Guess the New Sponsor

sir woody

Virgin Media would be an odd choice. No obvious brand linkages and generally considered a shoddy company in terms of service. Also a Sky competitor.

Not to mention crap name on a shirt.

That said, as a fan the main consideration is how much money a sponsor provides.

Virgin Media would be an odd choice. No obvious brand linkages and generally considered a shoddy company in terms of service. Also a Sky competitor.

That said, as a fan the main consideration is how much money a sponsor provides.

Really? Head office is local. Liberty Global are keen to grow their acquisition. They show more football than Sky as they give BT Sport 'free' to their top tier customers...

Whats that got to do with who we have as a sponsor? Just because they have the TV rights doesn't mean we can't have their rival as a club sponsor.

Whats that got to do with who we have as a sponsor? Just because they have the TV rights doesn't mean we can't have their rival as a club sponsor.

Nothing really. Just a footnote to their interest (if its true).

Just don't see Virgin Media as particularly "Saints" myself.

But ultimately, like a kit, its fairly irrelevant. If they pay good money then fine.

Edited by Saint Charlie

As long as they give ST holders discount on their packages as the costs for Virgin Media are soaring and you don't even get Sky Sports HD or Sky Atlantic.

Sky customers don't get any hd without an additional payment.

Or the Virgin St Mary's Stadium...Will help get all the bible basher's in the US supporting us :lol:

Yank here, and taking the comment way too seriously to boot.

I grant you that there are a shocking number of youth Christian soccer leagues in well-to-do suburbs of southern cities... unfortunately, these sorts of kids (and their parents) tend to be the biggest sort of frontrunner fans imaginable, and will pick their team purely based on "teh biggest" -- the ones i see are invariably in MUFC or Liverpool or Arsenal gear.

For whatever reason, in the US, Chelsea seems to be exclusively the domain of wealthy foreign or first-gen immigrant kids (lots of Indian-American and Asian-American fans... some Arsenal crossover there too.) City don't get a much love; Spurs might as well be as invisible as SFC.

Much as it pains me to say it, the only way Saints are going to break into the wider consciousness over here is to pull a Leicester or sign one of the rising American prospects (overpay much?) and then play them every week.

Yank here, and taking the comment way too seriously to boot.

I grant you that there are a shocking number of youth Christian soccer leagues in well-to-do suburbs of southern cities... unfortunately, these sorts of kids (and their parents) tend to be the biggest sort of frontrunner fans imaginable, and will pick their team purely based on "teh biggest" -- the ones i see are invariably in MUFC or Liverpool or Arsenal gear.

For whatever reason, in the US, Chelsea seems to be exclusively the domain of wealthy foreign or first-gen immigrant kids (lots of Indian-American and Asian-American fans... some Arsenal crossover there too.) City don't get a much love; Spurs might as well be as invisible as SFC.

Much as it pains me to say it, the only way Saints are going to break into the wider consciousness over here is to pull a Leicester or sign one of the rising American prospects (overpay much?) and then play them every week.

Yeah I was only joking. Best hope is for us to pick up the "American Gareth Bale" into our academy soon as then and let the US fans roll in there droves by the time he's 18/19 :thumbup:

I overheard some bloke at the testimonial stating that in the US some people think we are bigger than Man Utd. Right....

Nah. They're world famous and American non-sports fans would be able to name them. Similarly I know nothing about American Football but I can easily name a couple of famous teams, like the Kansas City Bengals and the Texas Red Sox.

Nah. They're world famous and American non-sports fans would be able to name them. Similarly I know nothing about American Football but I can easily name a couple of famous teams, like the Kansas City Bengals and the Texas Red Sox.

Very good CB.

glengarryleads - there is the obvious question to ask you. Being a Yank, why do you support Saints rather than the big boys, and if Saints can appeal to you, can't it to others?

primordially, because I grew up with an underdog complex, based on family allegiance to Vanderbilt University, the perpetual runt of college football's vaunted Southeastern Conference.

I was all in on the World Cups, but beyond that, back in the 90s, it was pretty hard to follow European club soccer until some channel started repackaging MOTD — it was the end of the Le Tissier era, basically, and his creativity, and personal story of loyalty and the perpetual struggle against relegation just resonated with me personally. I can’t recall any of the big clubs being remotely, remotely likable back then by comparison, anyhow. About the same time, following soccer on the internet became much more of a thing and i’ve been 100% all in on the Saints since.

I almost never post, though I’m on here daily, along with reading the Echo and of course the Guardian, religiously, as all newspaper people do. In the U.S., working in the newspaper business sort of turns you into an inveterate lurker because you’re never supposed to leave any sort of paper trail about political affiliations or just about anything controversial. So you get used to clamming up, which is why i almost never post anything.

But Saints are my #1 club in any sport, it’s not even close, and hasn’t been for well over a decade. I remember being intensely worried about whether Yoann Folly would ever come good because he’d done all right by me in Champ Man. And screaming at Harry Redknapp for getting his subs wrong when we shipped two late goals to Boro in the middle of the relegation season. I could give you a million examples. Oh, i managed to say hi to Leandre Griffit once at an MLS game, haha.

