Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Because we have an owner not willing to spend any money. We can only spend what we generate, wage wise and transfer wise.

Hence why Che didn't come in until we had shifted Targett.

Fantastic, so the sale to Gao has taken us forward as far as becoming the most cash-constrained non-promoted club in the league. Let the good times roll.

Its fairly obvious that Gao’s lack of finances coupled with Reed’s disastrous last couple of years (which has lumbered us with expensive duds we can’t shift & managerial payoffs) has left us seriously hamstrung, and will for some time to come. I’ll be seriously surprised if we get a decent centre back in at this stage.

Its fairly obvious that Gao’s lack of finances coupled with Reed’s disastrous last couple of years (which has lumbered us with expensive duds we can’t shift & managerial payoffs) has left us seriously hamstrung, and will for some time to come. I’ll be seriously surprised if we get a decent centre back in at this stage.

Ross will deserve a medal if we can generate enough funds to land anyone else.

If we don't break our investment policy and sign a CB, then I hope the club's confidence that we have a zero risk of relegation next season proves accurate. Otherwise the whole fiscal responsibility line will ring pretty hollow when revenues plummet for the sake of adding one more senior squad member.

Ummm! Boufel to Nice. A contract has been offered, so rumour has it.

It is the area of the pitch we're most bloated with players, 7 (Redmond, JWP, Djenepo, Boufal, Armstrong, Moi, Sims) for two team slots and two spaces on the bench (one of which Ralph would probably prefer to give to a youth prospect).

I'd prefer to get rid of Moi and Armstrong but I can't see either of them going this season.

Probably the one player who if staying could benefit us the most. This is very frustrating but I knew Reed's miss-management would hurt us long after his departure. Ralph must be equally as frustrated.

Technical ability will be missed but mental fortitude?

These days if the player isn’t a ‘team player’ it can be counter productive especially for mid table sides when team performance is key to beating better sides and those of equal ability .

Fantastic, so the sale to Gao has taken us forward as far as becoming the most cash-constrained non-promoted club in the league. Let the good times roll.

Errr.... this has been the philosophy of the club ever since Cortese left. Gao has merely bought in to that philosophy. A couple of wobbles like the huge sum paid for Carrillo shows that the alternative is not that brilliant (for a club like ours).

To be fair it was Koeman who said that once you start playing regularly in Europe you need a much bigger squad to rotate with quality back ups in every position. The club backed him and then he left and we dropped out of Europe. But hey, lets blame Reed and Krueger. it's much easier for some to ge their head around.

To be fair it was Koeman who said that once you start playing regularly in Europe you need a much bigger squad to rotate with quality back ups in every position. The club backed him and then he left and we dropped out of Europe. But hey, lets blame Reed and Krueger. it's much easier for some to ge their head around.

I blame Reed and Krueger rather than Koeman because this kamikaze transfer and contract fiasco happened on their watch not Koeman. Whilst he may have wanted a big squad, he didn't make us sign the ****e that we have, and give the ludicrous contracts that we did, after his departure. Blaming Koeman for our current mess is nearly as stupid as giving Forster the contract that he was given.

Starting to get worried now. As good a manager that Ralph is, we surely need a couple more players before the window shuts if we want to improve our league position.

What a contrast from 4-5 years ago when we were selling all our best players, now we are stuck with a load of overpriced deadwood on ridiculous wages.

Oh Les, how did it all go so wrong?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Starting to get worried now. As good a manager that Ralph is, we surely need a couple more players before the window shuts if we want to improve our league position.

What a contrast from 4-5 years ago when we were selling all our best players, now we are stuck with a load of overpriced deadwood on ridiculous wages.

Oh Les, how did it all go so wrong?

And Les got pelters in both scenarios

If we don't break our investment policy and sign a CB, then I hope the club's confidence that we have a zero risk of relegation next season proves accurate. Otherwise the whole fiscal responsibility line will ring pretty hollow when revenues plummet for the sake of adding one more senior squad member.

I thought I read it also depends on other transfers occurring further up the food chain. But it seem strange if for the sake of an additional contract clause a player that is seen as important to be competitive in the PL is missed. The down side of course is whether they turn out to be more Hoedt than van Dijk.

Errr.... this has been the philosophy of the club ever since Cortese left. Gao has merely bought in to that philosophy. A couple of wobbles like the huge sum paid for Carrillo shows that the alternative is not that brilliant (for a club like ours).

This was *not* the rhetoric used when the club was sold. It was all about taking us to the next level - someone should have to own that, whether it was outright deceit or a subsequent change of tack.

This was *not* the rhetoric used when the club was sold. It was all about taking us to the next level - someone should have to own that, whether it was outright deceit or a subsequent change of tack.

Really, because my memory tells me otherwise. Oh we had Kat saying this and that, about how she had sold to someone who would be good for the club, so justifying her £210m. I'm not sure we heard anything from the new owner, or if we did, it was the "live within the club's own means" bit which was synonymous to no outward investment.

The PL is basically split into two camps. Those clubs with owners that invest big money, those that don't. While you have Man U/C, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves, Villa, Leicester etc, we are with the likes of Burnley, Brighton and Norwich when it comes to investment. I know that we are slightly hamstrung at the moment with expensive bloat, but Bournemouth's owner has a more daring do approach than we do, so I can very much see the day when they are in the PL and we aren't.

we have added a couple of decent players so should improve position,no? Add in the fact we had nearly half a season of DinoHughes running the show and that will be another boost.

Oberall with what we have I think we can finish top 12 comfortably.

Yeah I think we can be comfortable mid table. Outside the top six all the squads are pretty average any team that can get a few a wins and build some confidence and momentum can push for 7th ( like Burnely did). The big spenders outside the top six like Everton and Liecester are still miles off the big boys and not much better than the rest of the division.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

True to an extent, but it was clear what the business model was and that our prized assets would have been sold.

And it’s clear that it still is the business model. And no shame in it. In the absence of external investment, it’s the only way the model works.

I still think we’re stronger in attack last season with Adams, not to mention an unpredictable Djenepo that seems to have all the right assets. I think this is key to breaking down the weaker teams in the league that often pack their midfields, this is where our extra points will come from this season. I do think if Boufal leaves we have room for another attacking player, especially as Moi can’t be trusted to deliver after last season, but I think what we have will have to suffice even if Boufal leaves. There’s always January.

Defensively we’re still a worry, but with Hoedt and Cedric brought back on board, maybe the club feels that is that, especially financially and perhaps with a lack of decent affordable players in the market. Definitely quantity over quality at centre back.

Then, if we start with Gunn and McCarthy in goal, we look pretty strong there IMO, and suddenly not being able to sell McCarthy becomes a decent thing for us.

As for the deadwood? Who knows. Austin, Carillo, Forster and Lemina. We can only hope someone panics and signs them.

I blame Reed and Krueger rather than Koeman because this kamikaze transfer and contract fiasco happened on their watch not Koeman. Whilst he may have wanted a big squad, he didn't make us sign the ****e that we have, and give the ludicrous contracts that we did, after his departure. Blaming Koeman for our current mess is nearly as stupid as giving Forster the contract that he was given.

^This.

It IMO looks increasingly likely that rehabilitating Hoedt into something approaching a good player might be our plan B to buying a new centre-back probably with us going into the season using the back 3 again.

We then have Cedric here as extra cover for Valery in the wingback role.

Really, because my memory tells me otherwise. Oh we had Kat saying this and that, about how she had sold to someone who would be good for the club, so justifying her £210m. I'm not sure we heard anything from the new owner, or if we did, it was the "live within the club's own means" bit which was synonymous to no outward investment.

The PL is basically split into two camps. Those clubs with owners that invest big money, those that don't. While you have Man U/C, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves, Villa, Leicester etc, we are with the likes of Burnley, Brighton and Norwich when it comes to investment. I know that we are slightly hamstrung at the moment with expensive bloat, but Bournemouth's owner has a more daring do approach than we do, so I can very much see the day when they are in the PL and we aren't.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Traditionally the Chinese are risk averse and in for the long game and here we are only a year or so into the new owner's tenure. We talk often about 5 year plans but don't rule out the possibility that he could have a 10 year plan - remember a journey of 1000 mile begins with a single step.

We are where we are and it is of no help to keep looking backwards to play the blame game with people who are a million miles away from the Club now and couldn't give a stuff.

Ralph seems to be better than that and very much the realist. His mantra is probably "These are the players we've got so I'll make the best of them"

After all every single one of them has climbed through their academy ranks to become paid professionals and into first XI's of Top League European teams so de facto all are very good players. It is a myth that the PL is the best league in the world and many of these players cannot raise their standards to that level. What is different about the PL is its physicality and pace which are quite different issues to pure football skill. Nobody would expect a Border Collie to win a greyhound race after all.

So if certain players find it hard to adapt physically to the PL just be aware that they have not suddenly become poor players worthy only of derision from mindless fans. As for why these individuals were signed in the first place the answer is that they are damned good footballers but nobody on Earth could have predicted which of them can meet the physical rigours of the PL and which ones could not.

... and for those who bemoan the 5 year contracts just remember what happened a couple of years before that so everyone thought that longer contracts were the way forward to stop our best players being syphoned off by richer clubs after a couple of years.

It IMO looks increasingly likely that rehabilitating Hoedt into something approaching a good player might be our plan B to buying a new centre-back probably with us going into the season using the back 3 again.

Yep. Seems likely.

Gunn

Yoshi Vestergard Bednarek

Valery Lemina (unlikely) Hoibjerg Bertrand

Redmond

Adams Ings

Leaves a lot of good attacking players out of the team though. Boufal, JWP, Djenepo, Long etc.

I think Saints being unable to shift the dead wood out is the same for all premier league teams, where ever they are in the pecking order.

Ozil at Arsenal, Sanchez at Man U, No one will take them because of their wages. Same for us with Forster, Carillo, Hoedt etc

Bale at Real - they can't get rid. .

Imagine the carnage if we got relegated? A whole team on big wages that no one wants.....

Ok relegation clauses would (I hope) halve them, but still - Forster on £30k!!

We'd be doomed.

I would rather have Hoedt on the bench as backup over Stephens.......there I’ve said it, but Jack really is **** poor.

Do believe there is a good player in there, but like all our centre backs, they need the right partner and balance and the right player shielding the defence in front of them. I don't think we've currently good a good enough combination between any of our two centre backs and a DM, which is why we have to play 3 at the back.

It is the area of the pitch we're most bloated with players, 7 (Redmond, JWP, Djenepo, Boufal, Armstrong, Moi, Sims) for two team slots and two spaces on the bench (one of which Ralph would probably prefer to give to a youth prospect).

I'd prefer to get rid of Moi and Armstrong but I can't see either of them going this season.

I've always thought that Armstrong is an asset to the side. Unspectacular, unfashionable but does the simple stuff well and effective. I'd want us to make space for him to at least be available off the bench.

I've always thought that Armstrong is an asset to the side. Unspectacular, unfashionable but does the simple stuff well and effective. I'd want us to make space for him to at least be available off the bench.

He has a knack of coming on at the end of games and making stupid mistakes and decisions which have cost us numerous goals.

Really not too sure about him.

He has a knack of coming on at the end of games and making stupid mistakes and decisions which have cost us numerous goals.

Really not too sure about him.

This. The Bournemouth game at SMS, I'm still angry about that.

Do believe there is a good player in there, but like all our centre backs, they need the right partner and balance and the right player shielding the defence in front of them. I don't think we've currently good a good enough combination between any of our two centre backs and a DM, which is why we have to play 3 at the back.

IIRC When we first signed him he was pretty good for the first few months, then just seemed to get worse and worse, but still swanned around like he was our best player.

I wonder if being shunted out on loan and then struggling to get into a Celta team has meant he's had to eat some humble pie.

I believe I read a story that when he returned back for pre-season he was the fittest player and achieved the highest score in the beep test, which maybe coupled with him seemingly not on the 'discarded' pile with Austin, Lemina etc. means he has had a big shift in attitude and might under Ralph knuckle down, learn and improve?

I mean we must have seen something in there to buy him, plus this is a guy that was performing well for Lazio in Serie A and was playing for the Dutch national team at like 22-23.

IIRC When we first signed him he was pretty good for the first few months, then just seemed to get worse and worse, but still swanned around like he was our best player.

I wonder if being shunted out on loan and then struggling to get into a Celta team has meant he's had to eat some humble pie.

I believe I read a story that when he returned back for pre-season he was the fittest player and achieved the highest score in the beep test, which maybe coupled with him seemingly not on the 'discarded' pile with Austin, Lemina etc. means he has had a big shift in attitude and might under Ralph knuckle down, learn and improve?

I mean we must have seen something in there to buy him, plus this is a guy that was performing well for Lazio in Serie A and was playing for the Dutch national team at like 22-23.

Yeah - he's also still pretty young...he's not long turned 25, younger than Stephens. If he can cut out the mistakes, I think he'll be ok, but thats a big if.

As much as I think Djenepo looks a very exciting signing, it would have probably made more sense to deal with Cb position before signing him..I mean we have redmond, boufal,sims Armstrong and possibly jwp or moi (if we ate feeling desperate ) that can play there.

Feels a bit like when we signed Gunn over more needed positions last year.. it’s best to plug the holes first!

I'm not blaming. Koeman either. My point was it was the right decision at the time. The blame game sucks.

Signed a striker and winger. Not crap.

Just need a defender, along with about 40 other clubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still have Austin, Hoedt, Forster, Carrillo and others I am sure we hoped to have moved on

still have Austin, Hoedt, Forster, Carrillo and others I am sure we hoped to have moved on

Shame it’s not that easy, massive wages, stupid social network posts putting off clubs and egos.

I’m sure you would moan if we sold them too cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk