning on a regular basis, like Gape, McQueen, Isgrove etc are going to be PL quality players. That is all, its not an agenda its just my opinion from watching them.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Werder Bremen win the final on penalties.

1. Werder Bremen

2. Valencia

3. Red Bull Salzburg

4. Southampton

Wait. That means we qualify for champions league, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope this will be put in the ITK Snippets thread!

Going to get Sané printed on the back of my shirt.

In his defence, there is a Senegalese midfielder called Sané

However, that doesn't excuse him from calling him that seconds after saying Mané

No, he didn't score a hattrick against Atletico Villa.

I'm worried about Left back!

Yeah, I was saying the same to the guy in front of me. With Bertrand out we are pretty vulnerable in that position going into Europa. Coco Martini, or whatever his name is, looks like he has no pace and he moves like Carlton Palmer.

So the positives today were Gazzaniga, McCarthy and Stephens, Reed was his combative self without any product.

Wanyama was immense. Valencia had one chance and won the game. We were the better team.

Early days and Martinez has a lot to learn.

Many missed chances and a little disappointed with the second match. We had a bunch of individuals.

I knew Morgan wouldn't play and I think this did have an effect on the second team. Gape needs more time.

I think Saints are signing or bringing through far too many vertically challenged players.

Not impressed with any of the new players today.

Very early days.

In his defence, there is a Senegalese midfielder called Sané

However, that doesn't excuse him from calling him that seconds after saying Mané

No, he didn't score a hattrick against Atletico Villa.

Fair enough, I'll just get a kellkeeper shirt with Kevin Gazzinger's name on it.

You can't judge much from pre season and certainly if you don't know what stage of their preseason each player is or the opposition .

The time to worry is when they're fully match fit and turn in performances like that .

Exactly. There's a lot of fussing with very little justification.

The first team looked balanced but the second team was just a collection of individuals with no shape or teamwork. Soares doesn't seem to grasp that standing off opens the door.

No Schneiderlin again.

What a surprise (not)

Why bother to take him on pre season ? It was perfectly obvious that HE would not risk himself playing whilst he was/is negotiating his transfer

Anybody care to deny he's going ??

What a surprise (not)

Why bother to take him on pre season ? It was perfectly obvious that HE would not risk himself playing whilst he was/is negotiating his transfer

No-one is denying it on this forum and the management of the club are talking very openly about it too.

Don't let it stop your pointless swivel eyed trolling though.

What a surprise (not)

Why do you bother posting on here? You are a proven troll so feck off.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk