Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

It is hard to take them too seriously when Sky say things like...

- Puel left Lille in 2008

- Boufal joined Lille in 2015

7 years difference! :D

Must be hard to take anything seriously when your whole life is a computer game.

VERY impressive ball skills, but for that size of fee...I'll be even more impressed if he scores 20 goals a season.

Well i'll be happy if he can at least have a hand in 20 goals at the moment. Don't care who puts the ball into the net or who played the last touch. Runners giving the defense a fright opens space for others and this was Manes biggest contribution. Defending against us is a very predictable task at the moment and is about concentration more than individual defensive skill to stop a tricky player opening you up and running for it. Boufal ticks that box and makes it all the harder to predict our build up play and movements. A striker with more consistency than Long and great positioning for polishing off chances is then the icing on the cake.

We've got previous for spending loads on crocks who never ever then seem to play - Delgado, Charlie George, Perry Groves, Hirst and Osvaldo, just off the top of my head.

And why shouldn't Alpine be allowed to express an opinion with out all the bullying he then comes in for? It is after all a forum.......

whilst I agree with your comment about " buying crocks" , I don't believe that David Hirst came into that category. He was pretty fit when we bought him and played well.

signed in October 1997, he scored 4 goals in his first 5 games. He didn't miss a game for the rest of the season, and ended up with 9 goals from 28 starts.

the problem you referred to was ..according to memory, whilst training for the next pre-season and running through the forest, he stuck his foot in a rabbit hole and the resulting knee injury was so bad that it more or less finished his career with Saints.

Such fluke injuries go along with dropping a mayo bottle on your foot (Dave Beasant), and falling down a ladder on a boat (James Beattie) fortunately not career ending, but pretty dumb anyway.. and who was it......who injured themself getting out of bed?

The purchase of Charlie George and Delgado (both club record buys at the time) goes against all common sense if you buy someone who's carrying an injury.

Edited by david in sweden

Well i'll be happy if he can at least have a hand in 20 goals at the moment. Don't care who puts the ball into the net or who played the last touch. Runners giving the defense a fright opens space for others and this was Manes biggest contribution. Defending against us is a very predictable task at the moment and is about concentration more than individual defensive skill to stop a tricky player opening you up and running for it. Boufal ticks that box and makes it all the harder to predict our build up play and movements.

A striker with more consistency than Long and great positioning for polishing off chances is then the icing on the cake.

you mean someone like...... Charlie Austin, perhaps?

Well i'll be happy if he can at least have a hand in 20 goals at the moment. Don't care who puts the ball into the net or who played the last touch. Runners giving the defense a fright opens space for others and this was Manes biggest contribution. Defending against us is a very predictable task at the moment and is about concentration more than individual defensive skill to stop a tricky player opening you up and running for it. Boufal ticks that box and makes it all the harder to predict our build up play and movements. A striker with more consistency than Long and great positioning for polishing off chances is then the icing on the cake.

Ive never noticed us having any difficulty withchance creation though, for 20m Id expect us to sign a very able striker, who we have been crying out for over the last two seasons

Id argue with a top level 15-30m pound striker last year we may be playing in the champions league this year

Not that I am saying this is a bad signing, he looks a v good player

Yeah if the club thinks Charlie's got it I'll back that, but neither him or Jrod has had much of an impact in first two games so wouldn't be surprised if another was brought in.

looks like Puel is relying on (Thierry Henry mark 2) in the person of Redmond. Nice thought, but where are the goals coming from in the meantime?

Personally I'd start with Charlie Austin... and bring Shane Long off the bench after the break, and put him up top against tiring defenders.

Much more of the rough treatment that Long (got against Watford), would put him in the treatment room for the season.

I assume he is the Victor replacement people are crying out for....

according to an article I just read online he picked up 2 reds and 11 yellows last season. :scared: not bad for a winger

well he maybe Victor's replacement at least partly. The pics. I've seen of him, he's about half of Victors weight and only half as tall.

But I shouldn't worry. I'm sure that info. was in the Black Box before we started negotiations.:uhoh:....or ?

Edited by david in sweden

My Son told me 4 months ago that Saints would sign Boufal. He also got VVD correct. He's 11 years old. He works out the players on FIFA and then analyses them. Berahino is also on his list.

Is his name Paul?

Good stuff. When's Wanyamas and Pelles replacements coming?

Then who are we buying to strengthen the side for Europe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juanmi / Redmond

Ramieriz / Boufal

Wanyama / Hojberg

Gazzaniga / McCarthy

Martina / Pied

Mane / ?

Pelle / ?

Good stuff. When's Wanyamas and Pelles replacements coming?

Then who are we buying to strengthen the side for Europe?

Email the club and ask them. How should the fans on here know any better than you. Let us know when you've emailed them and what reply you get.

I don't know, seems like a lot of money for this guy. First he's hurt, so we'll see how/when he comes back. Putting that aside, he seems like yet another small, quick, dribble it around lot guy. Right down Puel's alley, he seems to want a team of completely attacking midfielders. Is he really any different than Redmond or Long? To me, he certainly doesn't seem close to Mane. However I guess its all about possession, not about goals.

First he's hurt, so we'll see how/when he comes back.

""My return date is foreseen in September and, at worst, I can eventually miss a maximum of three weeks of competition depending on the league I'm playing in. It's not huge," he added."

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2915055/lilles-sofiane-boufal-says-injury-wont-hinder-summer-transfer-plans

Can see him playing up top with Redmond rather than in the no.10/tip of the diamond role.

This.

So far Redmond looks like either a winger or a striker to play on the shoulder, like Long. No wingers on the diamond, so I would bump him up. His link-up play isn't as good as what a Boufal-Tadic combo would provide.

Tadic as 10 and Boufal-Redmond. Forget about the crossing, this set up is to work the ball inside the box.

You could drop one to the bench and keep Long, too. Especially to counter-attack when teams play with a high-defensive line. That's when Long is more effective. That hasen't happened yet, neither Watford or United do that now. Many options for Puel. Moreso considering the Europa League football is coming.

If Boufal comes I'm officially a believer of Katharina and Les. Jumping on the bandwagon for sure.:)

Can see him playing up top with Redmond rather than in the no.10/tip of the diamond role.

Yeh, great. See those two shortarses playing up front , and watch us whipping in crosses just sailing over their heads.

Still need someone with a presence up front in my view, possibly Charlie Austin, possibly another, but I hope we don't have to pin our hopes on two midgets in attack.

Juanmi / Redmond

Ramieriz / Boufal

Wanyama / Hojberg

Gazzaniga / McCarthy

Martina / Pied

Mane / ?

Pelle / ?

Wasn't Austin really the replacement for Pelle, it's just that Pelle changed his mind and we didn't want to risk missing out on Austin?

Yeh, great. See those two shortarses playing up front , and watch us whipping in crosses just sailing over their heads.

Still need someone with a presence up front in my view, possibly Charlie Austin, possibly another, but I hope we don't have to pin our hopes on two midgets in attack.

now Koeman has moved on I expect us to ease back on the crosses into the box and look to play more through balls.

Juanmi / Redmond

Ramieriz/ Boufal

Wanyama / Hojberg

Gazzaniga / McCarthy

Martina / Pied

Mane / ?

Pelle / ?

I know your taking the ****, but we really need to "replace" players who contributed 162 minutes and 29 minutes respectively, last season? Further, you are equating these two players who contributed nothing last season with Redmond (£12m) and Boufal (£21m)

should read:

Juanmi / who cares

Ramieriz / who cares

Wanyama / Hojberg

Gazzaniga / McCarthy

Martina / Pied

Mane / Boufal

Pelle / Redmond

I know your taking the ****, but we really need to "replace" players who contributed 162 minutes and 29 minutes respectively, last season? Further, you are equating these two players who contributed nothing last season with Redmond (£12m) and Boufal (£21m)

should read:

Juanmi / who cares

Ramieriz / who cares

Wanyama / Hojberg

Gazzaniga / McCarthy

Martina / Pied

Mane / Boufal

Pelle / Redmond

Juanmi / Olomola / Barnes / Seager

Ramirez / Hesketh / Sims / McQueen / Willard

Juanmi / Redmond

Ramieriz / Boufal

Wanyama / Hojberg

Gazzaniga / McCarthy

Martina / Pied

Mane / ?

Pelle / ?

I think Hojberg is a replacement for Ward-Prowse.

Love JWP for his loyalty, but Hojberg is higher quality like for like player. He's a passer, not a defensive rock in the centre. If anything he's a long term replacement for Classie who has failed to live up to his reputation in Holland of being the man who directs games.

So we still are short of a Pelle and Wanyama replacement and we have FAILED to strengthen our squad.... thus far.

(& our managerial team)