Derby 2-2 Saints reaction

JustMike

Yoshi is going to be a big loss for the next few weeks. He's the best defensive reader of situations we have.

Vestergaard and Stephens are reactors, not readers, and slow reactors at that - making us vulnerable down the middle. How often did they both try to clean up the same situation today?

So I'm glad that Romeu, PEH and Lemina are getting some time off now. They will be vital in the coming weeks.

Agree on Yoshi & certainly agree with the Romeu / Lemina time off. Ditto Ings.

Pretty poor all round, bar Redmond who is looking like a real player.

Good to see so many youngsters on at the end, but it led to a really disjointed performance. Very much a second string selection.

And damn, we have some crap in the squad: Long, Targett, Moi and Moi are terrible. (Moi so bad he's mentioned twice..... can we get our money back?)

Pretty poor all round, bar Redmond who is looking like a real player.

Good to see so many youngsters on at the end, but it led to a really disjointed performance. Very much a second string selection.

And damn, we have some crap in the squad: Long, Targett, Moi and Moi are terrible. (Moi so bad he's mentioned twice..... can we get our money back?)

:D :D

Had Solent on in the garage disappeared back up the house and we where 2-0 up seemingly in control when I came back we are at 2-2 seemingly under the cosh we really need to learn how to control games a 2-0 up against lower league opposition you really should be seeing a game out. The biggest thing for me is this game highlights how dependent we have become on Redmond (and good on the lad going from not even in the squad last season to main man this season) for a goal threat if he gets injured we are going to struggle.

I’m sure Hasenhüttl would have wanted a win but I’ve got a feeling he is mixing things up and testing players. Don’t forget the under 23’s train with the first team now. There’s no way we will be relegated, Hoedt has just been added to the transfer list.

He’s in it for the long haul.

He’s got the rest of this season, get players in and out in the January window then the summer to build a quality side.

This. Only saw the second half with no commentary - bit of an overreaction here - always want us to win but wasn't too bothered how this game went tbh. Ralph using this to continue finding out more / confirming what he already knows about the squad. He will have reconfirmed Redmond is the only true class player on the pitch today - also that nobody else in our team today is indispensable and some are must move outs with Long and Moi top of that list. Bit underwhelmed by our attacking subs...in particular Barnes who did nothing and looked slow.

Cedric wasn't great, everyone crying for him to come back has been looking at him from rose-tinted glasses in my opinion - Valery and Kayne Ramsey would not have looked out of place ahead of him..

They really haven't been though. The forum's been pretty divided and uncertain on Cedric for a while. There's a thread specifically about Cedric or Valery and after a couple of pages, it was pretty much even. Nobody's been hyping Cedric's contributions this season.

This is why I watch the NFL now, so much nicer, intense, atmosphere and everything happens in 4th quarter. Sure it sucks when you lose but there's a sense of community you don't get in football :D
What?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I’m sure Hasenhüttl would have wanted a win but I’ve got a feeling he is mixing things up and testing players. Don’t forget the under 23’s train with the first team now. There’s no way we will be relegated, Hoedt has just been added to the transfer list.

He’s in it for the long haul.

He’s got the rest of this season, get players in and out in the January window then the summer to build a quality side.

How many players do you think he can realistically get in this month?

well saw the first half, watched 2nd half until 65thn minute then had to go somewhere.

Long/Austin no longer PL level unfortunately, Moi was awful, Targett not good enough, dunno if we should have accepted the £15m from Fulham- McQueen was a faster player and might well have been coached better under Ralph. Vestegaard also a mistake or two in him.

however, 2-2 probably the fair result given the slice of luck we had with our first, and I'm actually quite looking forward to a replay- we can probably look forward to a light show again :lol:

I just hope tickets will be dirt cheap, and the other plus is that PEH will be back from Everton home game.

This is why I watch the NFL now, so much nicer, intense, atmosphere and everything happens in 4th quarter. Sure it sucks when you lose but there's a sense of community you don't get in football :D

Hmmm, you might be onto something here. Why bother with Association Football when the far more entertaining American version is available? I should imagine the Premiership will be defunct within 10 years after enough people have realised.

A fairly good first half where the gap in quality between the two team was pretty evident, even though we played quite a few of our reserves and youngsters. Despite not having the muscle in midfield that players like Lemina, Hojbjerg (if available), or Romeu would have brought to the team, we still were winning more of the possession, and the passing was generally neat. Although Austin and Long didn't add much threat up top, Redmond did and he was a constant thorn in Derby's side. I think that he should be credited with the first goal, as his shot was on target before their player deflected it. His second goal was quite stunning.

As we started the second half, there didn't appear to be enough quality or threat from Derby to suggest that we could not win it at a stroll, but perhaps complacency sank in and we grew careless and took our foot off the pedal. We didn't defend in numbers when they broke through and a well taken goal from them lifted their spirits. It should have been a wake-up call to our players, but Derby were the team playing with the belief and urgency and we had lost the midfield and the high pressing and the momentum was with them. We had chances to have gone ahead, particularly with the chance Elyounoussi had, and all he had to do was head the ball to the left or right of their keeper.

Thankfully, right at the death in extra time, Derby had the chance to have knocked us out with pretty well the last kick, but their player was equally wasteful, earning us a replay at St Mary's.

Hasenhuttl was adventurous in playing several of the youngsters, which is to his credit, and will have learned some valuable lessons. Austin, Long and Elyounoussi were largely a waste of space. The full backs were OK, particularly playing better with Cedric on his natural side and both got forward well. But when Derby's tails were up in the second half, the extra CB was needed. In the end, although we were much the better team in the first half, overall the match was finely balanced at the conclusion. But we could have tipped that balance in our favour had we played one or two of the stronger players available to us. Hasenhuttl probably saw it as an opportunity to test some of the youngsters while keeping those experienced first choice players fresh for the PL. On the plus side, we are closer to the return of Hojbjerg and also Bertrand, plus any other players we might bring in to improve the team.

Was at the game. Really thought when we got the second we would see it out comfortably, but one awful pass from Vestergaard and it felt like the insecurity of past was back.

After that we had no composure. JWP, Redmond ok. A lot of mediocrity in the rest. Austin did nothing. Long didn't run, and doesn't do anything else. Vestergaard needs Bednarek. Targett is out of sorts. Thought Stephens was mostly ok. Slattery decent, with promise. Gunn ok. Not a lot of enthusiasm about the youngsters, but give them time

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Overall, very poor performance with multiple players showing they are finished at Saints.

Gunn - made some solid saves, could do nothing with goals. 6

Cedric - decent enough. 6

Vestergaard - Awful. Sloppy pass out of play lead to first goal. Seemingly cannot play in a back 4 as too much space to cover. 3

Stephens - also cannot play in a back 4. Should have scored. 3

Targett - not for me, Clive. Awful defensively and tentative going forward. If we wasnt from the Academy he wouldnt be near the first team. 3

Slattery - ok for a debut. 6

JWP - promising performance, but needs a partner who wins duels. 7

Elyounoussi - no lack of effort, massive lack of quality. Will be another who is loaned out for a few years. 1

Redmond - excellent. Our player of the season so far. So much rests on him staying fit. 9

Austin - waste of space. Should be his last game for us. 3

Long - see Austin. 3

Barnes & Johnson - fairly anonymous in brief appearances.

Ralph will know he needs additions, as there is no quality outside the starting XI he has used.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Agree with most of that, except I think Austin can still play a role as a last 20 minute sub. He should never start again. Moi and Long can piss off.

Moi, Hoedt, Vestergaard and the Donkey. How much money wasted on that dross??? Not to mention the Clown and Hughes payoffs. Thanks Les.

A fairly good first half where the gap in quality between the two team was pretty evident, even though we played quite a few of our reserves and youngsters. Despite not having the muscle in midfield that players like Lemina, Hojbjerg (if available), or Romeu would have brought to the team, we still were winning more of the possession, and the passing was generally neat. Although Austin and Long didn't add much threat up top, Redmond did and he was a constant thorn in Derby's side. I think that he should be credited with the first goal, as his shot was on target before their player deflected it. His second goal was quite stunning.

As we started the second half, there didn't appear to be enough quality or threat from Derby to suggest that we could not win it at a stroll, but perhaps complacency sank in and we grew careless and took our foot off the pedal. We didn't defend in numbers when they broke through and a well taken goal from them lifted their spirits. It should have been a wake-up call to our players, but Derby were the team playing with the belief and urgency and we had lost the midfield and the high pressing and the momentum was with them. We had chances to have gone ahead, particularly with the chance Elyounoussi had, and all he had to do was head the ball to the left or right of their keeper.

Thankfully, right at the death in extra time, Derby had the chance to have knocked us out with pretty well the last kick, but their player was equally wasteful, earning us a replay at St Mary's.

Hasenhuttl was adventurous in playing several of the youngsters, which is to his credit, and will have learned some valuable lessons. Austin, Long and Elyounoussi were largely a waste of space. The full backs were OK, particularly playing better with Cedric on his natural side and both got forward well. But when Derby's tails were up in the second half, the extra CB was needed. In the end, although we were much the better team in the first half, overall the match was finely balanced at the conclusion. But we could have tipped that balance in our favour had we played one or two of the stronger players available to us. Hasenhuttl probably saw it as an opportunity to test some of the youngsters while keeping those experienced first choice players fresh for the PL. On the plus side, we are closer to the return of Hojbjerg and also Bertrand, plus any other players we might bring in to improve the team.

Good summary.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

As I thought as the time, watched a stream with no replies.

Their first was an embarrassment. Even if their man hadn't got onto the end of it, it would have gone to the next man and he'd have had almost an empty net.

Their second was avoidable too but a good goal on their part. Reminded me of the Huddersfield goal against us a few weeks ago. Should have been closed down quicker but take nothing away from the finish, what a hit!

Unfortunate fact of life, if we have to sell the 'talented' players and have to keep the dross ie Long, Mo, Hoedt, Austin etc we will be struggling next season in the Championship

Our list of managers have been badly let down by the dreadful selection of new players to replace the long list of stars we have had to let go.

Austin, Long, and Moi were utterly useless. The first two don't even look like footballers most of the time. Their touch is bloody awful and neither of them can pass reliably.

Targett is beaten far too easily when 1v1. Looks completely unsuited to playing as a full back. He seems far better as a wing back.

Vestergaard and Stephens either need to play together a lot more to get some understanding, or preferably both play in a 3/5. Both have plenty of weaknesses in their game.

Cedric was OK. Better going forward than Valery but not as solid in defence, particularly when the ball is lobbed up in the air.

Gunn was alright, nothing he could have done about their goals.

Slattery played OK, JWP was good.

Redmond MOM.

Long, Austin, Elyounoussi and Targett were diabolical. The former two are actually a bit of a joke now, they’re not even L1 standard and they’re regularly trying to do a job in the PL. Bit pathetic really.

Ralph Hasenhüttl was frustrated by his side’s failure to progress into the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup at the first attempt after a 2-2 draw with Derby County at Pride Park.

Nathan Redmond’s brace had put the visitors into the lead, but goals from Jack Marriott and Tom Lawrence in a quickfire spell means the two sides will now have to contest a replay at St Mary’s.

And Hasenhüttl feels his players can learn a lot from the contest, after the Rams second-half response.

“That’s a result we didn’t want to have. To play another game is not necessary today I think because for 60 minutes we were the better team and I felt the tactics were perfect,” he began.

“After the break, the opponent tried long balls to get more chances but we didn’t give any away until the 60th minute. At 2-0, I think we were feeling too comfortable which is always dangerous in a cup match because the opponents will never give up.

“Then at 2-1, I felt we needed to push the tempo high again but we did it too late and you can see what happens.

“In the last ten minutes both teams tried to win the game and it was open with chances for both teams but we made it difficult for ourselves.

“If you start getting sloppy then it’s difficult to win, also against a Championship team. That’s what we have to learn.

“We showed we are prepared with a new shape which is a positive thing to play the 4-2-2-2 for the first time but over 90 minutes we were not concentrated or sharp enough to take the win.”

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-01-05/ralph-hasenhuttl-post-derby-county-southampton-emirates-fa-cup-third-round

Shame in a way we gave up the two goal lead but we were caught out, slow at centre back and light in front of them when Derby opened us up. Personally I wanted a draw to get Hojbjerg back for Everton. It'll also give Ralph another game to get the team playing his way.

This. Was hoping for a draw.

Unfortunate fact of life, if we have to sell the 'talented' players and have to keep the dross ie Long, Mo, Hoedt, Austin etc we will be struggling next season in the Championship

Our list of managers have been badly let down by the dreadful selection of new players to replace the long list of stars we have had to let go.

A very good summary. I was certain that with the sales Pelle, Mane and then Tadic, relying on Long, Austin, Ely and Redmond would see us playing Championship football because those players are AT BEST at that level. This game without doubt showed this to be true, but even I didn’t think Long, Ely and Austin could be THAT bad. To his credit, Redmond did well today, but that was against a backdrop of very poor squad competition and against a weak Derby side.

For some reason the early press became more and more diluted and this led to their goals. It’s pretty common to see less organisation when a younger or inconsistent side is put out and that’s what we saw in defence. Targett needs to have a very good game to be a reasonably ok player, but today he looked poor by his own standards. JWP put in an ok performance, but not his best - typical of him (and others) when the armband is handed over.

We didn’t need the replay, but game time to help Ralph shape the squad further will help. Having Ings out for an extended period could be significantly catastrophic in the longer term as Long and Austin are finished.

Fair summary, and laugh out loud at most of the miserable b@stards on here.

Ended the game with Johnson, Barnes and Slattery on the pitch and Valery and Ramsay on the bench after their recent debuts. No way any of them would have been near the team under Hughes or Pellegrino.

Great Captain's performance from Prowsey. Marked that invisible bloke for a tireless jogging 93 minutes. Now he is on 8 losses and 5 draws in his last 13 appearances.

He can even hit the stand when shooting! Also he should get his mum to give him a hanky so he doesn't have to keep on wiping the snot onto his sleeve.

Great Captain's performance from Prowsey. Marked that invisible bloke for a tireless jogging 93 minutes. Now he is on 8 losses and 5 draws in his last 13 appearances.

He can even hit the stand when shooting! Also he should get his mum to give him a hanky so he doesn't have to keep on wiping the snot onto his sleeve.

Best review I’ve ever read. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be at least 13 by now surely.

Fair play to Redmond who was by far the best player on the pitch.

A tidy debut from Slattery and the usual 6/10 performance from JWP.

The rest of them were awful quite frankly and some of them wouldn't look out of place in L1.

How Gabbiadini is deemed surplus to requirements when Long, Austin and Moi are given numerous chances is completely baffling.

Poor Ralph has a lot of work to do.

Redmond pretty much the only quality player out there today. Targett and Elyounossi wouldn't make most Championship teams and Shane Long has given up pretending to be a footballer. However the worst part today was hearing fans on the way out of the ground debating whether or not Hasseenhuttl needed to go. "Big Sam would save us" was a regular theme. :facepalm:

Love it, win a game or battle for a draw. Ralph is a genius.

Lose or don’t get a favourable result - Ralph has work to do.

No matter the result today, we had a pretty terrible side out. Midfield wise was light, no Hoj, Rom or Lemina. 4 at the back not 5. No Armstrong or Ings. I’m fairly sure our normal side would’ve done a lot better.

For me it highlights how weak our squad are, players like JWP, Targett, Long, Mo, Slattery, Stephens, Cedric and Austin either need to buck up there ideas and play better or get lost.

I’m bored of watching JWP and Long try hard and do zero every game. It’s boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk