Ralph has questions to answer...

saint lard

Change it....or go. 
this ridiculous high line is so obviously flawed with the back four we have. 
Besides the brief upturn after lockdown...we are still a shambles. 
I really wouldnt  be bothered if Ralph went. 
the whole club is rotten to the core right now. 

Edited by saint lard

From my point of view I think the high line is the next step of our evolution of our system which unfortunately we don't have the personal for or have not had enough preparation time with the  existing players for them to understand hence looking like a shower of shit defensively.

I dont know if Che is just unlucky in that he's hitting shots that normally dont get saved but he feels so close to turning the corner but his build up play has been great.

In 1 month I think we will look very different playing this system, Salisu will be a starting CB and hopefully we have a pressing midfielder and another option to come into the team.

Thought Djenpo looked good, shoud stay in the team.

Also has Steve got paid by the club to make it harder to log in after a bad game :lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

From my point of view I think the high line is the next step of our evolution of our system which unfortunately we don't have the personal for or have not had enough preparation time with the  existing players for them to understand hence looking like a shower of shit defensively.

I dont know if Che is just unlucky in that he's hitting shots that normally dont get saved but he feels so close to turning the corner but his build up play has been great.

In 1 month I think we will look very different playing this system, Salisu will be a starting CB and hopefully we have a pressing midfielder and another option to come into the team.

Also has Steve got paid by the club to make it harder to log in after a bad game :lol:

I would agree that a high line is borne out of our style. I have no problems with our style and the intention of how we play, but the problems I have is evolving the style, but not evolving the players.

He has scored an own goal for sure, but you also have to feel sorry for him because he's not being given the flexibility to mould this squad the way he really wants to. In a couple of years time we will regret not allowing him more flexibility to build a squad in his style.

There is no way in any universe that Bedernek and Stephens are 'Gegenpress' style defenders, maybe one at a push, but playing both of them is suicide. Romeu is also not flexible or mobile enough in the CM to play the 'full on' Gegenpress tactic.

So, whilst Raph has had a blind moment thinking those players can play that way, it's also very frustrating for him as he will never be able to fully implement his style unless he is given flexibility in the market.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

This is exactly right. We’re 2 players short of being able to play this system. Salisu And a decent CM. 

Arguably it is Ralph’s fault for persisting until we’re ready to play, but we’ve known PEH was going for a while, it’s the lack of significant investment to improve the squad that is killing us. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

From my point of view, we need another lockdown :) 

• Like 2

A further question foR RH/Crocker is why are they so unfit by comparison to after the last lockdown ? Looks like little or no preparation ahead of the new season on the training ground, pitch or off of it.

But it's not just Ralph who has questions to answerm Semmens and probably Crocker are also culpable in this shambes - wheres the Head of Recruitment ?

I can't believe there are bed-wetting idiots here who believe we would be better off without Ralph! While there were obviously problems with our second half performance today (especially after Romeu went off), let's not for a moment forget how bad we were under Pellegrino and Hughes! If Ralph were to leave we would be well and truly stuffed.

Clearly a few players are not yet up to speed/fitness and without our pressing game a high line does not work. Clearly, also, the poor fitness of Salisu has scuppered many of our plans for this season; and our failure to sign a replacement for Hojbjerg, Reed and Lemina has left us very weak and short in the middle.

Our biggest failures in the second half of this game were our failures to mark Kane and Son. Without those two players on the Spurs side I think we could well have gone on to win this game!

Finally, to return to the initial point, it is not foolish for Ralph to believe we can play with a high line. The fact is that we played out the last part of last season very successfully using just that system (and indeed without Hojbjerg in the side too). Ralph will, I am sure know that we have got work to do on the training pitch; and I am sure he will be as keen as any of us to see us signing a central midfielder and for Salisu to be fit.

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I can't believe there are bed-wetting idiots here who believe we would be better off without Ralph! While there were obviously problems with our second half performance today (especially after Romeu went off), let's not for a moment forget how bad we were under Pellegrino and Hughes! If Ralph were to leave we would be well and truly stuffed.

Clearly a few players are not yet up to speed/fitness and without our pressing game a high line does not work. Clearly, also, the poor fitness of Salisu has scuppered many of our plans for this season; and our failure to sign a replacement for Hojbjerg, Reed and Lemina has left us very weak and short in the middle.

Our biggest failures in the second half of this game were our failures to mark Kane and Son. Without those two players on the Spurs side I think we could well have gone on to win this game!

