Nigel Adkins Interview (Saints YouTube channel, Monday)

jawillwill

Less than 400 watched it 'live'

I get the feeling the club realised it was a dodgy thing to do after recording it and now the full video will get later date 'cold' upload.

Nothing against Nigel, but the club making a video about a former manager from years ago and him being employed elsewhere is just bizarre.

Probably a lot of people, like me, were commuting home between 6 and 7pm!

Lovely man who did a wonderful job for us. Nice to see the club belatedly giving him the recognition her deserved after the shabby way he was disposed of. Nice too that he was invited back for the Villa game. Brought a tear or two to the eye. The word legend is often over used but most apt in his case.

Classy bloke. Was my favourite 2 seasons following Saints as well. Saturday 3pm and Tuesday 7:45, players who actually give a sh*t and graft like hell for each other, English core, amazing away trips and none of this Premier league day-trip plastic-ness.

Millwall away still one of my favourite away days ever.

Totally this.

After watching the interview yesterday, this transfer rumour is not much of a surprise...

HAMMOND SET FOR LOAN

Leicester midfielder Dean Hammond could be sent out on loan after falling down the pecking order, writes the Leicester Mercury.

Hammond has made just one appearance this season, in the Capital One Cup win against Bury, and the paper says Sheffield United are among several Football League clubs interested in a loan deal.

Great video. My son is leaving home for his first term at Uni this weekend, and I'm quite emotional about it to be honest. Watching Saints together over those two seasons gave us some very happy memories that came at just the right time for us really. Will always be greatful for those times so thanks Nige!

Edited by colehillsaint

No chance will that happen

Correct. Everyone has moved on, and our Nigel hasn't turned out to be the greatest English manager of his generation after all, so no.

I will be quite happy if he never comes back - he's had his time and it's there forever. It doesn't need another chapter.

A great watch. Real lump in your throat watching that.

Notnowcato is right. "Things to learn from Nigel (not to any ex managers or chairmen in particular): dignity, grace, genuine, hard work and belief in those around you."

I smiled at his glowing tribute to every player he worked with, describing them all "a lovely lovely fella, smashing bloke."

Aside from being confused as to who was in 3rd place in the table at one time, he has encyclopaedic recall of every game, every player, every goal.

It seemed to me he did well with the young players, developing them and giveing them a chance, so I would love to see him back in Youth Development with us.

Much as I still love watching saints there was something special about those three seasons in league one and champ that seems to be missing now.

It was the whole "Together as One" philosophy. It was more than just some nice media soundbite, or empty clichéd sentiment.

It was a tangible asset, and something you could genuinely feel. Everything about the Club at that time, had that special connection running through it, and we as a Club, players, management, support, were truly united. I am convinced that the "Spirit of Southampton" factor we had seeping through the core of the Club, won us points on its own. There was just such a belief and unity in everything we did, that failure to achieve our goals just felt bordering on the impossible, for as long as we kept everyone together.

Time passes, and now these few years down the road, and most of that core has moved on, and that same feeling of connection to our players has diminished somewhat during the transition -- but those times that we had -- the football we played, and the sheer enjoyment of being part of such a special journey, will always be a part of our history, that no-one can take away from us.

That part of our journey has past, and we have since arrived at our destination, but we had it -- and those memories will last for the rest of our lives. :)

In addition -- Crab Lungs, if you see this message mate -- do you still happen to have a copy lying around somewhere of that wonderful tribute site you made for us to all pass on our thanks and best wishes to Nigel?

Would be nice to have a nostalgic scan back through some of the messages if possible.

Thanks. :)

I smiled at his glowing tribute to every player he worked with, describing them all "a lovely lovely fella, smashing bloke."

Maybe I missed it, but I was struck when watching that SRL failed to get (much of) a mention.

He had a bit of a man-love thing for Dean Hammond though, guess he will be at Bramall Lane come January.

We may not have been as professional and at such a high level when Nigel was here. But the heart and soul of the club was very much diminished when he went and has not been recovered. I'd rather potter along with him as manager and have relegation scraps every year than come 8th every other season and get knocked out of europe playing long ball.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed poch and think Koeman is a very good manager for us. But Nigel was getting on top of it when he went, and that man lived and breathed the "football club" as much as any fan.

Watching it now brings both a smile to my face and reminds me how gutted he was when he was sacked. Bittersweet interview to say the least!

No chance will that happen

Why? Never say never. I wonder why Nigel would have agreed to shoot that video? How many other ex-managers have gone back to their old clubs (that have sacked them in a questionable manner) and shot a video reminiscing over the last 5 years that they've missed mostly? You have to admit, it's not exactly the most common thing to happen. The club clearly have mended some bridges and it would not surprise me in the slightest to see him return to be honest - it can and has happened.

It was the whole "Together as One" philosophy. It was more than just some nice media soundbite, or empty clichéd sentiment.

It was a tangible asset, and something you could genuinely feel. Everything about the Club at that time, had that special connection running through it, and we as a Club, players, management, support, were truly united. I am convinced that the "Spirit of Southampton" factor we had seeping through the core of the Club, won us points on its own. There was just such a belief and unity in everything we did, that failure to achieve our goals just felt bordering on the impossible, for as long as we kept everyone together.

Time passes, and now these few years down the road, and most of that core has moved on, and that same feeling of connection to our players has diminished somewhat during the transition -- but those times that we had -- the football we played, and the sheer enjoyment of being part of such a special journey, will always be a part of our history, that no-one can take away from us.

That part of our journey has past, and we have since arrived at our destination, but we had it -- and those memories will last for the rest of our lives. :)

In addition -- Crab Lungs, if you see this message mate -- do you still happen to have a copy lying around somewhere of that wonderful tribute site you made for us to all pass on our thanks and best wishes to Nigel?

Would be nice to have a nostalgic scan back through some of the messages if possible.

Thanks. :)

Yeah i can probs my fire it back up again but I've saved all the messages anyway, and after watching that, I think I will actually get that book done! Might only make one copy for Nige tho! I'll try get it up and running when I can so you can have a browse. Had to close it eventually as the skates got wind of it and sadly, the messages they left were repugnant and immature, usual rubbish about f()cling horses but some wishing death etc which would have just ruined it if I'd left it on there.

Just watched it tonight, what a top bloke he is and what a fantastic job he did at Saints. I remember when I heard the news that Nigel had been sacked it felt like death in the family, proper devastated..

Hope he does well at Sheffield, nothing but respect and best wishes for the bloke.

• 2 months later...

Hasn't gone well for him so far, pretty much since he left Saints to be honest.

Could end up back here in the Academy perhaps? If he fails at Sheff Utd his next job will probably be with a S****horpe sized club again which probably isn't how he saw it going.

Wonder if his positivity has almost become a parody of itself?

losing at home again.

far from the next great england manager/english manager/next fergie

sheff united sit 12th as results stand...awful really

Very poor. Shame for our Nige but that is not good enough for a club like Sheffield United and they've spent a few quid too I think. I would think they're not happy down there.

Very poor. Shame for our Nige but that is not good enough for a club like Sheffield United and they've spent a few quid too I think. I would think they're not happy down there.

Remember when pardew was our manager, he said we were going to the premier league with or without him.

Maybe the players took adkins up more so than the other way?

I know that is the unspeakable here.....

Plus simply havent had as good players. We could field a L1 lineup with Fonte, Schneiderlin , Chamberlain, Lallana and Lambert which says it all.

No team has had a clutch of players like that in league 1.

You need to be like Brentford, Doncaster, Rotherham or an MK Dons to get out of league 1. Not saints of 5 years ago or what ever it was

Remember when pardew was our manager, he said we were going to the premier league with or without him.

Maybe the players took adkins up more so than the other way?

I know that is the unspeakable here.....

Maybe. We were going up under Pardew whatever, it's only him falling out with Cortese that stopped that.

But you can't take that Championship season away from Nigel. He did it.

Whatever Nige does or doesn't do for the rest of his career doesn't impact the fact that he did a great job with us. Yep, he had plenty in his favour but he still had to put a team out and do it and he did.

I said many times when people were going nuts about how he was the next great young English manager/new Alex Ferguson etc that he could just as likely be the next Owen Coyle, Phil Brown, Aidy Boothroyd, Tony Mowbray etc. There's loads of managers with one purple patch at one club, maybe two and then not much anywhere else ever.

I think we can agree he isn't the next great young English manager. Still love him though.

losing at home again.

far from the next great england manager/english manager/next fergie

sheff united sit 12th as results stand...awful really

Plus simply havent had as good players. We could field a L1 lineup with Fonte, Schneiderlin , Chamberlain, Lallana and Lambert which says it all.

No team has had a clutch of players like that in league 1.

You need to be like Brentford, Doncaster, Rotherham or an MK Dons to get out of league 1. Not saints of 5 years ago or what ever it was

Blimey.......the penny has dropped.

Blessed with what he was left by Pardew.

Really should've had at least one champions trophy....either Lge 1 or Championship.

Underachieved.

Shown his true worth ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Adkins was appointed we had 4 points, Brighton already had 10. By the end of the season we were only 3 points behind with a better GD. To all in tents and porpoises, Adkins did win that League. Over the course of his tenure he outscored every other club in League 1.

He came so close to winning the Championship and would have done had we not been mugged in that Friday night game against Reading, or if the ref had given the most blatant red card ever when we were 1-0 up at Boro in the penultimate game.

If anyone thinks it's easy just because you've built an expensive squad with good players, just look at West Ham's squad that season which was far more expensive and we beat. Does that prove BFS was an absolute liability too, or is winning the League not as easy as it looks?

Saw the result yesterday, not going so well for him at the mo.

Had a quick nose on the Sheff Utd website and they have a quick snippet of his interview:

http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/sheffield-united-shrewsbury-town-nigel-adkins-2818807.aspx

Don't think I can ever remember him sounding so downbeat. I guess his positivity isn't having the desired effect, so he will have to try something else out. Still a Saints legend though despite what some people want to think...