Jeremy Pied Joins - 2 Year Deal (Official)

SO16_Saint

I like Martina he seems a good guy and scored a great goal for us along with a few good defensive displays but he was not good enough defensively on a consistent basis, maybe a transfer to a championship team would be ideal for him, of course we want more exciting signings but adding good depth is just as important and will help us when we have injuries and loads of games in a short space of time with EL.

Pied was brought in to replace players expected to leave on loan who Puel feels will be more beneficial to get regular first team football,

and come back to us.

Which seems to tie in with Pied only penning a 2 year deal.

One of the objectives of the pre-season tour was (as expected) to establish who that would be.

He was not brought in out of 'doubt' about any first team players, bu more as a very good addition to the first team squad,

the club monitors between 100-200 players (on average 150) every season.

In the last 3 years the club has analysed around 500 players as possible signings and Pied has been on that list for quite some time,although bumped

considerably higher up it, in the build up to bringing in Claude Puel as manager.

Believe me the club has what we need in hand and I would expect 2 more signings,

1 of which is pending a response from the player.

Regarding media speculation around certain players leaving the club, there are not any that the club are even remotely interested in selling

and nothing I have seen suggests otherwise.

Some great detail in there, AR-10. Thanks.

Wonder who the player we're awaiting a response from is? Going by media reports, it could be Tello.

Sigh, we sell 3 quality first team players. We sign redmond and 3 squad players. 4 players all worse than those leaving. 2 of them will hardly play unless cedric's on his bike or Forster is about to do his knee again. I remain underwhelmed by this transfer window so far. 1 or 2 genuine upgrades for the first team required otherwise we will be weaker this season with more games to play, whilst all around us our rivals for a top 8 finish are strengthening.

Just some advice, it isn't adding anything to the whole debate. We all know what we're still gunning for in terms of transfers as fans, we're looking for some more teeth up front given injury doubts and unproven youth. Although if you've watched any of pre season you'll know Hojberg seems the real deal and both Redmond and Austin have done the job against crap opposition which is the least we could have hoped for.

Sorry man it's just unless people get called up on these constant 'underwhelming transfer window'/'where's the ambition' posts, when the window hasn't even closed and there's rumours of two more signings, the forum will be a pointless agony aunt for pessimistic fans. Needs to be more constructive is all.

I work with a lot of Froggs ; ) Most of them understand English very well but have low confident speaking so totally understand that he made this first intervjue in his native language. Just look at Wenger - after almost 20 years in UK his English is very very bad if you ask me.

Maybe he does, but not that confidently and not confidently enough to do with a camera stuck in his face.

Nearly two pages and 100 posts to get the first positive acknowledgement of Jeremy joining. That leaves 97 posts of "he's meh, who's leaving" etc.

He will pull on the shirt so he gets my backing - welcome Jeremy and well done to the club :)

Not sure how pointing out he was the 20th best player in all of league 1 last season is a negative...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13 July - "Southampton's derisory contract offer for Nice man Jeremy Pied sees move collapse" - so who cracked?!

My guess is that Pied (or his agent) initially thought that by virtue of being in the Premier League we could be negotiated into paying astronomical wages...

13 July - "Southampton's derisory contract offer for Nice man Jeremy Pied sees move collapse" - so who cracked?!

My guess is that Pied (or his agent) initially thought that by virtue of being in the Premier League we could be negotiated into paying astronomical wages...

It was in a newspaper article. Who knows if it was anywhere near accurate in the first place.

Sigh, we sell 3 quality first team players. We sign redmond and 3 squad players. 4 players all worse than those leaving. 2 of them will hardly play unless cedric's on his bike or Forster is about to do his knee again. I remain underwhelmed by this transfer window so far. 1 or 2 genuine upgrades for the first team required otherwise we will be weaker this season with more games to play, whilst all around us our rivals for a top 8 finish are strengthening.

Hojberg is anything but a squad player... I have seen him play and he is a class act. Schooled at Bayern and only prevented from playing more often due to them switching Lahm into the midfield and also having Martinez, Alcantara and Vidal in there too..

The lad will do very, very well for us..

Looks a decent addition as backup RB. Have seen only a few clips but what strikes me most is that he is a bit more aggressive and robust than many of our players. It is something we have lacked a bit, reckon he will pick up a few yellows but sometimes, against some opponents a more aggressive style is needed. Certainly looks a better option than Martina and far better (at RB) than Yoshi.

Feel sorry for the bloke, basically he's being mullered for the fact that he is a "low profile" signing and hasn't cost us tens of millions of pounds.

I'm not really sure what our board has to do to gain the trust of some fans, other than just spend obscene amounts of money. As far as I am concerned, all of the signings so far make perfect sense to me.

Bienvenue M. Pied by the way!;)

Who covers left-back?

Perhaps they think Pied/McQueen can do it. (Not that I necessarily agree with Targett going out on loan, since he would/could get game time here - although, with that being said, it's difficult to argue that a loan wouldn't be beneficial for him).

Gotta love this place. Moaning and *****ing that the squad isn't big enough. Moaning and *****ing that we haven't signed any players recently. Moaning and *****ing when we sign two players in one day. Most here haven't seen Pied kick a football yet he has been written off as not exciting enough. :mcinnes:

Feel sorry for the bloke, basically he's being mullered for the fact that he is a "low profile" signing and hasn't cost us tens of millions of pounds.

I'm not really sure what our board has to do to gain the trust of some fans, other than just spend obscene amounts of money. As far as I am concerned, all of the signings so far make perfect sense to me

This thread is why having fans on the board of a football club is a very silly idea!!

Gotta love this place. Moaning and *****ing that the squad isn't big enough. Moaning and *****ing that we haven't signed any players recently. Moaning and *****ing when we sign two players in one day. Most here haven't seen Pied kick a football yet he has been written off as not exciting enough. :mcinnes:

Er, its not the sort of signing everyone is hoping for is it? A squad player who will confine yet another of our aspiring youngsters to the scrapheap and do nothing to strengthen our squad. If you are happy to settle for mediocrity good luck to you but most fans clearly are not and are entitled to feel frustrated.

Perhaps they think Pied/McQueen can do it. (Not that I necessarily agree with Targett going out on loan, since he would/could get game time here - although, with that being said, it's difficult to argue that a loan wouldn't be beneficial for him).

McQueen has looked questionable at best at LB from what I've seen preseason - it's all well and good telling them they need to get forward, and he's very good at that as it's his much more familiar position - but when you're sprinting out of the back line to press the ball and leaving a 20 yard gap behind you like he did a couple of times against Groningen, that's beginner stuff and needs to be sorted quickly.

The Targett loan is a weird one, he's already a good squad player, and we'd want him to cover Bertrand. I guess not having a 3-5-2 this season hurts his chances of starting a lot, and the club may have decided 30+ matches in the Championship is more useful to us in the longer term.

Er, its not the sort of signing everyone is hoping for is it? A squad player who will confine yet another of our aspiring youngsters to the scrapheap and do nothing to strengthen our squad. If you are happy to settle for mediocrity good luck to you but most fans clearly are not and are entitled to feel frustrated.

**DRAMA**

Decent squad signing. Will push a youngster down the pecking order though.

If you consider that it pushes Yan Valery down the order then perhaps you're right, but he is only 17 and although he has looked good in pre-season he is probably a year or two away from making any sort of breakthrough. Jason McCarthy has been loaned to Walsall for the season. So signing Jeremy Fisher on a 2 year deal really does nothing of the sort, and provides good backup/alternative for Cedric, and no need to rely on Martina or Yoshida any more, neither of whom are good enough at RB. Good signing in my opinion.

This thread is why having fans on the board of a football club is a very silly idea!!

Only if the fans on the board are knee-jerk tosspots who aren't looking at the bigger picture. You'd expect the criteria to be a bit more exclusive than that for a club that actually has a wealthy owner, as opposed to them being the people funding the club.

For my involvement I have no idea how good he is, but the fact we've signed him on just a 2 year deal says we're not really expecting great things - though we can always offer a new deal if he does well, I guess.

I'm about as convinced that Valery will be first choice left back in three years' time as I am Pied, that's not a knock on either of them, just a statement of how little we have to go on about their abilities.

If you've seen anything of Hojbjerg and know anything about football you can see very quickly that even now he's a very good player and in no way a 'downgrade' on the card-magnet and sulk-merchant he replaced.

Fine as a signing as far as I'm concerned, full backs will clearly be working very hard in our system let alone with Europa matches and being 2 footed is useful. Targett may well go out on loan as this guy can play LB and did for Nice at times although don't see Matt being sold. Personally I wouldn't loan Targett out but the club will know best.

Reassuring from the ITKs that striker/winger/number 10s under the microscope, I thought they were and was surprised when people thought our current attacking options would be sufficient over the season.

Looking forward to seeing who we bring in on the attacking side although as Guan mentions, it's a bit of merry go-round for forward players this summer. Just ask West Ham...

If you've seen anything of Hojbjerg and know anything about football you can see very quickly that even now he's a very good player and in no way a 'downgrade' on the card-magnet and sulk-merchant he replaced.

Quite, I'm not so worried about Victor going, Mane was a different story hence my opinion has different from some other posters about the level of transfer activity needed in attacking areas. Now the ITK assure us a couple of players are lined up in those areas, that eases my concerns and looking forward to the season ahead, not least seeing who we get in the Europa draw later this month.

Could turn out to be a decent window for us' date=' with another couple of additions. 6 new contracts sorted, 3 pending and hopefully on the way, 4 new signings already, maybe a couple more to follow and an apparent new ITK in AR-10 to relieve the burden on Guan and K,Billy![/quote']

c800a4e76547f1870685b9bbd12406acb3c0f6d724bdddd39a19e0261da295a7.jpg