Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

28 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Purely hypothetical.

For the fanboys too.

If Ernesto Valverde came out to the press and declared his undying love for saints and wanted to manage us, who would take it?

I would.

Yeah him aswell.

66.9% win percentage.

I know it would never happen obviously.

But yeah.

59 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Purely hypothetical.

For the fanboys too.

If Nuno Sanchez came out to the press and declared his undying love for saints and wanted to manage us, who would take it?

I would.

He was a goalkeeper so wouldn't be able to coach the outfield players.

In all seriousness, I'd still give Ralph the start of next season but if it wasn't going well then probably I'd take him. It's not a slam dunk though because although he's done pretty well at Wolves, he's had resources behind him and the rest of his career looks fairly hit and miss

I would like to understand what Ralph’s play list is all about. What I see cannot be what he really wants surely. 

unable to defend against direct ball, unable to defend against crosses, all of which gets worse as the game goes on 

starts with high energy closing down and this declines as game goes on 

loss of midfield ideas as game goes on and more and more of recycling and tippy tippy around

loss of width and any balls behind opposition defence as games go on, with more and more tapping around in front of an opposition defensive shape. 

waiting for the opposition long ball counterattack sucker punch and goalkeeper error. 

I don’t believe this style suits us and also seems that individuals are coached in their role, but I don’t see defensive team, midfield team and attack team showing enough connection. 

Ralph then comes out and bemoans bad luck or individual mistakes but generally looks satisfied things are on plan. Although started to complain about the lack of depth of squad. 

for me we should play tactics to the team we have and develop and build around this not have a set of tactics and relentlessly continue with this and then say we haven’t got the squad to play this or the money to build in what is needed 

Please sack Ralph he is truly clueless and unable to recognise he is out of his depth. Shaking his head when the inevitable described above plays out 

Edited by saint michael
Latest performance
  • Like 2

McCarthy, Bednarek and Redmond have been abysmally out of form for months yet he persists in selecting them like he has some form of OCD. I’m not Fraser’s greatest fan but to be benched for someone so obviously shorn of confidence and not enjoying the game must hurt. Ralph has viable alternatives to all 3, it’s not like the injury crisis Feb to April. 

Dreading next season without major changes to ownership, dug out and playing staff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

McCarthy, Bednarek and Redmond have been abysmally out of form for months yet he persists in selecting them like he has some form of OCD. I’m not Fraser’s greatest fan but to be benched for someone so obviously shorn of confidence and not enjoying the game must hurt. Ralph has viable alternatives to all 3, it’s not like the injury crisis Feb to April. 

Dreading next season without major changes to ownership, dug out and playing staff.

All three have been dross, but so have Stephens, Forster, Djenepo, Walcott, ect. there isn't good answers unfortunately. Redmond at wingback against it's first competent opponent is being shown to be woefully inadequate.

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Spot on. I’ve lost patience with Ralph now. 

Please get this man out of the club..we are totally awful,, playing the same way that doesn’t work all season, keeps selecting brainless Redmond over decent alternatives like tella.

its just not working at all I think that’s clear to see now. We are crying out for a differant strategy that works.. nothing we are doing is working can’t defend, create little chances especially second half time to try something differant 

Ralph needs backing, from both the board and the fans. Squad is too weak and has too many holes. Across a season 15th is a reasonable position for our squad quality, that quality needs to improve. We won't improve by sacking a manager who is doing fine given the resources.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the last couple of season I’ve wanted Thomas Frank as the gaffer. 
my only reason I don’t want Brentford promoted is in the hope we could get him in. 
Ralph really has to go. 
Its just been embarrassing for the majority whilst he’s been in charge. 
I see no positives in him at all…all levels at the club are suffering.  

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Ralph needs backing, from both the board and the fans. Squad is too weak and has too many holes. Across a season 15th is a reasonable position for our squad quality, that quality needs to improve. We won't improve by sacking a manager who is doing fine given the resources.

This is decent comedy 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

You have to work with the tools that you’re given. 4222 hasn’t worked since November, he hasn’t changed it. 

It’s clear that Bednerak is struggling, yet we continue to allow KWP (one of our best players this season) bomb on leaving JB isolated out wide and getting in behind us far too often. 

If he had anything about him tactically, he’d have changed it up, made us more solid and stopped the rot. it might not have worked, but it would at least be trying something. That’s not the players fault, that’s the managers fault. 

3 minutes ago, saint lard said:

For the last couple of season I’ve wanted Thomas Frank as the gaffer. 
my only reason I don’t want Brentford promoted is in the hope we could get him in. 
Ralph really has to go. 
Its just been embarrassing for the majority whilst he’s been in charge. 
I see no positives in him at all…all levels at the club are suffering.  

Why ?

if Brentford don't make it two years running then doesn't that blight his reputation ?

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Why ?

if Brentford don't make it two years running then doesn't that blight his reputation ?

Lard's usual position is win the Championship or you're a disgrace so I am unsure why he is getting himself so wet over a proven bottler.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SKD said:

You have to work with the tools that you’re given. 4222 hasn’t worked since November, he hasn’t changed it. 

It’s clear that Bednerak is struggling, yet we continue to allow KWP (one of our best players this season) bomb on leaving JB isolated out wide and getting in behind us far too often. 

If he had anything about him tactically, he’d have changed it up, made us more solid and stopped the rot. it might not have worked, but it would at least be trying something. That’s not the players fault, that’s the managers fault. 

We've been playing with a 352 for our past few games, so that isn't true... We've also played a 442 diamond and a 343 in recent weeks.

• Like 1

Leaning quite heavily towards the get rid camp now.... I’d be happy with any of Potter, Gerrard or Lampard, or I’d even be happy to get Adkins back albeit he’s only recently taken a job.  Whether they’re feasible I dunno

It not the poor form but the lack of character shown by the team that bothers me.  They just give up far too easily and if Ralph was capable of addressing that he would have done so by now

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Why ?

Just now, CB Fry said:

Lard's usual position is win the Championship or you're a disgrace so I am unsure why he is getting himself so wet over a proven bottler.

I used to live in isleworth just up the road and go and see them….Brentford were a nothing club. 
he came in and transformed it….and the fact that Brentford have been so close to the premier league is quite staggering.

he’s nurtured players and brought them on leaps and bounds….so much so they have been sought after. 
And I think he would be a realistic, candidate for us. 
unlike so many others mentioned. 

On 09/05/2021 at 13:07, kyle04 said:

Despite my negative feeling towards the club, I say give RH 3 months next season then re-assess. Hopefully we should have fresher players, Romeau back, who I think we have missed a great deal, and others like Tella, Salisu, Diallo improving. RH clearly has a vision of how football should be played and in all likelihood won't change this. Clearly this group of players haven't been able to deliver this for much of the season, as many simply aren't good enough or physically spent. Thats not the fault of the manager, although where he's failed has been his inability to change tack when things aren't going well. Too few substitutions far too late in games is a recurring theme. I dont know how many goals we've scored in the last 10 minutes of games but it can't be many.

We simply can't ship out 6/8 players and spend 100M rebuilding the squad. We have very little talent that would sell well, and a potless owner. Of the players we have I think only Verstergard and Armstrong have improved, and Tella, KWP look promising. The rest have been average (JWP, Bednarek, Bertrand,Ings, both keepers) or poor (Redmond, Walcott). Can't make up my mind about Adams but at the moment dosen't quite look good enough.

very well summarized IMO

4 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I used to live in isleworth just up the road and go and see them….Brentford were a nothing club. 
he came in and transformed it….and the fact that Brentford have been so close to the premier league is quite staggering.

he’s nurtured players and brought them on leaps and bounds….so much so they have been sought after. 

Should have won the league last year and he blew it. 

Should have won the league this year and he blew it.

