• Hat trick
    • Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

2 minutes ago, Professor said:

Have seen this word used before, that Salisu has, or has had, "issues".  It's in the remarks attributed to Verstergaard and previously, I believe Hassenhuttl said the same thing.  But what are "issues"?  The term is so wide as to be meaningless.  Just what is the problem?  Salisu's signing was publicised as the first major recruitment of the last transfer window but we have yet to see him play.  Does anyone know if he's turned out for the B team? 

Given that Salisu's signing represents a significant proportion of the club's transfer budget, it's understandable that fans want to know more.  

But equally understandable why the club are not releasing the specifics? 

1 hour ago, Professor said:

Have seen this word used before, that Salisu has, or has had, "issues".  It's in the remarks attributed to Verstergaard and previously, I believe Hassenhuttl said the same thing.  But what are "issues"?  The term is so wide as to be meaningless.  Just what is the problem?  Salisu's signing was publicised as the first major recruitment of the last transfer window but we have yet to see him play.  Does anyone know if he's turned out for the B team? 

Given that Salisu's signing represents a significant proportion of the club's transfer budget, it's understandable that fans want to know more.  

I'm not with you on this. It's not hard to understand that the issues are personal, and it's reasonable to assume that they are of a sensitive nature. We have absolutely no right to know any more, and it won't help the fella for it be put into the public domain.

There are too many insensitive fans putting their perceived need for information above the actual needs of a human being. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, egg said:

I'm not with you on this. It's not hard to understand that the issues are personal, and it's reasonable to assume that they are of a sensitive nature. We have absolutely no right to know any more, and it won't help the fella for it be put into the public domain.

There are too many insensitive fans putting their perceived need for information above the actual needs of a human being. 

100%

• Like 2

4 hours ago, egg said:

Absolutely spot on

Of course fans have a right to be concerned about the non-appearance of Salisu bearing in mind how much he cost and how much his arrival was hyped by the media and the club. By refusing to address these concerns the club will only heighten speculation and mistrust. 

The club are in a good place at the moment with fans beginning to believe that the right people with the right ideas are in charge of matters both on and off the pitch and that we have entered a new era of openness and transparency especially in football matters.

It is not a good idea to put this new sense of togetherness and trust under strain through carelessness in communication. 

Edited by Charlie Wayman

50 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Of course fans have a right to be concerned about the non-appearance of Salisu bearing in mind how much he cost and how much his arrival was hyped by the media and the club. By refusing to address these concerns the club will only heighten speculation and mistrust. 

The club are in a good place at the moment with fans beginning to believe that the right people with the right ideas are in charge of matters both on and off the pitch and that we have entered a new era of openness and transparency especially in football matters.

It is not a good idea to put this new sense of togetherness and trust under strain through carelessness in communication. 

It's quite easy to join the dots laid out by the club and see that the issue is likely a sensitive one. 

It says more about you than the cub that you feel a "right" to know something that most can see is private, and that should stay private. 

Ask yourself 2 simple questions:

1. Will it bring Salisu any benefit for the public to know details about his issue? 

2. Will it bring the public any benefit to know any details about his issue? 

No to both is the only reasonable answer imo. 

Edited by egg

On 11/11/2020 at 19:33, Matthew Le God said:

Not really very surprising he can speak English. Salisu is Ghanaian and English is the official national language of Ghana.

2 hours ago, austsaint said:

I believe 70% of Ghanaian's speak Twi as their first language.    

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Mr.Wrong.gif

Interviews he did during his time in Spain were in fluent English 🙄

4 hours ago, egg said:

It says more about you than the cub that you feel a "right" to know something that most can see is private, and that should stay private. 

That's not at all what I said. Personally I couldn't care less about these things. I was making a more general point that many fans on this thread are concerned about this particular situation. That doesn't mean they want to know intimate details of any personal issues the player may or may not have.

For the club to stay silent in these circumstances only adds to the unease. If they've bought yet another bum steer then call it by its name.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

That's not at all what I said. Personally I couldn't care less about these things. I was making a more general point that many fans on this thread are concerned about this particular situation. That doesn't mean they want to know intimate details of any personal issues the player may or may not have.

For the club to stay silent in these circumstances only adds to the unease. If they've bought yet another bum steer then call it by its name.

You can only express your opinion, and the reaction to my earlier post suggests that the majority view is not what you think it is.

The lad clearly has/had something going on. My stance is to respect that, wish him well and wait patiently for him to pull on the red and white 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeG said:

Agree with a few posts from above. This thread should be locked until further news. Fans will never know the truth and neither should they. I can assure everybody that although he had a muscular injury and a slight niggle when we signed him - He is not a crock. In fact, he has the potential to be an extremely good defender. We are doing well, so no need to rush him.

Means its unlikely to be a mental illness issue, considering all the work being done to destigmatize depression in sport. You're not exactly filling us with confidence that he's going to play a long-term part at the club by alluding to a personal misfortune so terrible that it cannot and should not ever become public knowledge.

• Confused 1

On 14/11/2020 at 10:59, Professor said:

At the end of the day, his personal life is none of our business.

