The BBC Thread

Guided Missile

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No matter who is in power. That is why the telly-tax should be scrapped and this nonsense will go away and you only have to worry about your job if you're either over 50 or question the covid narrative - which of course the BBC played its part for the government

Defunding it makes it no better.

What do you think will replace it? A fair and balanced broadcaster? You think some rich philanthropist with good intentions and honour will create a media company, news channel etc. ? Of course not you'll just get another version of the Daily Mail or Sky/Fox or CNN, something owned by a rich person or corporation which pushes agenda's for their owners.  The Daily Mail doesn't giving a flying f about the people of this country, it literally pushes an agenda that suits its rich owners, which means keep tories in power at all costs. 

Just because the BBC has been infested by Tories is not a reason to get rid of it, it's a reason to fix and rescue it.

The whole point of proper journalism is to question things, discuss things and expose the truth. Challenge lies, expose false narratives, tell the stories and news that are important to people of the country. That is what the BBC should be doing, it should be free to criticise the government all it likes as long as it is fair criticism and especially if its objectively based. 

Literally the BBC has a statue of George Orwell outside its HQ that says "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"

• Like 8

1 minute ago, tajjuk said:

What do you think will replace it? A fair and balanced broadcaster? You think some rich philanthropist with good intentions and honour will create a media company, news channel etc. ? Of course not you'll just get another version of the Daily Mail or Sky/Fox or CNN, something owned by a rich person or corporation which pushes agenda's for their owners.  The Daily Mail doesn't giving a flying f about the people of this country, it literally pushes an agenda that suits its rich owners, which means keep tories in power at all costs. 

Just because the BBC has been infested by Tories is not a reason to get rid of it, it's a reason to fix and rescue it.

The whole point of proper journalism is to question things, discuss things and expose the truth. Challenge lies, expose false narratives, tell the stories and news that are important to people of the country. That is what the BBC should be doing, it should be free to criticise the government all it likes as long as it is fair criticism and especially if its objectively based. 

Literally the BBC has a statue of George Orwell outside its HQ that says "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"

Defunding it makes it no better

It is shite as it is, and has been for a very long time.

What do you think will replace it?

Could not care less. What ever the public want to pay for?

Just because the BBC has been infested by Tories

Just wait till labour get in.  Google our very own Gavyn Davies....

The whole point of proper journalism is to question things

Err..where was this proper journalism from the BBC during the constant lockdown saga, when real restrictions were imposed on the entire country, effects of which have probably destroyed a generation. Where was their 'proper journalism' then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Speak out/question the Tory Government - power to free speech 

Speak out/question Covid - luntatic, get off the airwaves

42 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No matter who is in power. That is why the telly-tax should be scrapped and this nonsense will go away and you only have to worry about your job if you're either over 50 or question the covid narrative - which of course the BBC played its part for the government

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Err..where was this proper journalism from the BBC during the constant lockdown saga, when real restrictions were imposed on the entire country, effects of which have probably destroyed a generation. Where was their 'proper journalism' then?

I can't put my finger on it, but I am sure there is a theme in here somewhere; a narrative that you feel is of some importance and that you are trying to put over to a wider audience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

it should be free to criticise the government all it likes as long as it is fair criticism and especially if its objectively based. 

What you really mean is “if I agree with the criticism “

As the bloke who claims this is the most right wing Tory Government in generations, you’re hardly the best person to judge what is and isnt fair & objective. 

You rant on about The Daily Mail but at least you’re not forced to pay for it and you don’t get chucked in jail if you refuse to. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Genuine question but did you get your "proper" journalism over lockdown from anywhere within the MSM?  BBC seems to be a target for you because of it's funding model and it's fair enough to question that but as far as I recall there wasn't a whole lot of variation in reporting during the pandemic so it wouldn't seem to be particularly relevant to single the BBC out in that context.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, trousers said:

Always good to see the Saintsweb intelligentsia and Jeremy Clarkson singing from the same hymn sheet... ;)

Screenshot_20230311-133207.png

It isn’t the subject but the principle. Why this thread is talking about asylum seekers I do not know. BBC a being weak as fuck and bowing to the snowflakes is the issue

9 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Genuine question but did you get your "proper" journalism over lockdown from anywhere within the MSM?  BBC seems to be a target for you because of it's funding model and it's fair enough to question that but as far as I recall there wasn't a whole lot of variation in reporting during the pandemic so it wouldn't seem to be particularly relevant to single the BBC out in that context.