Finally, to return to the initial point, it is not foolish for Ralph to believe we can play with a high line. The fact is that we played out the last part of last season very successfully using just that system (and indeed without Hojbjerg in the side too). Ralph will, I am sure know that we have got work to do on the training pitch; and I am sure he will be as keen as any of us to see us signing a central midfielder and for Salisu to be fit.

Agree with your starting point about Ralph.

That said he must take some flak surely for the fitness of our players ? The in the transfer market are glaring, yet again.

Reassuring to know that without Kane& Son we might ahve taken something from the game. Let's hope none of our remaining opponents in this league don't have a couple of on form outstanding players when we fcae them this season.

If his high line worked last season, why ahs it gone down the pan now, fitness, or players simply not up to it and not replaced ?

Pretty clear that Ralph has a very extreme tactical philosophy when it comes to pressing and the off the ball work.

I like that generally. We arent going to win anything so its good to see a team play with a clear and aggressive approach rather than just chuck 11 players on the pitch like Bruce does at Newcastle, or Moyes at WHU.

The problem is that with such an extreme approach when it doesn't work its going to be ruthlessly exposed by good players and the PL is full of them.

Today, and in the Palace game it was far too extreme, with players in certain positions asked to do things they cannot do:

Bednarek - is a defend your box CB who will win duels, make blocks and suits a deep defence. 

Vestergaard - as above

Stephens - is a defender comfortable on the ball and who can help play out but who gets exposed by the better forwards.

Romeu - suits a slow possession team where he can shield a deep back four. Very slow.

McCarthy  - is a shot stopper who claims crosses well but is one of the worst PL keepers with his feet and has poor judgement on when to leave his line.

Forster - reactive shot stopper, poor at most other elements and awful coming off his line/ kicking

Gunn - best suited stylistically but confidence shot after last season

These players are the biggest problem we have as none really suit the way Ralph wants to play and their weaknesses are the type that won't improve on the TG.

Summary: if we can't find a suitable no6 and GK especially then Ralph will need to tone down his ideal of how we can play, because the players just can't do it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Pretty clear that Ralph has a very extreme tactical philosophy when it comes to pressing and the off the ball work.

I like that generally. We arent going to win anything so its good to see a team play with a clear and aggressive approach rather than just chuck 11 players on the pitch like Bruce does at Newcastle, or Moyes at WHU.

The problem is that with such an extreme approach when it doesn't work its going to be ruthlessly exposed by good players and the PL is full of them.

Today, and in the Palace game it was far too extreme, with players in certain positions asked to do things they cannot do:

Bednarek - is a defend your box CB who will win duels, make blocks and suits a deep defence. 

Vestergaard - as above

Stephens - is a defender comfortable on the ball and who can help play out but who gets exposed by the better forwards.

Romeu - suits a slow possession team where he can shield a deep back four. Very slow.

McCarthy  - is a shot stopper who claims crosses well but is one of the worst PL keepers with his feet and has poor judgement on when to leave his line.

Forster - reactive shot stopper, poor at most other elements and awful coming off his line/ kicking

These players are the biggest problem we have as none really suit the way Ralph wants to play and their weaknesses are the type that won't improve on the TG.

Summary: if we can't find a suitable no6 and GK especially then Ralph will need to tone down his ideal of how we can play, because the players just can't do it.

I like this a lot, good insight.

I'm often surprised how many think that the coach doesn't have any responsibility when he chooses the team, the formation, the tactics etc. A great coach chooses all of those things to bring the best out of the team he has. 

Claiming that we are two players away from having a team that suits Ralph's style is ridiculous. 

44 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I don't think anybodies saying we would be better off without Ralph, but he has shown himself a few times to be remarkably stubborn in changing his approach.  Last year we started horribly playing 4-2-2-2 without the players ready for it, this year we have been stung in both games by playing a higher line than our defenders can handle.  We have gifted the opposition three points when really I think we were worth 4 from the first two games. 

If we play this high again next game serious questions need to be asked.  It shouldn't take a thrashing each season before Ralph changes things up

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Vestergaard - as above

I notice Ward -Prowse escapes your summing up. Why? He was awful today and his one paced lack of defensive awareness was part of the reason we were so poor. He is bang average and we need an upgrade. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

13 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Vestergaard - as above

I echo all of this. I try and write the above, but tend to do it in a very angry manner just after the match and lose my point of view haha.