That's right isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We can blame Ralph as long as we want but ultimately it is down to the strategy of the club which is failing

The Academy is not producing top class players the last one was JWP and that seems ages ago and the ones coming through like Sims and Hesketh are weak physically and are of League 1 standard.

Buying young players from outside the PL is all well and good if they turn out to be talented but most do not like Gunn and Hoedt.

We need to buy players who have had experience of the PL like Bertrand Romeau KWP or the Scottish League like Davis Wanama VVD Armstrong and to some extent Forster before his serious injury 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, saint lard said:

He's unrealistic for us because he'd cost money to release him from his Brentford contract. We only go for managers out of contract as we have no money.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

He's unrealistic for us because he'd cost money to release him from his Brentford contract. We only go for managers out of contract as we have no money.

I have to laugh at this comment, only because it is tragicaly true 😞

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Should have won the league last year and he blew it. 

Should have won the league this year and he blew it.

That's right isn't it?

Absolutely no comparison to what Adkins had at his disposal to what Frank had or has now at Brentford. 
different era….different make up of the opposition. 
you just can’t compare our squad and the league at the time to what Brentford have had to do to get this far two seasons running. 
but you carry on with your agenda. 
However I’ll informed and misguided it is. 
Adkins is still very lucky to have us on his CV. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

Don't want to lose Ralph unless the club can find an improvement, which seems unlikely as good managers are in very high demand at present

Plenty of managers available. To suggest there are none that would be an improvement on the second half of that season is a ludicrous argument. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SadButTrue said:

How about Benitez?  I think he is out of contract. And he worked with Mike Ashley so he knows how to get points without money

A lot is made of Ashley not providing Newcastle funds, but they spent £25m on Wilson, previous season they'd spent £40m on Jollieton. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Absolutely no comparison to what Adkins had at his disposal to what Frank had or has now at Brentford. 
different era….different make up of the opposition. 
you just can’t compare our squad and the league at the time to what Brentford have had to do to get this far two seasons running. 
but you carry on with your agenda. 
However I’ll informed and misguided it is. 
Adkins is still very lucky to have us on his CV. 

If Thomas Frank was our manager you would despise him for whatever failures you decided he had. 

There's only one around here with an agenda sweetheart, and its not me.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Interesting.

Not having a go, others have already made the comparison with Adkins, but :

I thought they were a club on the up under Dean Smith although he has capitalised and built on it.

Can't deny their success in bringing players through, but isn't it easier in the Championship than it is to throw players in to the EPL ? 

Is Frank involved in the scouting and recruitment ? As I've previously asked in response to your Thomas Frank posts, if we're looking at Brentford shouldn't we be looking to attract their head of recruitment and some of their scouts rather than, (or in addition to) their manager ?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SKD said:

Plenty of managers available. To suggest there are none that would be an improvement on the second half of that season is a ludicrous argument. 

I'd say there are more duds out there than you think too though...

I'm not willing to trust our board to get the next appointment right either

Hassenhuttl is actually a pretty s**t manager.  Dropping Stephens (a leader on the pitch) for the awful Bednarek, Redmond being untouchable, Minamino being utter s***e yet we want him back, a very poor Walcott being handed a 2 year contract.  We seem to be making awful decisions consistently and he is at the heart of them.

Why did Tella, one bright spot this season, not start?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

At this stage I wouldn’t give one shit if he went.

I agree. Going into the new season with a new manager is basically the same risk as going into the new season with Ralph again.

All I can foresee at the moment is that come November Ralph will be sacked, leaving us pretty much in the same position he inherited us in three years previously.

• Like 2

For this to succeed it has to go one of two ways:

1. Ralph is backed and we sign players of a required quality and type to meet his ideological view on how he wants us to play.

2. Ralph finds a pragmatic bone in his body and adapts his ideology to fit what he has to work with, which is clearly a lower half quality of player and a bottom three transfer budget.

What is happening right now is neither and its very very messy.

Saints can't afford to sack him either.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It's such a nonsense though. The manager is the most important person at the club. Invest in a quality manager and they'll get better value out of cheaper players

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl