Other Games - 2020/2021

jamesfp1

8 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Shame it means we drop a place.

6 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Yes thats annoying, was hoping Tottenham would beat them.

< MLG Mode >

Better to be 11th and 1 point behind Spurs than 10th and 3 points behind them 

< \ MLG Mode>

:)

6 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Ouch.

VvD needs surgery on his ACL, likely out for the season.

Was going to happen, they have been incredibly lucky with injuries to key players over the last two seasons. The likes of VVD, Robertson, TAA, Mane and Salah have barely missed a game, whilst City have had long periods without players like Laporte, De Bruyne and Aguero. 

Going to test their squad depth, especially as I have never really been that convinced of Gomez. 

Shocking tackle by Pickford though, how that wasn't a red I don't know regardless of the injury suffered it was reckless and always likely to cause an injury. 

If Liverpool don't win the title they are probably going to be talking about that Everton game for ages, winner ruled out for an imaginary offside and their best player injured for the season. 

-------------------------

Also got to be the season that Kane leaves Spurs if they don't win anything, he does everything for them and the rest still let him down. 

Edited by tajjuk

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Was going to happen, they have been incredibly lucky with injuries to key players over the last two seasons. The likes of VVD, Robertson, TAA, Mane and Salah have barely missed a game, whilst City have had long periods without players like Laporte, De Bruyne and Aguero. 

Going to test their squad depth, especially as I have never really been that convinced of Gomez. 

Shocking tackle by Pickford though, how that wasn't a red I don't know regardless of the injury suffered it was reckless and always likely to cause an injury. 

If Liverpool don't win the title they are probably going to be talking about that Everton game for ages, winner ruled out for an imaginary offside and their best player injured for the season. 

Out for the season is probably the best case scenario for Liverpool. Obviously he’ll have the best treatment available, but even so, it’s possibly career threatening.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Out for the season is probably the best case scenario for Liverpool. Obviously he’ll have the best treatment available, but even so, it’s possibly career threatening.

Bit dramatic, ACL injuries are rarely career threatening. McQueen's is the exception to the norm.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Probably more career limiting, rather than threatening I'd say.

He'll certainly never be at the level he was back in 2018/2019. But he'll still play at the top level for a few more years I'd say. Will be interesting to see if Liverpool go big in January to replace, I think they'll have to.

33 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I’ll be surprised if VVD ever reaches his best form after this injury. Can’t think of any other players that have but maybe I can’t think past JRod ! Shearer was never as good after his Achilles went ...

How about Danny Ings ?   😀

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

I’ll be surprised if VVD ever reaches his best form after this injury. Can’t think of any other players that have but maybe I can’t think past JRod ! Shearer was never as good after his Achilles went ...

Van Nistelrooy sticks out in my mind, when he did his ACL in training at PSV. Pushed his move to United back a year I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Jose must learn from this - don't bring on Bale when you are leading three nil.

Didn't it take something like 24 appearances for them first time round before he got his first win?

You'd think 3-0 up with 20 minutes left it was a pretty safe re-debut 😂

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Probably more career limiting, rather than threatening I'd say.

He'll certainly never be at the level he was back in 2018/2019. But he'll still play at the top level for a few more years I'd say. Will be interesting to see if Liverpool go big in January to replace, I think they'll have to.

they can have one of Bednarek,  Stephens  or Vest at £45m

Cannot believe Aston Villa were a few mins from being relegated last season and now they’re cruising, 100%, 4/4 unbeaten. Madness.

Everton fans’ll be getting restless thinking it ain’t their year after all with Villa about to motor past them 🤣🙄

30 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Anyone still think crowds don’t make a difference? When people say 32,000 people groaning can affect the team, I think the current results suggest they may have a point.. 

Not sure anyone ever said that crowds didn't make a difference in the first place.

Everyone knows that football without crowds is a different proposition.

This season is generating randomised results because its not much more than a series of training day kickabouts.

All we need to do is stay on the right side of things and keep getting those points in the bag.

Just as aside

I saw Southampton FC Women progressed with ease in the WFA Cup qualifying round breezing past Helston albeit 3 divisions below them 11-0, they are a pretty ruthless team that don't seem to know how to take their foot off the gas - just a shame the league was cancelled on them last season as they are currently playing well above the standard of the league they are in.

Also it seems La Liga is a bit weird too, Real Madrid had an upset at home over the weekend with newly promoted Cadiz scoring in the 16th minute and hold out for the win. The La Liga top 4 looks different right now Real are top, Getafe (beat Barcelona) Cadiz, Granada - Barcelona down in 9th

16 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Anyone still think crowds don’t make a difference? When people say 32,000 people groaning can affect the team, I think the current results suggest they may have a point.. 

No, the psychology of playing in front of their own fans is what affected our team. I’ve seen plenty of games where the crowd was nothing but supportive or at worst indifferent to the team on the pitch and the still managed to bottle it.

Crowds clearly make a difference, I think the lack of them is encouraging attacking players to take more risks, be more creative and not play it safe so much. This is turn is leading to more goals scored.

13 minutes ago, whelk said:

Wonder how many £14.95s have been handed over for WBA V Burnley 530pm on a Monday evening?

