Saints beat Sparta 3-0: Post-Match Ecstasy

Hamilton Saint

MotM vs Sparta Prague (Home EL Group Stage 2016/17)  

276 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Sparta Prague (Home EL Group Stage 2016/17)

• Forster
    • Targett
    • Martina
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Højbjerg
    • Tadić
    • Long
    • Austin
    • Redmond
    • Rodriguez
    • Davis

I would have been equally miffed if it was against us, but I can see why it was given. The defender's arm was raised and therefore arguably in an "unnatural position". Looking back at the replay, its also quite telling (perhaps) that the defender's immediate reaction was to look over to the lino with a worried look on his face.

Yes, a harsh decision and it's difficult to see what the defender should have done to avoid it. Perhaps not flying in with an unnecessary last-ditch sliding block?

I would have been equally miffed if it was against us, but I can see why it was given. The defender's arm was raised and therefore arguably in an "unnatural position". Looking back at the replay, its also quite telling (perhaps) that the defender's immediate reaction was to look over to the lino with a worried look on his face (Edit: that's the defender's face, not the lino's!)

It hit the back of his elbow on his right arm which he had tucked hard against his body as possible. Never a penalty but it got us off and running.

What an awful game of football. Sparta were absolute ****e, but you can only beat what is put in front of you. Still we looked shabby at times, Romeu in the first half especially was absolutely awful, Targett was skinned so many times, Long was dreadful and Tadic was a complete and utter waste of space (should have been taken off as soon as the bust up with Austin was sorted because he clearly sulked for the rest of the time he was on). Hojbjerg is a class player, and Chaz at least looked sharp tonight. JWP bimbled about as usual, doing nothing of any note (funniest moment was when he went haring after the Prague player, who must have been cacking himself knowing JWP was coming for him). VVD holds it all together brilliantly. Forster made a brilliant save. I haven't mentioned Yoshida, what was he thinking about with that back pass. Tadic and Charlie arguing over the penalty, don't care who was right and wrong that just should not happen. I won't pass much comment on Martina either, good cross, but defensively he continues to be absolutely woeful. Seriously if people think that was a great performance then God help us, because it wasn't.

Think you were at a different game.

Yeah I heard those chants too, or maybe I didn't and that's made up. It's fine, you didn't hear it and I did, don't get stressed.

The only songs that annoy me are the ones about Pomepy. Why do the Northam have to spend so much time singing about a League Two team during a European game FFS??? There's obessseion, then there's shooting yourself in the foot. They must love us obsessing over them on national TV during one of our biggest games. Liverpool fans wouldn't even bother singing about Everton during European games, let alone Tranmere.

Romeu was sold down river by some of our passes to him. I know there are some players who would have coped with it but to give him the ball when he's surrounded by opposition is just asking for trouble.

Certainly some truth in that and as you say, others can cope with it. Hojbjerg received some very similar passes and dealt with them. Bigger worry is his positional sense in the 1st half - better teams would have played right through us I think.

Anyway, picking holes really - he improved second half and hopefully will continue to do so. Just a nagging concern I have with him that I haven't been able to shake since he went missing for Capoue's goal on the opening day

So we'd have sold out if it wasn't for Southern Railway? Go away you nonce if people are travelling home on Southern railway then they live close enough to be able to drive if the train is bad enough to stop them going.

That's a bit rich. You no nothing about rail travel in 2016. And not everyone has cars.

It was a fairly comfortable win and we really didn't need to get out of second gear. From the outset it was clear that several players who would be considered second string were given the opportunity to state a case for first team selection and they acquitted themselves well. It demonstrates that we do have some good strength in depth, which will be needed this season with the extra fixtures. There were very good options from the bench in the event that we might have needed to chase the game, but the substitutions were made only to spare some players the additional effort and to give others a run-out when the match was well won.

We pressured them from the start and perhaps a combination of European teams not being used to the fast pace of English football, and a nervous visiting team not responding quickly enough to the onslaught meant that they were on the back foot. That early pressure paid dividends very quickly, although we were fortunate for once to be the beneficiaries of a dubious penalty decision rather than the victims. Disappointing at first to see the squabble between Tadic and Austin as to who would take it, but V V-D stepped in as captain to allow Austin the honour. In retrospect, it was good to see the passion from both players and the good humoured response by Tadic when the penalty was dispatched. What was important, was that Austin had received a great confidence boost, as had the team, and it meant that Sparta would have to come at us if they wanted anything from the match.

All the team played pretty well apart from a few niggles. Romeu was guilty of giving the ball away several times in the first half, but improved in the second. Yoshida had a single dodgy moment with a slightly under hit back pass to Forster, but Forster retrieved it well, otherwise Yoshida had a good game as did Targett. Fonte and Bertrand would be preferred, but but there is really not much reason for concern when these two deputise.

