Swansea v Saints - Pre Match Thread.

simo

Unless we get really tonked by Man City, in which case it's possible a win against Swansea might not be enough.

We beat Swansea by more than one goal means it’s 8 clear for us.

If City beat us by 6 then Swansea need to beat Stoke by 3 clear goals to overtake us.

Nah I dont think so.

Trying to work this out.

It did not matter whether we won at Everton tonight (Forget Huddersfield in this)

The point means that if we win at Swansea then we are safe, full stop!!

If we had got all 3 points tonight and a draw vs Swansea means they can overtake us if they beat Stoke.

Our point tonight has put us in pole position right?

What if we beat Everton and Swansea!!! Then we would have been safe! Alas it was not to be, hopefully heads have not dropped.

It would be pole position but unfortunately the fact we play Man City compared to Swansea playing already relegated Stoke at home tips the scales in their favour.

We are also reliant on Huddersfield to not get anymore points- which albeit very unlikely cannot be ruled out- to be level on points with them would have been psychologically massive- they would have had to go for it for the rest of their games- as it stands they might be able to park the bus and get a draw potentially. It’s always better to have the points than to chase the points.

However, it’s in our hands. I don’t see the goal difference being swung- so officially must win for us vs Swansea- not quite so much for them (key assumption being they will beat Stoke and we will lose to MC!)

Edited by nta786

I've got the best solution for both teams...

We beat Swansea - move to 36 points (after losing to City on last day)

Swansea then beat Stoke on last day - move to 36 points

Huddersfield lose to City and Chelsea, then only get a draw with Arsenal last day - move to 36 points, but with a largely inferior goal difference and go down

So Carlos, if you're reading this... make it happen :D

Right. Forget the devastation of today and let's just pretend we got a streaky undeserved point. This now comes down to a 1 season game. Just go and win this - which we should if we play like we did today and last week, and in the first half against Chelsea. Our form is decent, we can do this.

I've got the best solution for both teams...

We beat Swansea - move to 36 points (after losing to City on last day)

Swansea then beat Stoke on last day - move to 36 points

Huddersfield lose to City and Chelsea, then only get a draw with Arsenal last day - move to 36 points, but with a largely inferior goal difference and go down

So Carlos, if you're reading this... make it happen :D

Works for me :)

Can’t see it. Blew it against Everton.

They will be a lot better than Everton were and Stephens will be in the middle of a back 3

It’s over, you have to win when you have seconds left and leading in a game

Jesus Christ you are so relentless in your negativity. We can still do this FFS.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

We'll go there in good form,probably our best form of the season, and away from home we aren't too shabby.

We'd have take tonight's position like a shot at 2.59 last Saturday.

Side more or less picks itself, I'd probably start Long, but Charlie is a good alternative.

A win would keep us up but going to be a massive challenge, not sure we’ve got it in us after such a gutting ending to today’s game. I think Swansea will play for a draw and try to hit us on the break. We’ll be cautious as well to begin with .

Everton really were there for the taking today, feels like a defeat.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

We'll go there in good form,probably our best form of the season, and away from home we aren't too shabby.

We'd have take tonight's position like a shot at 2.59 last Saturday.

Side more or less picks itself, I'd probably start Long, but Charlie is a good alternative.

Is Lemina definitely ruled out? Is Romeu free to play?

I sort of agree. We will need to be more positive and go for it. A win tonight would have made us more cautious and likely go for a draw which can be dangerous. Of course we are all assuming we get nothing against MC and I am sure we can't get a result if we play the way we have been over the last few games.

And Stoke have a good chance of getting something from Swansea - even after relegation - It's just that we don't want to be relying on that outcome. Obviously if we had seen it out for the three points today the momentum would have been massive.

A win would keep us up but going to be a massive challenge, not sure we’ve got it in us after such a gutting ending to today’s game. I think Swansea will play for a draw and try to hit us on the break. We’ll be cautious as well to begin with .

Everton really were there for the taking today, feels like a defeat.

No way will they settle for just a draw, they have the chance to relegate us and West Brom if they win.

To be honest we are in a much better position with two games left than I dared hope for about three weeks ago.

To win on Tuesday which will as good as make us safe is something I would have grabbed with both hands after the Chelsea result.

Is Lemina definitely ruled out? Is Romeu free to play?

Of course Romeu can play, 10 yellow deadline passed after 32 games. Next cut off is 15, even OR cannot get to that this season. Lemina, probably subbed as precaution, have to wait and see I guess.

Hopefully we win and don’t need anything vs City. Remember the last time, each day leading up I’d think, nah we’re down, then the next day, maybe we could do it, bit of magic, next day, but realistically we’ll lose...torture

Of course Romeu can play, 10 yellow deadline passed after 32 games. Next cut off is 15, even OR cannot get to that this season. Lemina, probably subbed as precaution, have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks - Lemina is crucial - thought the Romeu, Hojbjerg, Lemina midfield trio worked well today with Lemina having licence to drive forward, Hoj some box-to-box play as well and Romeu holding.

Swansea will be looking at 3 points from that Stoke game and be counting on 36, minimum. They will also be looking at the Huddersfield position and thinking they won't avoid defeat twice in their last three. So they might be in the comfort zone a bit. We should be far far hungrier, and with Carvhalo being the cautious type (think Puel, Pellegrino) we should be able to take the game to them. Romeu will be available, possibly Lemina, and Yoshi couldn't even get in the team a few weeks back, so we are used to defending without him. This is very winnable, and would have taken your arm off for this chance a few weeks ago. 2-0 Saints COYR.

I agree with this. I think our mentality will be better going for a win. We know we're better than them - I'm pretty sure Sparky will convince the players of that.

Might turn out to be a blessing in disguise when we're looking back on it.

I like the chances of a Southampton trying to win against Swansea better than the chances of a Southampton thinking a draw against them might be enough.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Stoke tonk Swansea next weekend - no pressure, won't want to finish bottom, show some pride.

Its amazing how after the second bottle of wine the confidence comes flooding back.

COYR

And Stoke have a good chance of getting something from Swansea - even after relegation - It's just that we don't want to be relying on that outcome. Obviously if we had seen it out for the three points today the momentum would have been massive.

See we have Michael Oliver on the whistle for this one, so goodness know what he will see. Oh and joy of joys running one of the lines with the flag in his hand is Mr Burt the blind numptie who flagged of Gabbis perfectly good goal in the EFL final.

Just bloody win it lads

Deflating to know that after 95 minutes of today's game we were probably safe as we'd have been above Huddersfield, but we can't hold grudges and we go again against Swansea. Simply a must win now as we can't rely on us to get anything against City.

The team will be weaker though with no Yoshida or Romeu, and possibly Lemina so we need each player to be at their best. Midfield looks weak though.

McCarthy

Cedric

Stephens

Bednarek

Hoedt

Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Lemina/JWP

Redmond

Tadic

Long

Why no Romeu? 10 yellow deadline has gone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What a game this is. Crucial that Lemina is fit IMO, the midfield 3 would work perfectly as we’d control the game even more then we did yesterday.

McCarthy

Cedric

Bednerek

Stephens

Hoedt

Lemina

Romeu

Hodjberg

Redmond

Tadic

Long

I do wonder whether he might go Bertrand CB and McQueen wing back though.

CB's to be selected from Stephens, Hoedt, and Bednarek. Possibly all three.

The CB situation is a massive worry for this game. All 3 are green and Hoedt and Stephens dodgy at best. I'd be tempted to put Bertrand in the back 3 for some experience and organisation, and bring McQueen in at LB. Then it's the ultimate Hobson's choice of whether to go with Stephens or Hoedt to play alongside Bertrand and Bednarek.

The fact we have 1 centre back at the club with a decent level of experience is a disgrace.

After so many "must-win" matches this season we've finally arrived at the real one.
This. I don't want to start thinking of what has to happen for us to stay up if we draw or lose.

Hopefully it'll be like the Bournemouth game which we had to win, no compromise. There's a huge prize for winning - virtually safe before the last game.

Drawing means we have to rely on other results and/or get something from City. Not impossible but odds then against us.

The real downer about the equaliser yesterday is that the win would have finished West Brom off and put us above Huddersfield and matching or bettering their remaining fixtures shouldn't be a problem.

And I keep thinking back to the two points stolen at Watford by the most blatant handball, one lost by the ref at City away who played on until they scored. So many ways we could be safe already with not sacking MP and dropping FF earlier the biggest mistakes.

But all irrelevant. The only way to do this is win on Tuesday. Biggest game in ages. COYR!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I still feel that despite the disappointment of yesterday we would have needed a win on Tuesday to all but guarantee safety. I would bet that Huddersfield could get a draw at home to Arsenal who have nothing to play for. So in a way nothing changes.

