• Lemina
    • Redmond
    • Elyounoussi
    • Ings
    • Long
    • Austin
    • Romeu
    • Targett

Enjoyed the day out, good news when Zaha wasn’t playing, lots of positives, saints fans nice and loud, nice to hear Yellows being belted again. Really liked Vestergaard, Lemina, PEH today, pass of the match Matth Targett to PEH. Only negative was Hoedts heading, didn’t win one today, feet very good though. Had to laugh at the Palace fan while walking out, “Pompeys gonna getcha” he said :lol:

Big performances both on & off the field today!

I don't get to many away games these days, but gotta say todays atmosphere was the best I have been to for a quite a while.

Fans right behind the team from the first minute & my ears still ringing now :)

AND please can the club take note & ensure the away kit is YELLOW every season!!

I said after both the second half of the Everton game and the Leicester game that I’d seen enough to suggest we were better than last season and today has furthered my optimism.

Saw 11 players that seemed to be enjoying their football and playing for the shirt. An unchanged starting 11 would also suggest that Hughes is close to finding his best team.

The left flank of Redmond/Bertrand is a real highlight already this season and Ings is looking a barging at £20m after my intial thoughts of him being excessively priced.

I’m glad Hughes has indentified that the Lemina/Romeu partnership wasn’t dynamic enough as Lemina/Hojiberg look great together, both technically very good, Lemina showing how good of a player he is!

I still worry we lack pace at the back but we are looking to release the ball early and play out so maybe Hoedt/Vest is the right pairing, Maya may add the pace we need in there though.

Elymo seems to be improving with each game.

Felt we struggled once we changed the front 3 and went to 5 in the middle as it allowed their CBs to push up and pin us in more, but we got the result. Looking forward to the rest of the season

A god away win for sure and two wins on the trot! Everyone put in a good shift.

McCarthy showing why he got an England call up. On the Palace forum someone asked why he didn't play like that for them, and a reply was 'because he was never given a chance..'

Defence much improved. Impressed with Elyounoussi and Højbjerg, and both deserve to keep their places next game. Great goal from Højbjerg. Austin, even though he won the penalty, shouldn't have taken it so soon after coming on. Such a feeble effort. Should of just hit like usual. Hindsight... Well taken goal from Ings though, and glad he's here and hope he can stay fit.

Nice of Hodgson to say we were the better team and deserved it.

We deserved that today. We are playing much better than the cautious defensive one up front dross served up by the two Continental Knob Jockeys and the results are coming. And what a coincidence that the turnaround has come playing 4-4-2. Chuck that UEFA Coaching Manual on the fire.

co-commentator was commenting that 442 is on the upturn again. Makes sense. Formations can only last so long and get sussed and countered.

Edited by OttawaSaint

What a relief to get that first win. It was "edge-of-seat stuff" from the time Austin missed the pen until PEH slotted home the settling second - I'm still trying to work out why that 20 minutes or so was such a struggle? Sure, Palace lifted, we sat deeper and looked a bit panicky. For some time now Saints seem to try and protect a 1-0 lead by sitting deeper which then encourages the opposition to press forward with attacking/midfield subs.

Very impressed with Hojbjerg and Lemina - both full backs were good; Hoedt was better, Vest ok. Redmond had a good first half; I couldn't see the performance some saw in Moi, let's hope he settles into that wide attacking role. McCarthy was outstanding. Only Austin disappointed with uncharacteristic misses and characteristic immobility.

I'm still trying to work out why that 20 minutes or so was such a struggle? Sure, Palace lifted, we sat deeper and looked a bit panicky. For some time now Saints seem to try and protect a 1-0 lead by sitting deeper which then encourages the opposition to press forward with attacking/midfield subs.

For me it was losing both Ings and Long. With their pace and running they gave Palace's backline a torrid time and meant we always had outballs & could pressure from the front. Given Ings' fitness issues I presume Long was slated to go the full 90, hence only the one striker on the bench. After they both went off we were left with Austin up top on his own who doesn't offer the same mobility, resulting in the ball coming back as soon as we cleared our line and subsequent building of pressure.

