• Lemina
    • Redmond
    • Elyounoussi
    • Ings
    • Long
    • Austin
    • Romeu
    • Targett

Why well done Hughes? We were extremely lucky in the final 10-15 mins. Hughes screwed up the subs. If he was playing counterattacking against Palace with a high press then why bother with Austin on bench and not Gallagher?

Saints Win = no credit for Hughes

Saints Loss = all Hughes fault

Why well done Hughes? We were extremely lucky in the final 10-15 mins. Hughes screwed up the subs. If he was playing counterattacking against Palace with a high press then why bother with Austin on bench and not Gallagher?

My thoughts exactly. As soon as we shifted to Austin up top alone, you just knew that we would be on the defensive. Austin is far too static to play on his own, no pace nor a target man. As much as Long gets slated by many, he's the best option alongside Ings as he makes things happen and Ings will benefit from that.

I should be being more positive as it was a great win! With some very good performances. Plus, we fortunately had the useless Benteke up top for them!

And if we had lost a game but your feeling was that Hughes had made the right decisions you would be praising Hughes despite the result would you?

My thoughts exactly. As soon as we shifted to Austin up top alone, you just knew that we would be on the defensive. Austin is far too static to play on his own, no pace nor a target man. As much as Long gets slated by many, he's the best option alongside Ings as he makes things happen and Ings will benefit from that.

I should be being more positive as it was a great win! With some very good performances. Plus, we fortunately had the useless Benteke up top for them!

I agree Austin up top by himself is stupidity.

However that doesn’t mean someone who would miss an open goal from a yard out is better alongside Ings.

For some reason Hughes decided to load the bench with midfielders today rather than include 2 better strikers he had at his disposal.

However that doesn’t mean someone who would miss an open goal from a yard out is better alongside Ings.

For some reason Hughes decided to load the bench with midfielders today rather than include 2 better strikers he had at his disposal.

Well his strategy was clearly the correct one because we won the game and played very well. We'll done Hughes :)

Big fan of McCarthy, but today he flapped at a couple, one that Benteke should have put away. Yes he kept the ball out at key times but also had a couple of iffy moments. Great result, onwards and hopefully upwards.

Prefer he didn’t miss those but I’m happy that he’s at least willing to come for crosses. Coming & missing is better than just sitting imo. Did well getting a punch on one later too. Made some key good saves too.

It is a lot more than three people.
I know you like doing this sort of thing so please list all the people on this forum moaning about a win? Because I can't see many at all.

Typical saintsweb to exaggerate the silly opinions of the minority so that they become the views of the majority.

Edited by hypochondriac

Just listened to Hughes Solent post match interview where he said Ings hasn't trained all week because of his foot blister problem and Shane has had issues with a foot injury this week and they weren't sure either of them would last the 90 minutes so the that decision seems even more odd. Losing Long and Ings pretty much put us on the back foot. Considering the game plan you'd have expected Gabbi and or Gallagher to be on the bench rather than Austin.

Great result today from the team...

We took advantage of Zaha's absence and upset them with a more Phyiscal approach, rode our luck at times after going 1 up and Charlie really should of put the game our of sight with the penalty, McCarthy had an awesome game keeping them out time and time again and will give Southgate who was watching the game something to think about with the friendlies coming up

I feel the team played alot better this week with at least some threat going forward and looked fairly soilid at the back, maybe bigger more technical teams would of punished us but its something they will gain confidence from with an away clean sheet.

Only another 36 points to get and we can breathe easy for another season :D

Support was good today. What have Palace done to disperse their ultras/flag waving chavs? They were non existent today. Can’t have given that many banning orders.

That’s all stopped. The wanted to relocate to behind the goal but the regulars told them to **** off by all accounts. So they had a paddy.

whoop a win :D. a good performance, until the subs, but wo goals and a clean sheet are not to be sniffed at. We've had good passages of play against Burnley, Leicester and Palace now but coupled with some bloody awful stuff to. Hughes just needs to find a way of making the good parts of games the normally for 80-85 minutes.

Just listened to Hughes Solent post match interview where he said Ings hasn't trained all week because of his foot blister problem and Shane has had issues with a foot injury this week and they weren't sure either of them would last the 90 minutes so the that decision seems even more odd. Losing Long and Ings pretty much put us on the back foot. Considering the game plan you'd have expected Gabbi and or Gallagher to be on the bench rather than Austin.

That makes it even stranger that we had all jwp/Davis & Romeu on the bench.

That’s all stopped. The wanted to relocate to behind the goal but the regulars told them to **** off by all accounts. So they had a paddy.

Believed their own hype and thought they were something special, instead of the reality of being 20 chavs in fancy dress with a drum who play fancy dress at the weekend.

