Dan N'Lundulu - Official: Loaned to Lincoln

SuperSAINT

7 minutes ago, DarrenLeTiss said:

Another long term contract handed out when the player barely deserves it. He’s 22, he’s not going to be a premier league striker so we’re wasting our very limited money once more. 

Disagree, he won’t be on much, Lincoln will be paying a good chunk of his wages this year and it only takes 1 good season of 15-20 goals and we’d be able to flog him for several mil/have him as a backup. I reckon with his height and pace he might do alright in the lower leagues. Nowhere near as baffling as Shane Long’s contract extension a while back

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Lincoln were really good last year.  Punching above their weight with a good manager.

Looking forward to see how he gets on.

B-team is going to be young next season!

Michael Appleton isn’t it- ex Pompey? He’s been diagnosed with testicular cancer and having surgery during pre season- hoping he recovers well as he’s done a good job there

• Like 3

Maybe the new contract keeps him on the roster whilst we work out whether he will ever cut it? Do we know how long he's signed for - I can't imagine it's too long term a deal? A season long loan at a side which made the League One play-offs will at least tell us if he hold down a place and score regularly at that level. If not, I guess we'd be looking to move him on for good. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Dan N'Lundulu - Official: Loaned to Lincoln
20 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Maybe the new contract keeps him on the roster whilst we work out whether he will ever cut it? Do we know how long he's signed for - I can't imagine it's too long term a deal? A season long loan at a side which made the League One play-offs will at least tell us if he hold down a place and score regularly at that level. If not, I guess we'd be looking to move him on for good. 

3 years. 

14 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Ok, thanks, didn't see that coming. Ralph must rate him more highly than most on here do!

If you are going to loan out for a season, a 3 year contract is the first duration that makes sense. One year world be totally pointless, two years and they return with only a year remaining and you're back in Ings/Vestergaard territory. 3 years is the minimum to give you any security

Odd decision really - he doesn’t have the raw materials to ever be a Prem player, especially with how the game requires ever more guile and control. He could certainly become a decent league 1 player - can see this ending up as a loan to permanent for minimal fee. I guess it’s right that the goal for Saints is to get their youth players into pro footballers and this looks like the right path.

• Like 1

The new contract does seem a little odd for a 22 year old who's not really made any impact, even sporadically like Sims, on the first team. Perhaps we genuinely believe League 1 experience will push him along, or perhaps the plan is to sell him to a Championship club next summer if he does alright.

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The new contract does seem a little odd for a 22 year old who's not really made any impact, even sporadically like Sims, on the first team. Perhaps we genuinely believe League 1 experience will push him along, or perhaps the plan is to sell him to a Championship club next summer if he does alright.

Might do a job for us down there if things go to sh*t for us.

1 hour ago, warwicksaint said:

Disagree, he won’t be on much, Lincoln will be paying a good chunk of his wages this year and it only takes 1 good season of 15-20 goals and we’d be able to flog him for several mil/have him as a backup. I reckon with his height and pace he might do alright in the lower leagues. Nowhere near as baffling as Shane Long’s contract extension a while back

Don't under estimate what our youngsters earn. He'll be on a wage way above Lincoln's level. We'll be paying the lad 7 figures over the term of that contract, and I'd wager that he won't have a first touch at the end of it anywhere near that of a premier league player, or even near the level of the uber crap Shane Long. 

Poor business for me. 

• Like 1

It's a strange one, our policy seems to change with the wind.

Last season it was pretty clear  ''We will not loan out players who have a future here, we don't see the benefit of players we want to keep learning the way of another club''.

Now it's ''give a new player a contract, then loan them out''. What is the the policy here? Club still seems a little all over the place to be honest.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Last season it was pretty clear  ''We will not loan out players who have a future here, we don't see the benefit of players we want to keep learning the way of another club''.

Now it's ''give a new player a contract, then loan them out''. What is the the policy here? Club still seems a little all over the place to be honest.

The loan system can be an earner if wages are all covered and a loan fee paid. Selling the player at  some point adds a cherry to the cake. This bit of business (contract or loan) makes no sense to me on any level. 

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Don't under estimate what our youngsters earn. He'll be on a wage way above Lincoln's level. We'll be paying the lad 7 figures over the term of that contract, and I'd wager that he won't have a first touch at the end of it anywhere near that of a premier league player, or even near the level of the uber crap Shane Long. 

Poor business for me. 

Don’t disagree he could turn out to be crap but if he is 7 figures over the 3 years that’s not exactly a lot in the long run - worth a punt if he’ll only cost a mil or 2 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

The loan system can be an earner if wages are all covered and a loan fee paid. Selling the player at  some point adds a cherry to the cake. This bit of business (contract or loan) makes no sense to me on any level. 

Yeah, in that sense - but there will be no earner here as you've alluded to. We'll be paying the wage I imagine and I can't see Lincoln giving us any notable fee.

My view is that at 22 you've got to be making an impact at a club in order to get a long-term deal. He's done nothing for us. Now he's signed a long term deal, loaned out to L1. It's the same as the Kayne Ramsay deal, another player who is clearly not going to make it at this level that we're giving contracts to, then giving away to L1 clubs whilst we pick up the tab.

Maybe the club are as nervous as us with regards to our future and they feel he could be a decent lower league player for us in the years to come???

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It certainly does change.

I’m guessing they are loaning out older players who aren’t good enough for the 1st team but are too good for the B-Team.  

The B-Team is likely to be sub-20 year-old players by the looks.

Edited by SuperSAINT

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

When you say policy, you mean Matt Crocker said it in an interview once?

5 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

When you say policy, you mean Matt Crocker said it in an interview once?

At which point he said it was the club policy.

He's the guy setting these policies and structures, all to do with the merging of the B Team with the first team and get them interlinked etc. I guess maybe that comment/intention was made when it wasn't clear how absolutely hopeless most of the lower age groups are at the moment.

Once they decided to loan him out, the new contract (likely still on low wages), was an obvious move.

If he does well, then we have some bargaining power to get a decent fee for him - be that £500k or £5m.

If he does very well then he becomes a first team option again in future.

If he is ultimately L1 level then I'm sure we can loan him out and cover most costs for the remaining two years.

Far worse than loaning him out, him doing well and then being able to leave for free as he is out of contract.

This summer Sims and Hesketh both of whom played first team football left for free. If eventually we sell N'Lundulu for £500k that probably pays for 5 academy signings or various coaches for a year. We need to get better at selling the players who are good but not quite good enough.

Re the Crocker comments, you have to consider each individual situation. N'Lundulu has made the first team without going on loan and by playing in the U23s and training with the first team. He isn't at this point quite ready for first team level and isnt going to benefit from playing PL2 as he is that bit older. A loan is then an obvious step. How he does then shapes whether he comes back or is sold/loaned again. Seems sensible if they aren't comfortable with letting him go permanently just yet.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 4

To be fair, Newcastle got rid of Toney when he was 22 and Armstrong when he was 21 and they're now regretting both departures. I've seen nothing from N'Lundulu to suggest he can make it here, other than a poor first touch, poor movement, no pace and a lack of technical ability. However, neither Toney, or Armstrong were anything special until the last two years either.

Alongside this, Peterborough were paid £5m for Toney after two good League One seasons. We would take that and run these days, if he is a success down there.

Bloody football, so unpredictable! 🙄

He seems to be at that stage where he is not getting anything from U23's and not quite good enough for first team.

He's a different type of striker to what we have though and should be toughened up down at league one. 

Interestingly we have used Lincoln before so we must rate their style of football.

Where's the harm in giving him a year to season and then re-evaluate him

Edited by screechio
Autotext
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He was our option last season when we needed some power and height in attack.

Now we have Broja. They're on different planets.

Hard to disagree with that! Somehow, Broja's managed to dislodge Shlong from the first team squad, too. Quite the upgrade, I'd say. I wish Dan well, but I'll be surprised if he sets League one alight this year. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Sounds like he did well on his full debut at the weekend.  Can't see him making it at this level but I reckon he'll have a solid football league career.

I heard he will be back for us in January to become an option off the bench when we're losing at home 1-0 and chasing a goal.

• Haha 1

On 03/10/2021 at 17:58, Mr X said:

Good news hopefully the deal has a commitment to buy so we can get rid of the carthorse 

He signed a new 3 year contract in July 2021. They aren't going to include  'commitment to buy' in a loan deal a month later to a team with very little money.

Edited by Matthew Le God

On 05/10/2021 at 11:58, Nordic Saint said:

He's really struggling in League One. "He hasn’t managed to score a goal or provide an assist for Michael Appleton’s side so far this season, despite having seven appearances":

Southampton: N’Lundulu struggling on loan | FootballFanCast.com

I'd be surprised if that's a surprise to any fan who's watched him play. Never a PL level player in a million years, and I'm not altogether surprised he's struggling in league 1. Terrible touch and turn, and if you haven't sorted that by the time you're 22, it's not looking good. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, egg said:

I'd be surprised if that's a surprise to any fan who's watched him play. Never a PL level player in a million years, and I'm not altogether surprised he's struggling in league 1. Terrible touch and turn, and if you haven't sorted that by the time you're 22, it's not looking good. 

And to think we extended his contract... 😒

On 05/10/2021 at 11:58, Nordic Saint said:

He's really struggling in League One. "He hasn’t managed to score a goal or provide an assist for Michael Appleton’s side so far this season, despite having seven appearances":

Southampton: N’Lundulu struggling on loan | FootballFanCast.com

I don't think he's premier League quality but I'd take this with a pinch of salt. The author has clearly based it on goals and assists and never watched him play or talked to anyone who has. Only 3 of the 7 appearances were starts and those starts were the last three games so he's building a first team place. How many games did Adams go without scoring for us?

Hack journalism basically

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SalmonSi said:

Why is it that so many of the really promising academy lads end up going no where? Year ago people were saying Josh Sims was the next LeTiss. Now he cannot get a club. Now Dan L. So many full of promise. Do we coach it out of them?

To be honest I don’t recall anyone saying Sims was going to become the next Le Tiss. He looked like he had a bit of potential and hasn’t managed to realise it. Clearly has some injury issues, as should have a club at Lge 1 level,  but personally I didn’t think he’d make it in the Prem.

More widely, many players show a lot of promise but for varying reasons just don’t kick on. We have countless examples over the years. The Guardian are running their Next Gen series at the moment and it’s interesting to see that many players seen as the best players in the world at 16/17/18 still don’t go on to make it at the top level and some drop out of the game all together. Players picked as the best prospects at Prem clubs also vary on whether they push on, less than 50% usually do.

All this highlights that it is extremely difficult to become a pro footballer. Even more difficult to become an elite player at Premier League level. The guys playing in this league are amongst the best in the world, the top 0.1%.