Saints beat Sparta 3-0: Post-Match Ecstasy

Hamilton Saint

MotM vs Sparta Prague (Home EL Group Stage 2016/17)  

276 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Sparta Prague (Home EL Group Stage 2016/17)

• Forster
    • Targett
    • Martina
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Højbjerg
    • Tadić
    • Long
    • Austin
    • Redmond
    • Rodriguez
    • Davis

What an awful game of football. Sparta were absolute ****e, but you can only beat what is put in front of you. Still we looked shabby at times, Romeu in the first half especially was absolutely awful, Targett was skinned so many times, Long was dreadful and Tadic was a complete and utter waste of space (should have been taken off as soon as the bust up with Austin was sorted because he clearly sulked for the rest of the time he was on). Hojbjerg is a class player, and Chaz at least looked sharp tonight. JWP bimbled about as usual, doing nothing of any note (funniest moment was when he went haring after the Prague player, who must have been cacking himself knowing JWP was coming for him). VVD holds it all together brilliantly. Forster made a brilliant save. I haven't mentioned Yoshida, what was he thinking about with that back pass. Tadic and Charlie arguing over the penalty, don't care who was right and wrong that just should not happen. I won't pass much comment on Martina either, good cross, but defensively he continues to be absolutely woeful. Seriously if people think that was a great performance then God help us, because it wasn't.

Agreed.

With the parts in bold.

Prague were rubbish.

What was it with Sparta? Surely there must be more to them than that. I was expecting them to notch it up a gear at some point and put us under a bit of pressure but they never came close. Still, you can only beat what's in front of you, so job done.

To all the people slating Puel and his team selection before the game ....... anyone care to acknowledge that he may actually have got it right ?

Great, confidence boosting win although Sparta really were dreadful. Forster had one Hollywood save for the cameras, second half, but otherwise had very little to do.

Martina, Rom, Yoshi, JWP, Hoj and VvD all looked very good. Austin needs to work on his offsideyness a bit. Long wasted his chances, again. Good to see J Rod get another.

To all the people slating Puel and his team selection before the game ....... anyone care to acknowledge that he may actually have got it right ?

The same is applicable for the players, but then we only managed a win because they were rubbish. fkme the experts are on fire.

Yoshida had a very good game never realised how quick he is. If he could just cut out the mandatory ****ty back pass he feels compelled to make every game he'd be starting more often. He actually looked better tonight than Fonte has managed to do so far this season.

Agree with this; amazed Yoshida has copped so much criticism - apart from the under-hit back pass he was great all night. Great speed to the ball, many interceptions and a goal saving block in the first half. Great to get the win; Hojbjerg, VVD, Romeu, Austin all very good. Long very willing but his control is awful at the moment. I thought Tadic had a quiet game but the cameos of Davis and J-Rod had an impact. A win v Swansea would lift the whole place.

Watched on TV (of course) in NZ and was quite impressed with some of the first half movement and slick passing. Felt it faltered a bit in the second. Having said that, still a lot of sloppy passes and being caught on the ball. Impressed by VVD (as usual), Austin, Martina, Hojbjerg, Romeu (although he was caught on the ball quite a few times), Yoshida (except for the mandatory back-pass) and what a well-taken goal from JRod. Very pleased for him. Not impressed by Long. Didn't seem to be with it at all. Talking of not being with it. The cameras picked up Boufal in the crowd with his head buried in his phone. The commentator said "despite the stop in play, there's someone who's obviously not interested in the game". Hope that's not an omen! Also, caught an interview with Fonte the other day and he said how proud he would be to lead the team out in the first Europa Group Stage round. Hmm....!

Morale-boosting win anyway and hopefully some pressure of the manager and players.

Good performance.

We looked like scoring with 2 actual strikers playing up top. Who would have thought.

Redmond looks miles better when he is not playing in the '10' position. not fair on him playing up top with 2 strikers on the bench

Austin was good. But that is what he does, he is always going to be in and around the area looking for chances. Still dropping wide a bit.