Martina had an outstanding game and on the basis of his performance last night, one can see why Koeman would have been happy to have him at Everton. Van Dijk was a rock as usual and is surely as good as any CB in the PL. Højbjerg is another who is starting to attract the attention of many as an outstanding prospect, another great piece of business by Saints to replace those who leave for pastures supposedly greener.

Puel got the tactics spot on last night and the formation was effective with Long and Austin up front. Long seems a bit off colour, but is invaluable for his pace, attitude and difficulty to defend against and players like Austin need somebody like him to feed off the chances they create. The match provided an opportunity for the likes of Austin and Rodriguez to bag the goals that would give them the momentum from the boost to their confidence and both seem to be showing signs that they could potentially go on to feature massively this season. On paper, they and Long could be a very potent force, with Redmond, Tadic and Boufal providing additional goals and assists themselves, we seem to have a very potent attack.

It was good to watch the match highlights on the box last night, the commentators very complimentary towards us and indeed about Puel.

Great game and son enjoyed it immensely, although traffic meant missed first goal. Thought we were good with some good interplay, but when it breaks down it's a bit knife through butter, especially down our left. Similarly better teams would punish us, and especially when Yoshida does his moron back pass (that could have been crucial three minutes before half time). VVD though, is simply immense. My favourite player right now, and great to see him clasp his fists at the end and shout 'yes' as the final whistle went. Shows commitment. What a player. Nice finish from JayRod too, and great team goal, that. Martina was pretty good too, on the whole, though his marking is a bit sporadic. On the whole, a very positive start and hope it gives confidence and momentum for Sunday, which is a must win.

I realise we all have differing opinions, but JWP receives snide comments from some even after a reasonable game. He had a few timely clearances, passed well and was generally tidy in this game. He would have had two assists from his free kicks had Longs first touch hadn't let him down and Charlie Austin had a half yard more pace. All round a sound performance.

The only songs that annoy me are the ones about Pomepy. Why do the Northam have to spend so much time singing about a League Two team during a European game FFS??? There's obessseion, then there's shooting yourself in the foot. They must love us obsessing over them on national TV during one of our biggest games. Liverpool fans wouldn't even bother singing about Everton during European games, let alone Tranmere.

That's because the bin dippers have a weird love in. United sing about Leeds and you don't get bigger than them.

Clearly you weren't at Fratton for the 4-1 game. Anyone that experienced "that" will NEVER tire of the 'who the **** is laughing now" song!

Sorry but I hate those ****s and won't be happy until they no longer exist. I love singing about how ****ed up they are compared to us right now, living hand to mouth in their shabby stadium one safety certificate renewal away from being condemned, begging for money and lobbying the football league not to reduce the amount of games as that's their only sustainable source of income. Let's have it right as well, they absolutely detest us, if they see you on a train with a nipper they'll not hesitate to wade in to you upon being outed as a "scumma", they love numbers heavily weighted on their side.

Football is all about rivalries, ours is as strong/ stronger than anything else in the UK except Rangers/ Celtic. It makes it special and I wouldn't swap that for some utterly pathetic half and half scarf "brothers in arms" display like the scousers seem to enjoy.

Man(ager) of the Match : Claude Puel...for the courage to make changes and even leave his captain on the bench. He silenced those "bed-wetters " who thought he had given up on Europa League and was fielding " the B team ". Not exactly the Diamond formation we'd seen before, or maybe the squad is just getting better at it.

Managed a good game and made the right substitutions at the right time.

Hooray !! .... Post #124 and finally someone's gracious enough to give Puel a bit of credit.

Nice one David and as a reward, I spellchecked 'substitutions' for you ;)

That was a good evening, very comfortable. Sparta were pretty awful, but they were missing a few of their key men to be honest. I don't think we needed to step out of 3rd gear in the game really, and there were periods where we were a tad slack - but all in all, there wasn't much to moan about.

Very impressed with Martina, he provided us more of an outlet down the right than Cedric has so far this season - his crossing was sublime. Martina isn't a 'name' or an exotic player, but he seems a real team guy - knows his job, his limitations and makes us look so much more of a team at the back (although I won't read too much into it, as Sparta didn't offer much)

Long need a goal or two, but he's working his arse off. He seems to be the perfect foil for someone like Austin, Long will run the channels, open the space, and Austin will gobble up chance after chance in the 6 yard box. I liked Jay's little cameo as well, it was a tidy little finish.

The win was needed and it will give us a boost, I know people will say the Europa League will take it out of players etc - but it can also have the opposite effect, players can gain confidence and take this through to the league (Look at Harry Kane, he never looked back).

Winning the first game in the group is important, puts it in our hands. I reckon our toughest game is going to be Ber Sheva, they're an unknown but dangerous quantity.

That was a good evening, very comfortable. Sparta were pretty awful, but they were missing a few of their key men to be honest. I don't think we needed to step out of 3rd gear in the game really, and there were periods where we were a tad slack - but all in all, there wasn't much to moan about.

Very impressed with Martina, he provided us more of an outlet down the right than Cedric has so far this season - his crossing was sublime. Martina isn't a 'name' or an exotic player, but he seems a real team guy - knows his job, his limitations and makes us look so much more of a team at the back (although I won't read too much into it, as Sparta didn't offer much)

Long need a goal or two, but he's working his arse off. He seems to be the perfect foil for someone like Austin, Long will run the channels, open the space, and Austin will gobble up chance after chance in the 6 yard box. I liked Jay's little cameo as well, it was a tidy little finish.

The win was needed and it will give us a boost, I know people will say the Europa League will take it out of players etc - but it can also have the opposite effect, players can gain confidence and take this through to the league (Look at Harry Kane, he never looked back).

Winning the first game in the group is important, puts it in our hands. I reckon our toughest game is going to be Ber Sheva, they're an unknown but dangerous quantity.

As Inter found out!

Decent summary. Martina seems mega-fit, if we're going to play a narrow midfield with the full backs bombing on and dropping back every few minutes then he seems perfect for it. I like him.

Enjoyed the win, Sparta were poor which was a disappointment but overall a good night.

I like the shirts, wonder if they can be bought, surely we should have had the kit designed with EUFA rules in mind, even the numbers were a different size, unless PL and EUFA rules are different.

First game I've really enjoyed watching us this season (funny that...). Looked like the formation is starting to click and we had that confidence back.

Romeu was awesome as was Hodjberg and Virgil (as always). Honourable mention for Yoshida who made some excellent challenges and played his part well (bar one mistimed sliding tackle). I'd be tempted to start him ahead of Jose based on last night.

Austin started well but then faded in the second half. Jay Rod took his goal very well and I'd like to see him get a full game soon.

Unfortunately Targett was once again well below par. Going forwards he's not bad with a few good runs every now and again, but defensively he made numerous errors. Squad player for cover, nothing more.

Ward-Prowse also didn't look great, but then it's difficult to make a memorable impact when your surrounded by players having a game like Romeu and Hodjberg did.

First game I've really enjoyed watching us this season (funny that...). Looked like the formation is starting to click and we had that confidence back.

Romeu was awesome as was Hodjberg and Virgil (as always). Honourable mention for Yoshida who made some excellent challenges and played his part well (bar one mistimed sliding tackle). I'd be tempted to start him ahead of Jose based on last night.

Austin started well but then faded in the second half. Jay Rod took his goal very well and I'd like to see him get a full game soon.

Unfortunately Targett was once again well below par. Going forwards he's not bad with a few good runs every now and again, but defensively he made numerous errors. Squad player for cover, nothing more.

Ward-Prowse also didn't look great, but then it's difficult to make a memorable impact when your surrounded by players having a game like Romeu and Hodjberg did.

I'd never be tempted to start Yoshida over Fonte.

Predicted my starting lineup on the walk to the ground and it was very different to the one that was written on the board at the betting shop in the concourse! I said to my mate that it was an interesting move from Puel as whilst i think it's silly to say he's under pressure, he hasn't done anything of note that'd get the doubters on side, and a comprehensive victory in a tournament that most fans would like to do well in would be a good place to start. So to rest some key players was brave because had we lost last night i can only imagine the reaction on here! So i'm really pleased for him, it paid off handsomely, we were very good even if they were not, and there were some great individual performances from players who may not be particularly highly regarded amongst most, especially Martina and Yoshida. Surely Martina has to start over Cedric!? Very pleased with last night and thanks to Jay Rod for popping up in the 93rd minute to secure the 22/1 'Austin to score first and saints to win 3-0' special that was on offer at the ground, paid for the ticket.

Predicted my starting lineup on the walk to the ground and it was very different to the one that was written on the board at the betting shop in the concourse! I said to my mate that it was an interesting move from Puel as whilst i think it's silly to say he's under pressure, he hasn't done anything of note that'd get the doubters on side, and a comprehensive victory in a tournament that most fans would like to do well in would be a good place to start. So to rest some key players was brave because had we lost last night i can only imagine the reaction on here! So i'm really pleased for him, it paid off handsomely, we were very good even if they were not, and there were some great individual performances from players who may not be particularly highly regarded amongst most, especially Martina and Yoshida. Surely Martina has to start over Cedric!? Very pleased with last night and thanks to Jay Rod for popping up in the 93rd minute to secure the 22/1 'Austin to score first and saints to win 3-0' special that was on offer at the ground, paid for the ticket.
You were done, I had 28-1 from Ladbrokes! 8)

Odd game last night. Looked good for 30 minutes and then sat back. But very comfortable.

Penalty was ridiculously harsh. But the disallowed goal was offside by about 6 inches - really tight. Nice to see Austin get a couple of goals and Jay Rod took his well. Long can't buy one at the moment

That's because the bin dippers have a weird love in. United sing about Leeds and you don't get bigger than them.

Clearly you weren't at Fratton for the 4-1 game. Anyone that experienced "that" will NEVER tire of the 'who the **** is laughing now" song!

Sorry but I hate those ****s and won't be happy until they no longer exist. I love singing about how ****ed up they are compared to us right now, living hand to mouth in their shabby stadium one safety certificate renewal away from being condemned, begging for money and lobbying the football league not to reduce the amount of games as that's their only sustainable source of income. Let's have it right as well, they absolutely detest us, if they see you on a train with a nipper they'll not hesitate to wade in to you upon being outed as a "scumma", they love numbers heavily weighted on their side.

Football is all about rivalries, ours is as strong/ stronger than anything else in the UK except Rangers/ Celtic. It makes it special and I wouldn't swap that for some utterly pathetic half and half scarf "brothers in arms" display like the scousers seem to enjoy.

Not quite as I would put it but [emoji122][emoji106]

If you think Martina was woeful you must have been watching a different player than most on here and me.

Wish people would post on how they play not on pre-conceived opinion.

He made many good defensive tackles, clearances and interceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I post on what I see thank you. If he had been good defensively I would have said so. He played most of the 2nd half in their half, very little in the defensive role at all. This seems to be the norm whenever he is played, we end up effectively with three at the back, not saying this isn't planned but he is very poor defensively and has to be coached all the time by the centre backs. He put a lot of effort in to his attacking game last night, and of course it paid off with the second goal in particular, but we were playing a completely useless team last night and he still didn't look comfortable. Sorry if my opinion is not the same as yours, but I say it as I see it rather than having a pre-conceived notion like many and not swayed by one or two exceptional moments, rather on the complete game.

I post on what I see thank you. If he had been good defensively I would have said so. He played most of the 2nd half in their half, very little in the defensive role at all. This seems to be the norm whenever he is played, we end up effectively with three at the back, not saying this isn't planned but he is very poor defensively and has to be coached all the time by the centre backs. He put a lot of effort in to his attacking game last night, and of course it paid off with the second goal in particular, but we were playing a completely useless team last night and he still didn't look comfortable. Sorry if my opinion is not the same as yours, but I say it as I see it rather than having a pre-conceived notion like many and not swayed by one or two exceptional moments, rather on the complete game.

Of course it is entirely plausible that he was playing that way with managerial licence. I didn't see Claude hopping up and down and telling him to get back. Nor anyone else for that matter.

Preconceived notions? Coming from the poster who claimed that Cedric had only one bad game last season :lol:

Sparta were more of a threat down our left than down our right. Whatever may have been the reason for that, the relative strengths and weaknesses of their players and ours or instructions from our manager to Martina to get forward, Martina was not tested defensively and, unlike Targett, he was able to provide the kind of threat from wide areas that we have been missing this season. Martina's was a motm performance. I'll be disappointed if he and Bertrand don't play on Sunday.

So it is Ok to come on here and moan about your favorite scapegoats after a 3 nil home win, but not Ok for someone who has actaully been to the game to mention that they could not get home due to the incomptence of a management team that should not be left in charge of anything above a Hornby gage.

Back to the game. I thought the forward movement was much better and allowed us to by-pass Tadic at times. I would be disappointed if redmond is chosen as one of the front 2 against Swansea after that.

Martina is a strange player, in that his normal crossing can be woeful, yet he can produce and inch perfect cross with the outside of his boot. Midfield looked good, and the defence were rarley in trouble. Yoshida made some great interceptions, and one horro back-pass. I think we need some Japanese code words to let him know when he is safe to roll one back to the keeper.

No, that would be Cedric.

Of course it is entirely plausible that he was playing that way with managerial licence. I didn't see Claude hopping up and down and telling him to get back. Nor anyone else for that matter.

If anyone was paying attention Hojbjerg was dropping back into the right back slot to allow Cucu push up the pitch, as he does have an excellent delivery on him.

Loving the people who, just because they didn't hear it, refuse to accept that it was sung. I'm not sure where in the ground it was but I sit near the dugout and could hear it clear as day, thought it was northam, it was sung twice, the first time was after we went 2 nil up I think. Then not long after "Who the fck is Ronald Koeman" was sung and I heard that clear as day.

They're only refusing to accept that it was sung because they were at the game and know that it wasn't sung. We're not saying you didn't hear it, we're just saying your hearing failed you terribly and we can recommend a good place for a check up. All friends here.

Really don't get posts like this, it doesn't matter a jot what division the Skates are in, they are still our hated rivals and I will never tire of mocking them. Rivalry is a big part of football ffs.

As for the other chants, I'm in Kingsland North and there were several 'One Markus Liebherr' chants and at one point 'who the f is RK', but no-one was singing One RK at that end of the ground. Maybe it was the Chapel! :lol:

I sit in itchen central and it was sang twice in the northam, after the first time there was a response of who the eff is Ronald koeman.

Take it from the people who were actually sat in the Northam end, no Koeman ass licking songs occurred. However even if they did occur somewhere else it would have just been a nod of appreciation and acknowledging Rons good luck message to Saints hours previous to the game.

I swear some people just want to hear things so that they can put themselves on some elevated platform of better class of fan or something. The one that always winds me up is that normally after a game someone goes on about how classless and thick some of our fans are for booing the team at half time. Of course the irony is that the posters who moan about this have completely missed the fact that 'the booing' is 99% of the time directed at the ref and officials and always follows atrocious decision making that has turned the game.

Sparta were more of a threat down our left than down our right. Whatever may have been the reason for that, the relative strengths and weaknesses of their players and ours or instructions from our manager to Martina to get forward, Martina was not tested defensively and, unlike Targett, he was able to provide the kind of threat from wide areas that we have been missing this season. Martina's was a motm performance. I'll be disappointed if he and Bertrand don't play on Sunday.

Agree with everything you say, apart from the last two sentences. Bertrand will definitely play tomorrow (unless he is injured) and I will be surprised if Cedric doesn't start, after all Martina started on Thursday to rest Cedric. Martina is 3rd choice right back now, if Pied had not suffered his setback it is debatable whether Martina would even still be at the club. His attacking play is quite effective, but defensively (from the games that I have watched him play not from pre-conceived ideas if Shurlock is reading), he is very poor. Sitting where I do, I get to see Martina close up for half a game every match, you also hear the other players talking to him, Fonte and Virgil effectively coaching him. Don't get me wrong he is a great guy and his enthusiasm is terrific, he's just not very good at what is supposed to be the main part of his job. Targett was poor on Thursday as well, but was tested much more because Sparta actually had a threat down the right.

Slowly coming together. Yoshida needs replacing in January though surely.

Long needs a serious confidence boost too. Can't fault energy and commitment but desperately off form.

A lot of positives to mention.

Fonte, Bertrand, Clasie and JRod to replace Yoshida, Targett, JwP and Long

Will nothing please you? As the man said we work as a collective not individual players and the squad will be rotated as we have many games in a short period. We should get beyond thinking of a best eleven and the others as reserves in the poorest sense of that word. Much will depend on stamina and fitness levels when measured on Saturday. We have good players in every position and it doesn't bother me who he picks as long as we win. Right now you cannot make a case for any one player to be consistently better than the other option for that position with maybe two exceptions, for example everyone's bets noir has played no worse that Fonte.

Take it from the people who were actually sat in the Northam end, no Koeman ass licking songs occurred. However even if they did occur somewhere else it would have just been a nod of appreciation and acknowledging Rons good luck message to Saints hours previous to the game.

I swear some people just want to hear things so that they can put themselves on some elevated platform of better class of fan or something. The one that always winds me up is that normally after a game someone goes on about how classless and thick some of our fans are for booing the team at half time. Of course the irony is that the posters who moan about this have completely missed the fact that 'the booing' is 99% of the time directed at the ref and officials and always follows atrocious decision making that has turned the game.

We all heard it in the Itchen and it was bloody embarrassing. Koeman has moved on, clearly some morons in the Northam cannot.

Has anyone seen any post match comments from the Sparta side? Normally I find it interesting to see what the opposition have to say about games against us but I've not found anything from the opposition manager or players online.

Yeh I'd be interested to hear that too !?

People slagging off Koeman wouldn't be at a Europa match anyway would they? Seeing as it was him and his team that got us into the competition itself two seasons in a row.

I agree with you Nordic Saint. Singing about Pompey now actually makes them seem like a big, important club to us.