Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

If he goes to Chelsea I want Ake coming the other way please

He played well in his 8 games as a CB for Bournemouth but they also shipped a lot of goals.

The fact he scored 3 goals in those games got him additional attention I think.

Not saying he is isn't a good player but, like Maguire, he was a flavour of the month for a short period, and its hard to judge his overall ability.

RE VVD would be great if he stayed another season but we have always let players go and he is probably the best of the bunch so why would he stay when he can double his money and play for a team that will likley win things? Next season we will be similar to this I think and after his injury it shows you never know whats round the corner. Why 'waste' another season in mid table and not in Europe when he can play in the big games?

Go to Chelsea, live in London, play in the Champions League in a team that prides itself on its defensive setup. Or go to Liverpool, possibly play in the Europa League or at best have to qualify for the Champions League, live in a ****hole, and play in a team that has no regard for its defence whatsoever. Tough one that.

All true except the bit about Liverpool as a city

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say to Chelsea ok you can have him for £50 Million plus either Ake / Zouma

I would then use the money and buy one of our center back targets Schar / Semendo / Maguire

Use the leftovers to get somebody in to play alongside Romeu a proper bruiser / Wanyama unit type player.

And use the other transfer money we get to put a bid in for Ziyech or Chamberlain

Squad has been upgraded! happy days

I would say to Chelsea ok you can have him for £50 Million plus either Ake / Zouma

I would then use the money and buy one of our center back targets Schar / Semendo / Maguire

Use the leftovers to get somebody in to play alongside Romeu a proper bruiser / Wanyama unit type player.

And use the other transfer money we get to put a bid in for Ziyech or Chamberlain

Squad has been upgraded! happy days

Pretty much agree with this.

Ake or Zouma (probably Ake given Zouma's recent injury and uncertainty if he'll fully recover) with Semendo would be my choice.

He is staying. The club won't sell VVD this summer

They want to hold onto top players and VVD has a 6 year contract

the latest article is his agent putting it out there. He is clearly going to go. he is too good for us and we have let inferior players leave for good money so cant see why that would change here

the latest article is his agent putting it out there. He is clearly going to go. he is too good for us and we have let inferior players leave for good money so cant see why that would change here

Because the club are changing their approach hence the longer contracts etc. That's the message they've put out there, let's wait and see what happens.

That said, if I were VvD and Chelsea came a knocking, they'd I'd be asking for a move.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4367698/Virgil-van-Dijk-keen-Chelsea-switch-summer.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Worst article so far from the DM on a saga that is going to get bigger and more annoying as each week goes by to the summer.

He "prefers a move to London" apparently. This may well be true, but the context of the article is essentially "Sportsmail understands" (has made up) and then an entire piece follows - it's the attitude that he is basically already gone and it's just a matter of where that is so infuriating.

Of course, with the kind of money we're talking about he's more likely than not to go, but these articles are unbelievably irritating. I don't know why I put myself through it and read them (every summer)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4367698/Virgil-van-Dijk-keen-Chelsea-switch-summer.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Worst article so far from the DM on a saga that is going to get bigger and more annoying as each week goes by to the summer.

He "prefers a move to London" apparently. This may well be true, but the context of the article is essentially "Sportsmail understands" (has made up) and then an entire piece follows - it's the attitude that he is basically already gone and it's just a matter of where that is so infuriating.

Of course, with the kind of money we're talking about he's more likely than not to go, but these articles are unbelievably irritating. I don't know why I put myself through it and read them (every summer)

I look back at some of their previous "Exclusives" about Saints players

In July 2012 they implied Luke (after half a season in the 1st team) was going to Chelsea for £4 million.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2167860/Chelsea-set-bid-4m-Southamptons-Luke-Shaw.html

Seven months later (Feb 2013) they said that "Chelsea set to land £10m Southampton teen sensation Shaw"

".....with Chelsea increasingly confident of landing the highly rated 17-year-old."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2284192/Chelsea-set-land-10m-Southampton-teenager-Luke-Shaw-replace-Ashley-Cole.html

Neither of these 2 Daily Mail articles proved anywhere near being correct.

