The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

And yet here he is, being regularly dropped and subbed off for Celta Vigo, having failed to impress 3 Saints managers.

just a bit more detail for those that are interested:

first four games he was on the bench and was brought on in each game, scoring in the fourth.

started the fifth game, played 70 minutes but got injured, missed the next game, then was an unused sub in game after.

Came on in the week 7 game for last 20 minutes, scoring.

He started the next 4 games, but came off after 74, 81, 45 and 63 minutes.

Came on for last half hour in week 13 game.

Started next four games, subbed after 63, 66, 71 and 76 minutes.

He didn’t do fine, he was dropped by all 3 managers he played under.

Throwing a strop when being subbed off for the reserves, playing for himself and not the team, shouting in MoPe’s face after he scored against WBA, then preceding to do nothing when MoPe started him in the next 4 games.

And yet here he is, being regularly dropped and subbed off for Celta Vigo, having failed to impress 3 Saints managers.

Couldn’t have said any of this better myself.

Southampton are one of three Premier League clubs who have been repeatedly linked with a move for Shoya Nakajima in recent months.

The Portimonense player has been impressing, and with the Saints sending scouts to watch the club, the assumption grew that he must be the target.

That makes some sense, and Southampton sent an official to Portugal on Wednesday to watch Nakajima in a big test against Benfica, report O Jogo.

Portimonense won, thanks to two own goals from Benfica defenders, and Nakajima was one of the stars of the show.

O Jogo say the Japan international has been ‘coveted by the Saints’ recently, and they believe Manchester United, Southampton, Alavés, Mallorca, Freiburg and Feyenoord have also been potentially keeping an eye on the player.

The Red Devils scout near enough every Benfica match, so there’s probably not much to read into that.

Wednesday’s match should have been Nakajima’s last for his club before joining up with Japan ahead of the Asian Cup, but Portimonense are trying to keep him to play in their weekend game against Maritimo.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-interest-backed-club-official-sent-portugal-wednesday/

Doesn't say what position he plays. Any ideas?

Left forward, Bexy. Cutting in from the flank.

Wolves were said to have nearly had the deal done so not sure why it's not done. Wouldn't have thought we'd have the cash spare. LCFC still have Mahrez cash to spend as well.

I'd seen Big Vic mentioned...

Ambitious Albion want Wanyama

Victor Wanyama is a shock transfer target for West Brom - but he’s not keen.

The Championship club want to do a loan deal with Tottenham for the midfielder.

But they will have a job on convincing the player to come to the Midlands.

Wanyama wants to stay at Spurs and fight for his place - but would be open to a move to another Premier League club in the south.

Don't see the point in bringing back Wanyama as the current manager clearly rates Romeu in that role.

There's other areas we need to be focusing on.

Wanyama is a massive upgrade on Romeu. The only reason he fancies Romeu is because we have no other options in that role. PEH, ML and JWP are completely different players and are more box to box rather than holding.

Wanyama is a massive upgrade on Romeu. The only reason he fancies Romeu is because we have no other options in that role. PEH, ML and JWP are completely different players and are more box to box rather than holding.

Doesn't really fit the SFC business model although we've seen exceptions to that in the past with Pelle and Ings to a degree. Same goes for Clyne. All depends on how 'desperate' we are I guess.

What gives you the impression that Wanyama would come back to Saints?

Wonder if any legs in the Lookman links, seeing as RH signed him for RBL.

Wouldn't have thought so. He's playing a few more games now for Everton, isn't he?

Can't imagine Everton need the cash, either.

Just the sort of player we should be looking at, though.

Boufal's work rate was always good, no idea why people labelled him as lazy, he was just inconsistent.

But doubt we can recall him.

What we need is Shane Long, but with the ability to shoot, control a ball, pass etc. Basically Timo Werner, but obviously not him but someone similar.

I have some idea why

Ralph Hasenhuttl says Southampton are not simply looking to reduce their squad, but will look to buy players who suit his philosophy.

The Austrian admitted on Thursday his squad is currently too big and must be reduced by sales, with Steven Davis and Manolo Gabbiadini both heavily linked with exits.

Despite the need to offload, Hasenhuttl has not ruled out the possibility of signings - providing players meet the requirements of his philosophy and represent a long-term investment.

"I know there is few interested in him," Hasenhuttl said of Gabbiadini. "The fact is our squad at the moment is too big and we have to sell players and he is one other clubs are interested in. In the next few weeks or days it could happen.

"For my kind of football, for my philosophy, I need more speed, I need more running quality, and therefore we will need new players.

"What we do now is [make] the big squad get a little bit smaller and then we will have a look if we find someone who helps us to move our deficits away.

"We are open-minded and our eyes are open so we know in the winter period it is not so easy to find transfers.

"If we do something it must also be for the future, it doesn't help us if we have a short term we are facing, we have to have a longer-term [plan].

"It should be a player who is not too old but fits perfectly in our philosophy and then it can be possible that we do something."

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11597728/southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-wants-signings-to-suit-his-philosophy

I'm staggered at how the previous 3 managers (Hughes, Pellegrino and Puel) found the squad OK in terms of pace and squad size. It's just become too bloated with average. It hasn't taken Ralph long to realise that we need pace and we need to trim the squad a bit, that's been needed for 3 damn seasons now.

What a difference it makes having an actual manager who sees the game how he wants to see it, and isn't trying to play along with a club philosophy of passing football. (Which means nothing)

I'm staggered at how the previous 3 managers (Hughes, Pellegrino and Puel) found the squad OK in terms of pace and squad size. It's just become too bloated with average. It hasn't taken Ralph long to realise that we need pace and we need to trim the squad a bit, that's been needed for 3 damn seasons now.

What a difference it makes having an actual manager who sees the game how he wants to see it, and isn't trying to play along with a club philosophy of passing football. (Which means nothing)

Passing football in itself was not the problem. Not having an end product was the problem. There is nothing wrong with keeping possession but at some point you need to make it pay.

Pacey attacking players who can actually play though are not easy to find, most end up being Adama Troare or Lennon type players, lots of pace, not a lot of product, or Shane Long for example.

I mean look at the likes of Sterling, Salah, Sane, Mane, Hazard etc. these players would end up going for £150 million if sold.

Same with quick strong ball carrying centre mids, Keita, who was key under Ralph at RB went for what £65 million. We have to try to find these players earlier obviously like we did with Mane, RB did with Keita, but everyone is looking for the same.

Pacey attacking players who can actually play though are not easy to find, most end up being Adama Troare or Lennon type players, lots of pace, not a lot of product, or Shane Long for example.

I mean look at the likes of Sterling, Salah, Sane, Mane, Hazard etc. these players would end up going for £150 million if sold.

Same with quick strong ball carrying centre mids, Keita, who was key under Ralph at RB went for what £65 million. We have to try to find these players earlier obviously like we did with Mane, RB did with Keita, but everyone is looking for the same.

I guess we'll be looking for a rough diamond we can try to polish. Bournemouth did that with Fraser to good effect.

To be fair in hindsight Traore would have been a good impact player to have.

Abraham worth a punt? Seems to be scoring for Villa and Chelsea looking to get rid (although themselves saying they need another striker)...

The fee of £18m being touted around isn't a punt, would almost be our record signing.

I fully expect that when we do sign someone, it will be a Ralph signing. But I think people need to go out first (Davis & Gabbi first, Hoedt and Forster too would be lovely..)

Abraham worth a punt? Seems to be scoring for Villa and Chelsea looking to get rid (although themselves saying they need another striker)...

Typical Chelsea, always miss directly what's under their nose and go off and sign other players. Batshuayi, Abraham, T. Hazard, De Bruyne, Bertrand Traore, and seemingly now Hudson-Odoi all quality players that for one reason or another they seem to overlook. (Not to mention others...)

I think Abraham would be a decent signing, still raw but he's already shown he knows where the goal is and could go on to be a top striker in a couple of years. Was hit and miss on loan for Swansea though at this level. Wolves interested in him. (Personally I'd like to see Batshuayi here - Palace interested in him...)

The fee of £18m being touted around isn't a punt, would almost be our record signing.

I fully expect that when we do sign someone, it will be a Ralph signing. But I think people need to go out first (Davis & Gabbi first, Hoedt and Forster too would be lovely..)

& our problem is that those 3 are going to be difficult to shift.

I actually think Gabbi will go back to Italy no fuss and probably not make much of a loss.

Hoedt still has 3.5 years left, Forster the same. Both on big money. They will certainly be a problem.

Problem is Fiorentina just signed a striker & Milan are under FFP sanctions.

We'll probably have to loan him out. We really struggle to sell players we don't want.

Cherries loan Defoe to Rangers:

Sky sources: Bournemouth agree 18-month loan deal for Jermain Defoe to join Rangers.

The deal has two recall options – in the summer 2019 and January 2020.

The 36-year-old has made just four substitute appearances in the Premier League with his only starts coming in the Carabao Cup.

Maybe. Could be brilliant. Looked average at Swansea but they didn't create much and he's far too good for the championship. We'd be a good club for him to develop and £18m isn't crazy these days.

Isn't he going to Wolves?

Thought I’d keep my fellow sprouts in the loop.

Davis or his agent were up in Glasgow last night sorting contract out, looking like a done deal.

Ac Milans reps were at Chelsea trying to sort a deal out with Gabbi, but two other Italian sides are locked in talks.

Hoedt, no one wants him currently.

Cedric, injury may scupper deal back to Portugal, but sides from Italy and Spain want him.

Macca, keep hearing he is off to Liverpool but could be utter tripe, the source said he would be dropped for Chelsea, so we shall see.

You can take this info anyway you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis or his agent were up in Glasgow last night sorting contract out, looking like a done deal.

Ac Milans reps were at Chelsea trying to sort a deal out with Gabbi, but two other Italian sides are locked in talks.

Cedric, injury may scupper deal back to Portugal, but sides from Italy and Spain want him.

Macca, keep hearing he is off to Liverpool but could be utter tripe, the source said he would be dropped for Chelsea, so we shall see.

Cheers. When you say injury may scupper the deal back to Portugal, what do you mean? He's now fit and playing.

It really is pretty easy for anyone with zero inside knowledge to post stuff like this, merely by scouring the internet for rumours.

ziwpas.png

#mess

Have feeling McCarthy will go to Arsenal. Not itk. Obvs

Why do you suggest that MaCarthy wants to leave? He's been called up for England, he's No 1 at Saints so why on earth do you imagine he'd chuck all that away to sit on a bench somewhere else? What would be the point of him going anywhere except to a top 6 side with guarantees of a first team place and that's not going to happen is it.

Why do you suggest that MaCarthy wants to leave? He's been called up for England, he's No 1 at Saints so why on earth do you imagine he'd chuck all that away to sit on a bench somewhere else? What would be the point of him going anywhere except to a top 6 side with guarantees of a first team place and that's not going to happen is it.

He’s hardly guaranteed first choice long term, given the investment in Gunn.

Why did Begovic trade stoke for being 2nd choice at Chelsea.