Other Games - 2020/2021

jamesfp1

11 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So are we really happy with today’s results or not?

We stay well clear of the strugglers but lose ground on the 3 of the big six teams.

If that’s not an MLG klaxon I don’t know what is...

I don’t see how you can call them anything other than perfect results for us. Keeps that bottom four well adrift and the only team you’d call our rivals realistically is West Ham, who lost.

16 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So are we really happy with today’s results or not?

We stay well clear of the strugglers but lose ground on the 3 of the big six teams.

If that’s not an MLG klaxon I don’t know what is...

Not a bad set of results - 3 points tomorrow will make them even better. 😉

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Not a bad set of results - 3 points tomorrow will make them even better. 😉

I think quite capable of putting pressure on top 6. Might turn out to be ridiculous but none of them look that strong and compressed season and European fixtures is about the best opportunity we will have.

All you pessimists cheering for Spurs to beat Brighton? They will go above us but hey we will be further clear of relegation rivals.

Nice to be able to able to be supporting sides against Mourinho and other top 6 again......for now

Feels a bit odd to be interested in Man Utd v Arsenal for league position but we’re almost a quarter of the way through the season and above both of them.

At the moment at least, we’re competing at the top end of the table, I’m personally hoping for draw here.

15 minutes ago, whelk said:

All you pessimists cheering for Spurs to beat Brighton? They will go above us but hey we will be further clear of relegation rivals.

Nice to be able to able to be supporting sides against Mourinho and other top 6 again......for now

The bottom four are that lame that I really can’t see Brighton being a factor anyway. Personally, after 3 years of looking nervously over our shoulders, I’d quite like to have a season of just not caring about the R word. That means those bottom four continuing to get spanked for another month or two, so that even if we have a Bournemouth style, mid-season 8 defeats in 10, we’re still comfy.

• Like 1

After our game 3 cheers for having the IPL to watch - what I could be bothered to watch of the other 2 games they were pretty grim especially the Manure v Arse game even more so after the hullabaloo in the build up from Sky - but then Man U v Chelsea same blockbuster build up same damp squib.

Have to admit I thought it'd be a bit longer than this, and I guess it could just be an off day, but it's looking like a combination of the step up to the Premier League and Bielsa's tactics are starting to take a toll on Leeds' squad already. They look pretty much done in this game at least.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Have to admit I thought it'd be a bit longer than this, and I guess it could just be an off day, but it's looking like a combination of the step up to the Premier League and Bielsa's tactics are starting to take a toll on Leeds' squad already. They look pretty much done in this game at least.

They are without Kalvin Phillips today, and he is crucial to their midfield. Their stand-in (Shackleton) is a young lad and probably not ready just yet.

Rodrigo would add quality as well and he's not playing either. It just shows that they don't quite have the squad, no surprise just yet. They'll have enough to stay up I think (going by the dross down there this year) but they'll need to baulk up that squad for next season.

On 01/11/2020 at 21:02, S-Clarke said:

Brighton strike me as one of those sides where everyone compliments their football, but they never actually pickup the results. They look very blunt, but their build up through the middle is tidy.

They’re good to watch, they’ll give a few teams a good game this season and will be a potential Banana skin in the title race but as you’ve rightly pointed out they don’t really have enough of a threat in the final 3rd, otherwise they’d be comfortable mid table

18 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

West Brom could threaten Derby's record.

I've not seen such an ineffective team at this level for such a long time. Incapable of defending or scoring.

Two very good goals by Fulham, albeit not as a good a hit as Danny’s, but overall I wasn’t convinced. WBA started stronger and after the goals, twice Fulham gave easy possession away centrally in dangerous areas, and WBA should have made them pay, although Lemina did recover his loss of concentration unlike Anguissa (IIRC). Against Saints in current form let alone Spurs or Liverpool, that would have been two goals shipped. Karlan Grant missed a chance that he sliced as well without working the keeper. Second half WBA heads went down. 

Lemina injured again - didn’t have a bad half but hard to evaluate vs WBA. Compare it to his Pellegrino performances v them and not encouraging, hope he is not out long as both parties need to move on. Reed busy but WBA pressure on ball less. Lemina has more quality on the ball but Harrison will help Fulham’s back 4 more. Prefer our CM options with Diallo in.

Would be great to still be top tonight.

More generally though - and without any belief that we can “do a Leicester” - I’ve started cheering on the strugglers against the big teams. Usually I’d want the bottom 5 or 6 to be losing to the better clubs in order to aid relegation worries.

I’m now thinking top six is a real possibility and relegation really is not. So I consider, say, Spurs and Leicester to be our rivals this season not Burnley, WBA, Fulham etc

• Like 1