Other Games - 2020/2021

jamesfp1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure why it's so difficult. Clear and obvious is what it should be. If it's a decision that can't be determined quickly and easily within about 30 seconds with slow motion replays then the attackers get the benefit of the doubt. If you have to stay drawing lines or look in terms of millimetres then that's when you don't overturn the decision. Common sense. 

You’re right, it shouldn’t be difficult. It’s pundits and people with views like yours that are making it so.

How can a factual decision be subject to  “clear & obvious “, it’s either offside or onside. Exactly the same as no balls, run outs & stumpings  in cricket. Nobody says “the bowlers foot was only 0.005mm over the no ball line and it’s taken the third umpire more than 30 seconds to decide , therefore he’s out” do they? No they wait for the technology to determine if it’s a no ball or not and then give the decision. You seem to want offside goals allowed because they’re only just offside. Anyway, we don’t know what the decision was in the Bamford case, because linos are told to keep their flags down. For all we know the Lino may have given offside were there no var. 

Either VAR or the Lino can decide. I’d rather it was the Lino. But choosing VAR and still allowing offside goals, defeats the whole object of having it in the first place. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re right, it shouldn’t be difficult. It’s pundits and people with views like yours that are making it so.

How can a factual decision be subject to  “clear & obvious “, it’s either offside or onside. Exactly the same as no balls, run outs & stumpings  in cricket. Nobody says “the bowlers foot was only 0.005mm over the no ball line and it’s taken the third umpire more than 30 seconds to decide , therefore he’s out” do they? No they wait for the technology to determine if it’s a no ball or not and then give the decision. You seem to want offside goals allowed because they’re only just offside. 

In my opinion you're not a football fan if you want to see technology taking multiple minutes to try to figure out if a goal should be disallowed because the flawed technology determines that there could be a possibility that the striker was offside by a gnats bollock. Or if you are comfortable with VAR deciding that someone's arm is offside because they are pointing where they want the ball played. If they carry on with football like that then I can guarantee that it will stay to lose its appeal for many and will not be as popular. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In my opinion you're not a football fan if you want to see technology taking multiple minutes to try to figure out if a goal should be disallowed because the flawed technology determines that there could be a possibility that the striker was offside by a gnats bollock. Or if you are comfortable with VAR deciding that someone's arm is offside because they are pointing where they want the ball played. If they carry on with football like that then I can guarantee that it will stay to lose its appeal for many and will not be as popular. 

How do you know the Lino wouldn’t have thought Bamford offside and flagged anyway, they’re told not to flag. Everyone is looking at this from the goals chalked off angle. But how many goals have been scored this season that the Lino thought was offside and would have been ruled out pre VAR. We’ll never know because they don’t flag. 

I’ve never wanted VAR, because anyone with half a brain could see this happening. You can’t put the genie back in the bottle and you certainly can’t have offside goals being allowed, when you’re using technology. The only way you can use technology and have a degree of error is some sort of appeal process as per cricket. Palace probably wouldn’t have appealed the Leeds goal as they’d have thought it onside and wouldn’t want to lose their right to appeal a later error. But we’re not there yet, we’re at the stage where VAR is deciding whether it’s off or onside factually. What would Roy Hodgeson & the pundits say when told it was actually  offside, but only just, so it was allowed. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Hopefully ol' Queenie will be around for a few more years yet (and not just because we'll get an extra days holiday next year!) but what's gonna happen with the National Anthem once she goes? It's just had an airing at Wembley, 'God Save the King' ain't got the same ring to it and, for the football at least, an ideal opportunity to replace it with a new 'English' anthem.

Ain't the same without Ingsy and JWP out there tonight.

4 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Hopefully ol' Queenie will be around for a few more years yet (and not just because we'll get an extra days holiday next year!) but what's gonna happen with the National Anthem once she goes? It's just had an airing at Wembley, 'God Save the King' ain't got the same ring to it and, for the football at least, an ideal opportunity to replace it with a new 'English' anthem.

It'll be 'God save the king'... like it was for hundreds of years before 1952.

Though I'd rather with kept both God and the monarchy out of the national anthem. Not very inclusive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

Ain't the same without Ingsy and JWP out there tonight.

The extra days holiday isn’t till the following year so a bit longer to wait yet! Even if she did snuff it we’d get an extra days holiday anyway, .

England making light work of the ROI, shame their neighbours are struggling against Slovakia, be good to have them and the sweaties there next year

I never thought I'd say (or see) this. I've just watched Jack Grealish play three quarters of a game of football and I don't think he fell over once. I reckon Southgate's had a word. Obviously a Villa tactic (some of their other players have started doing it as well) and not England.

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

It'll be 'God save the king'... like it was for hundreds of years before 1952.

Though I'd rather with kept both God and the monarchy out of the national anthem. Not very inclusive.

What, they were singing GStK for hundreds of years at Wembley? Doubt it. Was only opened in 1923...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wembley_Stadium_(1923)

Edited by OttawaSaint

8 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

What, they were singing GStK for hundreds of years at Wembley? Doubt it. Was only opened in 1923...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wembley_Stadium_(1923)

😂Ladies and Genitalmen it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you............ straight from his family home in the most delightful town of Pedantry - I give you Mr Ottawa Saint!!

😜🤪😁😎

• Haha 1

What absolute crap is England at the moment. If Saints had played them last night we'd have won about 6-0.

Southgate is way past his sell-by date but then again who would be able to turn this load of dross into a decent team.

...and don't get me started on that foul-mouthed Grealish character. He must be the best player in the Premier League when it comes to falling over when hit by sudden gust of wind or firing useless crosses into the box.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

21 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What absolute crap is England at the moment. If Saints had played them last night we'd have won about 6-0.

Southgate is way past his sell-by date but then again who would be able to turn this load of dross into a decent team.

...and don't get me started on that foul-mouthed Grealish character. He must be the best player in the Premier League when it comes to falling over when hit by sudden gust of wind or firing useless crosses into the box.

Did we not win 3-0?

I'd imagine that group (if we were able to have ings/jwp in our side) would still have probably beaten us just as comfortably.

Sancho and Rice are useless.

If Southgate don’t start with Greslish next game then he should be sacked.

Quality player who makes things happen but he has too many shit players around him.

Ha ha on our two free kick opportunities as JWP would of buried one if not two.

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Sancho and Rice are useless.

If Southgate don’t start with Greslish next game then he should be sacked.

Quality player who makes things happen but he has too many shit players around him.

Ha ha on our two free kick opportunities as JWP would of buried one if not two.

How does Eric Dier get in the team? 

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

England are truly awful

Indeed, and now the pundits are waxing lyrical over a 2 nil loss and how good Jack Grealish was.   Yeah he had some good touches here and there but ultimately he never hurt them at all.  We are not close to the level of Belgium,  and Jack Grealish is not going to make one iota of difference to that.

50 minutes ago, Micky said:

Indeed, and now the pundits are waxing lyrical over a 2 nil loss and how good Jack Grealish was.   Yeah he had some good touches here and there but ultimately he never hurt them at all.  We are not close to the level of Belgium,  and Jack Grealish is not going to make one iota of difference to that.

Totally agree, Grealish has no end product

9 minutes ago, Hayling Saint said:

Totally agree, Grealish has no end product

He does but he had no pace or movement in front of him. We never laid a glove on Belgium it was easy for them but that wasn’t grelish fault he at least looked like making something happen. Mount, Kane, Sancho and Calvert Lewin had no impact on the game whatsoever 

8 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

We won't win Jack shit with Southgate in charge, some really good youngsters and experience wasted by a clueless fa yes man 

So he’ll be the equal of every other England manager except for Ramsey then!

for all the hype about England’s players our defensive options are poor. No decent keeper or centre back there, no decent left back, and pretty average options in central midfield. That equals a weak spine of the team meaning we can’t throw caution to the wind going forward. Southgate isn’t great but neither are his options and who else is there to replace him?

Why are the media/England players using the angle that we 'played well'?

We were taken to the cleaners really, passed it nice and sideways for a good period of the 2nd half, but that was it.

A lot of these players would be good players if they were coached correctly in this team. They're not though, they are thrown together and told to 'play'.

Southgate is still living on the Semi Final glory, which to be fair was a fluky tournament, as we only had to win 3 games to get there.

Not entirely sure why the FA think he is an elite coach - he's not.

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

So he’ll be the equal of every other England manager except for Ramsey then!

for all the hype about England’s players our defensive options are poor. No decent keeper or centre back there, no decent left back, and pretty average options in central midfield. That equals a weak spine of the team meaning we can’t throw caution to the wind going forward. Southgate isn’t great but neither are his options and who else is there to replace him?

Defensively we are dreadful. Gomez is our 'best' CB. Maguire is a mid-table PL CB at best, the other options are lower PL/Champ players. Gone are the days of Rio, who was a proper Rolls Royce CB in his prime. None of our current options can hold a torch to him.

I still stand by the fact that a decent coach could get a song out of them though.

On 16/11/2020 at 11:02, S-Clarke said:

Defensively we are dreadful. Gomez is our 'best' CB. Maguire is a mid-table PL CB at best, the other options are lower PL/Champ players. Gone are the days of Rio, who was a proper Rolls Royce CB in his prime. None of our current options can hold a torch to him.

I still stand by the fact that a decent coach could get a song out of them though.

Quite surprising they haven't picked up the phone to Chris Smalling as he is playing regularly for AS Roma in Serie A (my tongue is firmly in my cheek by the way).

I find it quite weird that for the first time probably since I started paying attention to watching footie, with England losing out on going to the 1974 World Cup, these last few games I have had very little desire to sit down and watch them. 

Southgate just seems to have slipped into the England manager default setting of "who is normally top of the league, who is English in that team - oh are they a name folk will recgnise". 

38 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I find it quite weird that for the first time probably since I started paying attention to watching footie, with England losing out on going to the 1974 World Cup, these last few games I have had very little desire to sit down and watch them. 

Southgate just seems to have slipped into the England manager default setting of "who is normally top of the league, who is English in that team - oh are they a name folk will recgnise". 

I normally watch any football game going but the last 2 England games without Ings or JWP in the squad I did not watch. Mind you I don't understand the European competition format and didn't realise the importance of the Belgium game, I think that having friendly games at the same time period as competition matches hasn't helped.

In theory we should have a good England team to compete with any country (Belgium a small country at number 1 in the world!!) but over the years England managers have poorly selected and mis-managed the resources around them.

12 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Imagine the meltdown if England lost a game 6-0 these days.

2 nil away against the ranked no 1 team in the world and people are up in arms.

Exactly. And we beat them (last month?). I do wonder if Mr Klippity Klopp could resist the Germany job if they came calling. Pure speculation of course.

27 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Newcastle are dire. Toothless. Chelsea beating them 2-0 and hardly out of first gear.

Yeah Bruce lucky crowds aren’t there. Would’ve been hammered for today’s tepid showing

27 minutes ago, SaintBobby said: