Bmouth 1 Saints 3 - Match Thread

St Chalet

Very mixed first half.

Yoshi - outstanding: more than proving Puel right playing him over Bertie Big ****** Fonte

Clasie - outstanding

Boufal - going to be some player

Bertrand - excellent

However, PEH has been a disaster and our attacking play is so slow. Everyone blames Redmond but if you look at the game, there are no options. Most times there are 0 midfielders in the picture when we attack and this means Redmond has to hold play up to wait for options. Our attacking is not good and JRod has had 0 service bar one cross.

We've really got to sort out our attacking play - it is far too slow and ponderous and Boufal has 3 players on hm every time he has the ball because of lack of options.

Hopefully we will come out strong 2nd half.

Bertrand not just for his goal is standing out as the player really up for this sort of derby atmosphere.

Reed also getting stuck in which is nice.

Hojberg so much terrible play yet towards the end of the half he showed the one thing neither of the other 2 mids will do which is run with the ball.

Feel if Rodriguez was sharper or redmond playing with more confidence we might have got a 2nd with redmond's cross and his duffed shot.

Bournemouth still feel dangerous though. We can't afford to give wilshere time and space to dictate like he did for their goal.

Boufal undermines his skill with silly simulation - I sense a potential red card here

Same. I always worry when a player gets a yellow for a non-foul offence...

We were pretty poor in first 15 minutes but have gradually grown into it. Defence looks solid but wouldn't be surprised to see Bournemouth create a few more chances as the game goes on as they play pretty expansive football.

Redmond has looked a lot better today, though a couple of times on the right I wanted him to push it past the defender and whip a cross in. Should have done much better with that chance from Bertrand's cross, mind.

Hojbjerg was horrific for the first 30 minutes. Fortunately he has improved a bit since then.

Not sure what the causality is regarding our lack of potency and J-Rod up front. Does he look bad because we don't have anyone supporting him through the middle (none of the 3 CMs get forward at all), or because he lacks any sort of presence, do we struggle to build attacks?

Yoshida has been great - nothing like the liability we all thought he was in the previous seasons. Who would have thought playing him in his main position would be a good idea!

If you take reputation out of the equation, Yoshida has been at least the equal of Fonte this season.

As would Pelle. Both could drop into midfield, holdup the ball and pass it on to runners. The difference here, is that there would be no runners.

i think just holding the ball up and bully defenders and be a threat aerially

none of our forwards are that and due to the slow build up/defensive nature Puel insists on, we more often than not only have 1 player in the box for a cross

Neither am I, he looks lost to me sadly. He is isolated to be fair but he just doesn't look up to it.

Solent reckon he is looking the sharpest they've seen him this season....

....admittedly that might no mean much given his form this season.

But if we don't play Jrod we play Long who is as blunt as a plastic knife himself.

Poor game again from Redmond...just pretty useless as a striker and not much better tracking back. Hojberg has made several mistakes starting with the marking for their goal. As I've said before, if you buy Championship level players (JRod and Redmond) you get that quality. Just not good enough in the final third. Our play is sooo predictable...need to start running at defences rather than the slow build-up we seem to employ in nearly every attack.

Redmond needs to use Cedric if he bombs forward - two or three times they've had a break when he's lost or or lost it the pass afterwards and there's a huge gap at rightback - not Cedrics fault.

Redmond will get more space if he passes it a bit more and is a little less selfish.

Poor game again from Redmond...just pretty useless as a striker and not much better tracking back. Hojberg has made several mistakes starting with the marking for their goal. As I've said before, if you buy Championship level players (JRod and Redmond) you get that quality. Just not good enough in the final third. Our play is sooo predictable...need to start running at defences rather than the slow build-up we seem to employ in nearly every attack.

Load of rubbish, other than that one miss Redmond has looked very good.

Is Redmond playing as striker surely more of a wide player in a three? Jrod is the striker surely.

Not seeing what everyone else is with Jrod.

Me neither. Doesen't seem fit and doesen't get in good scoring positions. He needs to anticipate and attack the ball on the crosses. Charlie and Long do that far better. Maybe Jay Rod is more of a winger? Not sure.

This has been by far the worst I've seen from Hojbjerg. He hasen't adjusted to the constant high pressing of the Premier. Too many times he took too many touches. I would like to see Steven Davis, he is more positive with the ball and can get into open space and hurt a bit more.

Still, Pierre is class. It takes time to adjust. Look at Clasie, it took him a full year to be an effective player. I had already given up on him. Glad I was wrong.

Redmond needs to use Cedric if he bombs forward - two or three times they've had a break when he's lost or or lost it the pass afterwards and there's a huge gap at rightback - not Cedrics fault.

Redmond will get more space if he passes it a bit more and is a little less selfish.

Cedric often looks frustrated at the lack of options when he pushes up, so he has to go back.

Redmond et al need to offer more support in attack.