Apparently they’re protesting against the club, which is clearly terrible for the club, as they’ve just sold their seats to other people instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to see a result. Well done to Hughes for not dropping PEH, which seems to have worked out well.

Who were the people wetting the selves with fear because we signed ings? Lol at them.

I can't be sure, but pretty much all of the concern seemed to be that he wouldn't be fit for enough of the season to be worth the money we have agreed for him. I could be wrong, I'm not here as much as you. Do you feel that this has been proven sufficiently wrong already that you can start with your point scoring against them? It seems premature, but hopefully it will prove right.

Not a pretty win that and lets be honest if Benteke had his shooting boots on Palace probably should've won it but we did everything we needed to do in the end.

Hojbjerg, Ings and Elyounoussi had great games and McCarthy pulled some superb saves out. Still think our defence looks about shaky as f*ck and a side with a good goal scorer will put a few past us but i'll take that for now and hopefully it's something to build on.

Benteke looks spectacularly **** it has to be said. A confident striker in his skin would have definitely scored at least once today. Oh well, just TF we met the striking equivalent of Forster and move on.

Great to see a result. Well done to Hughes for not dropping PEH, which seems to have worked out well.

I can't be sure, but pretty much all of the concern seemed to be that he wouldn't be fit for enough of the season to be worth the money we have agreed for him. I could be wrong, I'm not here as much as you. Do you feel that this has been proven sufficiently wrong already that you can start with your point scoring against them? It seems premature, but hopefully it will prove right.

People can have valid concern, those weren't the people I was referring to. It was the posters saying pleeeeeeease not ings!!!!!! Anyone but ings noooooo. Those are the people that have embarrassed themselves.

That was certainly my concern and nothing will be proven otherwise until we are well into the season. If he plays to February/March without picking up a serious injury, then my fears will be eased somewhat. If, on the other hand, he does he knee ligaments (for the 5th time) in October and misses the rest of the season it wont look like such a good deal.

Having said all that, 2 goals already, which is pretty much Long's average for the whole season. 4 more and he'll probably win our golden boot, regardless.

Today we fulfilled the promise shown against Everton and Leicester. Tough to pick a MoM but PEH edges it for me.

Cedric, who has cost us points with lack of height and aerial ineptitude, and has failed to impress going forward, was good at both ends.

I was fearful when Austin came on because Long had contributed so much up front, and Austin will never make that kind of contribution. But if Austin's going to flub a chance from three yards out (I think it was him), and then miss a penalty, he shouldn't even be on the bench. If he's not bringing scoring there's not much else.

For me an ongoing problem is the lack of a "reader" at the back. Vestergaard and Hoedt are reactors, and not very fast reactors at that - a dangerous combo. It was ridiculous when Cedric was left alone with Benteke on an early high ball, and he was rightly pi**ed. The sooner Yoshida is match fit the better, but it's starting to look as though there's something else going on with him.

He was good today, were you watching a different game? Mess
Agreed. He was generally sound apart from one weakish header and a risky clearance that came back. His pass to Targett for the 2nd was great.

I think Hughes will persist with this pairing now as he needs consistency and Hoedt is a younger player than Yoshida, and hopefully will improve.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

People can have valid concern, those weren't the people I was referring to. It was the posters saying pleeeeeeease not ings!!!!!! Anyone but ings noooooo. Those are the people that have embarrassed themselves.

Had a look back at the thread and gave up searching for posts along those lines after four pages. Most posts were very positive with a few concerns over long term fitness and value for money. Perhaps they were all on a dferent thread or you might just be overplaying the part of a very small minority.

We are a very poor side and I'm amazed Palace didn't equalise in the last 20 minutes. Hoedt was dreadful again, consistently bullied by Benteke but a fortunate clean sheet means he'll keep his place now. McCarthy made some great saves but also flapped at crosses that should have resulted in goals.

Long was fantastic up front holding the ball up and giving us an outlet, and Lemina and Hojbjerg were very good in midfield. The rest were pretty crap

You're right about Lemina, Hojbjerg and Long. The rest is drivel.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Haven't seen or read anything of the match, but winning 2-0 with a missed penalty must have been a pretty good performance.

So, firstly, well done Hughes. Winning is a habit, and hopefully we will start to get on a run.

Weren't you quite vociferous on the "Hughes Out" thread?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hughes said in his post match Ings hasn't trained all week as he is still having issues with his blisters. I can only assume that they became infected or something to be causing him issues still.

Good goal and all that but he was really struggling out there. Hope the injury clears up over the international break.

Haven't seen or read anything of the match, but winning 2-0 with a missed penalty must have been a pretty good performance.

So, firstly, well done Hughes. Winning is a habit, and hopefully we will start to get on a run.

Decent. You could easily have been on the golf course today.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk