The January Transfer Window 2019!

Kieran1uk

I don't know why, perhaps its just sheer desperation, but I keep looking at this thread in the full knowledge that it never has anything other than regurgitated media rumours and keyboard warrior's outpourings.

I should know by now that anyone genuinely ITK won't be posting on here.

Stating the obvious perhaps, but it may be unreasonable to expect too much to happen soon because:

1. No movement out - We have too many players who are not good enough, on good contracts. As a player, especially a more senior one, why wouldn't you just stay put and take the money for 2-3-4 years? ...rather than move and take a pay cut

2. No movement in - the squad, and wage bill, is already too big because of 1.

3. No movement out - its unlikely that anyone in the higher leagues would want our rejects (is another Premier League team likely to want Hoedt?) - anyone in the lower leagues won't be able to afford their wage demands (hence loan outs)

3. No movement in - We are in the relegation zone - why would a good player come here and risk relegation?

and so we wait, waiting for a pleasant surprise...but with low expectations

unfortunately, this sums up the reality of our situation. The only hope is that the new manager may have good contacts who understand his style and want to play under him. Otherwise, 'we're doomed'.

I don't know why, perhaps its just sheer desperation, but I keep looking at this thread in the full knowledge that it never has anything other than regurgitated media rumours and keyboard warrior's outpourings.

Stating the obvious perhaps, but it may be unreasonable to expect too much to happen soon because:

1. No movement out - We have too many players who are not good enough, on good contracts. As a player, especially a more senior one, why wouldn't you just stay put and take the money for 2-3-4 years? ...rather than move and take a pay cut

3. No movement out - its unlikely that anyone in the higher leagues would want our rejects (is another Premier League team likely to want Hoedt?) - anyone in the lower leagues won't be able to afford their wage demands (hence loan outs)

3. No movement in - We are in the relegation zone - why would a good player come here and risk relegation?

yep exactly. and so frustrating that big clubs can, not always, but largely get rid of their rejects because smaller clubs assume they could be good with game time, see Liverpool with Solanke/Ibe, or City with Iheanacho etc etc

but clubs like us with rejects is awful and really holding us back. A part of me thinks maybe we should have kept the pay structure of 2012-13/2013-14, but now if I recall correctly we have players like Jack Stephens, Shane Long, Charlie Austin, Targett all probably on around £50k a week... Again, I think when we had Alderweireld with us he was only on £40k!!!

this banding out of new contracts has largely it seems removed the motivation to improve but also harder to remove the deadwood...

Have to disagree with a good player not wanting to crime and risk relegation.. Ralph didn't mind coming who had a decent profile on paper. And for plenty of players from abroad it's chance to shine in the best league in the world, a more likely path to the first team then if they joined a bigger club, Also there maybe relegation clauses which could work in the interest of both club and player..

No Targett and strengthening Fulham for the sake of £10m would have been insane.

I'd have preferred McQ to Targett anyway, personally. If he would have strengthened them, it still wouldn't have been enough to be Premier League quality.

Were it not for our own incompetence at boardroom, management and squad level, we'd be nowhere near Fulham in the League anyway.

I'd have preferred McQ to Targett anyway, personally. If he would have strengthened them, it still wouldn't have been enough to be Premier League quality.

Were it not for our own incompetence at boardroom, management and squad level, we'd be nowhere near Fulham in the League anyway.

Please could you tell me who has been incompetent at St Mary's as I have no knowledge about it

Please could you tell me who has been incompetent at St Mary's as I have no knowledge about it

For real?

This one isn't very observant.

3points of champions league to relegation fodder in 3 transfer windows....

Edited by Saint86

Still no news then...

7 days in to the window and the only movement so far is Davis to Rangers, which we all assumed would happen last summer anyway.

When can we expect Alpine Saint's customary meltdown about how we are always so slow to do our business and miss out on our primary targets as a result?

For real?

This one isn't very observant.

3points of champions league to relegation fodder in 3 transfer windows....

So did you not think that if we sold our best players and replaced them with inferior players we would not be in the bottom half of the League

We cannot succeed unless we spend mega bucks on players or produce top class footballers from the Academy

We cannot succeed unless we spend mega bucks on players or produce top class footballers from the Academy

Or we buy somewhat off-the-radar / unproven younger players with potential. You know, the ‘Southampton way / model’ which we’ve been following successfully until the last couple of years when the black box caught a virus.

So confusing on here. We have loads of people saying people are too pro academy players and yet huge numbers relentlessly slagging off academy players.

