Sport Republic

Dusic

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Can you not read? No one has tried to do that! 🙄

So you agree that Leeds United are a bigger club than Southampton? Yes?

I have no idea why you are wanking on about training grounds when it is absolutely irrelevant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So you agree that Leeds United are a bigger club than Southampton? Yes?

I did not say that either. I passed comment on the whole idea of 'bigger' clubs as there is no definitive criteria and it is ultimately meaningless. What matters is football in 2021, not 1971.

You appear to read what you want me to have said... rather than what I actually said! 

Edited by Matthew Le God

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I did not say that either. I passed comment on the whole idea of 'bigger' clubs as there is no definitive criteria and it is ultimately meaningless. What matters is football in 2021, not 1971.

You appear to read what you want me to have said... rather than what I actually said! 

But I think 99% of human beings on this planet, in 2021, would define Leeds United as a bigger club than Southampton.

So I'd say that based on that there is definitive criteria and it's not meaningless.

They have a bigger global fanbase, thus more revenue. They have a bigger stadium, this more fans to provide revenue. They have bigger history and are generally more famous around the world. Those are all definitive criteria in my eyes.

You could use the same criteria to come to the conclusion that Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc are also bigger than us. So I don't think it's meaningless what so ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Leeds United are a bigger club than Southampton in 2021 so what's your point? The only person talking about 1971 is you.

Are Mansfield Town bigger than Southampton, yes or no, or can you not say?

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Leeds United are a bigger club than Southampton in 2021 so what's your point? The only person talking about 1971 is you.

Are Mansfield Town bigger than Southampton, yes or no, or can you not say?

I've stated on numerous occasions the futile nature and pointlessness of discussing which club is 'bigger'. It is not a label I see any merit in using and has deeply embedded flaws.

Edited by Matthew Le God

15 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Bigger club stuff I don’t completely buy into. Example two: Nottingham Forest, bigger or smaller ?

Not a huge amount in it. Similar in stature - Forest could go up one season and stay in the Prem for a decade while we could go down and stay in the Championship for a decade. We, and they, are one of many broadly similar big-ish city clubs. We had some lucky breaks in the last 20 years, they didn't. They have genuine silverware and an incredibly impressive run, we didn't.

Leeds as a city and a club bigger than both of us.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I've stated on numerous occasions the futile nature and pointlessness of discussing which club is 'bigger'. It is not a label I see any merit in using and has deeply embedded flaws.

Except you entered into a debate about Leeds by twatting on about how we have a better training ground and a newer stadium. No one forced you to respond.

If its so pointless why don't you just keep out of it?

Absolutely bizarre that you cannot say that you think we are a bigger club than Mansfield. We've got a better training ground than them and everything. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Except you entered into a debate about Leeds by tatting on about how we have a better training ground and answer stadium. No one forced you to respond.

If its so pointless why don't you just keep out of it?

Absolutely bizarre that you cannot say that you think we are a bigger club than Mansfield. We've got a better training ground than them and everything. 

You appear confused. I did not say infrastructure on its own made a club bigger. It is one of numerous factors, all with different weightings that people aren't going to agree on.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You appear confused. I did not say infrastructure on its own made a club bigger. It is one of numerous factors, all with different weightings that people aren't going to agree on.

On all the factors and all the weightings - we don't need to agree on this, you can pick all the weightings and factors yourself - on all that, is Southampton Football Club bigger than Mansfield Town, yes or no?

The waiting list for season tickets is massive (more than 20,000) and Leeds think that with a stadium twice the size, they can bump their annual revenue over £250 million. They’re doing very well on one commercial front this season — shirt sales will be not far off 300,000.

Leeds are definitely a bigger club and proposition than us for investment. See above if you’re still arguing about it. Our commercial department would wet themselves if they had these numbers.  

Anyway, we need to be taken over now just to stay in the league. Ambition without backing is meaningless.  Investment into the stadium and further improvement/extension of the training ground is vitally important. Investment into the academy is even more so. Any team investment would be a dream. I’m not holding my breath.  

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

No, but interesting that the Dan Sheldon story came about after it.

He said multiple sources have said that this month is important.