The CB situation is a massive worry for this game. All 3 are green and Hoedt and Stephens dodgy at best. I'd be tempted to put Bertrand in the back 3 for some experience and organisation, and bring McQueen in at LB. Then it's the ultimate Hobson's choice of whether to go with Stephens or Hoedt to play alongside Bertrand and Bednarek.

The fact we have 1 centre back at the club with a decent level of experience is a disgrace.

It really is; where's Carceres when you really need him? Reed and Kreuger really need booting for their incompetence.

Obviously gut wrenching to concede that late on especially when easily avoidable (Bertrand) but nothing changes in terms of needing win at Swansea which effectively would mean we stay up on GD at worst barring a huge goal swing. The lads will need picking up but still in our hands. Swansea had chances yesterday and v Chelsea but by all accounts they aren't playing great and fans not happy with formation.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

See we have Michael Oliver on the whistle for this one, so goodness know what he will see. Oh and joy of joys running one of the lines with the flag in his hand is Mr Burt the blind numptie who flagged of Gabbis perfectly good goal in the EFL final.

Just bloody win it lads

Michael oliver is probably the best of a very bad bunch!!

May feel like an 11 vs 11 game for a change!

Obviously gut wrenching to concede that late on especially when easily avoidable (Bertrand) but nothing changes in terms of needing win at Swansea which effectively would mean we stay up on GD at worst barring a huge goal swing. The lads will need picking up but still in our hands. Swansea had chances yesterday and v Chelsea but by all accounts they aren't playing great and fans not happy with formation.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Agree with this. Now that I’ve calmed down a little (had to apologise to the kids for turning the air blue when the Everton goal went in...) I have to agree with a number of other posters - specifically, had we won yesterday the need to win at Swansea was 100% still there. I can just imagine us (from decades of experience!) going to Wales cocky or complacent after getting 3 points at Goodison and f.ucking it up. That would put the Swans a point above us if we were to lose with us then having to get something against City whilst hoping Stoke get something at Swansea. Even a draw would have multiple issues for us.

So....nothing really has changed and that is the way we ALL need to view it. We have our destiny in our own hands. We are improving and Swansea are not Barca. Hughes will know how to keep morale up, minds focussed and desire strong.

We can still do this. And 3 weeks ago I would have given my right arm to be where we are now.

Come Tuesday night I will be shouting myself hoarse and likewise Sunday at St Mary’s, whatever the outcome.

COYS.

Good points. What is it, 5 points from the last 3 games. 2 of which we’re away!!

We looked to have no hope after the 3-0 defeats to Newcastle and West Ham

Why on earth Hughes was not brought in 5 games earlier? Just plain bizarre

It will be that which sends us down, no Bertrand or Moss

Agree with this. Now that I’ve calmed down a little (had to apologise to the kids for turning the air blue when the Everton goal went in...) I have to agree with a number of other posters - specifically, had we won yesterday the need to win at Swansea was 100% still there. I can just imagine us (from decades of experience!) going to Wales cocky or complacent after getting 3 points at Goodison and f.ucking it up. That would put the Swans a point above us if we were to lose with us then having to get something against City whilst hoping Stoke get something at Swansea. Even a draw would have multiple issues for us.

So....nothing really has changed and that is the way we ALL need to view it. We have our destiny in our own hands. We are improving and Swansea are not Barca. Hughes will know how to keep morale up, minds focussed and desire strong.

We can still do this. And 3 weeks ago I would have given my right arm to be where we are now.

Come Tuesday night I will be shouting myself hoarse and likewise Sunday at St Mary’s, whatever the outcome.

COYS.

great post and very very good point about Tuesday had we won yesterday.

Tough one.

Swansea were a total non-event against Bournemouth. They didn't show up, and they didn't even look like showing up.

In short, they are crap.

Given how crap Bournemouth were against us, you'd think it'd bode well.

But we can't beat crap teams when we need too, because we're crap too.

I expect us to lose.

Tough one.

Swansea were a total non-event against Bournemouth. They didn't show up, and they didn't even look like showing up.

In short, they are crap.

Given how crap Bournemouth were against us, you'd think it'd bode well.

But we can't beat crap teams when we need too, because we're crap too.

I expect us to lose.

Apart from the crap team called Bournemouth we beat about a week ago when we needed to ?

The bad thing about not winning yesterday was dragging huddersfield right in it and meaning we could still stay up if we lost both remaining games, although unlikely. Like others have said, we now have to keep fighting and there will be no complacency. I also feel the city players will want to be careful in the last game so not to pick up injuries for the world cup, we can get a win against them if need be. Be nice not to have that over us though.