Sometime someone in the Club will say No! Virgil is yet another example of the 'big clubs - read lotsa money outfits -being greedy for our players.Perhaps someone should remind Virgil of what happened to Morgan!Then again,money is the main motivator irrespective of ' badge kissing'

Sometime someone in the Club will say No! Virgil is yet another example of the 'big clubs - read lotsa money outfits -being greedy for our players.Perhaps someone should remind Virgil of what happened to Morgan!Then again,money is the main motivator irrespective of ' badge kissing'

Virgil is almost world class. The best player we have had in a very long time. He will thrive at nearly all of the worlds top clubs.

he will go, we all knew it...just some thought they knew better because he signed a new deal recently

Virgil is almost world class. The best player we have had in a very long time. He will thrive at nearly all of the worlds top clubs.

he will go, we all knew it...just some thought they knew better because he signed a new deal recently

Said this before, the the only way he's staying is if he does a Bale and signs a new contract every year.

maybe vvd feels he won't be same after injury so its time to get out and make most of it (long contract on nice wage)

or another viewpoint: maybe club feel that way too- sell at highest price for potentially a faulty good!

whatever happens i'll back the club and get on with it.

maybe vvd feels he won't be same after injury so its time to get out and make most of it (long contract on nice wage)

or another viewpoint: maybe club feel that way too- sell at highest price for potentially a faulty good!

whatever happens i'll back the club and get on with it.

why on earth will he think that?

we will sell him. We will get good money but probably not as much as people expect.

and so on

I imagine long deals just prevent Clyne/Wanyama problems where we received lower fees for top quality players.

Exactly. Let's be honest, VVD is not far off world class; world class centre backs don't play for Southampton for very long, if at all.

Not looking forward to him going, but considering we've gone from Lovren to Alderweireld to Van Dijk I'm confident they'll get the next CB right.

What did happen with Morgan? He got a huge pay rise, played for a massive club, then went on Mourinho's bizarre ignore list which some brilliant players have been on. Up there with Lukaku, De Bruyne, Mata, Shaw, Schweinsteiger. Now he plays for Everton and no doubt earns much more money than he did here. Hardly a disastrous move.

But VVD is better. He's one of the best CBs in Europe and will want to prove that by winning things. How do you keep someone like that? Even if we offered him 200k a week, so would a far bigger club with the chance of trophies. We can pretend it's just about money, but there's a limit to how far not winning anything will go for a top player.

By telling him he isn't going anywhere and if he doesn't like it then he shouldn't have signed a new contract. As far as I'm concerned key players only leave in the final two years of their contract, no exceptions. Don't like it, don't sign an extension and don't get the higher salary that comes with it.

By telling him he isn't going anywhere and if he doesn't like it then he shouldn't have signed a new contract. As far as I'm concerned key players only leave in the final two years of their contract, no exceptions. Don't like it, don't sign an extension and don't get the higher salary that comes with it.

You're presuming there wasn't an agreement struck when that contract was given to him. I actually think it's very unlikely he signed a 6 year deal without agreeing with the club when and under what circumstances we would let him go to a big club

You're presuming there wasn't an agreement struck when that contract was given to him. I actually think it's very unlikely he signed a 6 year deal without agreeing with the club when and under what circumstances we would let him go to a big club

We shouldn't be making such agreements. Make it clear that we will hold him to his contract and let him make his decision whether to sign or not, it is of little worth to us to give a player a 6 years deal and at the same time tell him he can leave whenever he wants. These off contract gentleman's agreements potentially ignite the attempts at trying to force through transfers, if each party's obligations to each other are exactly those written in the contract then every one knows where they stand and if the player wants to leave all he needs to do is not sign anything and run down his contract.

I would be surprised if we have made such an agreement though, we still had him on a 4 year deal and, having come from Celtic, on relatively low wages. A significant wage increase would probably alone have been enough of an incentive for him to sign. And there is the fact that between Cortese leaving and about a year ago, not a single one of our more valuable players signed an extension. Surely if signing a new contract was free money with no further obligations on the player's part, someone would have signed?

We shouldn't be making such agreements. Make it clear that we will hold him to his contract and let him make his decision whether to sign or not, it is of little worth to us to give a player a 6 years deal and at the same time tell him he can leave whenever he wants. These off contract gentleman's agreements potentially ignite the attempts at trying to force through transfers, if each party's obligations to each other are exactly those written in the contract then every one knows where they stand and if the player wants to leave all he needs to do is not sign anything and run down his contract.

