• Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Dusic said:

Would hope the club are looking to extend Salisu's contract about now to preserve his value.

If not then this summer would be his high point value wise before he approaches 18mths to go.

Good point. Need to be extending these players contracts before they start getting ideas of moving on. Right now he isn't getting into his international side (how!?) And isn't even being talked about as an option for the top sides - extend his contract for the full five years.

17 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Good point. Need to be extending these players contracts before they start getting ideas of moving on. Right now he isn't getting into his international side (how!?) And isn't even being talked about as an option for the top sides - extend his contract for the full five years.

Didn’t he turn down the chance to play for his country, rather than miss out on selection?

Always love the idea that the club can step in and extend someone's contract before the dopey player and his dopey agent even realise they could get more money elsewhere.

Quick club, get them to sign it now before they work out how transfers work.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Always love the idea that the club can step in and extend someone's contract before the dopey player and his dopey agent even realise they could get more money elsewhere.

Quick club, get them to sign it now before they work out how transfers work.

It's more the fact that as there is currently no interest or even discussion of interest, they're more likely to accept a guaranteed premier league contract rather than risk running it down and having to accept less elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

It's more the fact that as there is currently no interest or even discussion of interest, they're more likely to accept a guaranteed premier league contract rather than risk running it down and having to accept less elsewhere.

Do you want him to sign an extension because he's rubbish and wouldn't get another contract at a top level club, or because you think he's good and would get a contract at another top level club?

If it's the latter, maybe the player and the agent have similar thoughts?

It still boils down to the idea that we can tie players down at a point when they and their agents have absolutely no concept of what their value might be.

I'm sure the club (under either ownership) were/are well aware of what we can do for Salisu. We're probably better equipped now than we were two weeks ago.

Edited by CB Fry

9 hours ago, RobM said:

Didn’t he turn down the chance to play for his country, rather than miss out on selection?

Yes at least twice i believe.  Once before he joined us and again for the ACON

Edited by Turkish

I'd imagine talks have already started in the background. He's got all the tools to be top class, he's still a bit of a rough diamond in certain aspects though - for that reason I don't think top, top clubs will be sniffing 'just' yet. 

Probably in his best interests to sign a new 5 year deal with us, carry on playing regular and progressing for another 18 months and then we will probably start to see the big interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the first big match I can remember Salisu getting big TV/media attention.

Aa I said before, from a club perspective if we want to maximise his value we should be looking to add a year or two to his contract with a pay rise (obviously his decision).

On 07/02/2021 at 10:01, The Cat said:

I'm going to predict that he's going to end being a brilliant player for us and people will be dragging up quotes from this thread and laughing at them in the future.

About time I requoted this piece of incredible foresight from the most knowledgeable poster on the forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's progressing really, really well. From the first moment he stepped on the pitch for us he just knew where to be, he has this uncanny knack of sensing danger which isn't coachable. It's just part of his makeup and that's priceless. Add that to his unique physicality and pace and he has the potential to be a proper royals Royce of a defender.

He's still rough around the edges in some parts of his game, but they're getting smoothed out as the months go on.

He seems quite a switched on lad given that he turned down Ghana to focus on his club career first, so I'd like to think that he'd do the sensible thing and sign on here for the foreseeable future. We won't keep him forever if he continues his development, but it's important that we protect our asset as he could be worth VVD money to us in a few years.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He's progressing really, really well. From the first moment he stepped on the pitch for us he just knew where to be, he has this uncanny knack of sensing danger which isn't coachable. It's just part of his makeup and that's priceless. Add that to his unique physicality and pace and he has the potential to be a proper royals Royce of a defender.

He's still rough around the edges in some parts of his game, but they're getting smoothed out as the months go on.

He seems quite a switched on lad given that he turned down Ghana to focus on his club career first, so I'd like to think that he'd do the sensible thing and sign on here for the foreseeable future. We won't keep him forever if he continues his development, but it's important that we protect our asset as he could be worth VVD money to us in a few years.

Can't argue with any of this (Royals Royce a minor blip). Allied to top class usage of proper punditry cliches, I would say its in and around the best posts on this thread.

Edited by Dusic

24 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Superb performance.

And when he takes the ball full on in his face, and carries on defending until the ball is safely out of play. 97% of players would have been on the deck waiting for some wet sponge and kind word treatment.

This lad is immense!

He's learned very quickly that this is a tough league where you are going to take some hard knocks but you have to stand up and be counted. in his early games he tended to be a bit soft and he notably got bullied by Calvert-Lewin. Now he's a beast of a defender with bags of skill. Let's enjoy him because he'll already be on the radar of the big boys but at least we''l turn a good profit on him.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

He's learned very quickly that this is a tough league where you are going to take some hard knocks but you have to stand up and be counted. in his early games he tended to be a bit soft and he notably got bullied by Calvert-Lewin. Now he's a beast of a defender with bags of skill. Let's enjoy him because he'll already be on the radar of the big boys but at least we''l turn a good profit on him.

Such a shame that his eventual sale is inevitable. Youd have thought us Saints fans would be used to losing our best players by now! His quality is there for all to see. Let's just appreciate him whilst he is here.

52 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Such a shame that his eventual sale is inevitable. Youd have thought us Saints fans would be used to losing our best players by now! His quality is there for all to see. Let's just appreciate him whilst he is here.

This is the thing to remember with our operating model. When we see great talent developing and shining, just appreciate the fact we got to see it and hope we’ll repeat it again in the future.

So long as players move on respectfully (no dumb photos on a private jet, or interviews with foreign media about where your head may be) I’ll wish them well and move on to the next emerging talent. 

• Like 1

He has a great habit of being in the right place at the right time. I remember people waxing lyrical about performances by by some centre backs over the years where they’ve stopped goals by desperate last ditch blocks or tackles. that was a very different type of defensive display where the ball was like a magnet to him every time it got in the danger zone, calm and composed rather than diving in desperately which shows he’s a great reader of the game. Still a bit raw with an error in him like the sending off against spurs but quite a player we have here

• Like 3

Sale of very good players is almost inevitable, even a giant club like Dortmund with 80k fans turning up every week can't hold onto to their best players.

Key though is to avoid the problem we caused for ourselves in 2015/16-17 by selling too many in a short period. We need to follow a more Leicester like model who pretty much let one a season go and then re-invest that money into 2-3 new quality players. 

7 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Sale of very good players is almost inevitable, even a giant club like Dortmund with 80k fans turning up every week can't hold onto to their best players.

Key though is to avoid the problem we caused for ourselves in 2015/16-17 by selling too many in a short period. We need to follow a more Leicester like model who pretty much let one a season go and then re-invest that money into 2-3 new quality players. 

Do Vestergard and Bertrand fall into the latter category😁?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Agree and also use the money from the sale wisely and don't waste it on rubbish as we've done in the past.

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Garth Crooks leaves Salisu out of his team of the week.

His legacy as one of the worst pundits in history is secure.

The worst bit is the reason he left him out. He left him out of team of the week, because he wasn't impressed with him in different weeks! He doesn't even understand how team of the week works!

A lot was made of the performance by Mohammed Salisu against Manchester City but I've seen this lad play before and he can do something brilliant one minute and then something utterly reckless the next. I tend to prefer defenders who are consistent, steady and generally reliable.

Edited by Matthew Le God

9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Garth Crooks leaves Salisu out of his team of the week.

His legacy as one of the worst pundits in history is secure.

Obviously hasn't grasped the concept of "team of the week" if he's leaving him out for stuff he did in other weeks :facepalm:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Their approach is incredibly slap dash, it's embarrassing really. They should have been planning throughout December.

I really hope there is a massive meltdown this time next week when they haven't actually signed anyone else.

I wonder how many players they are enquiring about per position....

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu - Official: Signs for Monaco