VVD already on his way ???

alpine_saint

Additional commercial and transfer revenue was just under £30m (£20.8m transfer profit, +£5m extra from Virgin Media, £4m extra from Under Armour) + £4m of allowed increases, plus whatever wages we freed up when Pelle, Mane & Ramirez left (conservatively another £5m per season). So that's a hypothetical £750k per week that could be distributed in new wages. Obviously some of that money will have been spent elsewhere improving other aspects of the club, but I doubt we got anywhere near that kind of weekly wage increase, so it seems unlikely that FFP wage rules held us back on recruitment.

Thanks I must admit I don't get too deep with finance but some ideas possible from you post. 1. Held back due to uncertainty over ownership? 2. Uncertainty over whether Puel would work? 3. Players on our radar not available yet - Berahino better in January than last summer as an example.

The squad looked ok if you thought Long would continue like last season but injuries and form have meant a striker short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This discussion was originally about the board and Les Reed promising a CL place. Don't get me wrong, the last two seasons have been fantastic but this season is not likely to be. At last the club is showing interest in signing another recognised striker in Sturridge so that is at least a start. Incidentally, not likely to start supporting another club as I have been a Saints supporter for over 60 years.

He promised Champions League now? Promised it?

As a fan for the last sixty years I now understand how galling it must be for the once mighty European football mega giant you supported to be slumming it halfway up the poxy Premier League. I mean it's pretty despicable how far we have fallen from our huge continent- dominating days, isn't it? I hate Les Reed I do. Hate him and his promises.

He promised Champions League now? Promised it?

As a fan for the last sixty years I now understand how galling it must be for the once mighty European football mega giant you supported to be slumming it halfway up the poxy Premier League. I mean it's pretty despicable how far we have fallen from our huge continent- dominating days, isn't it? I hate Les Reed I do. Hate him and his promises.

As a Saints fan in NZ(Saint in NZ) and a fan for 60 years,show some respect and stop the sarcasm its the lowest form of wit.

Are Man City a truly big club? They can't even sell out their stadium week in week out. I'd say Barca, Real, Man United, Arsenal, Bayern Munich and unfortunately Liverpool are the truly big clubs, although the bin dippers haven't won the League for about 25 years they've competed for it, won the Champions League and easily sell out their massive stadium every game.

When talking about spending power you can add Chelsea, Man City and PSG to the list, although they wouldn't be where they are without ridiculous billionaire investment.

Man City area big club yes...that just opens another debate of what constitutes a big club by your analogy city aren't a big club because the don't sell out their ground that means that Bournemouth, Pompey and anyone else that sells out their ground is a big club.

To me a big club are a club that has serious financial clout, a club that plays regularly in the champions league, a club that regularly attract the top top players, a club that regularly challenges for the title.

English football is still ruled by the big four Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. Teams like Liverpool, Spurs and and maybe Everton have a great history but as we stand right now are not one of the truly big clubs. Liverpool are the closest at the moment but if a player had a choice to join one of the big four or Liverpool which one do you think he would choose.

Not at all, why would you think I'm implying clubs with smallish stadiums that sell out be considered a "truly big club"? :facepalm: Clubs with huge stadiums that sell out game by game are considered big, then the truly big clubs are the ones that have won many trophies in the last 30-40 years as well therefore bringing in generation upon generation of fans from all over the world which in turn makes them able to sell out their huge stadiums week in week out. Investment helps this, but still Man City IMO are not in the elite of United, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Madrid yet. Then Liverpool have a far far greater world wide fan base than Man City, and so do Chelsea most likely. Man City aren't there yet IMO but 10-20 years down the line they might well be.

By still ruled by the big 4 you mean since Man City got there 6-7 years ago? Because before that the big 4 was United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool!

Indeed Mr Fry and we have read plenty of it from you over the years, whoever you are. My advice to people like you is don't be so sure you know everything and the rest of us know nothing.

Absolutely right Charlie. This is a forum for Saints SUPPORTERS, give praise when it is due and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism when it is not

Indeed Mr Fry and we have read plenty of it from you over the years, whoever you are. My advice to people like you is don't be so sure you know everything and the rest of us know nothing.

The latter part of your advice is certainly true though given some of the horse sh*t spouted on here.

Can't you? Are you really a fan then? Just to spell it out to you... "because it happens all the bloody time and they are getting sick to the back teeth of being ripped off and treated as effing idiots"

As it happens all the time, surely only an idiot would not review whether their expectations are realistic...

Apologies, 1983/4 season.It did happen tho....

Sorry to be pedantic but it really didn't. First of all, by 83/84 season Keegan had left. Second the title was in reality between Liverpool and Man Utd. We came up on the rails to take second, we never battled it out with Liverpool for the title.

As a Saints fan in NZ(Saint in NZ) and a fan for 60 years,show some respect and stop the sarcasm its the lowest form of wit.

Thanks beowulf. Was about to say the same thing. A constructive opinion should always be worth respecting. Resorting to sarcasm usually means that that person has lost the argument/discussion.

Sorry to be pedantic but it really didn't. First of all, by 83/84 season Keegan had left. Second the title was in reality between Liverpool and Man Utd. We came up on the rails to take second, we never battled it out with Liverpool for the title.

Liverpool won the title by just 3 points and Man Utd came 4th.I'd call that quite close on our part.

Keegan left in 82,I was getting confused with the fact that we led the league for over two months and were top for most of the time from the end of January to the beginning of April.

Don't find anymore discrepancies Fred or your have me confined to a straight jac

Thanks beowulf. Was about to say the same thing. A constructive opinion should always be worth respecting. Resorting to sarcasm usually means that that person has lost the argument/discussion.

When did Les Reed promise the Champions League?

Sell VVD and buy Dembele and a CB from Celtic, and 2 years later, sell Dembele and the CB to Liverpool and then buy others from Celtic... ... this has already been our surviving way.

Not sure about their centre backs (Toure is one) but I am onboard with Dembele, still not the finished EPL proven player that the big boys would buy but someone who could interest us.

Not seen enough myself but the feedback is generally positive although Scott Sinclair is having a good season up there as well.... hmmmm

Not sure about their centre backs (Toure is one) but I am onboard with Dembele, still not the finished EPL proven player that the big boys would buy but someone who could interest us.

Not seen enough myself but the feedback is generally positive although Scott Sinclair is having a good season up there as well.... hmmmm

Lets get both Dembele's (little and large).

Today VVD has become a Man U target (allegedly) so we may get to keep Jose after all. Always a silver lining.

If anyone is likely to throw ridiculous amounts at us, it's United.

That's only because of our turn over in playing staff !

Surely "cost of squad assembly" means the current squad? I'll run the figures and get back on this.

I took it from Football Intelligence. It originally comes from Swiss Ramble I believe and both of them are always on the money. What Swiss Ramble doesn't know about football finance isn't worth knowing.

These figures are accurate and rather pi_ss on the chips of the trolls.

If you sell your house for £500,000 and buy a new place for £200,000 chances are you'll have a nice house but your old £500k place was almost definitely better

HTH

If you sell your house for £500,000 and buy a new place for £200,000 chances are you'll have a nice house but your old £500k place was almost definitely better

HTH

If you want to use that analogy, then our business model is like selling your £500k house in a nice area and buying a £200k house in an up-and-coming area. It might be not be as good now, but maybe in a few years that house will also be worth £500k. Keep doing that and eventually you either have lots of money or lots of houses.

If I was to be critical of the club, it wouldn't be for this transfer model, but rather that if you sell a £500k house, you can afford TWO £200k houses and double your chances of having another success story. Feels like we generally took a one-in-one-out approach, and you're then taking more of a risk. Perhaps there weren't any other good options out there, but I'm a little sceptical.

If you want to use that analogy, then our business model is like selling your £500k house in a nice area and buying a £200k house in an up-and-coming area. It might be not be as good now, but maybe in a few years that house will also be worth £500k. Keep doing that and eventually you either have lots of money or lots of houses.

If I was to be critical of the club, it wouldn't be for this transfer model, but rather that if you sell a £500k house, you can afford TWO £200k houses and double your chances of having another success story. Feels like we generally took a one-in-one-out approach, and you're then taking more of a risk. Perhaps there weren't any other good options out there, but I'm a little sceptical.

Yes one way to look at it and like wise I'm skeptical.

Last year we lived in the 6th best house on the street but sold it and moved into the 11/12th best

Yes we could renovate and stick on an extension etc and eventually return to 6th but we'd likely just sell again and return to 12/13

Never get to live in one of the top 5 houses even though we could afford it with a push

Liverpool won the title by just 3 points and Man Utd came 4th.I'd call that quite close on our part.

Keegan left in 82,I was getting confused with the fact that we led the league for over two months and were top for most of the time from the end of January to the beginning of April.

Don't find anymore discrepancies Fred or your have me confined to a straight jac

Lol no need for a straight jacket! Great teams back then...loads of goals in the team...but just as capable of conceding 5 as well!

Without wishing to sound pedantic, your pretty graph has us finishing 5th last season...;)

Yeah, noticed that. Got the graph from statto.com

Probably due to us actually being in 5th place after our last game of the season due to the postponed Man Utd game and their system not retrospectively updating.

Or something like that :)

Zero hits, perhaps you can help?

"May 26, 2016 - we know we can get into the Champions League - over the next five years, we want to build a club that is ready for the Champions League"

There is a video of him saying it on that date. Haven't attached it but you can look it up. Now perhaps CB Fry will go back to sleep.