He is quite a troubled chap

44 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

“Some” oppressed and vulnerable. 

44 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

“Some” oppressed and vulnerable. 

Some all or a few, he is speaking for folks who are in afar worse place than you or I have ever been

Edited by moonraker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

There wasn't a varied response, sadly. But this is about the BBC and the person I was responding to claims the BBC delivers (or should be) "proper journalism".  Just pointing out that when real shit was happening, and we actually lost freedoms, their so-called proper journalism (not my words) was rather absent.

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

The BBC is shit scared of upsetting the Tory party. Lineker is just the latest example.

The unsuitability of Boris Johnson's dad's knighthood was raised on Thursday's QT. It was claimed that he was a wife beater having in the past broken his wife's nose in an argument. Presumably to keep her BBC job  Fiona Bruce then pointed out that  "but he had only once" beaten his wife so badly that she needed hospital treatment!!0

Like Trump, the Tories want to silence media opposition. Unlike Trump with CNN it looks as if they are winning with the BBC.

That was indeed a bizarre statement. Even more so because that statement that it only happened once came from friends and is heresay. If the BBC were truly impartial Bruce should have also said that his ex wife claimed that he hit her all the time for a balanced response. For what is supposed to be a “Lefty” riddled organisation the BBC seem to be terrified of upsetting the Tory government, maybe because the Tories have filled many of the senior management positions with their own supporters? Whatever Government is in power, they are not above scrutiny and criticism from anyone, least of all the publicly owned broadcasting company. Still, the usual Tory tactic of deflection had worked again in that we are all talking about a presenter of a sports programme and not a draconian, inhumane policy brought in to appease the less savoury elements of our society.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

There wasn't a varied response, sadly. But this is about the BBC and the person I was responding to claims the BBC delivers (or should be) "proper journalism".  Just pointing out that when real shit was happening, and we actually lost freedoms, their so-called proper journalism (not my words) was rather absent.

Ok, so as far as I can recall the bbc covered lockdowns quite a bit and talked about the pros and cons. I think most people were aware of them and pretty sure we even had a thread on here talking about them. Not sure what else you wanted the BBC to do? Or is it more the that they didn’t overtly criticise them? Surely it’s  biased rather than proper journalism that you want?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

That was indeed a bizarre statement. Even more so because that statement that it only happened once came from friends and is heresay. If the BBC were truly impartial Bruce should have also said that his ex wife claimed that he hit her all the time for a balanced response. For what is supposed to be a “Lefty” riddled organisation the BBC seem to be terrified of upsetting the Tory government, maybe because the Tories have filled many of the senior management positions with their own supporters? Whatever Government is in power, they are not above scrutiny and criticism from anyone, least of all the publicly owned broadcasting company. Still, the usual Tory tactic of deflection had worked again in that we are all talking about a presenter of a sports programme and not a draconian, inhumane policy brought in to appease the less savoury elements of our society.

God knows why Duckie this sad... But I have long given up on trying to understand what Duckie thinks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Speak out/question the Tory Government - power to free speech 

Speak out/question Covid - luntatic, get off the airwaves

You're comparing apples with kebabs mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Like yours ;) 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What you really mean is “if I agree with the criticism “

As the bloke who claims this is the most right wing Tory Government in generations, you’re hardly the best person to judge what is and isnt fair & objective. 

You rant on about The Daily Mail but at least you’re not forced to pay for it and you don’t get chucked in jail if you refuse to. 

I don't claim it's an undeniable fact. You can literally ask ex-tories about it, people like Rory Stewart, Michael Heseltine, John Major, say they do not recognise this tory party and are appalled by it. You also only have to look at their policies and rhetoric, it's about as far right as you can get whilst still being in a democracy. 