Too broke raising a family to ever once make it over there for a game, so I’m desperately hoping they do the preseason tour in the US, as rumored. My earlier post was *****ing about the kiddos -- i think Saints are generally pretty well-respected by American fans of the "EPL" -- ha -- but very few people's "first team."

Anyhow, that’s my deal.

primordially, because I grew up with an underdog complex, based on family allegiance to Vanderbilt University, the perpetual runt of college football's vaunted Southeastern Conference.

I was all in on the World Cups, but beyond that, back in the 90s, it was pretty hard to follow European club soccer until some channel started repackaging MOTD — it was the end of the Le Tissier era, basically, and his creativity, and personal story of loyalty and the perpetual struggle against relegation just resonated with me personally. I can’t recall any of the big clubs being remotely, remotely likable back then by comparison, anyhow. About the same time, following soccer on the internet became much more of a thing and i’ve been 100% all in on the Saints since.

I almost never post, though I’m on here daily, along with reading the Echo and of course the Guardian, religiously, as all newspaper people do. In the U.S., working in the newspaper business sort of turns you into an inveterate lurker because you’re never supposed to leave any sort of paper trail about political affiliations or just about anything controversial. So you get used to clamming up, which is why i almost never post anything.

But Saints are my #1 club in any sport, it’s not even close, and hasn’t been for well over a decade. I remember being intensely worried about whether Yoann Folly would ever come good because he’d done all right by me in Champ Man. And screaming at Harry Redknapp for getting his subs wrong when we shipped two late goals to Boro in the middle of the relegation season. I could give you a million examples. Oh, i managed to say hi to Leandre Griffit once at an MLS game, haha.

Too broke raising a family to ever once make it over there for a game, so I’m desperately hoping they do the preseason tour in the US, as rumored. My earlier post was *****ing about the kiddos -- i think Saints are generally pretty well-respected by American fans of the "EPL" -- ha -- but very few people's "first team."

Anyhow, that’s my deal.

Nice story mate, we seem to have a few American fans. I would say welcome but you have been a fan for some time.

Anyhow, that’s my deal.

Nice to read this. Good on you. Hope you make it over one day!

That was an awesome read on how you came to be a Saint. I don't want to speak for everyone but I'm sure us lot could have a whip round to get you flights etc... And I'm absolutely sure we can find a ticket. Would be great if you could come over and see your team live :-)

Yeah i actually work for the New York Times, an editor, but nowhere near the sports department (or New York, for that matter ... they moved about 40 jobs to Gainesville, Florida about 5 years ago, to stop paying Manhattan wages)... I can probably manage to get a press pass, though, if the team heads over here. Expenses-paid is a pipe dream, these days.

We ran a by-and-large decent article about Southampton about 18 months ago, my only contributions were the corrections appended below, haha. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/29/sports/soccer/a-rebuilt-southampton-excels-with-a-10th-place-budget.html

Yeah i actually work for the New York Times, an editor, but nowhere near the sports department (or New York, for that matter ... they moved about 40 jobs to Gainesville, Florida about 5 years ago, to stop paying Manhattan wages)... I can probably manage to get a press pass, though, if the team heads over here. Expenses-paid is a pipe dream, these days.

We ran a by-and-large decent article about Southampton about 18 months ago, my only contributions were the corrections appended below, haha. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/29/sports/soccer/a-rebuilt-southampton-excels-with-a-10th-place-budget.html

You've just done this to any grammar police or anyone with literary pretensions on this forum and I am loving your corrections at the bottom, attention to deail, weclome sir.

giphy.gif

As long as they give ST holders discount on their packages as the costs for Virgin Media are soaring and you don't even get Sky Sports HD or Sky Atlantic.

I have Virgin Media with Sky Sports HD - admittedly at full Sky Sports price on top of my (dirt cheap) Virgin subscription, but through the same box. Can't get Sky Atlantic through them though.

You've just done this to any grammar police or anyone with literary pretensions on this forum and I am loving your corrections at the bottom, attention to detail, welcome sir.

I think you'll find the grammar police and any literary pretensions remain unaffected. :)

Always nice to hear how people found Saints though.

I'd say having to rename the club, 'Total Network Solutions', is arguably the worst embarrassing sponsorship deal in recent times.

Given that they willingly renamed themselves TNS (The New Saints) when Total Network Solutions ceased to exist in order to retain the initials, I'm fairly sure the former Llansantffraid Clwb Pel-droed weren't embarrassed at all. The "Sant" bit of their name means Saint, fairly obviously.

At least that name change brought them success - unlike Cardiff's awesome red relegation kit.

• 2 weeks later...
Southampton FC

‏@SouthamptonFC

#SaintsFC is delighted to announce @virginmedia as its new main club sponsor

Great news. This is one of the most recognised brand sponsors we've ever had. And more importantly we can get some decent ****ing wi-fi at last.