• Hat trick
    • Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Best player today but think people are getting a little ahead of themselves, talk of him going right to the top and being better than VVD is extremely premature. 

He’s 21, so that’s makes him young, hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve. 

• Haha 1

Been impressed so far, but there are definite mistakes in him, one today that almost had Chelsea clean through. Just need to make sure we don’t lord then criticise him - looks like he could be a top player but has a long way to go and we need to support the dips and errors he’ll have, but also not build him up to be VVD so soon.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Yes I know that. I’m just referring to what was said on here.

People on the forum were not saying Vestergaard was left footed, just that he was working well as the left sided centre back as it was allowing him to ping balls out to Walker-Peters easier with his right foot with the angle he had playing LCB. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

People on the forum were not saying Vestergaard was left footed, just that he was working well as the left sided centre back as it was allowing him to ping balls out to Walker-Peters easier with his right foot with the angle he had playing LCB. 

Well you’re wrong. I just looked back at the very quote I was referring to, and the chap was very forthright about Vest and Salisu both being left footed and it wouldn’t work. I remembered it because it seemed a bit of an odd thing to say.  Move on please.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I read on here last week that Salisu and Vestergaard can’t play together as they’re both left footed, and that never works. So today was a nice surprise.

This comes down the the ridiculous suggestion when Adkins was here as he liked a left and right footed centre back, since then it’s become gospel. This ignores the fact that some of the best centre back pairs of all time were the same footed. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

This comes down the the ridiculous suggestion when Adkins was here as he liked a left and right footed centre back, since then it’s become gospel. This ignores the fact that some of the best centre back pairs of all time were the same footed. 

I’m sure it’s preferable, it seems like a nice balance. Fact is that Vestergard is about as two footed as you’re going to get for a CB.

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

With circa only 1 in 10 people being left handed/footed there are going to be significantly more CB partnerships where both are right footed. That doesn't mean having one of each doesn't bring benefits as a pairing. It is easier for a left footed CB to cover his left back than a right footed centre back, and vice versa on the right side when covering the right back.

• Like 2

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

With circa only 1 in 10 people being left handed/footed there are going to be significantly more CB partnerships where both are right footed. That doesn't mean having one of each doesn't bring benefits as a pairing. It is easier for a left footed CB to cover his left back than a right footed centre back, and vice versa on the right side when covering the right back.

You do know I’m not disputing this don’t you?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

100% of all central defenders that have ever played in the Premier League have both a left AND a right foot so I am not sure what kind of a cockamamy point you are trying to make pal.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Best player today but think people are getting a little ahead of themselves, talk of him going right to the top and being better than VVD is extremely premature. 

Who said that? Some over excitable 14 year olds on twitter? 

5 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

My joint MotM today along with Salisu.

Agreed sadoldgit.    He still runs like Pinnochio, and even looked goood when he dropped back to defend

and I liked his forward play when skipping between 5 Chelsea players. 

Salisu looked to fit in very well at the back and improved as the game went on. Impressive. 

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Literally a few posts above mine.

Can't see anything about him going on to be being better than Van Dijk? He looks good, he's had 2 games and done very well in a new team in a different league at a very young age. 

Along with everyone else, I thought he was class yesterday. The biggest problem I had with him against Chelsea was he disrupted Vest's positioning, who is used to being the furthest left CB - but I expect that was compounded by playing in a back 3.

It will be very interesting to see who starts at the back when KWP is back fit. I think we'd all like Salisu and Vestergaard together but Bednarek is solid and Ralph's favourite.

16 hours ago, The Cat said:

Can't see anything about him going on to be being better than Van Dijk? He looks good, he's had 2 games and done very well in a new team in a different league at a very young age. 

The top post on this page, "he will eclipse VVD".

He's made a promising start for sure but some people do go ott.

9 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

The top post on this page, "he will eclipse VVD".

He's made a promising start for sure but some people do go ott.

Lard is one of the weirdest posters on here. Lose a game and the whole club is in turmoil, sack everyone, nuke the stadium. 

Then someone plays well and they are better than anyone who has ever put on a pair of boots.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, simo said:

3 at the back ? 

With a fit KWP I reckon that's the way we may go. 

McCarthy 

Bednarek Vestergaard Salisu 

KWP JWP Diallo Bertrand 

Armstrong Redmond 

Ings

It gets the wing backs high up the pitch, keeps the usual 2 in the middle and 2 number 10' who can get closer to Ings as the wing backs give more width. 

22 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

So how will we fit him in? Bednarek & Vestergaard are not going to give up their places easily and probably won't be happy with rotation.

My gut feeling is, they'll all play a part this season, and then Vestergaard will probably be sold in the summer.  Had a great season this year, and his contract expires summer '23.

Bednarek & Salisu the future first choice pairing, until in a few seasons we sell Salisu and bring in someone else. Stephens still playing the odd game when we get injuries, comes in, has a couple of good games, and then makes howler after howler as per his whole career.

Edited by Saint Garrett

19 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

My gut feeling is, they'll all play a part this season, and then Vestergaard will probably be sold in the summer.  Had a great season this year, and his contract expires summer '23.

Bednarek & Salisu the future first choice pairing, until in a few seasons we sell Salisu and bring in someone else. Stephens still playing the odd game when we get injuries, comes in, has a couple of good games, and then makes howler after howler as per his whole career.

I can’t see us selling Vestergaard this summer. He is currently one of the main stays of the team so why ship him out early?

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I can’t see us selling Vestergaard this summer. He is currently one of the main stays of the team so why ship him out early?

High value, might be able to get £30-40M for him, highest his stock has been since he's been at the club, and if he's not going to sign a new contract, it's probably a good time to move him on.  We also have Bednarek / Salisu who could form a partnership for years to come.

I'm not saying it's what I want us to do, but It wouldn't surprise me, given the lack of saleable assets in the squad, and the fact we have an owner that has no money.

The thing I like about him (from what I've seen) is that he has the brilliant attribute where he can take a poor touch, but then effortlessly make up for it with a turn of pace, or by bullying anyone near him off the ball.  It's that Rolls Royce analogy, where he appears to be able to get through most of a game in middle gear but step it up when needed.  I saw it with Van Dijk in first game against West Brom, so there are definitely similarities there.

So in summary, bags of potential and I feel this guy can be whatever he wants to be in the game.

• Like 1

Personally I cannot see us playing Bednarek and Salisu long term together. We play with one passing CB and one "firefighter". Without the passing CB we cannot transition quickly into attack and rebuild from deep when attacks break down. Our passing CB is essential so I think we will always have one of Stephens or Vestergaard in our side who can pick out long balls.

I also don't see us moving to a back 3. Our team has a massive issue with creativity with our xG being 15th in the league below Fulham and Sheffield United, sacrificing one of our creative 10's to bring in an extra CB when we already are joint 7th for clean sheets seems very unwise. Adding in to that I think KWP's main strengths are defensively and playing the ball out from deep and not as an attacking outlet I don't think he would make a good wingback, same with Bertrand who is also not prolific going forward.

Long term imo Salisu Vestergaard will be our pairing. I like Bednarek and think he is a great option to have from the bench but Salisu has a much higher ceiling for me. 

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

From henry Winter in The Times today:

Southampton signed a star on rise in Salisu
5/ Mohammed Salisu.
 The Southampton centre back has come a long way from playing for Kumasi Barcelona Babies, leaving Ghana for Valladolid and waiting to make his mark at St Mary’s after Southampton paid his £10 million buyout clause. Salisu was outstanding on his first Premier League start against an in-form Chelsea, not committing any fouls, making three clean tackles and six clearances. And he is still only 21.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Love to see how many people rating Salisu higher than Bednarek after 2 and a bit matches 🙄

Bednarek is a great last ditch defender. Most of his memorable work (aside from a couple of bizarrely good goals) is in the form of throwing himself in to block shots/make goal-line clearances. Ideally, you'd have a defence that doesn't give up those kind of chances in the first place, which is why he's a good candidate for upgrading.

Then you have the question of his speed of thought and quality of distribution when we're building from the back. He doesn't suit the style we want to play, whereas Salisu is clearly very confident popping the ball about in the 10-20 yard range.

It's not difficult to see which one of them has the better raw attributes to play in this team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

The thing I like about him (from what I've seen) is that he has the brilliant attribute where he can take a poor touch, but then effortlessly make up for it with a turn of pace, or by bullying anyone near him off the ball.  It's that Rolls Royce analogy, where he appears to be able to get through most of a game in middle gear but step it up when needed.  I saw it with Van Dijk in first game against West Brom, so there are definitely similarities there.

So in summary, bags of potential and I feel this guy can be whatever he wants to be in the game.

A little circumspection might be in order bearing in mind Salisu has only 1 FA Cup and 1 Premier League appearance to his name. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

A little circumspection might be in order bearing in mind Salisu has only 1 FA Cup and 1 Premier League appearance to his name. 

Totally agree, but merely pointing out that my opinion on Van Dijk was largely formed after just one game. Sometimes you just see a player and instantly know there’s something there. I really hope the lad realises the clear potential he has.

2 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Totally agree, but merely pointing out that my opinion on Van Dijk was largely formed after just one game. Sometimes you just see a player and instantly know there’s something there. I really hope the lad realises the clear potential he has.

I used to be in the art business and occasionally would see a work of genius by an undiscovered artist. You ask to see more of his/her work and then you realise the "masterpiece" you saw was a fluke. Hopefully that's not the case with Salisu. Like you, I have a good first (and second) impression of him.

2 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

I used to be in the art business and occasionally would see a work of genius by an undiscovered artist. You ask to see more of his/her work and then you realise the "masterpiece" you saw was a fluke. Hopefully that's not the case with Salisu. Like you, I have a good first (and second) impression of him.

I don't think you can fluke the movement, composure, eye for a pass, reading of the game, athleticism and robustness that we've seen from Salisu already.   He and Diallo strike me as the best bits of business Saints have done for a long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, austsaint said:

I don't think you can fluke the movement, composure, eye for a pass, reading of the game, athleticism and robustness that we've seen from Salisu already.   He and Diallo strike me as the best bits of business Saints have done for a long time.

Apparently you can fluke an entire season: https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-michael-edwards-transfer-traore-19875338

Reckon Wolves got greedy and bluffed with £100m but nobody called their bluff.

What I don't get is despite his fitness etc. issues over several months why he was trust into the first team without any build up in the B team? Surely a risk for player and club. He's done well so far and good on him for that, but why the deviation from the norm?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu - Official: Signs for Monaco