Sport Republic

Dusic

3 minutes ago, Delmary said:

Read this.

A New York listed SPAC, called LAMF Global Ventures Corp, is reportedly lining up a takeover of a major European football club.

LAMF Global Ventures is backed by American entertainment industry executives and has football dealmaker Keith Harris on-board as an advisor, according to Sky News.

Okay, who thinks Orville would be a better Director of Football than Les Reed ?

22 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Can always count on Delmary to post an interesting link.

Thanks. Stumbled across the article. Thought it worth sharing.

Within the last month or so, Wolves, Leeds and Newcastle have all had new investments. West Ham could be next. The market does seem to be hotting up.

41 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Are we a “major European club“, MLG?

(Genuine question - not trying to “MLG” you)

In terms of revenue we are, which is partly what such investors would be looking at.

There are thousands of professional European clubs and from 2013 to 2019 Saints were in the top 25 highest turnover clubs in the whole of Europe according to Deloitte. At one point we had the 18th highest income of all European clubs. We've dropped off a bit in the last 2 years, but are still high enough to count as a major club in terms of income.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Delmary said:

Thanks. Stumbled across the article. Thought it worth sharing.

Within the last month or so, Wolves, Leeds and Newcastle have all had new investments. West Ham could be next. The market does seem to be hotting up.

Thanks for sharing. Getting increasingly likely that Gao will be on his way by the summer, question of who replaces him. The return of the fans and the TV deals holding up post ESL chaos seems to have boosted investor confidence, they probably wondered if the sport would bounce back. 

19 minutes ago, Delmary said:

You say interesting, I say I nearly fell asleep reading it.

Upshot seems to be he wants to make money for his partners by selling footballers.  Think we dodged a bullet there.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

I am not sure I would want an American owner. Everyone seems to hate theirs, even Liverpool are ambivalent towards their owners despite their success.

An American owner is sure to be in it for his profit. Full stop.

I feel like a lot of the American owners don't really "get it" plus their business culture is much more in the mindset of leveraging and extracting maximum value than certain other cultures. Whilst any other owner obviously wants some financial return or other benefit from owning the club as well, I tend to favour a European over an American. Chinese is generally a bad idea due to their political exposure.

Obviously that's a big generalisation and there are plenty of undesirable European characters too.

Maybe we should go African - proper sub-Saharan. Give Dangote a ring? Surely there's a big market for an African owned PL club?

American's don't have a favourable record over here, I can't think of many good ones. Off the top of my head: Randy Lerner at Villa, lack of investment, cheap managerial appointments like Sherwood, McLeish, Lambert and Garde, saw them relegated for the first time in 28 years. Ellis Short at Sunderland, didn't seem to care too much about football. Took them over in the Premier League and oversaw their downfall to League One before selling them, where they remain three years later after a lot of well documented backroom problems. The American consortium at Swansea, again took over the club in the Premier League. Appointed Bob Bradley straight away, who wasn't very good. Made further poor appointments in Paul Clement and Carlos Carvalhal and saw them relegated after seven years in the Premier League. Now, given the big sales of the likes of Mawson, McBurnie and Rodon among others in the Championship, they're not really putting the same money into the playing squad and that saw a good manager in Steve Cooper leave in the summer. Then you have the big clubs Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal, who all dislike their ownership for not putting in as much money into the playing squad as they think they should be able to.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

I am not sure I would want an American owner. Everyone seems to hate theirs, even Liverpool are ambivalent towards their owners despite their success.

It depends. Certainly if he or she is a Republican they have to be avoided like the plague.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

I am not sure I would want an American owner. 

18 hours ago, Dellman said:

An American owner is sure to be in it for his profit. Full stop.

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

American's don't have a favourable record over here, I can't think of many good ones. 

How about we judge an owner on their own merits rather than making sweeping generalisations based on nationality?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TWar said:

Suddenly linked with Japanese players?! Coincidence?! Probably 😂

Tadanari and maya arguing over the bigger office at st Mary’s as we speak .. yosh gets the full treatment obviously!! Great servant ! ..joking aside ..anymore spec on the Japs taking over .. would be massive 👌🏻…sun article tho I believe .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

None that I’ve seen.  Although you could argue that’s a good thing that we’ve not heard anything.

Probably true, and hopefully will lead to good news.

Are there any historic precedents where Japanese visitors suddenly appear out of the blue at ports?

• Haha 3

How much will Rakuten have to pay Sportsbet.io to buy out our shirt sponsorship? Their basic deal with Barca was worth £25M a year, so think they'll be OK.  Looking forward to reports of Hiroshi Mikitani docking at Ocean Village soon - we are even the right colour for their branding.

The funny thing is that fans seem to be keener on new owners than the Board. Semmens, Crocker and Ralph seem to have managed well and improved the squad without any cash input. Once an owner puts in cash he expects a say in how everything is run. Sometimes big cash causes all sorts of trouble: ownership interference, player jealousy and rivalry, new wage structure, the 'wrong' sort of player attracted. We are doing quite well as we are. New owners might upset the applecart. 

• Like 4

I think our model is working quite well, although not as well as it did in the past. The board seems to be doing a great job.

Wouldn't want us to try and be another Chelsea/City etc. Being a stepping stone for insanely-talented younger players, watching attractive, attacking play, and being in the top 8-10 of the PL would be perfect for me. Throw in a cup run and higher finish now and then.

Knowing debt isn't a problem, and having an owner who can drop £30M-£40M on a signing once in a while would be beautiful.

Is that too much to ask?

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 1

On 08/11/2021 at 23:33, Wade Garrett said:

You say interesting, I say I nearly fell asleep reading it.

Upshot seems to be he wants to make money for his partners by selling footballers.  Think we dodged a bullet there.

De Grosa, and everything I read about him with everything he said, would have been far, far worse than Gao. 

By a mile.

He was wrong wrong wrong.

Everything.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

The funny thing is that fans seem to be keener on new owners than the Board. Semmens, Crocker and Ralph seem to have managed well and improved the squad without any cash input. Once an owner puts in cash he expects a say in how everything is run. Sometimes big cash causes all sorts of trouble: ownership interference, player jealousy and rivalry, new wage structure, the 'wrong' sort of player attracted. We are doing quite well as we are. New owners might upset the applecart. 

Not looking for Saudi style investment, just not having to sell a key player every year to survive. Not just in the PL but more broadly. Gao wants to sell anyway and needs to - best it happens soon but would prefer a Rakuta to a Da Grosa. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Not looking for Saudi style investment, just not having to sell a key player every year to survive. Not just in the PL but more broadly. Gao wants to sell anyway and needs to - best it happens soon but would prefer a Rakuta to a Da Grosa. 

Need more than that. Although a good start but the stadium needs upgrading, we’re getting left behind , remember the plans. We’ve such potential

• Haha 1

On 09/11/2021 at 18:42, Matthew Le God said:

How about we judge an owner on their own merits rather than making sweeping generalisations based on nationality?

If you read the above post from HarvSFC, we're quite entitled to draw conclusions from the pattern emerging.  American business ethic is profit before all else and cost cutting to the bone.  I wouldn't want one at all. 

1 hour ago, SalisburySaints said:

If you read the above post from HarvSFC, we're quite entitled to draw conclusions from the pattern emerging.  American business ethic is profit before all else and cost cutting to the bone.  I wouldn't want one at all. 

I'd rather not write off everyone of the same nationality as being the same. A dangerous game to play!

• Like 1

Have Palace and West Ham had any big sales over the past couple of years to explain the gulf in potential additional spending? Both have spent plenty on players, but I can't remember any big sales balancing the books (Wan-Bissaka for Palace I guess, but that was yonks ago). Is it just commercial revenue that's the difference?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

Have Palace and West Ham had any big sales over the past couple of years to explain the gulf in potential additional spending? Both have spent plenty on players, but I can't remember any big sales balancing the books (Wan-Bissaka for Palace I guess, but that was yonks ago). Is it just commercial revenue that's the difference?

Is it because our wage bill is still relatively large?

8 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

That chart is ugly viewing as a Saints supporter.

It's one thing blaming the owner but considering we have stayed in the league as long as we have, I think we should be doing better in terms of commercial income.

What would you suggest? 

I doubt we would buy anyone anyway in Jan, and next summer we'll sell one of Salisu, JWP or Tino for 50m+ and get Forster off the books. Does Long's contract expire then as well?

Seems OK, although it's not helpful having piss poor income relative to other PL teams, obviously. 

Edited by benjii

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Still 37m is enough for us to get two players in #positivethinking

How does FFP actually work though? Isn't it wages v turnover as a %? 

Key is to get unwanted players off the wage bill whilst increasing commercial income, we've been bogged down with poor signing high earners for a while, disasters like Carillo and Lemina.