As a Mark Hughes fan, I have to admit to being puzzled by the 70th minute substitutions that made the side more defensive. Trying to defend a one-goal lead feels like a risky strategy. You could say it was justified because it worked, with sub Matt Target playing as a wing back and laying on the superb pass that led to Højbjerg's goal but taking off Ings, who had scored the first goal and Elyounoussi who had hit the bar was hard to understand. We'd already lost Shane Long through injury so I found it odd that both the other strikers were replaced with defensive players. If Alex McCarthy hadn't saved with his legs, the close range header from Dembele just on 90 minutes, we' might be feeling very different about yesterday's game. Managers can't openly admit to misjudgment but I'd be very surprised if Hughes isn't reviewing the substitution decisions with his coaching team, or at least, in his own mind.

The sheer relief when we scored the 2nd was brilliant. I was fearing the worst when the board came up for 6 feckin minutes,

after the battering my nerves had already taken in the previous 20 mins!!

How on earth did we get away with that keystone cops goal mouth scramble?:lol:

Roll on Brighton in just over two weeks.

For me it was losing both Ings and Long. With their pace and running they gave Palace's backline a torrid time and meant we always had outballs & could pressure from the front. Given Ings' fitness issues I presume Long was slated to go the full 90, hence only the one striker on the bench. After they both went off we were left with Austin up top on his own who doesn't offer the same mobility, resulting in the ball coming back as soon as we cleared our line and subsequent building of pressure.

The same? He doesn't offer any mobility. I'm baffled as to why he was our only striker on the bench and why Gabbi wasn't there. He's the absolute last person you'd want to bring on when you're winning away from home, he puts zero pressure on the defence and runs like he is carrying a piano.

The same? He doesn't offer any mobility. I'm baffled as to why he was our only striker on the bench and why Gabbi wasn't there. He's the absolute last person you'd want to bring on when you're winning away from home, he puts zero pressure on the defence and runs like he is carrying a piano.

very true. Hughes pushed Lemina further forward to add some 'mobility' up top

Gabbi in preference to Austin on the bench for me. Gabbi needs time on the pitch to show what more he can being to the team than Austin.

Nice to see Hodgson say we deserved to win, it's rare managers ever do that, they seem to always make excuses.

With regards to the pen, Hodgson said it was a good save and both Shearer and Keown on MOTD said it was a good save, not sure what they were all watching but Austin basically passed it to the keepers legs from what I saw, he would have had a hard time not saving that. Awful pen, especially from a player who usually smashes them most of the time.

Hoedt is what he was, but the boo boys look for the negative in a performance not the positives.

As mentioned above, a couple of good blocks, also he brings the ball out with composure for Targett to feed PEH for the second when for the last 20 minutes we’d been hoofing it back to their CB’s.

Perhaps Hughes wants big (tall) centre backs that win more headers. He seemed to prioritise that facet of the game at Stoke

Vestegaard looks very good. It’s who plays with him, personally I’d favour Yoshida but still think we are perming 4 reserves for a starting spot in Hoedt, Yoshida, Bednarek and Stephens.

The sheer relief when we scored the 2nd was brilliant. I was fearing the worst when the board came up for 6 feckin minutes,

after the battering my nerves had already taken in the previous 20 mins!!

How on earth did we get away with that keystone cops goal mouth scramble?:lol:

Roll on Brighton in just over two weeks.

how did we get away with Benteke not scoring the header from four yards out? I guess we earned that bit of luck today. Plenty of occasions it has gone the other way for us. Brilliant win. Just like last year it was slightly unexpected. Zaha injury helped...a lot, but we still had to play well and create chances. Very happy indeed. Proper spring in my step after that. I fear the worse for us this season, so every goal, every point and every win is incredibly precious. Early points will boost confidence and that can snowball into a decent season. Well, thats what I hope anyway. COYS.

Perhaps Hughes wants big (tall) centre backs that win more headers. He seemed to prioritise that facet of the game at Stoke

So he would play Yoshida then, Maya is taller than Hoedt according to the stats (1.89 v 1.88). Bednarek is also taller than Hoedt (1.89). Hoedt 50% aerial duels won, Yoshida and Stephens both 60%.

Any other theories?

Vestegaard looks very good. It’s who plays with him, personally I’d favour Yoshida but still think we are perming 4 reserves for a starting spot in Hoedt, Yoshida, Bednarek and Stephens.

tough position. Benteke to mark one week,Walcott the next. And they need to be able to play out from the back.

So he would play Yoshida then, Maya is taller than Hoedt according to the stats (1.89 v 1.88). Bednarek is also taller than Hoedt (1.89). Hoedt 50% aerial duels won, Yoshida and Stephens both 60%.

Any other theories?

dunno. None are what I would call dominant in the air. Maybe Yoshida was **** in games against Stoke, so Hughes has no confidence in him?

how did we get away with Benteke not scoring the header from four yards out? I guess we earned that bit of luck today. Plenty of occasions it has gone the other way for us. Brilliant win. Just like last year it was slightly unexpected. Zaha injury helped...a lot, but we still had to play well and create chances. Very happy indeed. Proper spring in my step after that. I fear the worse for us this season, so every goal, every point and every win is incredibly precious. Early points will boost confidence and that can snowball into a decent season. Well, thats what I hope anyway. COYS.

Same way as Palace got away with Long not scoring from a header at a similar distance

dunno. None are what I would call dominant in the air. Maybe Yoshida was **** in games against Stoke, so Hughes has no confidence in him?
Yoshida scored against Stoke last season at the Bet 365, good goal, although we lost.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

As Hodgson said we deserved the win overall. It's not the most fashionable thing to say after a disappointing home defeat but he's always been a sportsman and a gentleman. I think MH got it right until the subs. Leaving us with little outlet up front put us under near constant pressure for the last 20 mins, and we were a little fortunate not to concede during that period. Gabbi or Gallagher might have been more effective with greater mobility. Don't agree with the boys on MOTD, Austins penalty was as poor as I've seen, not sure if he scuffed it but was a shocker. Agree with previous posts, Austin is the last player to bring on under those circumstances, and his contribution was minimal. Aside from that good performances from all the players, with marked improvements from PEH, Cedric, Moi and even Hoedt. Redmond looking consistantly good as are Lemina and Ings. Long put in a shift as he does as well.

I predicted this win and feel we can only get better. If we beat BHA next we can build even more confidence and momentum for the more difficult games ahead. I hope Gabbi gets a game soon though ahead of Austin.....

As Hodgson said we deserved the win overall. It's not the most fashionable thing to say after a disappointing home defeat but he's always been a sportsman and a gentleman. I think MH got it right until the subs. Leaving us with little outlet up front put us under near constant pressure for the last 20 mins, and we were a little fortunate not to concede during that period. Gabbi or Gallagher might have been more effective with greater mobility. Don't agree with the boys on MOTD, Austins penalty was as poor as I've seen, not sure if he scuffed it but was a shocker. Agree with previous posts, Austin is the last player to bring on under those circumstances, and his contribution was minimal. Aside from that good performances from all the players, with marked improvements from PEH, Cedric, Moi and even Hoedt. Redmond looking consistantly good as are Lemina and Ings. Long put in a shift as he does as well.

I predicted this win and feel we can only get better. If we beat BHA next we can build even more confidence and momentum for the more difficult games ahead. I hope Gabbi gets a game soon though ahead of Austin.....

I agree , I normally dislike Roy but he was pretty decent, fair play

Nice to see Hodgson say we deserved to win, it's rare managers ever do that, they seem to always make excuses.

With regards to the pen, Hodgson said it was a good save and both Shearer and Keown on MOTD said it was a good save, not sure what they were all watching but Austin basically passed it to the keepers legs from what I saw, he would have had a hard time not saving that. Awful pen, especially from a player who usually smashes them most of the time.

That was a dreadful penalty. Any penalty saved I suppose is a good save but Charlie made it far easier than it should have been, especially a striker whose only real contribution is supposed to be sticking it in the net.

Agree about Hodgson, I wish more managers would say it like they see it. He gave a few interviewers grief last season for focusing solely on whatever reffing decision was most controversial and ignoring teams and tactics, and he's right.

