• Own goal
    • Hat trick
    • Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

It’s mental - and does suggest an educated gamble by our recruitment team. im also confused why some posters have been so adamant that he is going to be the next big thing / future of our club having never seen him play for us ! 

For those Stephens haters out there - can I point out that he is playing, injury free, keeping clean sheets, and if he wasn’t we’d have been without a cb (even if he hasn’t had one good season in la liga and once marked Messi etc)

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 18:04, Killers Knee said:

They can put strength & conditioning facilities in his house with minimal cost/effort, I would guess his issue isn't muscle related but aerobic.

Maybe its because he can't eat together with the other players. Ralph said that was a problem because of Covid. The other things cryo-chamber, sauna, even swimming pool could be covered elsewhere or at his home, but eating with the other players is not simple to replicate.

😏

I still have a theory that there was some sort of unannounced suspension for the first 3 months (perhaps something appearing in the medical that shouldn't have?). Would explain his training but not playing even for the B team. Suspension ends - straight onto bench as he has impressed but don't want him jumping the queue ahead of Bednarek and Stephens (who at the time had something like 3 clean sheets in a row) and has now picked up an unfortunate training injury that means he can't be involved again. I expect it's just a matter of time until we get to see him playing and see what he's made of but all noise seems to suggest Saints see him as a big part of the future still. Only a theory however.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not sure how you've worked that out via probability. 

X= The number of transfers for 10-20million pound players since Mitchell left that have become successful (Criteria for success being sold for more money than purchased, playing regularly and having positive impact, not being put out on loan)

Y=  Total number of players in the10-20 million pound range since Mitchell left.

X/Y=p

I think you will find that "p" has not been so good recently, so if we have not seen something yet, we are probably not going to. 

If we apply Bayes theorem this will give us our prior probability as the reference class (portion of successful transfers) then we combine the posterior probability (anything that Salisu has done, which is currently nothing to indicate either way) therefore we can deduce that it will more likely be a non productive transfer. And anything Salisu is capable of does not figure in to the prior probability, but if it did you would have to remove it from the posterior probability thereby making no difference.

Edited by Mystic Force
adding additional information

3 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

X= The number of transfers for 10-20million pound players since Mitchell left that have become successful (Criteria for success being sold for more money than purchased, playing regularly and having positive impact, not being put out on loan)

Y=  Total number of players in the10-20 million pound range since Mitchell left.

X/Y=p

I think you will find that "p" has not been so good recently, so if we have not seen something yet, we are probably not going to. 

Completely flawed as none of those players is Salisu. Probability cannot be worked out for the event.

Edited by Matthew Le God

We really do have some bedwetters on this forum don't we? Something I was reminded of reading the match thread on Tuesday.

Why don't people want to believe what Ralph has told us? When has he ever lied?

Salisu joined with a long term muscle problem. We took our time to ease him up to speed. There wasn't any rush as Vestergard was having a blinding start to the season, and we had Stephens on the bench. Salisu got up to full fitness. Jannik got injured. Ralph chose Jack to start alongside Bednarek. Clean sheets in first 2 games together. Salisu had been on the bench. Salisu then picked up an injury in training. He is now out injured. As it happens we haven't needed him yet. No big deal. Have some patience. Change the sheets. Get some Tenna pants!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Minsk said:

We really do have some bedwetters on this forum don't we? Something I was reminded of reading the match thread on Tuesday.

Salisu joined with a long term muscle problem. We took our time to ease him up to speed. There wasn't any rush as Vestergard was having a blinding start to the season, and we had Stephens on the bench. Salisu got up to full fitness. Jannik got injured. Ralph chose Jack to start alongside Bednarek. Clean sheets in first 2 games together. Salisu had been on the bench. Salisu then picked up an injury in training. He is now out injured. As it happens we haven't needed him yet. No big deal. Have some patience. Change the sheets. Get some Tenna pants!

You must have missed that a) there was a press embargo re Salisu and b) LeG has made it clear that he joined with injuries but has something else personal going on. We don't know what it is, and as it's personal, neither should we. 

13 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Salisu joined with a long term muscle problem.

At no point has this been mentioned,  it is more than that and not an injury as such due to the media lockdown over it , yes he wasn't fit when he turned up but that's not the main issue

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

You've never seen him play. Yet you've written him off! 🙄

The not playing part mentioned in your statement is the crux of the problem. Things may work out ok,but as it strands ,at this present time,this looks like yet another poor buy.

I know a player's privacy must be respected but surely it is now time for the club to be a little more open as to the problem/situation. I worry that the lad will become an object of derision before stepping onto the pitch. He commanded a big fee which is one reason we are now unable to afford strengthening, so the fans can be forgiven for requesting a reasonable explanation which would also help dampen all the negative talk.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I know a player's privacy must be respected but surely it is now time for the club to be a little more open as to the problem/situation. I worry that the lad will become an object of derision before stepping onto the pitch. He commanded a big fee which is one reason we are now unable to afford strengthening, so the fans can be forgiven for requesting a reasonable explanation which would also help dampen all the negative talk.

Nonsense.

It won't help you to know more. It won't help him to know that you know more. 

You knowing more doesn't get him playing any sooner. 

None of us are entitled to know more about someone else's life.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

So when i added the clarification including Bayesian probability, which I left out originally as not the sort of thing that the average football fan is likely to care about you did not see how in the calculation the only probability to worry about is the reference class as the individual player has done nothing at this point to change the posterior probability, and if you were going to assign a probability, the fact that he has not played for an extended time would ascribe a negative effect, I do not see how not currently being available is a positive asset. If Southampton track record over the last few seasons for signing these types of players was better the probability would be higher. I am not saying that he will not dazzle at some point in the future, but chances are not looking great. 

In relation to the reference class, should the bounds have been lower ie cheaper? not sure that would help the probability, we are not including youths brought in from other clubs who might or might not be able to develop. And on balance you would expect the ability of players at the top of the range (20 million) to be significantly better than at the bottom (10 million) thereby helping to lift the prior probability of the reference class. Was there a time boundary issue, the change of personnel seems a significant change suitable for defining when the period under investigation would start. Or do we need to work on the definition of successful? I think selling for more than we payed, would be good, going out on loan to a club in a lower division or country with a lower reputation squad is bad. Remaining at the club but never playing would be bad. Being a regular starter is good. 

So please explain why this probability model is not generally applicable?

5 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Oh yeah - if he steps on the pitch im gonna be like booooooooooo and sing (to the tune of Waterloo (ABBA)

"Salisu - Couldnt play if he wanted to

Salisu - ill demand a  reasonable explanation which would also help dampen all the negative talk... for ever mooooore" 

7 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

There is no reason at all why the club cannot be open about the current injury situation, which has nothing to do (apparently) with the 'personal' situation. But they won't because it is not how the club work. Can you imagine if this had happened to a player at Man U or Liverpool? No way would it have remained private. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

There is no reason at all why the club cannot be open about the current injury situation, which has nothing to do (apparently) with the 'personal' situation. But they won't because it is not how the club work. Can you imagine if this had happened to a player at Man U or Liverpool? No way would it have remained private. 

Would you be happy for your employer/doctor surgery to make your medical record public?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

May I ask, how is the a fact? I hope he is, but to state it as being clear is a bit weird!

From what I've seen of him, I believe he's good enough. Indeed, I think he's an excellent player. If your opinion, having seen him play, is different then that's cool. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Would you be happy for your employer/doctor surgery to make your medical record public?

Indeed. Why fans believe that they have a right to know sensitive information about a footy player I have no idea. If we all know, it won't alter the fact that he can't play. More importantly, it's hard to see how sensitive information being put into the public domain will help the lad. 

These idiots need to get over themselves. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

What the feck are you on about statto. Injuries and reports on them are bread and butter for football clubs. No one said anything about the 'personal matter'. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

So when i added the clarification including Bayesian probability, which I left out originally as not the sort of thing that the average football fan is likely to care about you did not see how in the calculation the only probability to worry about is the reference class as the individual player has done nothing at this point to change the posterior probability, and if you were going to assign a probability, the fact that he has not played for an extended time would ascribe a negative effect, I do not see how not currently being available is a positive asset. If Southampton track record over the last few seasons for signing these types of players was better the probability would be higher. I am not saying that he will not dazzle at some point in the future, but chances are not looking great. 

In relation to the reference class, should the bounds have been lower ie cheaper? not sure that would help the probability, we are not including youths brought in from other clubs who might or might not be able to develop. And on balance you would expect the ability of players at the top of the range (20 million) to be significantly better than at the bottom (10 million) thereby helping to lift the prior probability of the reference class. Was there a time boundary issue, the change of personnel seems a significant change suitable for defining when the period under investigation would start. Or do we need to work on the definition of successful? I think selling for more than we payed, would be good, going out on loan to a club in a lower division or country with a lower reputation squad is bad. Remaining at the club but never playing would be bad. Being a regular starter is good. 

So please explain why this probability model is not generally applicable?

Interesting am gonna have to read about that, read this book about similar subject - https://www.amazon.com/Drunkards-Walk-Randomness-Rules-Lives/dp/0307275175

1 hour ago, egg said:

From what I've seen of him, I believe he's good enough. Indeed, I think he's an excellent player. If your opinion, having seen him play, is different then that's cool. 

Fair enough. Where and how much how have you seen of him? Be interesting to see what he is about.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Indeed. Why fans believe that they have a right to know sensitive information about a footy player I have no idea. If we all know, it won't alter the fact that he can't play. More importantly, it's hard to see how sensitive information being put into the public domain will help the lad. 

These idiots need to get over themselves. 

Probably cos the fans pay huge ticket prices to watch players play .. they invest in them so it stands to reason if your paying big bucks to watch a team  every week you want some info on how bad the players injury or in this case mental state if he’s fit in body and mind to play or not ..

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu - Official: Signs for Monaco