• Hat trick
    • Injured in the warm up
    • Subbed off after 20 minutes, Dia style
    • Sent off
    • Another own goal
    • False teeth fall out screaming for a handball against Patricio
    • Meteorite hits Shropshire. Match abandoned

4 hours ago, Red said:

What I don't get is despite his fitness etc. issues over several months why he was trust into the first team without any build up in the B team? Surely a risk for player and club. He's done well so far and good on him for that, but why the deviation from the norm?

I can only presume on what he has done in training, plus he got his audition in the cup and it's not like this is a guy from the academy with no senior football, he was playing regularly last year putting in performances against people like Messi. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I can only presume on what he has done in training, plus he got his audition in the cup and it's not like this is a guy from the academy with no senior football, he was playing regularly last year putting in performances against people like Messi. 

I think it was also a case of if you're fit, you play otherwise known as we're down to the bare bones.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quality quality, best player on the pitch save maybe KWP. Starts every game now for me, rest Bednarek. Get him a 1 year contract extension at least, he will tear it up next season imo and iirc his contract is very short. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 22:22, Saint Garrett said:

He was fine,  Nothing spectacular but did the job he was brought on to do. Got a long way to go, but he’ll only learn with game time. 

That’s the thing he isn’t spectacular. He’s not diving into tackles or last ditch blocks because he reads the game so well. Last night he was always in the right place at the right time, as he was in other games he’s played. Got a nice burst of speed to make interceptions and block players off without having to lunge in. He looks a really exciting player. 

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That’s the thing he isn’t spectacular. He’s not diving into tackles or last ditch blocks because he reads the game so well. Last night he was always in the right place at the right time, as he was in other games he’s played. Got a nice burst of speed to make interceptions and block players off without having to lunge in. He looks a really exciting player. 

Exactly that he read it so well and snuffed out the danger so many times.

We should build defence around him recruit full backs and Romeu cover we may not struggle defensively next year

The general consensus seems to be that Salisu and KWP are developing into very good players, Bednarek and Vestergaard are good international players, we've got the making of a decent defence next season. Left back and goal keeper are the big doubts. 

Gives us something to build on though. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yep, being in the right place at the right time and staying on his feet are the building blocks of a decent CB. Salisu has that, plus pace, power, and some calmness. We've got a good one. 

I think the fact that he played in his 'normal' position is telling. Apart from the tall end of the Bournemouth QF, when he and Stephens replaced Bednarek & Vestergaard, I am pretty sure all of his previous outings have either been as part of 3 at the back or at LB. Given a proper chance in a back 4 he demonstrated exactly why we bought him. @LeG has been extolling his virtues as one for the future ever since we signed him, even when he was unavailable for so long. Last night was an assured performance and an exciting glimpse of what might be to come.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

To my mind we need to stiffen midfield which will in turn better protect the back four and goalkeeper.

Also need a big lump up front which provides different attacking options, especially when chasing the game

Agreed, but the big lump has to be able score goals too, like Pelle.

Donkeys need not apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Think he looks absolutely quality bearing in mind his experience and age. Really excited about his future, would half expect him to be first choice next season, but will be difficult getting in the team ahead of Vestergaard assuming he's still here next season. And Ralph doesn't seem to like dropping Bednarek.

He looks great at the defensive aspects but is much more like Bednarek on the ball - i.e can pass ok with his strong foot, looks very dodgy on his weaker foot and isn't going to be orchestrating too many attacks from the back, certainly neither of them are anywhere near Vestergaard in terms of ability on the ball.

A pairing of Bednarek and Salisu would attract a lot of opposition pressing I think.

Surely will be a starter next season, and for that reason I would expect us to take the cash for Vestergaard and sign a backup type CB in his place.

Surely has to start v Fulham. We keep hearing from the club how good he's going to be but then don't play him. Its not like Bednarek & Vestergaard are that great. I sometimes think Vestergaard gets away with it because people see his "Hollywood" diagonol passes and the fact that he's 6'6". 

If I was Salisu I'd be sat on the bench wondering what the hell i'm doing here

28 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

Surely has to start v Fulham. We keep hearing from the club how good he's going to be but then don't play him. Its not like Bednarek & Vestergaard are that great. I sometimes think Vestergaard gets away with it because people see his "Hollywood" diagonol passes and the fact that he's 6'6". 

If I was Salisu I'd be sat on the bench wondering what the hell i'm doing here

I think Vestergaard is quality and he playing out from the back is very valuable as is his formidability in the air. Salisu is probably our best defender on the ground and against pace and also has great distribution. For me they have to be the pairing with Bednarek on the bench. Another option could be similar to how we ended last game:

Forster

Bednarek Vestergaard Salisu

JWP

KWP Armstrong Tella Redmond

Adams Ings

In like a 3142 with Redmond as a wingback. Would be similar to our normal formation except with a CM dropped for a CB and this giving the extra flexibility to push our fullbacks right up, and therefore making it easier for an attacking mid to play the role, either Redmond or Djenepo. Also Stephens in for Bednarek if not fit.

Edited by TWar

I think we should be looking at extending his contract by a year this summer or early into next season.

He has 3 years left and as a selling club the optimal time to do that would be with two years remaining (as a minimum) to get a good fee, so keeping good players on long contracts is clearly good business.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I think we should be looking at extending his contract by a year this summer or early into next season.

He has 3 years left and as a selling club the optimal time to do that would be with two years remaining (as a minimum) to get a good fee, so keeping good players on long contracts is clearly good business.

Definitely worth a go but I expect the player will want to keep his options open

12 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Definitely worth a go but I expect the player will want to keep his options open

I guess as a player, he'd have to weigh up the risk of being 'trapped' with the increase in salary. Like VVD, I suspect his wages are currently 'modest' so it's not inconceivable that even we could provide a notable, but sustainable, uplift that recognises his potential and maximises our investment.  

• 3 months later...

Hope we are trying to extend his contract. Regardless of what Saints do as a team this season, teams will be noticing him.

As it stands, our optimal time to sell would be 2022 summer, so would be good to push that back a year and allow him to develop a little more.

He could be a top CB if he improves a bit in possession and as a set piece threat.

He's excellent, really good defensive fundamentals as well as being quick and having very good awareness.  I actually he's alright on the ball if not spectacular.

His one shortcoming at this stage (and is the case with JB and JS) is dominating the defensive area with regards to high balls in, hopefully Lyanco will provide that.

Needs to improve his forward passing but he looks a top player. Composed, good in the air/one on one battles for the ball and a real calming influence. Had Antonio in his pocket all game, until he switched over to be on Stephens’ side who equally dealt with him well. 

Yellow card at the end was nonsense - he won the ball. 

Will only get better.

• Like 1

He's a talent, he had Antonio in his pocket to be honest. He adds a dimension we didn't have last year at the back in a starting CB. He'll get better as well, he's only young and he's still gaining experience - but he has all the tools physically and I think he reads the game very well.

If he can improve his passing out of defence then he's pretty much there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

This guy knows what he's on about 

In all seriousness there are about half a dozen people on here who understand the game and know what they’re on about. You’re one of them, I don’t ever remember you posting FM stats or XGs etc

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Seems to have the knack of just quietly getting his foot in and stopping an attack dead. A sort of anti-Bednarek, whose finest moments have all been last-minute lunges to block or clear.

This is the sign of all good CB’s in the modern game. It doesn’t look spectacular or heroic, but it’s a skill to be in the right place at the right time, with the right body position to not lose your man or need a spectacular challenge. 
It’s easy to dismiss this as the opposition not being difficult to defend, dismissing the reading of the game and the movement needed to make it look so simple. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RobM said:

This is the sign of all good CB’s in the modern game. It doesn’t look spectacular or heroic, but it’s a skill to be in the right place at the right time, with the right body position to not lose your man or need a spectacular challenge. 
It’s easy to dismiss this as the opposition not being difficult to defend, dismissing the reading of the game and the movement needed to make it look so simple. 

This sounds like a key attribute in his entire makeup, as was alluded to in the scouting report when we bought him:

It's not all just about being a big strong boy, however. Despite being just 21 years old, Salisu possesses incredible positioning and awareness which defies his age. He consistently finds himself in the right place to attack crosses or block shots, doing so more regularly than any centre-back his age in Europe's top five leagues.

34 minutes ago, RobM said:

Good point. It's a bit like when keepers always look decent for the teams near the bottom because they have so many opportunities to make big saves. Making last ditch tackles and blocks all the time isn't necessarily the sign of a good defender because they've allowed that situation to occur in the first place. 

For defenders he has:

• 8th most aerial duels won in the league
  • 15th most tackles won (Stephens is 11th)
  • 6th most interceptions in the league
  • 5th most recoveries in the league
  • 6th most clearances in the league 
  • 6th most blocks in the league

He is having a truly exceptional start to the season, he'll be being noticed now, need that contract asap.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mohammed Salisu - Official: Signs for Monaco