Also I don't need to judge what is objective, facts literally do that for themselves. Calling Boris Johnson a liar is not a political opinion, it's an objective fact. Saying the language used by Braverman and this government about refugees and asylum seekers is not dissimilar to the language used in early 1930s Germany again is a fact, anyone with knowledge of history knows. In fact it's also sadly not too dissimilar to language used in THIS country in the 1930s about Jewish refugees, which was sadly similar, and has been pointed our by several historians. That reluctance and language in this country likely cost thousands of Jewish people their lives, for example over 10k Jewish children were taken into this country fleeing the Nazis, yet their parents were denied entry and many thousands of them ended up dying in the Holocaust. IIRC the Daily Mail was publishing articles at this time questioning Jewish refugees from Germany being taken in by Britain so at least we know they have been true to form for the last 80 years. 

I rant about the Daily Mail because it's a disgusting biased rag that has no journalistic standards and should have been shut down years ago for its continued lying, we should have proper regulation of the press which shows transparency of these organisations, who funds them, who they advocate for etc. and higher standards to clear. Hopefully the multiple law suits going on against it will kill it off. 

49 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Fiona Bruce is an ambassador for REFUGE, a charity that helps victims of domestic abuse.

Oops !

But I think this sadly shows the situation at the BBC, I seriously doubt Fiona Bruce thinks 'but it only happened once' is a good defence for domestic abuse, I also seriously doubt she thinks Boris' dad should get anywhere near the honours list, but such is the culture now at the BBC they have to defend the indefensible and toe the party line to keep their jobs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I know you like to type and type and type but honestly maybe, any chance of bullet points?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I know you like to type and type and type but honestly maybe, any chance of bullet points?

• Defunding it makes it no better. What do you think will replace it? A fair and balanced broadcaster?

You think some rich philanthropist with good intentions and honour will create a media company, news channel etc. ?

• Of course not you'll just get another version of the Daily Mail or Sky/Fox or CNN, something owned by a rich person or corporation which pushes agenda's for their owners.

• The Daily Mail doesn't giving a flying f about the people of this country, it literally pushes an agenda that suits its rich owners, which means keep tories in power at all costs. 

• Just because the BBC has been infested by Tories is not a reason to get rid of it, it's a reason to fix and rescue it.

• The whole point of proper journalism is to question things, discuss things and expose the truth. Challenge lies, expose false narratives, tell the stories and news that are important to people of the country.

• That is what the BBC should be doing, it should be free to criticise the government all it likes as long as it is fair criticism and especially if its objectively based. 

• Literally the BBC has a statue of George Orwell outside its HQ that says "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"

More digestible? Eagerly awaiting your reasoned riposte.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, iansums said:

You appear to have an odd understanding of the phrase ‘right wing’

Daily Mail - Tory
Mail on Sunday - Tory
Daily Express - Tory
Sunday Express - Tory
Daily Telegraph - Tory
Sunday Telegraph - Tory
Times - Tory
Sunday Times - Tory
Evening Standard - Tory
Sun - Tory
BBC Chairman - Tory
BBC Director General - Tory

You want to talk about impartiality in our media?

I have a perfect understanding of the  right wing. Today’s Tory party is far more right wing than any time in its history. Thatcher wouldn’t have dreamt of half the things this govt and their shadowy backers get up to.

One day the scales will drop from your eyes and you’ll wake up from the Stockholm syndrome you’ve succumbed to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Today’s Tory party is far more right wing than any time in its history.

yes price of energy cap and this pm delivered furlough as chancellor, also the highest wages since second world war and made the state bigger, that’s very right wing! you seem to have a weird understanding of what right wing is.

this bill just reinforces deportation levels to what they were in previous years such as in 2004 when labour deported 21,000, you wouldn’t liken them to 1930s germany, would you?

* I realise this isn’t about the BBC 

Edited by SotonianWill

I have just seen Sunak’s contribution to the Lineker debacle from yesterday. Having sent out his henchmen and women all week to whip up a media frenzy, added and abetted by his right wing media friends, he finally say a few nice things about our Gary then washes his hands of the whole affair by saying it is a matter for the BBC! Why then wheel out the odious Braverman to comment? She even managed to drag in the Holocaust for good measure just to make sure the Jewish contingent were stirred up despite the fact that he only spoke about the language used and said nothing about the Holocaust in his Tweet. If nothing else his point has been proven. This Government helped by the right wing media are playing exactly the same mind games and are trying to manipulate the public in the same way. The sad thing is that we have learned nothing from history and those of a certain mindset, a number who post here frequently, swallow the red meat thrown to them gladly and carry on the job the likes the Daily Mail do through social media outlets. Thank goodness the vast majority seem to have their number and it is good to see the push back against those who continue to propagate the right wing bullshit on here and elsewhere. I think we all know whose names will appear on the posts following this one.

The current position appears to be that if anyone associated with the BBC says something supportive of the Government, that falls under the “impartiality” umbrella and they embrace it. If anyone associated with the BBC says something critical of the Government, that falls outside of the “impartiality” umbrella and they work to shut it down. Sound familiar?

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thought MOTD worked better in that format. Whack in the theme tune, commentators, the after match interviews and some better mixing with music and graphics. No need for presenters etc stating the obvious like Forster being at fault for the Forest goal etc.

Edited by skintsaint

I disagree with the view that MOTD works better without analysis or commentators. I want to hear what experienced ex pros think about a game and welcome their analysis of certain players' contributions. I want to see again some of the key moments of a match -especially if they occurred at the other end of the pitch. Was the Var decision correct? What did the manager think of his team's performance? etc etc. Last night's format didn't work in my opinion. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I disagree with the view that MOTD works better without analysis or commentators. I want to hear what experienced ex pros think about a game and welcome their analysis of certain players' contributions. I want to see again some of the key moments of a match -especially if they occurred at the other end of the pitch. Was the Var decision correct? What did the manager think of his team's performance? etc etc. Last night's format didn't work in my opinion. 

ITV's EFL highlights opened with "We have a friendly presenter, knowledgeable commentators, and witty pundits. Where else will you find that ?"

If I was a BBC presenter & against the current BBC stance on Lineker I would be tempted to tweet something positive about the Tories ie ‘I’m fully supportive of the  Conservative Governments proposal to cut childcare costs help people back  into work, not sure why Labour didn’t do this?’ Would be interesting how the BBC would react. In principle they would have to tell you to step down. 

Edited by wadesmith

23 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I have just seen Sunak’s contribution to the Lineker debacle from yesterday. Having sent out his henchmen and women all week to whip up a media frenzy, added and abetted by his right wing media friends, he finally say a few nice things about our Gary then washes his hands of the whole affair by saying it is a matter for the BBC! Why then wheel out the odious Braverman to comment? She even managed to drag in the Holocaust for good measure just to make sure the Jewish contingent were stirred up despite the fact that he only spoke about the language used and said nothing about the Holocaust in his Tweet. If nothing else his point has been proven. This Government helped by the right wing media are playing exactly the same mind games and are trying to manipulate the public in the same way. The sad thing is that we have learned nothing from history and those of a certain mindset, a number who post here frequently, swallow the red meat thrown to them gladly and carry on the job the likes the Daily Mail do through social media outlets. Thank goodness the vast majority seem to have their number and it is good to see the push back against those who continue to propagate the right wing bullshit on here and elsewhere. I think we all know whose names will appear on the posts following this one.

The current position appears to be that if anyone associated with the BBC says something supportive of the Government, that falls under the “impartiality” umbrella and they embrace it. If anyone associated with the BBC says something critical of the Government, that falls outside of the “impartiality” umbrella and they work to shut it down. Sound familiar?

I think Sunak's response shows several things, which probably also shows he's a bit cleverer than the other idiots in that government as he's seen the bigger picture here.

Firstly clearly he's not in control of the government/party, he couldn't muzzle the far right lunatics and media from spouting their mouth off and blowing this up like idiots.

Secondly they are supposed to be the party for free speech and being against 'cancel culture'. Yet here they are trying to silence Gary Lineker and getting him cancelled, whilst also showing clear government involvement into the BBC. So any right wing voter who holds these things as important will be put off by how many of them have acted this week. The BBC is held in high regard I reckon by your traditional Tory voter and as will free speech standards, so that alone will hurt them in traditional tory voting areas, where they are already struggling and where those people give no shit about immigration. Loads of 'safe' traditional Tory seats are already looking wobbly, this will only hurt more. 

Thirdly its completely overshadowed multiple of his announcements, no is talking about his 'Stop the boats' really and his 'deal' with Macron barely got noticed by anyone.