I trust that the bloke who told me knows some of the things going on at the club. It doesn't take mystic Meg to tell us that we are looking to be sold sooner rather than later though. You'd imagine that the most likely time for an announcement would be nearer to the summer once our position in the league is confirmed. Now that most Premier league clubs bigger or conporable in size to us have been sold, there aren't many others in a decent location that someone could buy if they want to break into the prem. I can see why we'd be an attractive proposition. 

2 hours ago, redkeith said:

They made a film  The Damned United about the dirty Leeds, they never bothered making a film about The Ale House Brawlers. 

That puts the size of the clubs into perspective 

What's it matter who is bigger? What matters is we've been in the Premier League for the last ten years, they haven't. We may be smaller which makes that achievement bigger. 

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I trust that the bloke who told me knows some of the things going on at the club. It doesn't take mystic Meg to tell us that we are looking to be sold sooner rather than later though. You'd imagine that the most likely time for an announcement would be nearer to the summer once our position in the league is confirmed. Now that most Premier league clubs bigger or conporable in size to us have been sold, there aren't many others in a decent location that someone could buy if they want to break into the prem. I can see why we'd be an attractive proposition. 

To be honest hypo I don't. There are clubs in League 1 with a better history than us. We struggle to fill our stadium. Yes the location is fairly nice especially the outskirts but that won't interest potential buyers. Would we attract big players even if we had a wealthy sugar daddy?. Are we sexy enough to promote abroad? Do we have a passionate following?. 

We will be sold eventually but I can o ly see it as more of the same, self sustainable and prudent etc etc. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

To be honest hypo I don't. There are clubs in League 1 with a better history than us. We struggle to fill our stadium. Yes the location is fairly nice especially the outskirts but that won't interest potential buyers. Would we attract big players even if we had a wealthy sugar daddy?. Are we sexy enough to promote abroad? Do we have a passionate following?. 

We will be sold eventually but I can o ly see it as more of the same, self sustainable and prudent etc etc. 

We were doing very well not long ago until Les decided the successful managers were hogging the limelight and a former manager of Bishop Storford could do better than a European Cup and Euros winner. The stadium was full every week. The fans feel that they were lied to about Gao (Chinese block on outgoing funds is a fig leaf) and the performances have been dreadful for 5 years at home. It’s a bit like the England cricket team, we make a joke of how bad SFC is and how poorly run. Last Saturday was typical of the amateur nonsense we have to put up with. We need a new owner who will help offset the debt, add professionalism, and some funds straight away to bring in 2-3 experienced heads to come into the first XI to add street smarts at PL level. Gao needs to sell and the sooner the better.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

I agree with this.

In the same way that Leeds and Everton and Newcastle and Villa and and and cannot all be the biggest club in the world, there isn't a scenario I can see where we suddenly are hitting the stratosphere either. Anyone who buys us will know this.

Honestly don't get your hopes up everyone. The best we will get is we get bought by some yank/Thai/Russian/Mid East thing and we finish 8th occasionally.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, CB Fry said:

On all the factors and all the weightings - we don't need to agree on this, you can pick all the weightings and factors yourself - on all that, is Southampton Football Club bigger than Mansfield Town, yes or no?

this reminds me of the good old days when MLG tried to claim that it was arguable Saints had more match going fans than Everton, despite us having never had a season with an average attendance higher than theirs. That was all around the newness of our stadium v theirs as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

We were doing very well not long ago until Les decided the successful managers were hogging the limelight and a former manager of Bishop Storford could do better than a European Cup and Euros winner. The stadium was full every week. The fans feel that they were lied to about Gao (Chinese block on outgoing funds is a fig leaf) and the performances have been dreadful for 5 years at home. It’s a bit like the England cricket team, we make a joke of how bad SFC is and how poorly run. Last Saturday was typical of the amateur nonsense we have to put up with. We need a new owner who will help offset the debt, add professionalism, and some funds straight away to bring in 2-3 experienced heads to come into the first XI to add street smarts at PL level. Gao needs to sell and the sooner the better.

From a playing point of view the BIB is very much needed to the extent I'd make it a January priority. This policy of youngsters coming through the academy plus up and coming youngsters from other clubs bought relatively cheaply to improve and sell on makes sense from a business point of view. But on the pitch we end up with a team full of players that have learnt their PL level street smarts -or rather lack of it - with us. I'd guess Theo has the most PL appearances of anyone in our squad, could therebe a more nicey nicey after-you-sir type of player? We are crying out for some experienced heads for no other reason than to teach the younger players a thing or two about holding on to leads and game management. I'd swap half the current squad to bring in a modern day Jimmy Case.   JWP often gets mentioned for his shithousery, christ if that's as tuff and streetwise as we can manage no wonder we're going nowhere.
Hopefully any takeove can bring with it a change of emphasis on the playing staff side of things.

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 1

When we appeared to have energy and momentum a few years ago Leicester City and a lot of other provincial clubs wanted to emulate us, since then roles have been fully reversed due to their determined ownership and relative stability.  If we get decent owners of that ilk, of course we should be looking to win pots and improve infrastructure.  A successful Saints side would fill a 40k stadium for home games, and not be in the midlands.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I agree with this.

In the same way that Leeds and Everton and Newcastle and Villa and and and cannot all be the biggest club in the world, there isn't a scenario I can see where we suddenly are hitting the stratosphere either. Anyone who buys us will know this.

Honestly don't get your hopes up everyone. The best we will get is we get bought by some yank/Thai/Russian/Mid East thing and we finish 8th occasionally.

I agree. I just think we are quite attractive to the right person who can be sold on the academy stuff and how we go about our business. Not mega money though obviously. 

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I agree. I just think we are quite attractive to the right person who can be sold on the academy stuff and how we go about our business. Not mega money though obviously. 

Whats your man on the inside saying hypo?

43 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

of course with the right person we are very attractive.  For example if i discovered Oil / Gas in my back garden and started pumping 100,000 BOE per day then i would undoubtedly be a fan owner flashing the cash. Unfortunately that's about as likely as any other significantly wealthy person buying and spending money on Saints

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

The academy thing still continues as an appealing option but it’s a bit of a myth. When you dig deeper you can see that it is no better than most others. We had a purple patch that ended with Les and the weaker level yes men. He and the current board claim the glory, but the hard graft and best work was over a decade ago, and it now needs a significant overhaul. Signings like Tella, Tino and Small paper over the gaping holes and a lot will rest on Kami Doyle’s shoulders.  Clubs like Brighton are now superior at the academy level in terms of facilities and staff. 

We are still an attractive purchase but had Kat been less greedy, or needy for quick cash, and Martin Semmens less enamoured by the potential of the Chinese market (which was always a stretch when you dig in to the country’s low level love for football) a better buyer than the failure Gao would’ve been found. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

this reminds me of the good old days when MLG tried to claim that it was arguable Saints had more match going fans than Everton, despite us having never had a season with an average attendance higher than theirs. That was all around the newness of our stadium v theirs as well.

🤣 I remember that. Unsurprisingly he has since denied saying that, or that he was entirely misquoted, but I remember that comment distinctly. If if recall correctly it was either just before or just after promotion to the PL, prior to which we had averaged 20K and 26k in the lower divisions.

We’re up amongst the biggest when it comes to not winning things. We’ve got to be one of the biggest under performers.  Which “bigger” club has won less, I can’t think of any. In the same bag, maybe  Palace, not won fuck all. Norwich, 1 league cup. Disappointing really, especially when you think of the sides we’ve had . 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 still denying it. Funny how two separate people both remember you saying it. I’m not surprised you’re embarrassed

shame embarassed GIF

In just a weeks time MLG will equally deny that he ever started questioning the idea that Leeds United is a bigger club than Southampton. He'll deny he started listing out factors that he thinks make us bigger than Leeds.

He'll get his Gifs out and pretend he "never said it". So predictable.

For someone who posts as much as he does it's amazing that it always turns out that he "never said" anything at all.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

In just a weeks time MLG will equally deny that he ever started questioning the idea that Leeds United is a bigger club than Southampton. He'll deny he started listing out factors that he thinks make us bigger than Leeds.

He'll get his Gifs out and pretend he "never said it". So predictable.

For someone who posts as much as he does it's amazing that it always turns out that he "never said" anything at all.

I did no such thing! 🙄 Your comprehension of English is poor. Perhaps it is your second language and if so I apologize.