Things That are Racist

Turkish

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Correct, basically. I briefly alluded to it on another thread, but I believe what is essentially racism was an important part in our natural selection. The descendants of modern day homo-sapiens were one of a variety of homo-erectus subspecies but we became the dominant genus. In effect our ancestors survived by being the most aggressive, to the point that all our other relatives died out. There’s a reason why if you go to the zoo the gorillas, chimps and orangutan aren’t in the same enclosure - they’d all kill each other.

In short, I believe racial tolerance is a learned behaviour, not something we are born with. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Correct, basically. I briefly alluded to it on another thread, but I believe what is essentially racism was an important part in our natural selection. The descendants of modern day homo-sapiens were one of a variety of homo-erectus subspecies but we became the dominant genus. In effect our ancestors survived by being the most aggressive, to the point that all our other relatives died out. There’s a reason why if you go to the zoo the gorillas, chimps and orangutan aren’t in the same enclosure - they’d all kill each other.

In short, I believe racial tolerance is a learned behaviour, not something we are born with. 

You seem to be a bit confused between different species and different shades of human, no?

An Orangutan isn't a ginger gorilla. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, benjii said:

You seem to be a bit confused between different species and different shades of human, no?

An Orangutan isn't a ginger gorilla. 

I’m not confusing anything, we aren’t different ‘shades’ we have differing genetic qualities. If you go back around 100,000-400,000 years (estimates vary) we all had a common ancestor, most likely in East Africa somewhere. If you go back 50 million years, you find the first ancestors of all modern primates.

Anyway, the point is is the same basic, tribal behaviour. 

45 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Are Yorkshire folk a distinct race ? If so, then I should be added to the list.

( I assume the population of Portsea Island are outside the scope of this thread ).

As an exile in Yorkshire i can indeed confirm that they are certainly different and much like scousers, feel the need to shoe horn in that they are from Yorkshire in every single conversation they have. I guess it's a bit like black people referring to themselves as the N word, kind of like a badge of honour amongst their own but a slur if anyone else refers to it.

20 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Don't you live in Lancashire?

Which is why I asked the question. People in the US still invoke their civil war, up here the Wars of the Roses are still going on 550 years later. We also don't recognise Greater Manchester as an entity, it falls entirely within our county boundary. ( It's a bit like saying Southampton isn't in Hampshire ).

Edited by badgerx16

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Which is why I asked the question. People in the US still invoke their civil war, up here the Wars of the Roses are still going on. We also don't recognise Greater Manchester as an entity, it falls entirely within our boundary. ( It's a bit like saying Southampton isn't in Hampshire ).

Apologies, I misread your post, I thought you were suggesting you were a Yorkshire man/woman/person (please don't get too upset!).

Having lived in both Lancashire and Yorkshire, I always found the Yorkshire folk to be more approachable.

Dumb woke libs and darkies complaining about taps that don’t turn on, pink plasters, white skin makeup and sunglasses that don’t fit. 

Can’t imagine there would be any kind of hysterical outrage if there were black only plasters and makeup, or taps that didn’t work for white people 

Isn’t it bs about the taps? Cannot possibly believe that any technology can be so sophisticated to only respond to a skin colour. My missus can’t open our boot with her foot after numerous tutorials from me

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Isn’t it bs about the taps? Cannot possibly believe that any technology can be so sophisticated to only respond to a skin colour. My missus can’t open our boot with her foot after numerous tutorials from me

Ha, no idea! mine cant work the car air conditioning (Its too hot! Its too cold!). Most racism isnt vicious 'you cunt' type its just unintentional drip drip of making you feel you don't really count or belong. Almost every day my missus, third generation Yorkshire will get patients asking her where she is from, telling her how good her English is or how much nicer  'your lot' is than some of those 'others'.    

Edited by buctootim

22 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Ha, no idea! mine cant work the car air conditioning (Its too hot! Its too cold!). Most racism isnt vicious 'you cunt' type its just unintentional drip drip of making you feel you don't really count or belong. Almost every day my missus, third generation Yorkshire will get patients asking her where she is from, telling her how good her English is or how much nicer  'your lot' is than some of those 'others'.    

Don’t you think that it is well intentioned but just ignorant rather than racist?

I get must be annoying but genuinely think some people are interested rather than trying to make feel like an outsider?

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Don’t you think that it is well intentioned but just ignorant rather than racist?

I get must be annoying but genuinely think some people are interested rather than trying to make feel like an outsider?

Yes, it's mostly well intentioned - but its still racist, albeit at the lowest end of the scale, because they only say it because she's brown. She gets it despite being British born and bred whilst the white immigrant, English as a second language doctors she works works with don't.  

My parents are both white non British, so I am less established British than her  - but I never get questioned or told how good my English is or that 'my lot' are okay.  Its primarily about being made to feel separate and not really being accepted.   

Even if you are well intentioned working from the premise that someone is foreign because they are brown or black and British because they are white is wrong.  

Edited by buctootim

33 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Yorkshire people are a funny bunch, i know i've lived here for 8 years. I'm sure her English is much nicer than most of them, I still have no idea what they're on about when they go on about go down the ginnel, nowt like a proper brew, fair t middlein or i'm nithered. No surprise they ask her where she's from I dont think it's racist, more of a compliment. 

On 09/08/2021 at 16:50, Turkish said:

Yorkshire people are a funny bunch, i know i've lived here for 8 years. I'm sure her English is much nicer than most of them, I still have no idea what they're on about when they go on about go down the ginnel, nowt like a proper brew, fair t middlein or i'm nithered. No surprise they ask her where she's from I dont think it's racist, more of a compliment. 

Hast tha ne'er bin teld to sit thee on th'settle ?

23 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

I really hope this person doesn't win, with her its ok for black people to be racist to others stance.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/16/uk-academic-sues-university-losing-role-critical-race-theory-row-leeds-beckett

I believe people like her are holding back progression.  She claims to be antiracist but seems obsessed by race.  How can you be antiracist and use a slur (coconut) which specifically refers to skin colour?  I suspect she labours under the misapprehension that people of colour can't be racist even though they behave as such.

On 23/08/2021 at 02:42, skintsaint said:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/soccer/nz-soccers-all-whites-face-name-change-c-3754886

The big shame out of this is I would guess the famous Rugby team name will now have to change also.

Another good example of the difference between being woke and being liberal. A liberal would want anyone to be given an opportunity, regardless of race, religion or sexual persuasion. Woke is thinking people from ethnic minorities need help because they can't understand the difference between racism and the colour of a t-shirt.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/soccer/nz-soccers-all-whites-face-name-change-c-3754886

The big shame out of this is I would guess the famous Rugby team name will now have to change also.

Football: 'Will they change the All Blacks?': All Whites great on possible name change - NZ Herald

Agree with their top scorer, deeply unfair to discuss changing one 'all whites' and not to be discussing changing the 'all blacks' (think changing is crazy personally)

Edited by Baird of the land

• 2 weeks later...

It’s just an example of a shit idea, like many on this thread. The problem is when you get marketing people involved who generally are hyper-sensitive about their brand possibly offending anyone. I have worked in the industry for years and see it all the time.

At the end of the Day if a rugby team want to change their name it’s up to them, it’s their job to worry about how they are perceived, it’s nothing to really give a shit about. In my opinion it is silly but it has to be a better thing that racial issues are being thought about than just ignored.

4 hours ago, aintforever said:

It’s just an example of a shit idea, like many on this thread. The problem is when you get marketing people involved who generally are hyper-sensitive about their brand possibly offending anyone. I have worked in the industry for years and see it all the time.

At the end of the Day if a rugby team want to change their name it’s up to them, it’s their job to worry about how they are perceived, it’s nothing to really give a shit about. In my opinion it is silly but it has to be a better thing that racial issues are being thought about than just ignored.

Explains a lot

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Mixed feelings on that. If it’s accompanied with a picture of King Charles then they should leave it be. On the other hand I think we can do a bit better than stuff like this.

E3158978-2CEE-4AD8-8071-1501E5A451D2.jpeg

They better do the roundabout too. What about Blackfield?

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

A bit offensive from Lineker, to compare Raducanu's family (who I assume came here legally) with what's going on in the Channel. 

There is no legal way to claim asylum to the UK without being  on UK soil. 

Also there is no legal requirement for France or anyone else for  that matter to police the UK borders. Thank Brexit for that.

In fact, by turning around boats we are breaking international maritime law. We are getting quite good at breaking treaties.

Edited by Warriorsaint
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tory MPs ?

"Tory MP James Gray has been asked to step back from activities with a charity, after reports he mixed up two ethnic minority ministers at an event, saying "they all look the same to me".

The MailOnline has reported he confused then-vaccine minister Nadhim Zahawi with Health Secretary Sajid Javid."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58882238

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Tory MPs ?

"Tory MP James Gray has been asked to step back from activities with a charity, after reports he mixed up two ethnic minority ministers at an event, saying "they all look the same to me".

The MailOnline has reported he confused then-vaccine minister Nadhim Zahawi with Health Secretary Sajid Javid."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58882238

Gammon at its finest.

A bit of a coincidence that he was also a leading Brexiteer.