Fourthly I think they know Lineker is popular and well liked (hence his near 9 million followers on twitter, way more that read any of the tory rags), plus popular with football fans, many of whom who will probably be in key voting areas, so him speaking the truth to them is bad enough (which is of course why the tory controlled media hates him, they can't control him and he has a bigger platform than them), but making a massive thing about this just spreads his tweet and the truth to more and more people/ 

And finally it has completely exposed the Tory rot and double standards within the BBC, so their careful planting of Tory stooges throughout the organisation is getting more and more exposed. Plus the common myth of the 'lefty BBC' is being debunked as well. It might lead to resignations/sacking at the BBC so they could lose their influence and at the very least it harms BBC credibility whenever they talk about anything praising the government going forward, anything they now report on about the government will come with a lot of suspicion from the public. 

So none of it really helps Sunak or the Tory government going forward. 

3 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

The oppressed and vulnerable are the British people who have to put up with illegal immigration. 

65% of all asylum applications from those crossing on boats in 2021 were approved, so the British people are not 'putting up with illegal immigration'.

Plus the majority that got declined were from Albania, where we have an agreement on deportations of failed Albanian asylum seekers to very quickly send them back to Albania, but the agreement is not being enforced and isn't happening. So yet another example of this government's continued failings.

The vulnerable British people in this country are being oppressed by their own government, and they are trying to get everyone to hate and fear other oppressed and vulnerable people to deflect from the issues they are causing, and the sad thing is idiots like you believe it. 

Tory 101, screw the country over, country should be angry with the tories, but the tories gets everyone to hate everyone else, particularly blaming minorities for the problems. Divide and rule. 

If people want actual facts around the channel crossing and immigration https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Refugee-Council-Channel-Crossings-briefing-March-2023.pdf

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to The BBC Thread
1 minute ago, the saint in winchester said:

Question : Lineker can't say a word against the government, and yet weekly Have I Got News For You rips the Government to shreds. That's a BBC programme, which I love. How does HIGNFY continue without government censure?

Government censure :mcinnes:

Lineker fell foul of the guidelines he agreed to as part of his contract - guidelines I believe that have now been rewritten (again!!).

HIGNFY is a political / satirical program designed to take the piss out of current affairs.

Where does government censure come in to it?

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Lineker fell foul of the guidelines he agreed to as part of his contract - guidelines I believe that have now been rewritten (again!!).

LOL no he didn't, which is why initially they did nothing to him at all. All they said is they would have a word with him. Multiple people literally working within news and politics have been allowed to tweet political views, Alan Sugar depicted Jeremy Corbyn as a Nazi, Andrew Neil ran BBC news politics but at the same time was the chairman of the very right wing magazine the Spectator and again tweeted political stuff all the time. There are countless other examples, Gary Lineker did nothing wrong, broken no guidelines and that is shown by the BBC's initial reaction. 

They then bowed to government pressure as every far right Tory idiot MP piled in to call for him to be sacked so they flip flopped their decision. 

They then u-turned it again when it became clear they were very much in the wrong, all their double standards got called out and all the Tory influence in senior positions was pointed out. 

The Guardian has been handed a load of whatsapp messages and e-mails that show the Tory government has been pressurising the BBC for the last two years, they asked the BBC not to call the lockdown, a lockdown, when pretty much every other media outlet did. They asked the BBC not to comment on the affair Johnson had when London mayor with the american woman who then got government contracts. They also asked the BBC to be more critical of Labour during covid when they were proposing different plans to the government, which the BBC dutifully did. Seems like ordinary people within the BBC are fighting back against the Tory rot that has infested it. Multiple ex-employees have talked about the Tory influence in the management and the fear they spread around employees if they didn't toe the line of not criticising the government. These would be people like Robbie Gibb who literally worked for the conservative government before joining the BBC, or Tim Davie who was a Tory council candidate, or the chair who is a Tory donor and helped arranged a loan for Boris Johnson. 

Oh and hilariously all of those Tory MPs who tried to get him sacked for speaking the truth, now are shouting the BBC should lose it licence fee, because they backed down. So they couldn't cancel Lineker for speaking the truth and they now want to cancel the whole BBC because of it, many of them currently have shows on GBeebies and talktv, literal rival media companies that would clearly benefit from the end of the BBC. These people have no shame. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 2