Wanyama Transfer Rumours - Summer 2015 Edition

brett24

If Big Vic goes it will mean that the Board have over ruled the manager who has repeated no one from the first squad will be sold. If there is such a difference between manager and Board we know who will win , unfortunately. Lert's hope its all gossip and poor journaalism, but doesn't look that way to me.

And you're basing those comments on what evidence?

I disagree. I don't think we should ever look to consolidate or stand still as it's a recipe for disaster. We should look to improve every year regardless of who we let go.

I agree, but patience is not the same as consolidate or stand still.

Short term decisions with ageing players would concern me on the strategy, the decisions we are making encourage me even if they don't excite me which I think is what we are all now finding frustrating.

It's almost like, we sell a player for 25 million so signing one for less than 10 must mean he is **** when in reality I would question the virtue of the amount of cash received for Shaw, Lovren and esp Lallana who was worth half what we received.

Couple that with the added security all this television money is giving the likes of Saints, WBA and Everton (it's no coincidence they are all digging thee heels in over players all of a sudden) ..I think we should be fairly optimistic if not justifiably frustrated.

Time will tell I suppose but as I say, the moral is one thing that would concern me as per one quote above, that is what killed us in 2003.

but now if they do they'll get the fans calling them liars and creating a difficult atmosphere when there really shouldn't be.

Exhibit A

If Big Vic goes it will mean that the Board have over ruled the manager who has repeated no one from the first squad will be sold. If there is such a difference between manager and Board we know who will win , unfortunately. Lert's hope its all gossip and poor journaalism, but doesn't look that way to me.

Short term decisions with ageing players would concern me on the strategy, the decisions we are making encourage me even if they don't excite me which I think is what we are all now finding frustrating.

It's almost like, we sell a player for 25 million so signing one for less than 10 must mean he is **** when in reality I would question the virtue of the amount of cash received for Shaw, Lovren and esp Lallana who was worth half what we received.

Couple that with the added security all this television money is giving the likes of Saints, WBA and Everton (it's no coincidence they are all digging thee heels in over players all of a sudden) ..I think we should be fairly optimistic if not justifiably frustrated.

Time will tell I suppose but as I say, the moral is one thing that would concern me as per one quote above, that is what killed us in 2003.

In a world where Ross Mccormack goes for 10 mil you aren't going to consistently find cheap alternatives for our top players. It may work for a bit but eventually it has to end. There's a reason juanmi soares cost us 3.5 mil rather than 15, not saying any of them will be bad, here's hoping they do well.

Short term decisions with aging players would also concern me but I'm not suggesting that. Potential top quality like Wanyama is what we should be going for or Mané, both of who were ambitious and exciting signings. It's early days but from what I've seen so far the players we have brought in this year are the same quality yet. Fine to buy some potential but imo we should be combining that with a couple of 10-15 million pound players every season and then replace what we lose with the best quality we can.

There is a balance to strike here between a canny cheaper buy and that proven quality that costs a bit more.

By buying quality like Wanyama, Clyne, Jay rod, mane etc

In addition, we don't have any top class academy products really contributing to the team at the moment and it may be a while longer before we do. Having the ability to bring in players like Lallana, Ox and Shaw to the first team has been priceless in recent times.

By buying quality like Wanyama, Clyne, Jay rod, mane etc

But when we bought them, they were unknowns. Very much in the same way as Soares, Juanmi and Clasie are. In a few seasons we'll probably be saying ''we should be buying quality like Clasie'' etc.

At the end of a day, we cannot buy the finished product. We develop talent into the finished product. I've accepted that's our place.

But when we bought them, they were unknowns. Very much in the same way as Soares, Juanmi and Clasie are. In a few seasons we'll probably be saying ''we should be buying quality like Clasie'' etc.

At the end of a day, we cannot buy the finished product. We develop talent into the finished product. I've accepted that's our place.

The fees suggest otherwise. To date Mané and Wanyama blow the current signings out of the water. And what happened to going young and English? You claimed that was a speciality and hallmark of Les Reed's transfer philosophy.

The fees suggest otherwise. To date Mané and Wanyama blow the current signings out of the water. And what happened to going young and English? You claimed that was a speciality and hallmark of Les Reed's transfer philosophy.

I would imagine that stopped when players like Benik Afobe cost £15m. The value is elsewhere, although I'm sure if English players are available at the right price they would be preferred.

Clyne cost us about £2.5m when we signed him. Soares cost us about £3.5m. Clasie will *apparently* cost up to £10 if all clauses are met, Wanyama cost us £12m. Lovren cost us about £8m, Virgil will likely cost us around £10m.

I would imagine that stopped when players like Benik Afobe cost £15m. The value is elsewhere, although I'm sure if English players are available at the right price they would be preferred.

Clyne cost us about £2.5m when we signed him. Soares cost us about £3.5m. Clasie will *apparently* cost up to £10 if all clauses are met, Wanyama cost us £12m. Lovren cost us about £8m, Virgil will likely cost us around £10m.

That's quite a selective set of examples.

For better or worse, we bought fewer, but higher 'quality' players. Critically, this was when we weren't being asked to replace star players and sitting on massive fees. For instance, it's not inconceivable that we would have spent more than £8-10m on a Clasie to replace Schneiderlin. Christ we signed Wanyama the summer we let the likes of Hammond go. Can understand the club's wariness, though am convinced that busts like Osvaldo and Ramirez could have been avoided -and it was poor execution rather than targeting quality that led us astray.

As for buying young and English, thry are clearly expensive; but they arguably have a greater capacity to appreciate than foreign players. To the extent the return on investing in young, English players maybe higher, the initial fee should be less relevant if you're thinking truly long-term.

Edited by shurlock

That's quite a selective set of examples.

For better or worse, we bought fewer, but higher 'quality' players. Critically, this was when we weren't being asked to replace star players and sitting on massive fees. For instance, it's not inconceivable that we would have spent more than £8-10m on a Clasie to replace Schneiderlin. Christ we signed Wanyama the summer we let the likes of Hammond go. Can understand the club's wariness, though am convinced that busts like Osvaldo and Ramirez could have been avoided -and it was poor execution rather than targeting quality that led us astray.

As for buying young and English, thry are clearly expensive; but they arguably have a greater capacity to appreciate than foreign players. To the extent the return on investing in young, English players maybe higher, the initial fee should be less relevant if you're thinking truly long-term.

So it seems you want us to buy one midfielder and one centre back for about £8 - £12m like we did with Wanyama and Lovren. Well, that's what we've done with Virgil (TBC) and Clasie.

If we'd done that and no other business would that have been okay as "fewer but higher quality" business?

Our other signings are squad building - Caulker for Gardos, Juanmi for Elia. And international left back. They don't feel like harbingers of a catastrophic malaise in our transfer business. Here to do a job, all of which could turn out to be effective gambles.

This time last year we loaned in a full back and half this forum went on suicide watch.

This time last year we spent £12m (which seems to be your touchstone for "quality") on a centre forward and many on this firum still haven't got over it.

It's a tough old gig this transfer lark. I'm happy to back the manager and Les to do it right.

I, for one, am looking forward to the WHY DIDNT WE GIVE ROMEU A TWELVE YEAR CONTRACT? weeping in a couple of years.

You expected us to spend £30m-£45m on 3 players on top of what we've spent?

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes.

You may be of the opinion that it's a lot of money but in the world of football it really is not especially when we sold nearly £40m of players. It would not be unreasonable to think that our budget is c.£30m on average per summer given all the TV money (excluding player sales). If Clyne and Morgan had stayed 2-3 players would of been sufficient in a normal year but as we are in Europe an additional 1-2 squad fillers were clearly necessary. Martina and Juanmi seem to be those and Steklenburg is obviously just temporry so doesn't count (he would be in the contingency category) as does Caulker for the same reason; although I think he's going to be a very important player this season and hopefully become permanent next summer (or even January like Bertrand). Clasie and Romeu have effectively replaced Morgan between them and Soares Clyne. VVD or which ever CB eventually arrives is the replacement for Toby in terms of numbers if not necessarily quality - but time will tell! Therefore so far this summer we have spent approximately £20-22m on squad, loans, and replacements leaving £15m+ surplus from sales. Add the perceived and not unrealistic £30n budget mentioned and there you get why I expect three more purchase for £30-45m both interns of quality and quantity reasons. Wages will not effect this assumption.

So it seems you want us to buy one midfielder and one centre back for about £8 - £12m like we did with Wanyama and Lovren. Well, that's what we've done with Virgil (TBC) and Clasie.

If we'd done that and no other business would that have been okay as "fewer but higher quality" business?

Our other signings are squad building - Caulker for Gardos, Juanmi for Elia. And international left back. They don't feel like harbingers of a catastrophic malaise in our transfer business. Here to do a job, all of which could turn out to be effective gambles.

This time last year we loaned in a full back and half this forum went on suicide watch.

This time last year we spent £12m (which seems to be your touchstone for "quality") on a centre forward and many on this firum still haven't got over it.

It's a tough old gig this transfer lark. I'm happy to back the manager and Les to do it right.

I, for one, am looking forward to the WHY DIDNT WE GIVE ROMEU A TWELVE YEAR CONTRACT? weeping in a couple of years.

12 year contract - what are you on about? Why would we do that?

Already explained the basic difference between the Lovren and Wanyama signings and the Virgil and Clasie ones. Clue: sentence beginning "critically...." :D

Have another read, then come back to me champ.

Edited by shurlock

Yes.

You may be of the opinion that it's a lot of money but in the world of football it really is not especially when we sold nearly £40m of players. It would not be unreasonable to think that our budget is c.£30m on average per summer given all the TV money (excluding player sales). If Clyne and Morgan had stayed 2-3 players would of been sufficient in a normal year but as we are in Europe an additional 1-2 squad fillers were clearly necessary. Martina and Juanmi seem to be those and Steklenburg is obviously just temporry so doesn't count (he would be in the contingency category) as does Caulker for the same reason; although I think he's going to be a very important player this season and hopefully become permanent next summer (or even January like Bertrand). Clasie and Romeu have effectively replaced Morgan between them and Soares Clyne. VVD or which ever CB eventually arrives is the replacement for Toby in terms of numbers if not necessarily quality - but time will tell! Therefore so far this summer we have spent approximately £20-22m on squad, loans, and replacements leaving £15m+ surplus from sales. Add the perceived and not unrealistic £30n budget mentioned and there you get why I expect three more purchase for £30-45m both interns of quality and quantity reasons. Wages will not effect this assumption.

Right so we should be spending £50-£67m this summer as it is all quite affordable, and wages have no effect. I think you should get in touch with Gareth and Les asap as this would be a revelation. Cheers

There are many things wrong with Football, one of which is the charade of "transfer windows" which carry on after the League programmes have started

Contacts should be honoured. If a player signs for 4 years, he should do 4 years. If he DOES NOT want to sign for 4 years, then Don't sign

I really hope that Everton stick to what they say, and hold Stones to his Contract. As they say, it will send a message to Players

As it stands at the moment, ALL Clubs in Football are praying for the Transfer Window to end, so that they can then assess what players they have left for their League campaign .........................

................ then it all kicks off again January 1st

Ridiculous

My bet is that Big Vic will go, plus anyone else that wants to

Then Koeman, he won't want to have to continually build a Team just to tread water. Football should take a good long look at itself IMHO

Martinez put it perfectly last night...

"....John is a massive part of that and we've got a clear idea that in life and in football money can sometimes not buy everything. This is about values and John is a vital part of our future."

Wow, this thread is classic.

Firstly, we've got one poster saying we should be spending £45m on 3 players, ignoring the way we do business since Cortese left, FFP and wages.

Then we have someone complaining that we aren't spending the same amount as we did on Mane, JRod, Lovren, Wanyama et al, even though that is exactly what we're doing.

This board really is class, bravo lads.

If he's sold, we'll go down. Massively important player and so little time to find a replacement. I'll be especially p1ssed off since we were told no one else would be sold.

I think they were pretty clear/firm nobody else will go and would expect the Club to stick to that.

If they don't then agree its a very poor situation and could even affect Koeman's immediate future.

But I believe Reed when he says nobody goes unless we want them to.

Martinez put it perfectly last night...

"....John is a massive part of that and we've got a clear idea that in life and in football money can sometimes not buy everything. This is about values and John is a vital part of our future."

He put it perfectly for Everton.

Same doesn't work for us as we have sold 6 or 7 players for 10m plus in the last 2 years, so can't suddenly get precious about values.

Fair play to Everton for digging their heels in and even if he does go this window they get a monster fee, far in excess of any of our sales.

Twitter noise Big Vic has unfollowed official Saints account. No idea if he was even following it in the first place! How Berahino-esque' date=' if true. Is this the footballer insult of choice toward their club now?[/quote']

It's insanely childish if so, but not sure if i believe it. Wanyama doesnt seem to use twitter all that much so for him to log on for the express purpose of unfollowing the clubs twitter account seems bizarre and it achieves nothing.

IMHO I dont think Victor or Mane will be sold. Before RK I would have thought that the board would just sell over the managers wishes if the price was right,but as RK said they will not be leaving there is no way he would accept being overruled. I believe he would walk as his credibility would be shot.

Dont forget RK wants to make a name for himself here, so getting a plum job at a top club. Failure here will be a massive step back hence he will be fighting for the players to stay and also getting players in

Follows Celtic and not Saints.

Something not sticking right with me. Was told he's genuinely not well.

Well really, why would a player follow his current team? What would a twitter feed tell him that he doesn't already know? Whereas following his old club makes much more sense.

I preferred your earlier post !

There are many things wrong with Football, one of which is the charade of "transfer windows" which carry on after the League programmes have started

Contacts should be honoured. If a player signs for 4 years, he should do 4 years. If he DOES NOT want to sign for 4 years, then Don't sign

I really hope that Everton stick to what they say, and hold Stones to his Contract. As they say, it will send a message to Players

As it stands at the moment, ALL Clubs in Football are praying for the Transfer Window to end, so that they can then assess what players they have left for their League campaign .........................

................ then it all kicks off again January 1st

Ridiculous

My bet is that Big Vic will go, plus anyone else that wants to

Then Koeman, he won't want to have to continually build a Team just to tread water. Football should take a good long look at itself IMHO

If players left at the end of their contracts the club would get nothing, zero, zilch for them. As for Vic. You may think he is leaving. The club seem to think otherwise.

If players left at the end of their contracts the club would get nothing, zero, zilch for them. As for Vic. You may think he is leaving. The club seem to think otherwise.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be

(Hope Vics Tummy upset doesn't prevent him getting to WHL)

Follows Celtic and not Saints.

Something not sticking right with me. Was told he's genuinely not well.

I agree.

Now I'm not one for twitter etc but it seemed when the Arsenal talk came out, he went on to his not often used Twitter and denied it/said sorry etc. It seems these days that that is the way to quash things, or at least give the impression. If he wanted to stay here, then I suspect he might have tweeted such, but he hasn't.

If he perfoms like he did last time out, then maybe it is time to move, although I would far prefer to keep him and for him to knuckle down.

Spurs telling their targets to unfollow twitter accounts is bizarre but gets in the news I guess.

Is a shame that all the players who have had interest in them can't seem to get out quick enough and seem happy to deploy underhand tactics.

Hope we stand firm, he will still be worth a decent bit next summer and we don't need the money anyway.

Edited by Saint Charlie