Wigan Away Match Thread

Goalie66

Would be good news if Powell is out as he’s impressed me the few times I’ve seen them. Massive win for Wigan last night in stoppage time, they really should get promoted even win the title with their games in hand on Blackburn, they should enjoy that and don’t be greedy wanting a cup semi final instead, do the honourable thing and step aside to allow us a small moment of enjoyment in a desperate season.

Thanks for the reminders of the trouble last time by the canal, I’ll be prepared this time might wear a buoyancy aid .

Just read on one of their forums that apparently, since sacking Pellegrino and appointing Hughes we've sold another 1,000 tickets and now we all think we'll have "no bother" beating them. There was only a few hundred left before we sacked Pellegrino and I don't think there's too many that think Sunday will be "no problem", we've no doubt improved our chances but we need to see how this bunch of players react and try to remember where the back of the net is.

He's not my first choice but now gets my 100% backing, altogether now "We're on the March with Hughesy's Army..."

I don't think anyone thinks this will be a walkover, and most people i know are nervous as hell about this one (it's only on here i've seen weirdos wanting us to lose it), personally i think it'll be a draw and penalties, though i'm not sure if my heart can take that!

I don't think anyone thinks this will be a walkover, and most people i know are nervous as hell about this one (it's only on here i've seen weirdos wanting us to lose it), personally i think it'll be a draw and penalties, though i'm not sure if my heart can take that!

i booked my train tickets to allow time for extra time and penalties :) if we win within the 90 though, more time at the pub i guess.

As long as we don't let Tadic take one, we should be alright.

are there no replays?

Has to be settled on the day, so it's extra time and penalties. I don't know why i just have a feeling this will end up being a draw and pens, fortunately i booked my trains back later so i could go on the p*ss in Manchester as it's a great city to drink in.

A night out on the town with Brighton fans then, they've sold 4,500 of a 5,500 allocation, so taking similar numbers to us.

Wigan have a big game tonight, a Lancs/Yorks derby away at Bradford, they're still going for 'The Double' (promotion/Cup) and after their 3 PL scalps so far will probably see this as their easiest FA Cup game so far.

*Trying not to think of Tranmere and Sheff Utd away cup games*

The rabble down the road are at Oldham, so they will also be in Manc :lol:

It'll be interesting to see how Paul Cook approaches the game. I can't see them parking the bus for 90 minutes like they did against Man City, and we're probably the weakest opponent they've faced thus far, apart from Bournemouth who named a weakened team.

West Ham also played a weakened side.

227 tickets left and I can't imagine we'll sell too many more now, perhaps a few more with the announcement of a new manager. 4400 to Wigan with a lunchtime kick off on a Sunday is impressive.

Only about 100 left now and it's still Thursday. It will certainly be sold out by Sunday. Unfortunately, with plastic sheets covering the front 6 rows, you won't see us on TV. There will probably be just one glimpse when they zoom into about a dozen of our fans just before kick-off.

Meant to be on the 06.55 out of Soton on Sunday morning, looking at the forecast think we'd better have the car on standby. Poxy snow in mid March.

I was going to get that one but decided to get train up day before, just seen the weather weirdly snow forecast just around south coast Saturday night / Sunday morning, as long as it’s not too heavy should be fine , could be interesting for everyone getting the coach trying to get down to St Mary’s in the early hours.

201 tickets left so doesn’t look like we’ll sell out completely.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to park?
I booked a space 5 mins walk from the stadium using justpark.com

With so many fans traveling up, I didn't want to chance my luck getting a spot in the stadium car park and it should also be quicker getting out of town by avoiding the inevitable congestion after the game.

I booked a space 5 mins walk from the stadium using justpark.com

With so many fans traveling up, I didn't want to chance my luck getting a spot in the stadium car park and it should also be quicker getting out of town by avoiding the inevitable congestion after the game.

Thanks. I have just booked as well using them. My h better to have somewhere to go to rather than drive round looking for places to park.

Really looking forwards to this one now.

Wigan come with a fear factor having beaten so many other Premier League teams.

Our confidence is low. But on paper we should beat them.

Just hope whatever happens we give a good account of ourselves (for once!)

Full notes from Hughes' pre-game press conference:

- No proper discussions about his future beyond the end of the season

- Obviously if things go well for both parties then there will likely be a conversation about that

- Good group here, talented players

- Lack of direction, the players need more direction and drive

- Some people commented on the intensity of training

- He was surprised that the intensity of his work has surprised the players, but it's how it's going to be now

- We need to be more intense in matches too

- His only focus is on making sure we stay in the Premier League

- He is going to take the FA Cup match seriously

- We just need to bring out the best elements of our players

- We need to make our attacking play more effective

- We need better movement and creativity in the final third

- The team need to understand where to put the ball, where to attack, how many more people need to attack

- That is my focus for this weekend, I want to see us creating chances to win the game

- In the league, draws and losses are not good enough

- We must win the league games, not focus on trying to take a point

- There's an argument for saying that players now have a fresh start

- Any grievances people had with the past manager should now be forgotten

- Let's start afresh and see if people take their opportunities

- As an opposition manager I know a lot about the place I've come to

- The key for us now is that if you perform well, you will be keeping the shirt

- The standard needs to be higher if you want to keep the shirt though, it's not been good enough