Be interesting to know the results for the whole weekends PPV - tonights 5:30 game I can imagine would be pretty low, bit like our game v Burnley probably was at 8pm on a Saturday night, only die hards would be watching it especially up against the main channel Saturday night family big guns.

interestingly Newcastle fans boycotted their PPV game and apparently raised over £20k donating the £14.95 to a local food bank charity, the most they have collected from matchday collections outside the ground is £5,800, amazingly they had donations from outside the UK too. Seeing the result bet quite a few were glad they didn't watch it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54597058

• Like 4

15 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

interestingly Newcastle fans boycotted their PPV game and apparently raised over £20k donating the £14.95 to a local food bank charity, the most they have collected from matchday collections outside the ground is £5,800, amazingly they had donations from outside the UK too. Seeing the result bet quite a few were glad they didn't watch it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54597058

Not in large numbers they didn't. £20k is only 1,300 fans paying £15.

It is a nice gesture, but wasn't anywhere near a significant part of their fanbase.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is a nice gesture, but wasn't anywhere near a significant part of their fanbase.

That’s just who donated - it doesn’t mean only 1,300 boycotted the PPV

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Does it matter? Still a significant amount of money raised to the charity...fair play to the 1,300.

On 19/10/2020 at 14:18, Lighthouse said:

No, the psychology of playing in front of their own fans is what affected our team. I’ve seen plenty of games where the crowd was nothing but supportive or at worst indifferent to the team on the pitch and the still managed to bottle it.

Crowds clearly make a difference, I think the lack of them is encouraging attacking players to take more risks, be more creative and not play it safe so much. This is turn is leading to more goals scored.

I tend to agree, but why is this not being replicated in other major leagues (accepting that the natural order of La Liga has been somewhat disrupted thus far)?

Am I missing something on this PPV thing. Aren't they matches which otherwise probably wouldnt be shown? If so, you're no worse off. You can choose to pay £15 to watch it if you want, but you wouldn't have been able to watch it as part of your normal Sky?BT package anyway.

14 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Am I missing something on this PPV thing. Aren't they matches which otherwise probably wouldnt be shown? If so, you're no worse off. You can choose to pay £15 to watch it if you want, but you wouldn't have been able to watch it as part of your normal Sky?BT package anyway.

Yep exactly right. The PPV is there as a replacement for fans who would otherwise have attended the game. 

36 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

The point is that teams that normally get shown on sky are paying far less to watch the same number of games for the exact same product.

Yes, it’s a replacement for games that wouldn’t normally be shown, but going to games to watch them literally isn’t an option at the moment.

Sky are taking advantage of a monopoly gifted to them by a global pandemic to charge far more than they would for any other game, prices comparable to going to the games themselves, and it fans of the less fashionable clubs that are being disproportionately affected.

25 minutes ago, FairWeather said:

VVV Venlo losing 0-12 at home to Ajax (only in 82nd minute too)

Ha! We've been eclipsed.

And Tadic managed one of them.  

Some 19 year old Lassina Traoré managed 5 and usually plays for their youth team in the Eerste Divisie.  

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

Exactly. 

For less than the price of a match ticket, you get to watch your team. 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

Only if you have a BT/Sky sub (which I don’t) . I would be happy to pay the £15, but not if I also have to have a subscription that I won’t use for much else in the way of viewing. I have used the Now TV Sky Sports day pass to watch Saints many times and that works best for me (shame on BT for not offering something similar) and I suspect others feel the same as well.

6 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

Yes and no. I've never previously subscribed to Sky or BT but took out monthly Now TV and BT's equivalent at the end of last season so I could watch Saints. I've carried on with them this season and justified it by using the refund from my ST. Now, to be sure of being able to watch Saints, I still have to keep those subscriptions but know that not all games will be included. If all Saints games were PPV it would be fine. If all Saints games were included in the subscriptions that would also be fine. It's the split between the two that's the killer. 

9 hours ago, itchen said:

Yes and no. I've never previously subscribed to Sky or BT but took out monthly Now TV and BT's equivalent at the end of last season so I could watch Saints. I've carried on with them this season and justified it by using the refund from my ST. Now, to be sure of being able to watch Saints, I still have to keep those subscriptions but know that not all games will be included. If all Saints games were PPV it would be fine. If all Saints games were included in the subscriptions that would also be fine. It's the split between the two that's the killer. 

I completely get that some fans might buy a TV subscription with the savings from their season ticket.

But did you assume you’d get every Saints match included in the basic subscription package? I didn’t - even though, of course, we got every Project Restart game for “free”.

As it is, we are getting far more football matches in general included in the package than for a typical season. If you want to “collect the set” you can do so for additional payments - not an option we’ve had before.

Obviously, most of us would rather be watching the matches in stadia. But it’s hardly the fault of Sky/BT that we can’t and they’re providing the best - and best value - package of broadcast matches ever.

Sure, we’d all like everything to be cheaper/free, but the TV deal is great value IMHO. As I’m in Tier 2 and there’s pretty much sod all else to do at the moment, I’m glad I can pay to watch so much extra football. I’ll probably shell out the extra £15 to watch Arsenal v Leicester this evening if nothing else on the tele catches my eye.