• Like 4

We have been told that there are issues regarding the lad. We are told that he is extremely shy and spreading gossip about him whether close to the mark or not will only hurt him. If Jan says he has shown he has talent and a great physique then we just have to wait until the club feels he is ready.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

There's no article on the link, but we know he arrived wit a muscle injury and slight niggle, LeG posted above that:

"he had a muscular injury and a slight niggle when we signed him" 

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

They took the page down..... Hmmm mysterious

There's been a press embargo, hence it may be a sensitive matter. Whatever the issue, it sounds like he's getting there though, and that he's got huge potential. He'll play when he's ready. 

The 21-year-old Ghanaian defender is still yet for feature for Hasenhuttl's side due to a combination of injury concerns and "other issues" not specified by his manager.

Arriving as a £10.9m summer signing, Salisu was injured upon making his move from Real Valladolid and is still looking to work his way back to full fitness.

I'm sure he will prove to be a good player worth the wait, it is a little worrying though as we don't normally sign players that can't make an impact straight away.... Three months is quite a while to be injured and have other issues 

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I totally trust Ralph and the club, off the field and on the field things are going in the right direction.

Therefore, on Salisu, I have no concerns. He'll be ready when he's ready.

Whilst I agree it just all seems a bit strange. He was going to be ready after the first international break was the first we heard now, six weeks on, it seems we are no closer to him even getting an U23's run out. Fortunately we aren't looking towards him as the rock to shore up the defence at present.

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

we don't normally sign players that can't make an impact straight away....

I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. Ralph's signings to date have been Danso, Djenepo, Adams, KWP, Diallo, Walcott & Salisu.

I suppose Danso made a bit of an impact but for all the wrong reasons.

Djenepo got his wonder goal against Sheffield Untied, but he wasn't really a regular starter. I know that he has had injury problems which didn't help, but I'm not sure that Ralph expected him to slot in as a permanent starter straight away.

KWP came on loan in January (injured, of course) but didn't get a start until Burnley at home. He got hooked in the 2nd half when we were chasing the game and thereafter played 2nd fiddle to Valery and even JWP at times. Even when we restarted after the lockdown Valery got the nod for the Norwich & Arsenal games. It wasn't until Valery was hooked at half time against Arsenal that KWP came in and made the spot his own, which obviously has continued this season.

Diallo clearly isn't going to displace JWP or Romeu in the starting line up any time soon but hopefully will be a useful sub option/fill in for injury or suspension.

Adams is slightly different, as if I remember correctly, he was a regular starter at the beginning of last season but got relegated to the bench as his confidence disappeared. Since he got his second chance he has blossomed into an excellent player.

Walcott, with his experience, is most likely to make an immediate impact, especially with the injury to Ings.

I seem to remember when we signed Salisu that someone said he was 'one for the future'. I can't remember whether that was Ralph or one of the ITKers on here. Clearly it is disappointing not to have seen him even on the bench so far, but our decent start has given the club more breathing space. I guess we just have to hope that we don't experience any injuries/suspensions/major drop in form with the current CBs until he is ready.

I wonder whether the first time we see him might be the 3rd round FA Cup game in early January.

I really don’t think there’s a reason to be concerned. The player is hardly of advanced years, has had injuries to overcome and is learning the system Ralph wants. He is training so is in the first stages of his integration, but it must be remembered that there are good players playing a successful team game in both the first team and B team, so it’s not a shoe-in for the lad...he has to demonstrate he’s better than the present incumbents. Time is on his side it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2020 at 01:27, Saint Fan CaM said:

I really don’t think there’s a reason to be concerned. The player is hardly of advanced years, has had injuries to overcome and is learning the system Ralph wants. He is training so is in the first stages of his integration, but it must be remembered that there are good players playing a successful team game in both the first team and B team, so it’s not a shoe-in for the lad...he has to demonstrate he’s better than the present incumbents. Time is on his side it seems.

you would think though that a few run outs, even from the bench for the B team will help him get fitter and upto speed a touch quicker, while adapting the way we play in a less intense arena.

Edited by skintsaint

So we buy a player, in a position we need, for a not unreasonable amount of money, we see nothing of him for 6 months, the club disclose very little and some think there’s nothing to worry about? Bung a tenner on him never playing a first team game.....you never know 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

So we buy a player, in a position we need, for a not unreasonable amount of money, we see nothing of him for 6 months, the club disclose very little and some think there’s nothing to worry about? Bung a tenner on him never playing a first team game.....you never know 

There’s nothing for us fans to worry about, no. What’s going on within the squad is for the club to be concerned about. 

we’re doing fine without him atm. Vestergarrd has been brilliant. 

Don’t know why the Mods haven’t just closed the thread, it’s clear most of the normal and reasonable of us on here understand there is an underlying issue which is best we don’t speculate on here about. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Bung a tenner on him never playing a first team game.....you never know 

I'm beginning to feel that this may be quite a safe bet.

If things don't improve soon, either we see him in the B's / U23's in the new year or the club stop brushing this signing under the carpet, I see him being loaned out in the summer (he's potentially worth to much for a mutually cancelled contract, and I doubt his wages would warrant it either).

