Jeremy Pied Joins - 2 Year Deal (Official)

SO16_Saint

Can I do a generic, sarcastic, ungrateful comment too?

We need to strengthen our squad with the extra games we have. We can't buy amazing attacking players all the time, this is a decent signing to strenthen us as a squad. Puel knows him and knows what he can do.

Not the most exciting signing, but of course not all will.. I had the same feeling when Steven Davis joined and look how that turned out. This player was a free agent, therefore cheap.. Played under Puel last season, therefore has his approval. He is an experienced player and will be a perfect back up due to his versatility in being able to play RM/RW/LB and predominantly RB which will be great for the amount of games we have this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm, my spideysense is tingling... I know the manager knows him, but we've just signed a player in a position where we already have two decent players, and he doesn't seem to be good enough to necessarily improve on them. Enough clips of him crossing in that video to see he is suited to the manager's style, but still, he's not going to be third choice and we don't need three right backs. He can also cover elsewhere but didn't seem to have done so recently.

So who's going?

Edited by The9

Eugh. Is this what the ITKs meant with two more signings before the season starts? A reserve keeper and reserve right back?

Fine signings perhaps but christ our attack is lacking.

They wanted to get these two sorted by the start of next week for solid back-up, as opposed to having weak spots through injury. Attacking options are more expensive and take longer to assess and negotiate, but it's not like the club are unaware of our needs. Keep the faith. :)

They wanted to get these two sorted by the start of next week for solid back-up, as opposed to having weak spots through injury. Attacking options are more expensive and take longer to assess and negotiate, but it's not like the club are unaware of our needs. Keep the faith. :)

Cheers.

Thanks Guan :)

I'd like two more signings and I'd be content with the squad- a CM/CAM and a RW/ST (someone who can play in any of forward three roles in a 433).

Do you have any info on what type of attacking roles we are looking at?

Makes sense - today's signings would probably be considered relatively straight forward, & I agree that at least now we're solid in all areas, barring any injuries in the upcoming fortnight. One, maybe two players who, between them, can cover AMC, the flanks and upfront & we'll be fine. A couple more youngsters in the 17-19 bracket to push for the first team this season with the aim of developing would also be nice!

I'm aware I'm being impatient, just think the squad looks hugely imbalanced, with great defensive options and strong midfield, but just 4 attackers! Long, tadic, Redmond and Austin. Redmond I'd rather wasn't relied on right away. I'm not even counting Rodriguez until he shows he can still run.

That said, with two quality attacking signings our squad will look very, very strong. As it stands I'd have us being very hard to beat and awful to watch, with few goals either end.

And Jay Rodriguez.

I'm aware I'm being impatient, just think the squad looks hugely imbalanced, with great defensive options and strong midfield, but just 4 attackers! Long, tadic, Redmond and Austin. Redmond I'd rather wasn't relied on right away. I'm not even counting Rodriguez until he shows he can still run.

Austin has already proved in the few games he has played that he can't run. So make it 3.

That's the most reassuring thing I've read for weeks.

Good to hear. But what is the weak spot the club felt needed covering asap by this lad?

Another defensive reinforcement, seems decent enough business. These 2 will have been easier deals to secure. A lot of people underwhelmed, but we still have a month to secure a couple of attacking options. If Les can sort that, it will have been another decent summer.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Good to hear. But what is the weak spot the club felt needed covering asap by this lad?

Probably the fact we had to play Yoshida there last season.

I see Pied can also play left back .

Martina end product on tour was abysmal.

Good reporting by the Echo Batman :-)

Do we know how serious Matt Target's injury is? This fellow can play left back so fits in with idea Target is out for a considerable period.

I hadn't picked up that Targett is injured, so this makes sense.

Also, as Cedric is good going forward u wonder whether there are plans to move him into midfield? The second coming of Bale?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Trouble with players that can cover a variety of positions is that they are really spectacular at any of them.

Maybe he is LB cover with a view of pushing Targett further forward once he's recover from injury.

Trouble with players who are spectacular is they rarely come on frees and wouldn't be backup. So if he were spectacular, Cedric would be pushed out. Justified? Happy Cedric?

Backup players are just that. Prefer them to be young with a chance of developing but let's hope our new man has potential still to be discovered. The manager obviously thinks so.

We've got Pied

Jeremy Pied

I just don't think you understand

he's Claude Puel's man

he's better than Obertan

we've got Jeremy Pied

Looking forward to singing that tomorrow night and welcoming him to the club.

Pied was brought in to replace players expected to leave on loan who Puel feels will be more beneficial to get regular first team football,

and come back to us.

Which seems to tie in with Pied only penning a 2 year deal.

One of the objectives of the pre-season tour was (as expected) to establish who that would be.

He was not brought in out of 'doubt' about any first team players, bu more as a very good addition to the first team squad,

the club monitors between 100-200 players (on average 150) every season.

In the last 3 years the club has analysed around 500 players as possible signings and Pied has been on that list for quite some time,although bumped

considerably higher up it, in the build up to bringing in Claude Puel as manager.

Believe me the club has what we need in hand and I would expect 2 more signings,

1 of which is pending a response from the player.

Regarding media speculation around certain players leaving the club, there are not any that the club are even remotely interested in selling

and nothing I have seen suggests otherwise.

Pied was brought in to replace players expected to leave on loan who Puel feels will be more beneficial to get regular first team football,

and come back to us.

One of the objectives of the pre-season tour was (as expected) to establish who that would be.

He was not brought in out of 'doubt' about any first team players, bu more as a very good addition to the first team squad,

In the last 3 years the club has analysed around 500 players as possible signings and Pied has been on that list for quite some time,although bumped

considerably higher up it, in the build up to bringing in Claude Puel as manager.

Believe me the club has what we need in hand and I would expect 2 more signings,

Regarding media speculation around certain players leaving the club, there are not any that the club are even remotely interested in selling

Thanks AR-10. You sound seriously ITK. Who are you?

and come back to us.

So Targett going out on loan?

Sigh, we sell 3 quality first team players. We sign redmond and 3 squad players. 4 players all worse than those leaving. 2 of them will hardly play unless cedric's on his bike or Forster is about to do his knee again. I remain underwhelmed by this transfer window so far. 1 or 2 genuine upgrades for the first team required otherwise we will be weaker this season with more games to play, whilst all around us our rivals for a top 8 finish are strengthening.

Sigh, we sell 3 quality first team players. We sign redmond and 3 squad players. 4 players all worse than those leaving. 2 of them will hardly play unless cedric's on his bike or Forster is about to do his knee again. I remain underwhelmed by this transfer window so far. 1 or 2 genuine upgrades for the first team required otherwise we will be weaker this season with more games to play, whilst all around us our rivals for a top 8 finish are strengthening.

Are you seriously complaining about signing McCarthy and signing a player "all worse than those leaving" who will hardly play unless "Forster is about to do his knee again"? You obviously haven't seen Gazza in action.