- The fans are going to be massive for us now

- Over 4,000 at Wigan is massive support, we need to show the fans and give them something to grasp onto for the rest of the season

- We want to change how they feel

- I've been speaking to Charlie Austin, he's not going to be involved this weekend

- We think we can get him involved for short periods next week

- He could get some game time if things go well

- He is encouraged and we will look at speeding up his progress

- But I do not want to put too much pressure on Charlie, but if we can get him ready for West Ham that's great

- There is no right or wrong way now

- The only way for us is to win these football matches

- I can only judge the guys on what I see in training

- I am pleased with them

- You always feel apprehensive in scenarios like these when you come in

- But I haven't seen fragmented groups, lack of confidence or lack of belief in ability

- Now we can focus on work

- I don't have the luxury of a bit more time to build relationships and slowly grow things

- We're in a situation where I have to and will step on people's toes

- We don't have time to waste

- If I upset people along the way, then they will have to accept it

- All I care about is that when we look back on this period, we view it as a success and the club is safe

- I do like the energy here, everybody is pushing in the right direction, but it must continue until the season ends

- The cup can be a real positive influence and give us confidence and momentum

- I do not see a game against Wigan as a hindrance, this is a positive for us

Full notes from Hughes' pre-game press conference:

- No proper discussions about his future beyond the end of the season

- Obviously if things go well for both parties then there will likely be a conversation about that

- Good group here, talented players

- Lack of direction, the players need more direction and drive

- Some people commented on the intensity of training

- He was surprised that the intensity of his work has surprised the players, but it's how it's going to be now

- We need to be more intense in matches too

- His only focus is on making sure we stay in the Premier League

- He is going to take the FA Cup match seriously

- We just need to bring out the best elements of our players

- We need to make our attacking play more effective

- We need better movement and creativity in the final third

- The team need to understand where to put the ball, where to attack, how many more people need to attack

- That is my focus for this weekend, I want to see us creating chances to win the game

- In the league, draws and losses are not good enough

- We must win the league games, not focus on trying to take a point

- There's an argument for saying that players now have a fresh start

- Any grievances people had with the past manager should now be forgotten

- Let's start afresh and see if people take their opportunities

- As an opposition manager I know a lot about the place I've come to

- The key for us now is that if you perform well, you will be keeping the shirt

- The standard needs to be higher if you want to keep the shirt though, it's not been good enough

- The fans are going to be massive for us now

- Over 4,000 at Wigan is massive support, we need to show the fans and give them something to grasp onto for the rest of the season

- We want to change how they feel

- I've been speaking to Charlie Austin, he's not going to be involved this weekend

- We think we can get him involved for short periods next week

- He could get some game time if things go well

- He is encouraged and we will look at speeding up his progress

- But I do not want to put too much pressure on Charlie, but if we can get him ready for West Ham that's great

- There is no right or wrong way now

- The only way for us is to win these football matches

- I can only judge the guys on what I see in training

- I am pleased with them

- You always feel apprehensive in scenarios like these when you come in

- But I haven't seen fragmented groups, lack of confidence or lack of belief in ability

- Now we can focus on work

- I don't have the luxury of a bit more time to build relationships and slowly grow things

- We're in a situation where I have to and will step on people's toes

- We don't have time to waste

- If I upset people along the way, then they will have to accept it

- All I care about is that when we look back on this period, we view it as a success and the club is safe

- I do like the energy here, everybody is pushing in the right direction, but it must continue until the season ends

- The cup can be a real positive influence and give us confidence and momentum

- I do not see a game against Wigan as a hindrance, this is a positive for us

Wow. A breath of fresh air. I've highlighted a few of the comments that really stood out for me. The thing about the players being surpried about the level of intensity is a damning indictment of Pellegrino IMO. What the hell were they actually doing in training and why didn't Les or anybody else above him pick up on this failure!? Truly shocking.

Wow. A breath of fresh air. I've highlighted a few of the comments that really stood out for me. The thing about the players being surpried about the level of intensity is a damning indictment of Pellegrino IMO. What the hell were they actually doing in training and why didn't Les or anybody else above him pick up on this failure!? Truly shocking.

Has been obvious too how unfit the players are too....

So frustrating that he was not brought in at least 5 games ago

So frustrating that he was not brought in at least 5 games ago

We've just got to hope that we can do enough now in the games we've got left. Effectively Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City are free hits, so that leaves us needing three wins from West Ham, Bournemouth, Swansea, Leicester and Everton.

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2018/march/early-team-news-wigan-athletic-v-southampton/

Devante Cole, James Vaughan and Donervon Daniels will all miss out on Latics' Emirates FA Cup quarter final with Southampton at the DW Stadium on Sunday, with the trio cup-tied due to their involvement earlier in the competition for Fleetwood Town, Sunderland and Rochdale respectively.

Nick Powell picked up an injury during Latics' 1-0 victory over Bradford City on Wednesday and will miss Sunday's game, as confirmed by Paul Cook in his pre-match press conference on Friday morning.

Cook also confirmed that his leading FA Cup goal scorer Will Grigg will return to the starting XI having appeared from the bench at Bradford on Wednesday

[video=youtube;V-BFCFq_Xh4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-BFCFq_Xh4&feature=youtu.be

Edited by trousers