Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

His LinkedIn profile says he is...

Director of Football Operations
Southampton Football Club
Feb 2020 - Present  2 yrs 7 mos
Southampton, United Kingdom
Overall responsibility for the club’s football strategy, philosophy and culture.

No it says he is Director of football operations, the original poster clearly stated DOF (director of football) 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dellman said:

EAsy to talk about Ralph and bullets but no sensible suggestion about who would be available and better

Or, to turn it around, who could do worse than 5 points out of the last 39 with goal difference of -24?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

If RH is to move into an ‘upstairs role’ I suspect it would be with the wider SR group rather than SFC.

Issue being of course that SR have yet to expand the group to warrant this role.

I can't see RH moving anywhere internally...he either stays or goes, hopefully the latter.

As for Poch, I can't imagine for one minute he'd come here to work with our players.

Just now, Paul Chuckle said:

No it says he is Director of football operations, the original poster clearly stated DOF (director of football) 

That is the same thing 🙄

His role description on LinkedIn says... Overall responsibility for the club’s football strategy, philosophy and culture.

That is what a DoF is!

• Haha 1

Just now, saintant said:

Or, to turn it around, who could do worse than 5 points out of the last 39 with goal difference of -24?

Yep...the mentality of "let's stick with a failing Ralph cos we can't think of anyone better" is ridiculous. He's a busted flush...and it's hard to see anyone doing worse. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

33 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is the same thing 🙄

His role description on LinkedIn says... Overall responsibility for the club’s football strategy, philosophy and culture.

That is what a DoF is!

Futile squabble...Ralph ain't taking his job! 

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Since beating WHU in the FACup we have won 1 match in all competitions, ( Arsenal ), and drawn 2, ( Leeds and Brighton ), out of 14 matches played.

Laughable that people continue to defend him. Needed to go after a shite Burnley team comfortably beat us 2-0 last season. The Arsenal result was a complete and utter fluke. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Just what mlg loves. I think the saying is don't wrestle a pig, you get dirty and the pig likes it

Or “Never play chess with a pigeon. The pigeon just knocks all the pieces over, shits all over the board then struts around like it’s won.“

• Haha 3

I want it to work out for Ralph, but if we dont have at least 7 points after the Brentford game in early September (7th game), then he has to go. Act early and get a replacement in sharpish. Its been well documented that we have an ever-developing shortlist of suitable managerial candidates, so it shouldnt take long. 

I fear that we'll stutter along with the occasional glimmer of hope, followed by the odd shocker, but Ralph will remain. Then while still in the relegation picture come March, we'll go on our annual winless run to finish the season.

Its only the first game of the season and yes I expected Spurs to beat us comfortably, but it was just typical Saints under Ralph. Go in front, play some decent stuff and then capitulate to hand them the easy win. Ralph can do nothing about Salisu's brain fart, but he sure as hell can do something about team selection. I appreciate that players can play their way into contention during pre-season but Valery as a CB option and Armstrong up top by himself was just mind boggling. Neither to me set the world on fire in pre-season games and just look at the problems Che caused Spurs last season. If either starts against Leeds then Ralph has just lost the plot. Djenepo is another who needs to be dropped if Perraud is deemed ready.

Also to go with two defensive mids in front of a back 5 was painfully negative. I honestly wouldnt put it past Ralph sticking with the same for Leeds.

• Like 4

I have been very much Ralph in. I have always been of the thinking that keeping that squad in the PL, with the lack of funding previously seen, has been an incredible achievement (which to my mind it is)

I am beginning to find it almost impossible now to keep being so certain. Saturday, for all the "meltdown" etc that gets thrown around was really concerning to me.

I think behaviours trickle down. He makes questionable in game decisions an awful lot, which in turn can lead to the team (especially the defence) making utterly dreadful mistakes.

You have a team who cant score many goals who also leak a LOT of goals. In the end thats just not sustainable and I think, will cost him his job. It's becoming increasingly difficult for me to not feel like its warranted too.

• Like 11

18 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Since beating Arsenal we have played 7 games and taken 1 point. We also took 1 point in 5 PL games before the Arsenal game. So 5 points in 13 matches is correct.

( We also lost to Man City in the FACup in the game before Arsenal ).

Fair enough, but selectively misleading. In the five games before the five before Arsenal we won three and had draws against Man City and Man Utd. I make that 16 points in 18 matches. Still not good enough and heading in a bad direction. 

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Fair enough, but selectively misleading. In the five games before the five before Arsenal we won three and had draws against Man City and Man Utd. I make that 16 points in 18 matches. Still not good enough and heading in a bad direction. 

Most managers are sacked on the basis of current form, not results from half a season ago. How many managers have been sacked after 1 win and 2 draws in 14 matches ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I don't think it is misleading,  the trajectory is alarmingly a downward one, a nosedive. I wouldn't want to be on a plane piloted by Ralph Right now. 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

I accept all that, Ralph has completely lost the plot, but until the spectacular nosedive in March we were riding comfortably. For the home games against Everton and Norwich there was almost a carnival atmosphere at St. Mary’s where we all knew that we were going to win. Then we beat West Ham in the FA Cup with a different team and a different style of play but it all went wrong from then on.

What happened?

• Like 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

I accept all that, Ralph has completely lost the plot, but until the spectacular nosedive in March we were riding comfortably. For the home games against Everton and Norwich there was almost a carnival atmosphere at St. Mary’s where we all knew that we were going to win. Then we beat West Ham in the FA Cup with a different team and a different style of play but it all went wrong from then on.

What happened?

What always happens after a decent run. Ralph thinks he’s the cleverest man in the room, starts coming out with weird ideas, nobody knows what they’re doing and it all falls apart.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I heard from a normally reliable source that Ralph has 6 games to pull us out of this dire run of form.

If unsuccessful his new No 2 will take over.

i can believe the 6 games thing but i cant believe that his number 2 is waiting in the background to jump into his grave. Surely if that's the agreement then its just delaying the inevitable. 

6 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

I heard from a normally reliable source that Ralph has 6 games to pull us out of this dire run of form.

I'm fairly sure Selles was brought in with a view to take over at some point, as he seems to be heading on that trajectory (following the Thomas Frank journey).

But....this season would be too soon, I'm sure the club will explore that at the end of Ralphs deal, but if they have to change up before that we'd have to go for an established manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spyinthesky said:

That’s very plausible, I think 6 games could be too long if the current trend of accumulating 0.38 points per game will have amassed a mighty 2.3 points by then. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Doesn't give Selles much incentive to help Ralph for those 6 games. If Ralph fails, then Selles becomes a PL manager.

1 hour ago, spyinthesky said:

In which case, if true, we’re as good as down then. 

If we’re pinning our survival hopes on someone with absolutely no managerial experience at first team level, we’re fucked. 

2005 all over again. 

It’s almost so ridiculous, I can’t see it. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Dman said:

If we’re pinning our survival hopes on someone with absolutely no managerial experience at first team level, we’re fucked. 

2005 all over again. 

WHy can't we just be a normal premier league side.

We had it for a bit, then decided to sell half-a-team in a summer and got lucky.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

2005 all over again. 

I think he knows it too, as he's looked at the first six and felt that we will be lucky to get three points. So cashing in his chips already by playing batshit crazy team selection to force the compensation. Or he is just shit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

2005 all over again. 

It’s almost so ridiculous, I can’t see it. 

Pretty much.

From what I can see from our signings, this lot are just like Rupert Lowe with a better bank balance. I get that the club doesn't have money to burn like most the clubs in the league but just signing players to flog them for a profit later on is not going to end well. The bottom line is the first XI needs to improve or we go down and any strategy for making profit goes up in smoke anyway.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

One would assume that, as Ralph's Number Two, Selles was part of the decision-making that produced Saturday's ludicrous starting lime-up. If so, I have little faith that he could make much of a difference.

Alternatively, Ralph is even more autocratic than most of us suspect, and didn't give Selles much of a say in the decision. That would be giving the finger not just to Selles but also to SR. However, it also wouldn't say much for Selles' likely ability to man-manage a team of highly paid, egotistical athletes.

It's almost as though Ralph would rather get a nice payoff than go through the next eight potentially disastrous months.

35 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

WHy can't we just be a normal premier league side.

We had it for a bit, then decided to sell half-a-team in a summer and got lucky.  

Because some premier league sides are now owned by rich countries, not individuals. Everton have recently spent ten times what we have this window, it got them nowhere. The money we’ve spent this window might be enough to stop us from sliding back towards relegation but it’s nowhere near enough to push us much beyond 14-17th territory at best.

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Because some premier league sides are now owned by rich countries, not individuals. Everton have recently spent ten times what we have this window, it got them nowhere. The money we’ve spent this window might be enough to stop us from sliding back towards relegation but it’s nowhere near enough to push us much beyond 14-17th territory at best.

not really answered the point of why cant we be a normal premier league side (like half of the division)

47 minutes ago, DT said:

I think he knows it too, as he's looked at the first six and felt that we will be lucky to get three points. So cashing in his chips already by playing batshit crazy team selection to force the compensation. Or he is just shit.

The simplest solution is usually the correct one. He is just shit.

• Like 3

Until the owners and Board think the premier position is in jeopardy he stays. If they were not going to back him they would have got rid in summer. Don’t forget success for them is survival so they will be delighted by what he has done so far. Whether we play well or not on top of this is a bonus. I think they will give him a lot longer than any of us believe at this time. They are not going to tell us they are happy with form or it will affect supporter behaviour, support / income. I think we are in for a rough ride to come yet. I only hope we can keep these youngsters heads up. 

The level of muppetery on this forum is a sight to behold.

What a bunch of fucking wet fannies.

News to most of you: we have played one game in a 38 game season having spent 60 million pounds and losing no one significant that was on our books this summer.

Go have a lay down and come back and complain if we are still bottom after 10 games.

Fickle Fickle Fickle fans

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

News to most of you: we have played one game in a 38 game season having spent 60 million pounds and losing no one significant that was on our books this summer.

Go have a lay down and come back and complain if we are still bottom after 10 games.

When we are bottom.

Just delaying the inevitable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The simplest solution is usually the correct one. He is just shit.

It is not only the tactics, non existent coaching and player selections it is Ralph’s lack of positive language. All we get now is ‘it will be tough’ Tottenham, West Ham or whoever are superior to us, the lack of a winning mentality from Ralph is not acceptable…

Ralph is not motivating and nor are his bosses in the club. There is in fact a losing mentality and Ralph is on board with the culture and uses it regularly to hide his own inadequacy and promote a total lack of expectation.

• Like 3

You wonder whether Ralph already knows Selles is the man in waiting. His post match press conference almost seemed to be him saying, I disagree with the tactics being pushed in me by the staff - this is what happens! 

Edited by ozzmeister

12 minutes ago, captainchris said:

It is not only the tactics, non existent coaching and player selections it is Ralph’s lack of positive language. All we get now is ‘it will be tough’ Tottenham, West Ham or whoever are superior to us, the lack of a winning mentality from Ralph is not acceptable…

Ralph is not motivating and nor are his bosses in the club. There is in fact a losing mentality and Ralph is on board with the culture and uses it regularly to hide his own inadequacy and promote a total lack of expectation.

This is a good point. He does always seem very downbeat.

25 minutes ago, ozzmeister said:

You wonder whether Ralph already knows Selles is the man in waiting. His post match press conference almost seemed to be him saying, I disagree with the tactics being pushed in me by the staff - this is what happens! 

That’s the opinion I got about playing 3 at the back, it was almost like Ralph was saying “there, “we” think it’s the answer but it’s not”.

Mara being binned off after after 45 minutes and thrown under the bus seemed like a reaction to a player he didn’t want.

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

16 points from 18 games would be just under 34 points over the season and (in all likelihood) relegation. Definitely not good enough.

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

No offence but…

If he’d been here for just 1 match you would be right. If last season was not horrific you would be right. If he didn’t have a long record of terribly poor patches with humiliating defeats you would be right.

He’s being judged based on an ongoing run of form since the early spring. The fact he wasn’t able to turn it around last season is why people are understandably skeptical he will do it this year. 

We have spent £60m true, but are still a very poor squad and first team with no sign that the glaring deficiencies will be sorted by September. 

if he has 6 matches to save his job I don’t get it. Let’s say he gets a few decent results and enough points to meet the arbitrary points total the board have potentially set, that doesn’t make him a good manager or the right manager. We’ve seen he can have decent short term runs, they precede the car crash runs. 

Worst bit of all is I’m enough of a mug to being going to the Leicester and likely Wolves games!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Yeah, it's mental. Folk actually pondering if Ralph is "deliberating choosing crazy lineups to get sacked", 'cos that's that's totally what a normal person in the real world would actually do. Especially when they work in one of the most globally popular sporting leagues in the entire world and their every move is publicly scrutinised. Definitely checks out.

• Like 1

We have bought some young players who I'm sure have great potential to become much better and be a good fit but I don't think Ralph has the ability and skills to make this happen, Che Adams was great in the championship as was Adam Armstrong since they have been with us there standard of play seems to gone downhill.

• Like 1

My first Saints manager was Lawrie Mac. Since then, I really liked Glenn Hoddle and I could never get in to the Poch lovefest, but we have taken on more than our fair share of clowns. It concerns me that Ralph seems to be making increasingly erratic decisions (Stuart Armstrong as target man!) and it was not clever for him to say he'd be retiring in two years because that seemed to start our nosedive, but the odds are, we lose Ralph and we'll get a muppet. Playing 5 at the back against what could be the team to challenge Man City for the title seemed ok in principle and when we went one up, the decision almost looked inspired, so I wouldn't judge him on last Saturday's game. And forget the end of last season (though the atmosphere at the Amex when we equalised was my memory from last season). Once we knew we were safe, you could see the team had nothing to play for. 

I'll be at Leicester and got my tickets for Wolves today. After these and Leeds we'll get a better idea where we're heading this year. Like Spyinthesky said, give it 6 games. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

16 points from 18 games would be just under 34 points over the season and (in all likelihood) relegation. Definitely not good enough.

If we look at the whole season though we got 40 points. The concern of course is that we got the bulk of those points earlier in the season. Something changed early in March. That’s when he started experimenting again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Mara being binned off after after 45 minutes and thrown under the bus seemed like a reaction to a player he didn’t want.

The strange thing is that he mentioned changing the forwards at half time in a conference leading up to Spurs, because of the 5 sub rule. 

It’s as though he’d made his mind up to do this before a ball had been kicked in anger. 

All ain’t well behind the scenes, which isn’t helped by the fact he’s already laid out his retirement plans. It’s hard to give a shit when you’ve got millions in the bank and the sweet sound of doing f-all is ringing in your ears. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl