Other Games - 2020/2021

jamesfp1

17 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

The point is that teams that normally get shown on sky are paying far less to watch the same number of games for the exact same product.

Yes, it’s a replacement for games that wouldn’t normally be shown, but going to games to watch them literally isn’t an option at the moment.

Sky are taking advantage of a monopoly gifted to them by a global pandemic to charge far more than they would for any other game, prices comparable to going to the games themselves, and it fans of the less fashionable clubs that are being disproportionately affected.

Exactly this. Eloquently argued.

18 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

The point is that teams that normally get shown on sky are paying far less to watch the same number of games for the exact same product.

Yes, it’s a replacement for games that wouldn’t normally be shown, but going to games to watch them literally isn’t an option at the moment.

Sky are taking advantage of a monopoly gifted to them by a global pandemic to charge far more than they would for any other game, prices comparable to going to the games themselves, and it fans of the less fashionable clubs that are being disproportionately affected.

They aren't.

Sky and BT don't profit from the PPV games apart from advert break money which they'd get regardless of the cost of the game. The £15 from the PPV games goes to the Premier League to be split among clubs (minus TV production cost).

Edited by Matthew Le God

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

They aren't.

Sky and BT don't profit from the PPV games apart from advert breaks. The £15 from the PPV games goes to the Premier League to be split among clubs (minus TV production cost).

Correct.

And a Sky source told The Mirror: 'Sky is not happy to be involved in showing the pay-per-view games. We never thought it was a good idea and nothing's changed since it started. 

'It is damaging the reputation of Sky Sports to be linked to this scheme – and that feeling is shared at BT. Everyone here would prefer for it to stop.' 

19 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

The price is hardly the same as going to the game itself. Sure, the experience isn't as good, but it's way cheaper. About half price even if you're the only viewer. £7.50 per head in my household.

For a family of four you're looking at £15 rather than around £150, depending on travel costs, higher food drink/costs etc

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Correct.

And a Sky source told The Mirror: 'Sky is not happy to be involved in showing the pay-per-view games. We never thought it was a good idea and nothing's changed since it started. 

'It is damaging the reputation of Sky Sports to be linked to this scheme – and that feeling is shared at BT. Everyone here would prefer for it to stop.' 

I thought they [Sky and BT] were the ones getting pissed off that games were being given away for free because it reduced the value of the games they originally scheduled or something like that?

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

My FPL is a mess this week. 24 pts so far. Bamford stranded on the bench. 

I transferred him out this week! Ffs And Jota, who scored for Liverpool. Chilwell is my highest scoring player with six. Bad week. Unless Kane does something miraculous.

West Ham continue to surprise me this season. Their fixtures looked so tough but they’ve done very well so far. Whether they can be as good through the “easier” games remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fucking hell. Kieron Dyer is living up to his name, dire punditry. Wonder how he got the gig ? 

It is black history month.

There was about 20 minutes dedicated to it before in the build up to our game vs Everton on sky.

12 hours ago, nta786 said:

It is black history month.

There was about 20 minutes dedicated to it before in the build up to our game vs Everton on sky.

But before that there was 10 mins dedicated to Calvert- Lewin and we were the home team!

Early days I know but you’d expect Wins for Brighton and spurs tonight which would mean the bottom 4 are already 5 points adrift of 16th. If their starts are anything to go by then it could be a long season for them. 

as for the top half the conspiracy theorist in me says that with all the premier league being interested in are viewing figures and profits with only one of last season top four currently in the top six will we start to see a few favourable decisions going in the big clubs favour over the coming weeks to help them back to their rightful place? After all it came from then chairman of the premier leagues mouth a few years ago that Man United not being in the champions league is bad for premier league business.

what has happened to all the goals and crazy scores? Load of very dull games now.

Has anyone published any PPV ratings? Can’t believe neutrals are paying for these borefests. 
530pm on Monday is a weird time for a game yet now seems regular slot.

33 minutes ago, whelk said:

what has happened to all the goals and crazy scores? Load of very dull games now.

Has anyone published any PPV ratings? Can’t believe neutrals are paying for these borefests. 
530pm on Monday is a weird time for a game yet now seems regular slot.

The PPV stats are prob rubbish. Apparently BT and Sky are against the idea of PPV, but I find that incredibly hard to believe seeing as it's their platforms showing it. If they were that against it then they could have just told the PL to stream it on their website behind a paywall.

Like you said, no neutral is going to pay 15 quid to watch Brighton v West Brom. Just like no one is going to pay 15 quid to watch Villa v Us.

I know I'm in deluded 'counting chickens' territory way before they've hatched, but has anyone seen a team so far this season that we shouldn't be confident about getting a positive result against?

Edit: cue Spurs goal 

Edited by trousers

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The PPV stats are prob rubbish. Apparently BT and Sky are against the idea of PPV, but I find that incredibly hard to believe seeing as it's their platforms showing it. If they were that against it then they could have just told the PL to stream it on their website behind a paywall.

Like you said, no neutral is going to pay 15 quid to watch Brighton v West Brom. Just like no one is going to pay 15 quid to watch Villa v Us.

I’ve been a defender of PPV. But gees, if this Burnley v Spurs game had cost me £15, I’d be suing to get my cash back.

Would be interesting to know the take up rate - maybe 20,000 or so payers? Wild guess there...

Burnley look absolutely dreadful. Their only tactic is to try and drag their opponents down to their level, and then hope for corners and crosses.

Teams like that haven't got any place in this league. Need shot of them.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

The bottom four look truly ropey - disregarding the matches they’ve played against each other, their combined record against the other 16 teams is:

P 19 W 0 D 2 L 17 GD -29 

Points per game - 0.105

Maybe Derby’s all time low points record of 11 is under serious threat this season?

Edited by SaintBobby

15 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

The bottom four look truly ropey - disregarding the matches they’ve played against each other, their combined record against the other 16 teams is:

P 19 W 0 D 2 L 17 GD -29 

Points per game - 0.105

Maybe Derby’s all time low points record of 11 is under serious threat this season?

Strange to think that we're already nine points clear of the bottom three.

19 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Burnley look absolutely dreadful. Their only tactic is to try and drag their opponents down to their level, and then hope for corners and crosses.

Teams like that haven't got any place in this league. Need shot of them.

Absolutely bang on. They are the pub team of the Premier League 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So that’s “the media” now is it, Saggy face. Every pundit I’ve heard or read has gone out of their way to state Spurs can’t win it, including Sky last night.

MLG Mode

They *can" win it, but they probably won't 

Edited by trousers

14 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So that’s “the media” now is it, Saggy face. Every pundit I’ve heard or read has gone out of their way to state Spurs can’t win it, including Sky last night.

BBC were asking Kane after the Burnley game if this is their season, Kane said the cliché "take it one game at a time". So not just Saggy Chops.

Interesting fact reported by the BBC from tonight's Arsenal Vs Dundalk match - 

"Dundalk made a bit of history as the first team in the 10 years of the Europa League not to commit a single foul in a game."

Must be quite a rare event.  Didn't help them much though - they still lost 3-0