Watford v Saints Build-up

SuperSAINT

I can’t work out why so many would pick Gabby. Looks like he wants to be anywhere other than at Saints and a shadow of the player he was. Long played well at Fulham, scored against Palace, and has pace to exploit space behind deferenders away from home

He's a proven goalscorer, but is hardly getting any match time bar 5-10 minutes at the end of games when we're chasing desperately and playing panic football. There's no time for him to settle and other players to get on his wavelength. If you watch his movement, he makes a lot a good runs that never get picked out. If he gets the service, he knows where the net is.

He's a proven goalscorer, but is hardly getting any match time bar 5-10 minutes at the end of games when we're chasing desperately and playing panic football. There's no time for him to settle and other players to get on his wavelength. If you watch his movement, he makes a lot a good runs that never get picked out. If he gets the service, he knows where the net is.
Where has he proven himself to be a proven goalscorer?

For pretty much his entire career he makes Shane Long look like Dixie Dean.

Watch last season's game. Could have gone either way, but attacking wise we saw Gabbiadini, Redmond, Tadic and JWP all playing really well. Let's not pretend there isn't talent in the squad. The vast majority have proved they can do it, yet the vast majority are hugely underperforming.

I'll never learn, but I'm just assuming he'll be sacked when we lose tomorrow and we can really get behind the next guy, hoping he'll actually be capable of building a team.

We were good that day, 4-3 massively flattered them.

Somehow he has to find a way to play long and Gabbiadini together. Longs movement pulls defenders all over the place hence exploiting space for Gabbiadini to run into. Having a player capable of threading balls through though is another matter

What a stupid thing to say. Wouldnt you prefer if we win the next 4 games and he turns out to be a successful manager for us?

Possible team tomorrow :

McCarthy

Stephens, Yoshida, Hoedt, Bertrand,

Davis, Romeu,

Hoijberg, Bouffal, Ward-Prowse,

Long.

Injury problems and a bad season so far, but who knows, lets get behind them. Watford on bad form too

What a stupid thing to say. Wouldnt you prefer if we win the next 4 games and he turns out to be a successful manager for us?

Possible team tomorrow :

McCarthy

Davis, Romeu,

Long.

Injury problems and a bad season so far, but who knows, lets get behind them. Watford on bad form too

That defence is tragic isn't it. For all Yoshida's improvements he should not be a first choice CB. Perfect third choice and consummate professional but still...

Hopefully Cedric will be back and we can move Stephens into CB. He's hardly the finished article himself but at least there's potential for improvement at his age, and he's had some very good games.

Edited by Greedyfly

Possible team tomorrow :h

McCarthy

Davis, Romeu,

Long.

What a unrealistic thing to say

Blimey this game is massive.

Win it then we might just attract a few half decent players in.

Lose it and the club will hit rock bottom.

Knowing our board, Pellegrino will probably get an improved contract and we buy some players for the championship next year.

Possible team tomorrow :

McCarthy

Davis, Romeu,

Long.

Sorry Les,

I see no reason to help you get your arse out of gaol: do it yourself.

That defence is tragic isn't it. For all Yoshida's improvements he should not be a first choice CB. Perfect third choice and consummate professional but still...

Hopefully Cedric will be back and we can move Stephens into CB. He's hardly the finished article himself but at least there's potential for improvement at his age, and he's had some very good games.

Yes, it’s worrying. With Stephens there is at least the slight hope that he will get better. With Yoshida this is as good as he will get.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Possible team tomorrow :

McCarthy

Davis, Romeu,

Long.

Deluded. Fancy us to get away with a narrow loss in this one 1-0 - optimistic...

Where has he proven himself to be a proven goalscorer?

For pretty much his entire career he makes Shane Long look like Dixie Dean.

Pretty much how my nearly ex player mate put when I said "dunno what's happeened to Gabbi" - quick as a flash "that's why he is at Southampton" - "Eh?" - "been floating in and out of goalscoring seams all his life": "one minute Aguero - next 3 months Zero".

I would imagine, despite Watford not being in the greatest of form, the fact their manager instills confidence in his team and encourages them to express themselves and take risks will mean they will overcome a team scared to death of the football at the moment and one which will not attack with any confidence.

However, it'll be the final nail in the coffin for our Manager, albetit far too late as we head for relegation. Looking at the remaining fixture list is absolutely terrifying.

Dreamt we were 2-0 down at half time, their second was a penalty and JWP got one back for us. I think I woke up before seeing the end result but it wasn't looking good.

I also dreamt earlier in the week that we got relegated ��

Real name not Joseph, is it?

Somehow he has to find a way to play long and Gabbiadini together. Longs movement pulls defenders all over the place hence exploiting space for Gabbiadini to run into. Having a player capable of threading balls through though is another matter

Indeed. I've not worked out why he doesn't do this. Scared of 'risking' both our remaining fit strikers at the same time?

Tadic is capable of threading passes - depends on his mood, though.

Dreamt we were 2-0 down at half time, their second was a penalty and JWP got one back for us. I think I woke up before seeing the end result but it wasn't looking good.

I also dreamt earlier in the week that we got relegated

The Times today (paywall) has an analysis of the probabilities of final positions. They have us at a 31% possibility of relegation.

‘Yet perhaps the most shocking figure in the halfway spreadsheet is that the other team expected to go down is Southampton, managed by Mauricio Pellegrino, left. Now “expected” refers to averages and probabilities, rather than being used in the colloquial sense. So, there is only a 31 per cent chance of the south coast club being relegated, but as I’ve noted concerning Arsenal, 31 per cent is pretty substantial.’

Huddersfield Town rank 32nd in our all- team ranking, which is halfway down the Championship. So it’s quite an achievement that their relegation chance is also 31 per cent.

https://extras.thetimes.co.uk/web/interactives/bca314ed6a27eb1a7ce8434de54e3453.html

Think they'll be too physically strong for us. They are quite a big team.

We rarely move the ball quick enough to be incisive, and we don't have the mentality for a fight. If you were Watford you'd be looking at this as a home banker - and an end to their poor run.

If it goes poorly today then it's going to be near on impossible to recover I fear.

I can see a 0-3 loss.