Rom was pretty commanding in the middle

Martina was good, you can see why Cedric got dropped last season. Lets be honest, his new deal was not based on his saints performances.

Long was busy and great play for Rodriguez at the end

I hope Puel sticks with 2 from Long, Austin, Rodriguez up top on Sunday. He simply has to.

It has to be said, Sparta were terrible. Very bad. And that was never a penalty lol

Anti Koeman songs heard a few times on the telly too

Austin was my MoM with VvD and Martina a fag paper behind him

Bertrand, Fonte and davis in for Yoshida, Targett and JwP on Sunday for me

Edited by Batman

Just a quick post after getting home at 20 past midnight. This is for Griffo - the Southern Railway service is far worse than last year... The train - the last train of the night, which should have got me bak to my station just after 11, was cancelled. This was the last train of the night for my station and it it was effing cancelled. I managed to get to an intermediate station and then a taxi. There were other Saints fans on board who were going even further than me, and they were in deep sh*t. So don't tell us again we should "all be ashamed for not filling the ground" or I'll put you in a room with the MD of Southern Railways and leave you there until ... not sure, killed each other, possibly.

So we'd have sold out if it wasn't for Southern Railway? Go away you nonce if people are travelling home on Southern railway then they live close enough to be able to drive if the train is bad enough to stop them going.

Edited by Griffo

Was too late to post when I got in last night.

- Prague were very poor. One shot on target from memory, good strike on the half-volley and FF reacted well

- Defence looked solid but in fairness, it wasn't tested. Yoshida did well, VvD was his usual and both fullbacks were good defensively and tried to get forward as much as they could.

- Hojbjerg was superb - serious engine on the lad, was chasing everything from the first minute to the last, MotM for me. Tadic dipped in and out but not much end product. JWP's dead ball service was good but didn't offer much else.

- Typical Shlong performance, ran his socks off but missed chances. Austin scored but looked bushed after half an hour.

- Overall, comfortable win against a mediocre side. My biggest gripe is how much we slow the game down when we get near the box and give defence time to reorganise. Need to be more clinical.

- Head the 'only one Markus Liebherr' chant and 'who the f*** is Ronald Koeman', but not a combination of the two!

Best thing about this game is that it should show Puel to select Austin up top. If he'd done that from day 1 we'd be doing a lot better in the prem.

Also good to see him taking the penalty, that's what I want to see from he centre forward.

Surprised at the Sparta performance, didn't really turn up but 3 points will do nicely.

What an awful game of football. Sparta were absolute ****e, but you can only beat what is put in front of you. Still we looked shabby at times, Romeu in the first half especially was absolutely awful, Targett was skinned so many times, Long was dreadful and Tadic was a complete and utter waste of space (should have been taken off as soon as the bust up with Austin was sorted because he clearly sulked for the rest of the time he was on). Hojbjerg is a class player, and Chaz at least looked sharp tonight. JWP bimbled about as usual, doing nothing of any note (funniest moment was when he went haring after the Prague player, who must have been cacking himself knowing JWP was coming for him). VVD holds it all together brilliantly. Forster made a brilliant save. I haven't mentioned Yoshida, what was he thinking about with that back pass. Tadic and Charlie arguing over the penalty, don't care who was right and wrong that just should not happen. I won't pass much comment on Martina either, good cross, but defensively he continues to be absolutely woeful. Seriously if people think that was a great performance then God help us, because it wasn't.

If you think Martina was woeful you must have been watching a different player than most on here and me.

Wish people would post on how they play not on pre-conceived opinion.

He made many good defensive tackles, clearances and interceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man(ager) of the Match : Claude Puel...for the courage to make changes and even leave his captain on the bench. He silenced those "bed-wetters " who thought he had given up on Europa League and was fielding " the B team ". Not exactly the Diamond formation we'd seen before, or maybe the squad is just getting better at it.

Managed a good game and made the right substituitions at the right time.

Forster : A clean sheet. Had very little to do, which was also a credit to the defence in front of him.

Martina: Many people's MoM. A highly creditable display for someone who might have been on the train to Liverpool two weeks ago. Read the game well, frighteningly dangerous on the overlap, and a peach of a cross for Austin's second goal. Played with the confidence of a man who'd never been out of the side. Maybe time for him to establish his claim to RB spot, and be " his own man " instead of being seen as coming in on the Koemans' coat-tails.

Yoshida : Aside from his (now) regular "suicidal back-passing" to an unsuspecting keeper... looked much better at CB than in his usual role as emergency RB.

van Dijk : Grew a bit taller... just by wearing the captain's armband, and looks as though it was he who has been at the club for 7 years. Truly majestic all over the pitch.

Targett: Surely his best game so far. Looks more comfortable in this forward position, but still did well getting back to take care of his opposing winger.

Romeu : Always the man in the right place at the right time...He may not be everyone's ida of "the new Wanyama" but has better ball control and vision than Victor had.

JWP : Actually got a start this time. DAJFU, and although not outstanding last night, has got more " physicality " and fight in his game. Beginning to look the part.

Hojbjerg : Good solid performance. Reads the game well and continues to impress. Still needs to find his " proper role ", but looks a great prospect.

Tadic : His role as " fan's favourite " is tarnished a little by insistance to try and beat the extra man, when it would be better to shoot or pass, but another great game.

Long: Another typical Shane Long game, all effort and fearlessly probing the defence . He really needs a goal to give him more confidence in the box.

Austin : (what can you say?). A real old-fashioned CF display from Charlie. At last we can see why he was bought ...and at such a bargain price.

Older memories of that... Kirby / Clarke / Beattie / Lambert role that we miss so much. Will forgive him for usurping "Tadic spot-kick" role, but needed to prove himself to Claude Puel, and DABGJ of it, too. Very neat header on that inch-perfect cross from Martina, and might have had a hat-trick, if his earlier effort hadn't been ruled out.

SUBS;

Redmond : Looked as a lively as ever, but needs one or two more tricks in his bag, before he becomes too predictable.

Rodriguez : two late sub.apps at SMS totalling 20-odd minutes......and has two goals. What more could you ask?. He should continue to come off the bench for a while longer, as a full 90 mins. may be a bit too demanding... atm. but nevertheless he looked very sharp, and made his half chance look very easy.

Davis; " Mr Reliable." Only on a few minutes, but took up some good positions off the ball, and was better placed in front of goal when someone else blazed over the bar.

An excellent match, best so far. Some people might say that Sparta had "a bad day at the office" , but Saints made it look like a training games at times in the first half.

I agree with all of that. Tadic is not and never will be a number 10. He can't play on the half turn, he takes two touches to get his head up and even look for a pass and by that time we are going backwards again to one of the centre backs. Redmond made so much more impact in 20 minutes than Tadic.

Sparta were ****e and couldn't take advantage of our powderpuff left hand side with Targett and JWP. Thankfully VVD bailed them out on several occasions. This side will be improved hugely by Bertrand and Davis - whoever said only change Fonte for Yoshida must be having a laugh.

Good win but hugely helped by the early penalty, I think without the early goal it would have been a frustrating night of insipid possession football and no chances. I await Sunday with intrigue.

I don’t really get all the people who say (demand) that now THIS is how we should play. Yes we won, and I’m as pleased as you are. But Sparta was pretty weak (and apparently not playing its strongest team either) and we may not have gotten away with the same result against a better team (obviously). Every game requires a different approach. We need to be able to play different formations and with different players. If it hadn’t been for poor judgment by the referee we would have gotten an impressive result against Arsenal. Arsenal is not Sparta is not Swansea.

still too much fannying about with the ball when we get to the final 3rd... time after time we were getting in good positions with players forward and whoever had the ball, instead of threading a pass through or over the top for an available runner, would hold onto it for a couple of seconds, cut inside and pass the ball 5 yards, giving the oppo time to get their players back...