22 hours ago, SKD said:

There’s nothing for us fans to worry about, no. What’s going on within the squad is for the club to be concerned about. 

we’re doing fine without him atm. Vestergarrd has been brilliant. 

Don’t know why the Mods haven’t just closed the thread, it’s clear most of the normal and reasonable of us on here understand there is an underlying issue which is best we don’t speculate on here about. 

Vestegaard has been decent. Not brilliant. Did you see him against Utd?

11 minutes ago, Shance said:

Vestergaards performances need to be put into a bit of context.

He has improved in certain aspects, that's undeniable, but he looks better because we have been playing on the front foot - he is then able to get on the ball and play, rather than chase behind him. His reading of the game has been better though as is his decision making.

However....as soon as any real quality or pressure is put onto our centre backs, they buckle. So, like you...I wouldn't say he's been brilliant, decent, yes,…but we still buckle when we are on the back foot for any prolonged period of time.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2020 at 12:09, Mr X said:

Which leads me to believe it's more a personal issue about settling in at the club than a serious injury 

Interestingly his Wiki career entry opens with: "Born in Accra, Salisu spent a year with his local youth club Kumasi Barcelona Babies before joining West African Football Academy in 2013. He left the latter for personal reasons in 2015, and then remained over a year without a club."

2 hours ago, Shance said:

Comparing what we’ve seen from him in previous seasons he has has been.

His calmness and ability on the ball has a massive part to play in why we’re doing so well. He’s certainly no Van Dijk, but he’s been one of most consistent performers this season. 1 bad game (half) against a world class striker in Cavani I can forgive. Anyhow, Bertrand for me, was far worse on Sunday and at fault for the first and the rest of the squad (amd Ralph) didn’t cover themselves in glory.  

regardless, we’re doing fine this season. Overachieving for the squad we have. Even if Salisu was fit, healthy and ready to play, I don’t think Ralph would pick him due to vestergaards form. 

Kind of going off on a tangent from the original point of speculation on Salisu. It doesn’t take a burp surgeon to work out (from the posts on here) that there’s an underlying issue that isn’t football related. 

6 minutes ago, SKD said:

His calmness and ability on the ball has a massive part to play in why we’re doing so well. He’s certainly no Van Dijk, but he’s been one of most consistent performers this season. 1 bad game (half) against a world class striker in Cavani I can forgive. Anyhow, Bertrand for me, was far worse on Sunday and at fault for the first and the rest of the squad (amd Ralph) didn’t cover themselves in glory.  

regardless, we’re doing fine this season. Overachieving for the squad we have. Even if Salisu was fit, healthy and ready to play, I don’t think Ralph would pick him due to vestergaards form. 

Kind of going off on a tangent from the original point of speculation on Salisu. It doesn’t take a burp surgeon to work out (from the posts on here) that there’s an underlying issue that isn’t football related. 

Seems very bizarre that we spend a decent amount of money on a player, then state it is no problem that said player can't even make the B team.

1 hour ago, SKD said:

My question is whether we knew about it before hand or its  landed on our plate after signing? Im sure I remember a comment shortly after signing suggesting we had signed a crock and as typical saints may need to buy another CB. Was that LeG? cant be asked to sift back through to be honest.  

One thing i am surprised about is how they have managed to keep it out of the media, usually someone blabs and rumours fly about  but their seems to be none

Yeah someone did say we may need to buy another cb, relating to couple of posts up i don't think it will be Vesterguard replaced I think it will be Salisu and Vest as our 2 cbs. Also agree Bertrand was far worse than Vest, Vest should've got out for there goal but Mccarthy should have screamed at him to get out, also good analysis showing Bednareks part in the winning header, he was in perfect position but then turned his head to look at Rashford, that was Cavani's trigger for his run, when Bednarek looked back Cavani was already into his stride 

Edited by danjosaint

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Seems very bizarre that we spend a decent amount of money on a player, then state it is no problem that said player can't even make the B team.

It’s not bizarre at all really. Clearly there is something wrong, all of the evidence suggests it’s not football related. 

I don’t think anyone has said it’s no problem. It’s not an issue for fans to worry about or probe / speculate on. It’s for the player, club and manager to worry about. Not fans. 

he’s a young lad with limited experience so would take time to bed in anyway. We’re doing fine without him. Let’s hope he hits the ground running when needed 👍🏻

3 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Heaven forbid a few blokes might talk about an injured footballer on a thread in a football forum. 

Because he’s not injured. It’s plainly obvious he has something going on in his personal life.

Chatting about issues is one thing, gossiping about someone’s personal injuries is another. You do get the distinction I take it?

Edited by Chewy
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Because he’s not injured. It’s plainly obvious he has something going on in his personal life.

Chatting about issues is one thing, gossiping about someone’s personal injuries is another. You do get the distinction I take it?

Either that or we have realised he just ain't upto it...... you remember Vegard Forren?

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Shouldn't the clubs comms be a bit better on this though?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu - Official: Signs for Monaco