Sport Republic

Dusic

So which one of you funsters is actually taking over the club then? I keep getting disappointed to click on this thread and see new billionaire/yacht/tyre-kicker news. I mean even that blue crowd down the motorway managed to have an entire owner who didn't exist once. Can't we at least make something up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, CougarSaint said:

Any takeover news then?

It was interesting to see The Athletic report on it considering we've been told that the most viable takeovers or investments we'll have will be done with no media awareness.  I don't dispute The Athletic doing the appropriate checks with multiple sources etc. but to hear that they were told doesn't make it feel close to me.

But it needs to be, as club is on its last roll of the dice in terms of finances and transfer strategy.  It simply can't keep up with the investment the rest of the league makes at this rate and its us and Burnley who are going to eventually suffer.

Sadly I also just don't see the appeal in taking over Saints either unless someone is willing to lose alot of money.  We don't make sense from a business sense unless you think you can increase the value of the asset but to really do that you need growth in the league and I think we may be at the tip of that right now.  The elite clubs are well out of reach so what would we be fighting for with lots of investment?  Probably the same as Everton, and they are going nowhere either and how much has their owner pumped in?

At least when we were broke back in the 90's it felt like we had a fighting chance because those around us were also broke so it didn't matter as it was all relative.  These days we're spending £10-15m on marquee signings and that's half of what clubs we consider competitors spend on players and eventually that will just kill you.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

It was interesting to see The Athletic report on it considering we've been told that the most viable takeovers or investments we'll have will be done with no media awareness.  I don't dispute The Athletic doing the appropriate checks with multiple sources etc. but to hear that they were told doesn't make it feel close to me.

But it needs to be, as club is on its last roll of the dice in terms of finances and transfer strategy.  It simply can't keep up with the investment the rest of the league makes at this rate and its us and Burnley who are going to eventually suffer.

Sadly I also just don't see the appeal in taking over Saints either unless someone is willing to lose alot of money.  We don't make sense from a business sense unless you think you can increase the value of the asset but to really do that you need growth in the league and I think we may be at the tip of that right now.  The elite clubs are well out of reach so what would we be fighting for with lots of investment?  Probably the same as Everton, and they are going nowhere either and how much has their owner pumped in?

At least when we were broke back in the 90's it felt like we had a fighting chance because those around us were also broke so it didn't matter as it was all relative.  These days we're spending £10-15m on marquee signings and that's half of what clubs we consider competitors spend on players and eventually that will just kill you.

If you have money and spent it wisely you can defo compete top 6. Top 6 clubs don t have particularly brilliant structures, apart from Man city and Liverpool

• Like 3

13 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

If you have money and spent it wisely you can defo compete top 6. Top 6 clubs don t have particularly brilliant structures, apart from Man city and Liverpool

You can in a one off season if one of the Big 6 have an off year.  And if another one has an off year the following season maybe you can do it again.  I don't think its ever happened a third season and that is because of money.  The Big 6 have the financial muscle to rebound from mistakes, and eventually get it right.  You progress as a club in one of their off years and they buy your best players.  You don't get your recruitment right (and again history here suggests no club ever does over a long period of time) then you're back where you started.

It's not a nice thing to have to acknowledge as it takes all the romance out of the sport but I think that is the reality of the situation we're in even with a benefactor.  We'll have to see how Newcastle go and how quickly they can accelerate their ascendancy and how much money that takes.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Chelsea have 60 players on their books hardly sign of being well managed

I saw an article on them a couple of years ago that was saying whilst they do hoover a lot of 'talent', it had netted them over £400m in transfer fees - think that was part of their strategy, to get loads in, some may be good for them, and the rest they sell on at a profit.

Unlike a party in Downing Street, that wasnt to be sniffed at.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I saw an article on them a couple of years ago that was saying whilst they do hoover a lot of 'talent', it had netted them over £400m in transfer fees - think that was part of their strategy, to get loads in, some may be good for them, and the rest they sell on at a profit.

Unlike a party in Downing Street, that wasnt to be sniffed at.

They also lose talents like Livramento because of this. 

Just now, stevy777_x said:

They also lose talents like Livramento because of this. 

Not really, I mean that is part of the risk, but they also have Reece James and a buy back clause for Tino. 

There will be winners and losers but overall it’s worked pretty well for them.

Id say that was good business for them and us, and for the next few years Tino isn’t getting ahead of James. 

1 hour ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

You can in a one off season if one of the Big 6 have an off year.  And if another one has an off year the following season maybe you can do it again.  I don't think its ever happened a third season and that is because of money.  The Big 6 have the financial muscle to rebound from mistakes, and eventually get it right.  You progress as a club in one of their off years and they buy your best players.  You don't get your recruitment right (and again history here suggests no club ever does over a long period of time) then you're back where you started.

It's not a nice thing to have to acknowledge as it takes all the romance out of the sport but I think that is the reality of the situation we're in even with a benefactor.  We'll have to see how Newcastle go and how quickly they can accelerate their ascendancy and how much money that takes.  

What makes me laugh about this, particularly the Newcastle takeover, was the way liverpool kicked off saying it was unfair they were allowed to pump their millions into the club.  This was all ok when they were one of the few rich clubs, but now they're not, it's all wrong according to them.

liverpool had the chance to stop this at root back when the premier league was formed by ensuring every club was on an equal standing financially, making the chance of winning the league more equal among all teams, but no, they wanted to be selfish, to give themselves an unfair advantage over other teams, to stop other teams progressing by using their financial weight to take other clubs talent.

Well, read it and weep victims

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

What makes me laugh about this, particularly the Newcastle takeover, was the way liverpool kicked off saying it was unfair they were allowed to pump their millions into the club.  This was all ok when they were one of the few rich clubs, but now they're not, it's all wrong according to them.

liverpool had the chance to stop this at root back when the premier league was formed by ensuring every club was on an equal standing financially, making the chance of winning the league more equal among all teams, but no, they wanted to be selfish, to give themselves an unfair advantage over other teams, to stop other teams progressing by using their financial weight to take other clubs talent.

Spot on!  For me they will always be the premier shit houses bar none!

• Like 3

On 09/12/2021 at 16:59, Miltonaggro said:

Spot on!  For me they will always be the premier shit houses bar none!

Pompey used to be my most despised club but now they are not worth bothering about Liverpool have replaced them. Always think they are victims when they are spoiled brats

On 09/12/2021 at 13:56, Millbrook Saint said:

Liverpool is a club of dignity and class with an amazing atmosphere and every football supporters second club. How dare you say such detrimental things about this wonderful football club.

• Haha 1

On 08/12/2021 at 23:20, stevy777_x said:

They have more money so ‘structures’ become less important. I would say the top six have filled five of those spaces for the last dozen seasons, the top four places for longer, the only blemish being the Leicester league win when Saints finished in sixth place.  

Newcastle can crash the party now, probably at spurs expense but teams have tried to spend to compete and have disappeared (Blackburn and Villa). Only having something different - manager, investment, academy, transfers, luck, or a combination of things will get a team the odd fifth or sixth place. 

2 hours ago, Doctoroncall said:

They have more money so ‘structures’ become less important. I would say the top six have filled five of those spaces for the last dozen seasons, the top four places for longer, the only blemish being the Leicester league win when Saints finished in sixth place.  

Newcastle can crash the party now, probably at spurs expense but teams have tried to spend to compete and have disappeared (Blackburn and Villa). Only having something different - manager, investment, academy, transfers, luck, or a combination of things will get a team the odd fifth or sixth place. 

Yes this it, European Super league or no European Super league, the big six no longer need fear relegation. They can borrow millions to cover the cost of COVID etc without any fear……….unlike Saints……

9 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Probably not great news re: Takeover

The measures are nonsense as well, I remember last year Ralph blaming not being able to use recovery facilities on our injuries , as if stopping the massage on 15 mins prevents covid ffs. 

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

The measures are nonsense as well, I remember last year Ralph blaming not being able to use recovery facilities on our injuries , as if stopping the massage on 15 mins prevents covid ffs. 

They should get up Woolston. Apparently a place there that does a decent massage and they won't stop after 15 minutes unless you've already finished.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 13/12/2021 at 18:01, The Cat said:

They should get up Woolston. Apparently a place there that does a decent massage and they won't stop after 15 minutes unless you've already finished.

Some bloke called Avram recommended a place in Horton Heath.