Targett has done fine for someone fairly inexperienced at this level. Going forward he's decent, defensively he did far better when under Koeman with a more settled experienced defence. No coincidence. If you expect academy players to come in and have no flaws immediately then give up. Alternative is signing overpriced backup on big wages. How does that help? A club our size having Targett as back up LB is fine and he'll learn from Bertrand.

Targett is already well ahead of Valery in his performances but both have a shot of becoming good enough for this league in time. Not sure how many expensive flops we need to sign before people get more patient with academy players.

Target only did well for Koeman when playing as a wing back with Bertrand playing at left-sided centre back.

He's not a big step up on Danny Fox defensively. Gets beaten by pace or trickery virtually every time.

He has a great cross and works hard, but is a bit lacking in agility and is pretty slow to turn or recover from errors, especially when defending 1v1.

Overall, he's a good wing-back but a poor full back.

7 days in to the window and the only movement so far is Davis to Rangers, which we all assumed would happen last summer anyway.

When can we expect Alpine Saint's customary meltdown about how we are always so slow to do our business and miss out on our primary targets as a result?

Not true, though I know what you mean. Sims, Jones, Hesketh and Flannigan are back and Barnes could now be added. Nothing of great merit there but giving Ralph some more options.

For posts actually relating to transfers or at least who anyone would like to come in rather than the borefest on here at the moment.

For me get a centre-back, Wanyama and a quick inside-forward.

Given how we're already tight on wages, I can't see us spunking a fair bit on a DM we don't need. In fact it's literally the only position we don't need to strengthen (GK aside).

Or we buy somewhat off-the-radar / unproven younger players with potential. You know, the ‘Southampton way / model’ which we’ve been following successfully until the last couple of years when the black box caught a virus.

Only the delusional would think we could continue to pick up young players and think they would develop in to world class players

Only the delusional would think we could continue to pick up young players and think they would develop in to world class players

Do you mean Les? This was / is our strategy.

BTW not sure anyone is mentioning 'world class players' but players who can be acquired relatively cheaply, do a good job for the club for a couple of seasons then move on for significantly higher value and repeat. Supplemented by developing youth and the occasional 'exception' such as Pelle. In the absence of a middle-eastern or similar beneficiary there aren't so many other options if you want to stay in the Premier League.

Have any journo's even asked Ralph what positions we are looking for? Too many asking him things like "What do you think of Man City vs Liverpool?"

Historically, our January's seem to vary in quality. It's hard to know what cash (if any) we may have.

Jan 2013 - Forren

Jan 2014 - N/A

Jan 2015 - Elia / Djuricic

Jan 2016 - Austin

Jan 2017 - Hassen / Caceres / Gabbiadini

Jan 2018 - Carrillo

I'm guessing this summer it might be more like 2015, where we get a couple of loans in as we're just going to be freeing up wages rather than bringing any big transfer fee sales in.

Alan Nixon believes we are in for a centre half - trying to get more info.

Thank goodness for that. Hope it's Cahill or better still the Leipzig chap 'Upandcomingmo', of whatever he's called (Upamecano)

Also have to question, regardless of what RH wants, whether Krueger and Wilson will actually be able to get deals done.

Especially in the January market, where we have had a couple of very recent cluster****s.

Yeah, I remember last year. even company man Pellegrino moaned about us needing to act quicker.

Have any journo's even asked Ralph what positions we are looking for? Too many asking him things like "What do you think of Man City vs Liverpool?"

Historically, our January's seem to vary in quality. It's hard to know what cash (if any) we may have.

Jan 2013 - Forren

Jan 2014 - N/A

Jan 2015 - Elia / Djuricic

Jan 2016 - Austin

Jan 2017 - Hassen / Caceres / Gabbiadini

Jan 2018 - Carrillo

I'm guessing this summer it might be more like 2015, where we get a couple of loans in as we're just going to be freeing up wages rather than bringing any big transfer fee sales in.

3 poor strikers bought in the last 3 Jan windows, Jan is never a good time to buy, but highlights the issues we've had for some time now (goals!)

Would be nice to hear the odd rumour, guess it is reliant on getting enough out the door.

A DM doesn't seem a priority. Seems more like one for the summer maybe.

Can someone convince me that the Goetze rumour is actually possible? Thanks

It doesn't whilst Romeu is fit but he's the only one we've got. If we can strengthen there we should.

Just a sign of how poor the squad is.

One decent striker.

One defensive midfielder.

One right back.

Loads of poor centre backs.