Fonte gives a pre game interview sounding, to be honest, a bit disinterested but says he'll be proud to lead the team in Europe. Sits on the bench. Doesn't play. Watches VvD fulfill a real captain's role.

I'm a big fan of Fonte. We owe him a lot. But has he reached the point of needing to get his head out of his post Euros ars*e?

Edited by musesaint

Nope. It was very clear. Not sure why people don't think it would be sung, we have a load of idiots in our fan base.

Were you in the Northam ?

I was in the Kingsland and all I (thought) I heard was 'one Markus Liebherr' a few times and then a rendition of 'who the feck is Ronal Koeman' !

Can't understand it at all if the chant was 'one Ronald Koeman' and would love to know from somebody in that area if it actually was sung ???

Fonte gives a pre game interview sounding, to be honest, a bit disinterested but says he'll be proud to lead the team in Europe. Sits on the bench. Doesn't play. Watches VvD fulfill a real captain's role.

I'm a big fan of Fonte. We owe him a lot. But has he reached the point of needing to get his head out of his post Euros ars*e?

He owes us more than we owe him.

Were you in the Northam ?

I was in the Kingsland and all I (thought) I heard was 'one Markus Liebherr' a few times and then a rendition of 'who the feck is Ronal Koeman' !

Can't understand it at all if the chant was 'one Ronald Koeman' and would love to know from somebody in that area if it actually was sung ???

I was slap bang in the middle of the Northam and don't recall hearing "One Ronald Koeman"

Martina has to start the next game, he was quality.

Long needs a goal, reminds me of when he first joined. Not a lot seeming to fall his way and when it does, his touch is carp.

Massive lol's at JWP, thought he was going to lamp that dirty b*stard before he realised he's not that hard.

Can we have this ref every week? Thought he and his officials were excellent (penalty aside).

So we'd have sold out if it wasn't for Southern Railway? Go away you nonce if people are travelling home on Southern railway then they live close enough to be able to drive if the train is bad enough to stop them going.

Which word out of 'public', 'transport', 'service' and 'timetable' don't you understand? Perhaps you should get a job in PR at Southern Railways and go round telling people they should drive instead. I've got a car and could drive, but I suspect the old boy on the train I was chatting to didn't, so once again your glib assumptions are a fail.

Loving the people who, just because they didn't hear it, refuse to accept that it was sung. I'm not sure where in the ground it was but I sit near the dugout and could hear it clear as day, thought it was northam, it was sung twice, the first time was after we went 2 nil up I think. Then not long after "Who the fck is Ronald Koeman" was sung and I heard that clear as day.

Thought the officials had a great game . pretty much all the decisions were spot on.VVD is top quality, expect a big bid for him next year. Romeu was impressive. The whole team did good.yoshi could score a hatrick every game and he'd still cop flak, he played far better than Fonte has this season.

I broadly agree but I would have been mighty ****ed off if that penalty had.been given against us.

Overall, a night of real positives. Great to see Austin get a couple of goals and a cracking finish from Jay Rod too, much more difficult than it looked.

As others have said, hats off to Martina for an all action performance.

Only one negative for me. Did anyone else find Romeu first half performance in particular a little concerning? Reading through I think general consensus is he had a good game, and he did make some crunching tackles in the second half when he was much improved, but I thought he was all over the place in the first half, with poor touch and positionally as well. Maybe some big tackles are papering over the cracks with him?

I do like him, he's a good player, not in Vic's class obviously. But I've thought this a few times this season and with the current formation, his discipline, in terms of being in the right place at the right time, is critical to it's success for me. Hopefully he can continue to improve in the role

Loving the people who, just because they didn't hear it, refuse to accept that it was sung. I'm not sure where in the ground it was but I sit near the dugout and could hear it clear as day, thought it was northam, it was sung twice, the first time was after we went 2 nil up I think. Then not long after "Who the fck is Ronald Koeman" was sung and I heard that clear as day.

Loving the people who, despite being no where near the two main areas that make any noise, swear blind that those that are in the middle of those areas are wrong, despite the fact it might just be their own mistake and they're too stubborn to admit it.

Also i said previous all there was was two rounds of "one markus liebherr", and one fairly weak attempt at "who the f*ck is Ronald Koeman".

But you know, why not use it as a brush to tar your own support, despite the fact you are definitely wrong...

So it is Ok to come on here and moan about your favorite scapegoats after a 3 nil home win, but not Ok for someone who has actaully been to the game to mention that they could not get home due to the incomptence of a management team that should not be left in charge of anything above a Hornby gage.

Back to the game. I thought the forward movement was much better and allowed us to by-pass Tadic at times. I would be disappointed if redmond is chosen as one of the front 2 against Swansea after that.

Martina is a strange player, in that his normal crossing can be woeful, yet he can produce and inch perfect cross with the outside of his boot. Midfield looked good, and the defence were rarley in trouble. Yoshida made some great interceptions, and one horro back-pass. I think we need some Japanese code words to let him know when he is safe to roll one back to the keeper.

So it is Ok to come on here and moan about your favorite scapegoats after a 3 nil home win, but not Ok for someone who has actaully been to the game to mention that they could not get home due to the incomptence of a management team that should not be left in charge of anything above a Hornby gage.

Back to the game. I thought the forward movement was much better and allowed us to by-pass Tadic at times. I would be disappointed if redmond is chosen as one of the front 2 against Swansea after that.

Martina is a strange player, in that his normal crossing can be woeful, yet he can produce and inch perfect cross with the outside of his boot. Midfield looked good, and the defence were rarley in trouble. Yoshida made some great interceptions, and one horro back-pass. I think we need some Japanese code words to let him know when he is safe to roll one back to the keeper.

'Kamikaze' when it isn't safe?

Overall, a night of real positives. Great to see Austin get a couple of goals and a cracking finish from Jay Rod too, much more difficult than it looked.

As others have said, hats off to Martina for an all action performance.

Only one negative for me. Did anyone else find Romeu first half performance in particular a little concerning? Reading through I think general consensus is he had a good game, and he did make some crunching tackles in the second half when he was much improved, but I thought he was all over the place in the first half, with poor touch and positionally as well. Maybe some big tackles are papering over the cracks with him?

I do like him, he's a good player, not in Vic's class obviously. But I've thought this a few times this season and with the current formation, his discipline, in terms of being in the right place at the right time, is critical to it's success for me. Hopefully he can continue to improve in the role

Romeu was sold down river by some of our passes to him. I know there are some players who would have coped with it but to give him the ball when he's surrounded by opposition is just asking for trouble.

Loving the people who, despite being no where near the two main areas that make any noise, swear blind that those that are in the middle of those areas are wrong, despite the fact it might just be their own mistake and they're too stubborn to admit it.

Also i said previous all there was was two rounds of "one markus liebherr", and one fairly weak attempt at "who the f*ck is Ronald Koeman".

But you know, why not use it as a brush to tar your own support, despite the fact you are definitely wrong...

Yeah I heard those chants too, or maybe I didn't and that's made up. It's fine, you didn't hear it and I did, don't get stressed.

Southern Railway could not reasonably be described as a local service. We are on the western edge of their coverage. It is also worth mentioning that their fares can be very reasonable and for those on a limited budget or who are no longer able to drive they do provide an opportunity to attend our games. They are in the middle of a long-term industrial dispute at the moment which makes their operations even more flaky.

I broadly agree but I would have been mighty ****ed off if that penalty had.been given against us.

I would have been equally miffed if it was against us, but I can see why it was given. The defender's arm was raised and therefore arguably in an "unnatural position". Looking back at the replay, its also quite telling (perhaps) that the defender's immediate reaction was to look over to the lino with a worried look on his face (Edit: that's the defender's face, not the lino's!)