I would be surprised if we have made such an agreement though, we still had him on a 4 year deal and, having come from Celtic, on relatively low wages. A significant wage increase would probably alone have been enough of an incentive for him to sign. And there is the fact that between Cortese leaving and about a year ago, not a single one of our more valuable players signed an extension. Surely if signing a new contract was free money with no further obligations on the player's part, someone would have signed?

You don't know what the circumstances are though for when we will let him go. We might have said if a certain level of fee is agreed with a select few clubs then we'll sell, otherwise he stays. We have no idea though, for all we know he may have already committed to us for another season, and if he does then we will be able to sell him for enormous money next summer as he will still have 4 years left, whereas if he hadn't signed the new deal he'd only have 2 years left and put us in a worse negotiating position when it comes to the fee.

One thing i do know is letting players in their prime run down their contracts is not the way forward

You don't know what the circumstances are though for when we will let him go. We might have said if a certain level of fee is agreed with a select few clubs then we'll sell, otherwise he stays. We have no idea though, for all we know he may have already committed to us for another season, and if he does then we will be able to sell him for enormous money next summer as he will still have 4 years left, whereas if he hadn't signed the new deal he'd only have 2 years left and put us in a worse negotiating position when it comes to the fee.

One thing i do know is letting players in their prime run down their contracts is not the way forward

The two year mark isn't random. It's the final point at which under normal circumstances the selling club will get full or close to full market value in the sale. The buying club aren't going to pay significantly more for a player with four years left than they will for the same player with just two. On the other hand, the decrease in the transfer fee accelerates after the two year point, and further still in the final year until he out of contract and the transfer fee is 0.

Under his original contract Virgil would still have three years left so we would still be under no pressure to sell but also importantly we would be paying him far less in wages than we are now. So if we sell him this summer, regardless for how much it is for, it is very hard to see what was in it for us when offering him a new contract. As far as I can see, when you take into account the fact at his wages are likely much higher now than they were last year and that he was still under contract until 2020, the only incentive we had to offer him a new contract would have been the prospect of keeping for an extra two years beyond whenever we were planning on letting him go under his original contract.

And that's 3 posts. See you in 24 hours.

The two year mark isn't random. It's the final point at which under normal circumstances the selling club will get full or close to full market value in the sale. The buying club aren't going to pay significantly more for a player with four years left than they will for the same player with just two. On the other hand, the decrease in the transfer fee accelerates after the two year point, and further still in the final year until he out of contract and the transfer fee is 0.

Under his original contract Virgil would still have three years left so we would still be under no pressure to sell but also importantly we would be paying him far less in wages than we are now. So if we sell him this summer, regardless for how much it is for, it is very hard to see what was in it for us when offering him a new contract. As far as I can see, when you take into account the fact at his wages are likely much higher now than they were last year and that he was still under contract until 2020, the only incentive we had to offer him a new contract would have been the prospect of keeping for an extra two years beyond whenever we were planning on letting him go under his original contract.

And that's 3 posts. See you in 24 hours.

You've crammed a lot into those three posts but all in vain.

I'd recommend that you get used to the idea that VVD will be sold for big money this summer. It's far more likely than not to happen. I'd say 80/20.

He's too good for us already and if MCFC or CFC come in with £50-60m then we will take it and he will go because it would make him one of the highest paid defenders in the world.

It doesn't mean giving him an extension was wrong last year - clearly it guaranteed to keep him for this season - and his current hefty contract at least means that the likes of Liverpool won't afford him.

Who knows, his injury lay off might just make him think he wants to give us one more season, but in reality it probably reminds him how precarious his profession is and to advance when the chance comes.

We move on to the next centre back, we have had a pretty good record of picking them.

Chelsea have a lot of fringe players good enough to get in to our team/squad. It's just a shame that these swap deals that people like to talk about seldom come to fruition. How about we give them VVD and £20m in order to create something like this...

Begovic

Cedric Zouma Ake Bertrand

Romeu Loftus-cheek

Gabiadini Tadic Redmond

Bastuiyi

Chelsea have a lot of fringe players good enough to get in to our team/squad. It's just a shame that these swap deals that people like to talk about seldom come to fruition. How about we give them VVD and £20m in order to create something like this...

Begovic

Cedric Zouma Ake Bertrand

Romeu Loftus-cheek

Gabiadini Tadic Redmond

Bastuiyi

Also on Chelsea's target list according to Evening Standard.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-want-to-bring-ryan-bertrand-back-to-stamford-bridge-with-southamptons-virgil-van-dijk-a3504006.html

With Cedric linked to Barcelona brace yourself for the possibility that we could be starting next season with a completely new back 4.

What it always comes down to is do you want a better player who is unhappy and not giving it all or a lesser player who wants to be here a work hard every week. The club said no to Morgan and he continued to perform, they said no Victor and he certainly didn't play to his potential in his last season with us. It all depends on the personality of the player if VVD one of those that says OK at being told "no" and continues to give his all great on the other hand he might turn out like Berhino or Fonte in which case its a waste of time keeping a VVD going through the motions and giving 50% on the field. The truth is the only people who can make that call are inside the club.

Another factor people overlook is the reason we are able to sign the likes of Mane, VVD, Boufal etc is because they know we won't stand in the way of progressing their career. We have gained a reputation as an excellent stepping stone club because we provide a good platform, improve players and allow them to progress if they have the ability to play at a level that we cannot provide.

Thenfrustration is having had so many good players over the last 4 seasons we always seem to have one or two significant weak areas in the team or squad that really stop us doing something really special. Whilst one player excels (VVD, Romeu) others are getting up to speed (Redmond, Boufal, Hojbjerg etc). Imagine if we had been able to have one season where a team could have grown together. Even last season for how well we did in the end, we had a centre midfield, striker, RB and backup GK situation for a decent chunk of the season.

I am actually ITK on this one and there is definite legs on him going to Chelsea with Ake coming the other way.

This could be great!

Stephens: 6'1". Decent on the deck, poor in the air.

Yoshida: 6' 2". Good on the deck, not great in the air.

Ake: 5'11. Think I'm noticing a pattern here...

Oh yeah, as a bonus if he stays: Caceres: 6' Not seen him play yet but can't see him really competing in the air against a 6'3"+ striker such as Benteke, Zlatan, Lukaku or Carroll.

I can imagine playing against anyone with a decent target man will be great next season with these as our probable CB options.

This could be great!

Stephens: 6'1". Decent on the deck, poor in the air.

Yoshida: 6' 2". Good on the deck, not great in the air.

Ake: 5'11. Think I'm noticing a pattern here...

Oh yeah, as a bonus if he stays: Caceres: 6' Not seen him play yet but can't see him really competing in the air against a 6'3"+ striker such as Benteke, Zlatan, Lukaku or Carroll.

I can imagine playing against anyone with a decent target man will be great next season with these as our probable CB options.

Yoshida is underrated in the air - he wins more headers than he loses.

Very good player and still only 20. Would be a great signing if we can pull if off. I reckon Chelsea will want to keep him though.

Might depend how desperate they are for VVD, especially if Man City are also in the race.

I am actually ITK on this one and there is definite legs on him going to Chelsea with Ake coming the other way.

"Southampton FC - Brasil

1 hr ·

OFICIAL: Chelsea chegou a um acordo com o Southampton por Virgil van Dijk!

Os Blues pagarão £40M em Julho para o Saints e emprestarão Nathan Aké por uma temporada. Virgil, que não joga mais essa temporada, realizou sua ultima partida em janeiro, na vitória por 3-0 diante do Leicester.

O que não podia piorar, ficou pior.

Official: Chelsea came to an agreement with the Southampton for Virgil Van Dijk!

The Blues will pay £ 40 m in July for the saints and lend Nathan Aké for a season. Virgil, that doesn't play anymore this season, has done his last departure in January, in the 3-0 win in front of the Leicester.

What couldn't get any worse, it got worse."

I copied that from the Saints Brazil fan site. I don't know where they go their info from. But £40M sounds about £20M less than we could get if we waiited for a bidding war in the summer. So, let's hope it's not true.