Zaha huge miss, they were really poor. We were decent until we scored yet again. Amazed we didn’t concede after the awful penalty miss. Up to 10th

Hojberg excellent probably best game from him yet. Still a cheating **** tho, screamed like he broke his leg today...got straight back up. Ings great finish but obviously hampered by his foot

Seriously, can anyone unravel the Yoshi mystery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been waiting for the whispering campaign about Yoshi's behaviour to start coming out of the club, can only be a matter of time (and no he's not acting badly before people jump to conclusions).

don’t get this ‘we played poorly and were lucky’ or ‘negative football second half’ ... i thought we absolutely dominated the first half. palace hardly had the ball and we had chance after chance. great movement, attacking intent. second half was simply a great defensive display, from mccarthy to the back 4/5. i thought Cedric especially made some excellent tackles and did a great job of stopping attacks down palaces left side. we changed 2 attackers for 2 defensive players (Romeu and Targett) to close out the game and thats exactly what we did. which is unlike us, granted, and usually a cautious approach hasn’t worked well for us. but today i thought we defended well against intense palace pressure second half, and first half had all of the ball and did something useful with it. austin’s pen was awful, mccarthy saved us on 3-4 occasions and PEH showed he’s got some pace. I liked the fact lemina was able to play a little forward after Romeu was bought on beside PEH in the middle of the field. Bertrand and Redmond continue to link up excellently. And Ings firmly deserves the No. 9 shirt after I had my doubts about whether he was what we needed.

Great atmosphere. Proper celebration when PEH slid in the second.

Hoedt better than the boo boys give him credit for. Benteke may not be able to hit a barn door, but he’s a handful in the air.

Midfield starting to look really good. Love the way Ings chases everything down. Love the ‘Austin runs like he’s carrying a piano’ line

COYR

I've been waiting for the whispering campaign about Yoshi's behaviour to start coming out of the club, can only be a matter of time (and no he's not acting badly before people jump to conclusions).

Is he upset at being out of favour behind a lesser centre back? I would be

Why is hoedt still getting grief for yesterday. Made two crucial blocks in a row in the scramble where the ball was pinging around our box

He scuffed it about 3” when he could/should of properly cleared it.

Generally a slight better performance from him yesterday but still not the player Yoshi is I’m afraid.

He scuffed it about 3” when he could/should of properly cleared it.

Generally a slight better performance from him yesterday but still not the player Yoshi is I’m afraid.

He blocked it on the line, admittedly rushed his clearance and booted it straight to a palace player, but most importantly threw himself in the way of that to make up for the slight error.

Did you forget the very calm way he brought the ball out from the back and played an excellent past to Targett leading to the 2nd goal?

And it’s “have”, not “of”.

V early days but it wouldn’t surprise me if the current bottom 6 are the final bottom six. So it was important to get the Palace win after dropping points at home to Burnley. Can’t see us finishing below any of West Ham, Cardiff, Hudders, Barcodes, Burnley and Palace.

West ham and Palace won't go down. They had terrible starts last season too and finished above us. I do hope west ham go down though. Absolute banter club. I think huds, Cardiff and toon will go down. Saints to finish 10th. Coyr.

He blocked it on the line, admittedly rushed his clearance and booted it straight to a palace player, but most importantly threw himself in the way of that to make up for the slight error.

Did you forget the very calm way he brought the ball out from the back and played an excellent past to Targett leading to the 2nd goal?

And it’s “have”, not “of”.

My God. If you have to try and strengthen your weak argument by questioning my English on a minute technicality you really do need to find more evidence to back up your opinions on the subject.

A poor attempt discredit my point which is, by the way based on 20 games not just one pass in one game.

Crawl back in your study and stick to what you claim to know best - construction of sentences! Idiot!

My God. If you have to try and strengthen your weak argument by questioning my English on a minute technicality you really do need to find more evidence to back up your opinions on the subject.

A poor attempt discredit my point which is, by the way based on 20 games not just one pass in one game.

Crawl back in your study and stick to what you claim to know best - construction of sentences! Idiot!

Your post was very specific on the one point about the scuffed clearance.