5 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

I'm often surprised how many think that the coach doesn't have any responsibility when he chooses the team, the formation, the tactics etc. A great coach chooses all of those things to bring the best out of the team he has. 

Claiming that we are two players away from having a team that suits Ralph's style is ridiculous. 

I know what you mean but i dont think there was an alternative formation where we would compete with spurs, counterattacking, possession etc etc so can handle it as a learning step.

To play this system will enable us to beat teams with better players, however we dont have the fitness i believe or players yet (MF and CB) to be confident enough we can be mroe effective.

High line or both CB's hanging back, either way I am not confident in them together and also would love a new goalie if I was being greedy.

Other clubs have cash to spalsh, we haven't. We splashed it all on Carillo, Vestergaard, Elynoussie, Lemina etc and we are still facing  the consequences. It's not Ralph's fault, he is the victim. He's found one system that won't work, let's hope he can find the one that will, before Christmas

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Other clubs have cash to spalsh, we haven't. We splashed it all on Carillo, Vestergaard, Elynoussie, Lemina etc and we are still facing  the consequences. It's not Ralph's fault, he is the victim. He's found one system that won't work, let's hope he can find the one that will, before Christmas

He’s not the victim. 
last season...the Danso fiasco with him playing everywhere but where he is suited. 
actually his team selections were completely baffling...along with his use of substitutions 

this season...the stupid change in tactics at the back,the high line,so blatantly obvious we don’t have the Personal with the attributes to carry that out. 
he’s not a victim...he’s complicit. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chocolate Box said:

Am I missing something here? Last week Zaha and this week Son, KWP nowhere to be seen in either case. I thought he was supposed to be an upgrade on Valery, who seems to have alienated himself completely. Therefore we need a RB as well as CM.

You are missing something a bit. At Palace the goal was in no way KWP's fault. It is his job to play that high when we are on the ball, for him to have been in a position to stop Zaha he would have had to have been about 30 yards farther back that he is clearly being asked to play. 

Today we were being done by Son running from a position in line with the CBs when being played through, both KWP and Bertrand are clearly playing much further up than the CBs as requested. Responsibility in a high line system for covering the ball over the top falls to the CBs and the "sweeper keeper". For two of Sons three he started from a position between our CBs. If anything JWP and Romeu have more responsibility for covering Son's runs. Fullbacks in this system are basically wingers and our double pivot makes up for this in the defensive line. 

KWP did his job pretty well, was a constant headache for Davies and got an assist. If our CBs and goalie had done their job then this would be being talked about as a great game for him. 

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

He's as shit a finisher as Shane Long. He's not unlucky at all. Had three sitters today. Hit two straight at the keeper and dithered and took too many touches to sort himself out to mess up the other.

He's a lower league player. And probably will be again in a season or so one way or another.

If Ings gets injured I'm not sure we'll muster 10 goals between all our attacking players this season. 

Edited by qwertyell

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Ralph and CEO take the flak every week while  the real culprits reside in Switzerland and China behind a wall of silence.

Ralph is a better manager than our squad allows, could see him being a cheap option at spurs once mourinho has pissed everyone off.

I would agree with this. There are a lot of clubs that would love Ralph as manager, but I am sure that they would support him financially more that we do. I am not saying that he needs oodles of dosh, but he needs the tools to do the job. Because of previous mismanagement we seem unable to do this.

Only listened to Adam and Dave on the radio so didn’t see the game. But I got the impression that Bednarek isn’t as effective as last season. And we have no depth in the squad at defensive mid as backup for Romeu. He gets stick on here but after he went off Spurs ran riot with our defence. Smallbone was hardly mentioned on the commentary. Was he in the game at all? We must sign a new DM and quick. Otherwise move Stevens to DM and play Salisu or Vestergaard at CB? Hopefully Ralph knows what he’s doing and can turn it around again.

2 minutes ago, redder freak said:

Only listened to Adam and Dave on the radio so didn’t see the game. But I got the impression that Bednarek isn’t as effective as last season. And we have no depth in the squad at defensive mid as backup for Romeu. He gets stick on here but after he went off Spurs ran riot with our defence. Smallbone was hardly mentioned on the commentary. Was he in the game at all? We must sign a new DM and quick. Otherwise move Stevens to DM and play Salisu or Vestergaard at CB? Hopefully Ralph knows what he’s doing and can turn it around again.

Bedernek looks somewhat distracted, or is that just me? Doesn't look focused and drilled as he was last year, it's like he's taken his eye off the ball. No news on his contract either and he's entering the final 2 years, methinks his head has been turned a little.

35 minutes ago, TWar said:

Responsibility in a high line system for covering the ball over the top falls to the CBs and the "sweeper keeper". For two of Sons three he started from a position between our CBs. If anything JWP and Romeu have more responsibility for covering Son's runs. 

Even if we had Moore & Beckenbauer instead of Stevens & Bednarak, I fail to see how they could have stopped Son, unless they dropped off. So the question is why didn’t they? If they didn’t because they couldn’t think quickly enough, that’s their fault. If they didn’t because they were specifically told to keep the high line, that’s the managers fault. The issue was the ease at which Spurs were able to knock the ball in behind. The centre midfielders job is to disrupt that, not track Son’s run. They failed quite spectacularly to get anywhere near their midfield, who were playing the game with a cigar in their mouth, it was so easy. We’re too nice, too polite and too fucking soft in midfield. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Even if we had Moore & Beckenbauer instead of Stevens & Bednarak, I fail to see how they could have stopped Son, unless they dropped off. So the question is why didn’t they? If they didn’t because they couldn’t think quickly enough, that’s their fault. If they didn’t because they were specifically told to keep the high line, that’s the managers fault. The issue was the ease at which Spurs were able to knock the ball in behind. The centre midfielders job is to disrupt that, not track Son’s run. They failed quite spectacularly to get anywhere near their midfield, who were playing the game with a cigar in their mouth, it was so easy. We’re too nice, too polite and too fucking soft in midfield. 

Almost like we need a new signing in midfield to replace a player who was until recently our captain. Who would have thought?

Edited by miserableoldgit

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yep, agree with all of that. The CB's were lambs to the slaughter today with the way we were set up and the midfield. 

Nothing much the midfield can do if the defence is set up so high that a ball into the space behind catches us out. It happened for all four of Son's goals. Should have learned from the first and adjusted to stop it happening again. To allow it to happen three more times is frankly embarrassing.

Looking at the frustration and tension on Ralphs' face during the game I would not be surprised if he threw in the towel soon. I thought the goalie started the rot in stoppage time by booting the ball upfield instead of playing from the back ,after getting the ball passed to him from a free kick. Spurs picked off the boot upfield and scored. it changed the mood in the dressing room at half time after such nice moves from Saints. in the first half

why was the free kick given back to the GK to begin with

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The idea is, not that I agree with it, that over shorter distances our CBs should have the awareness and acceleration to track Son. If the ball is put sufficiently far past the center backs that it becomes a foot race that the forward would have a chance to get past them then it becomes the sweeper keepers responsibility. The issue is if the center backs are slow then the keeper has to be very alert and high up and if the keeper is deep the center backs need to be very quick in order to match the forward in a foot race over 20 yards or so. We had slow center backs and a keeper who was no where near alert or proactive enough leaving a massive void between the two that if a forward timed their run correctly lead to 1 v 1s basically every time. And their forward was one of the best in the prem so he scored 4 goals. 

My point in the original post was saying tracking Son for the goals was in no way on KWP. It was a joint responsibility between the CBs if Son was receiving the ball shorter and our sweeper if it went longer. Both were awful at this. 

Edited by TWar

4 hours ago, saint lard said:

Change it....or go. 
this ridiculous high line is so obviously flawed with the back four we have. 
Besides the brief upturn after lockdown...we are still a shambles. 
I really wouldnt  be bothered if Ralph went. 
the whole club is rotten to the core right now. 

Someone needs clean bed linen. 

He doesnt need to go, however he does deserve some criticism for how we've played so far this season. How has the quality of football declined so much in 5 weeks. It looks like hes tried to implement something new (given the high line which we've never seen before) in a few weeks, which the players arent responding to. Same happened last season and he admitted this by going 'back to basics'. Needs to go back basics again as defensively we are all over the show. Cant be expecting to win many games conceding 2/3 or more each game. 

That being said he also needs backed by the owners so he bring in a DM and more as we are about 2/3 players short

6 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Appreciate the point you’re trying to make but your post is a bit of a contradiction. Opening with calling people bed wetters due to their opinion of Ralph you then try and stick up for him on aspects of our game that is entirely his fault.

Members of the squad not being fit or up to speed is down to how he coached them during the close season, we were meticulous during lockdown and returned fitter than most teams in the league, so why didn’t it happen again this time? The high line doesn’t work with unfit players, especially ones as average as ours. Again the buck stops with Ralph on that one, what was wrong with the way we’re playing post lockdown when we pressed players and caught them on the break? Why change it!?

Failures to mark Kane and Son again come from the coaching staff, we all know the threat they carry so why not play a man marking game today instead of pissing about with the high line?

I don’t want to lose Ralph that’s the last thing we need, but the man is culpable for displays like today, After all this time we still don’t have an identity with the way we play.

• Like 2

Maybe he's spoke to Danny Rohl who said Bayern play that system it could well work, seriously though he's lost the plot, yes we no the ins and outs of Reed/Wilson/Kreuger/Kat/Gao but the team preparation, game management,  formation etc stops entirely with Ralph,  now like others have said I don't want him to go but I wouldn't lose sleep if he did, he comes across and a bit of a loner and bloody stubborn also tactically inept,  despite what he might want to achieve with our squad he has to be realistic with what he's got to work with

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Maybe he's spoke to Danny Rohl who said Bayern play that system it could well work, seriously though he's lost the plot, yes we no the ins and outs of Reed/Wilson/Kreuger/Kat/Gao but the team preparation, game management,  formation etc stops entirely with Ralph,  now like others have said I don't want him to go but I wouldn't lose sleep if he did, he comes across and a bit of a loner and bloody stubborn also tactically inept,  despite what he might want to achieve with our squad he has to be realistic with what he's got to work with

Why are you talking about him going after 2 bloody games, him having signed a 4 year contract in June ? Are you efing dumb?

I can understand Ralph wanting to evolve the team, try new things and play in this way but i think the timing of this decision is very poor and we don't have the right personnel to make it work.

Perhaps he thinks it can work when salisu and a new cm join the team and is trying to get the others used to it now. But still, this is the kind of thing you want to work on in pre season and try out in friendlies. We didn't get that opportunity. We would have been better to try it when safe at the back end of last season. Doing it now could land us in real trouble. At the moment, the team are not suited to it and haven't had sufficient time to practice it. Therefore they dont have any idea about when to employ the tactic.

I really hope Ralph isn't stubborn about this and reverts to the successful system of last season for now. This league is too unforgiving to write off 6-7 games as a trial period. 

38 minutes ago, Adkins' Bus said:

I can understand Ralph wanting to evolve the team, try new things and play in this way but i think the timing of this decision is very poor and we don't have the right personnel to make it work.

Perhaps he thinks it can work when salisu and a new cm join the team and is trying to get the others used to it now. But still, this is the kind of thing you want to work on in pre season and try out in friendlies. We didn't get that opportunity. We would have been better to try it when safe at the back end of last season. Doing it now could land us in real trouble. At the moment, the team are not suited to it and haven't had sufficient time to practice it. Therefore they dont have any idea about when to employ the tactic.

I really hope Ralph isn't stubborn about this and reverts to the successful system of last season for now. This league is too unforgiving to write off 6-7 games as a trial period. 

I agree with this - it seems to me Ralph's problem has been trying to make changes too quickly, too suddenly, and often underestimating how easily other teams will exploit our uncertainty. It was the same when he arrived - he dramatically changed the system altogether twice instead of incrementally.

I think he is trying to get the whole team playing to this system with the idea that when Salisu is fit, he will slot in and hit the ground running and it will all work a little bit better. But we are sacrificing confidence and points and good memories of last season in the meantime, so I think slowly slowly is better.

I trust Ralph, but I am worried he is experiencing what Koeman did - wants to stay and improve the club, not being supported financially to do so, is feeling frustrated by that.

So from playing deeper against Brentford on Wednesday and then changing it to a high line on Sunday this gave the players roughly two days to understand it?

I'm sorry but we were lucky first half as they could of scored twice before sticking it in the net. Half time Morinho asked Kane to drop back and make sure you time your runs better Son and you will be one on one with the keeper. Ralph got his pants pulled down second half and he better sort it out this week as he has the players everyday to sort it.

I don't think that it's playing a high line which is the problem, it's more knowing when to employ it, it'll be more suited to some teams than others.  The manager should be flexible enough to notice this, he should have seen what they were doing yesterday and got the players to retreat 30 yards, giving them no space to get in behind, this would then force Hojberg and co to come more in to the game and we all know how well he gets the ball forward.

The players should be drilled how to play as a team when employing a high line and how to play as a team when sitting back more, the manager can then adjust how they play during the game.

To just play a high line no matter what, like we did yesterday is ridiculous and the manager should know better