Mike Dean is at it again!

benjii

4 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Although it was 3rd umpire they are only aloud to look at what on field umpire asks for, the confusion stemmed from the umpire not understanding what Joe Root asked for, hence when they looked at further footage the review was given back

Would the review have been given back if the batsman hadn’t of been given out a few balls later? Was all a bit weird if you ask me. Butcher was right first time.

It was difficult to see even on the slow motion replays why it was out , it missed the bat and hit the pad . What was spotted after the not out was given was the ball coming off the pad then hitting the batsman's glove before it was caught . That couldn't be seen from the front camera so I'm leaning towards cock up rather than conspiracy . Anyway after Sunday's display it is not very relevant 🤨

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Another ropey decision there. No shot played but they stopped ball tracking because it hit the pad outside the line of off stump. England are still going to lose but that was pathetic.

Yep, that completely threw me when it came up with a big green, ‘impact outside’. I thought I’d misunderstood the rules of the game somehow, there was blatantly no shot played. Sadly he wasn’t out three balls later like the one yesterday.

LOL at muppets slating McCarthy for not being better at saving penalties!  I don't personally rate him and think Forster should be in there but to blame him for not being better at saving penalties is ridiculous.

Take a closer look at Ralph for the blame game.  2nd half we are nearly always terrible and on the back foot.  Taking Armstrong off?  

• Like 1

If you have only just realised this, then I suggest watching the highlights of that game again, just to see how bad the double jeopardy rule screwed us in that game with the goal and sending off. Not seen it happen since, in a season and a half.  Don't think it will ever happen again.......unless we get the dream team again. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

I think that was actually the correct decision, the defender clearly deliberately stopped it and the attacker would have been clean through.

Would imagine that Allardyce will be pointing out how far away from goal it was though.

Sorry but, in my opinion, Dean is wrong even when he's right.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why was it disallowed?

Probably the worse bit of refereeing I’ve ever seen, absolutely no excuse for it. A bad tackle, handball etc.., at the pace the game moves, you kind of understand how it could be missed, but this was pure incompetence. Mason is a rabbit in the headlights and shouldn’t be in the job at any level.  

The keeper was lining up his wall, when dunk ‘allegedly’ asked if he can take it. Mason blew his whistle to restart play, they put it in the pretty much empty net, but mason shit himself and blew just before the ball went in (were talking a foot if that before it crossed the line). 

He initially said no goal, then got pressured and gave the goal, then VAR overruled the goal (I suspect it was because they wanted to save face for him). it was mayhem. at one point he was talking to the benches for some reason. 

I think he blew to start play but didn’t expect them to take the free kick so quickly. In fairness, he should never have started play in that situation, so the decision to rule out the goal was probably right, but it’s an absolute farce. 

Add Brighton to the list of us and Wolves who don’t want him in charge of their games. 

Mike Dean is an arrogant twat, but at least you know he’ll generally speaking have control of the game. Mason is just beyond incompetent. I think he’d struggle to control a Southampton league game, to be honest.

22 minutes ago, SKD said:

Probably the worse bit of refereeing I’ve ever seen, absolutely no excuse for it. A bad tackle, handball etc.., at the pace the game moves, you kind of understand how it could be missed, but this was pure incompetence. Mason is a rabbit in the headlights and shouldn’t be in the job at any level.  

The keeper was lining up his wall, when dunk ‘allegedly’ asked if he can take it. Mason blew his whistle to restart play, they put it in the pretty much empty net, but mason shit himself and blew just before the ball went in (were talking a foot if that before it crossed the line). 

He initially said no goal, then got pressured and gave the goal, then VAR overruled the goal (I suspect it was because they wanted to save face for him). it was mayhem. at one point he was talking to the benches for some reason. 

I think he blew to start play but didn’t expect them to take the free kick so quickly. In fairness, he should never have started play in that situation, so the decision to rule out the goal was probably right, but it’s an absolute farce. 

Add Brighton to the list of us and Wolves who don’t want him in charge of their games. 

Mike Dean is an arrogant twat, but at least you know he’ll generally speaking have control of the game. Mason is just beyond incompetent. I think he’d struggle to control a Southampton league game, to be honest.

Shambles.

There’s 2 things the ref can do. Allow a quick  one with out a whistle (tough if the defending team aren’t ready), or tell everyone the kick will be on the whistle. Once you’ve insisted the kick is taken on your whistle, you have to allow the defending team time to get set. 

He obviously assumed the keeper was set & ready without actually checking he was. He then shat himself when he realised he wasn’t and the kick had been taken, so blew the whistle again.

To me the VAR could have bailed him out a little . There were players offside, that at a stretch could have been in the keepers vision. VAR could have told him this and given him a way of disallowing the goal, without looking like a complete twat (only looking mildly twatish). 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

43 minutes ago, SKD said:

Mike Dean takes immense delight in giving as many controversial decisions as possible against us. He loathes us and makes no attempt to hide the fact.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, SKD said:

Thanks. What a shambles. Not a week goes by without some absolutely ridiculous happening with the officials. VAR has made things even worse. 

WTF Mason? Seriously, what was that mess?

He made a clear commitment to allow the quick free kick to be taken. How on earth can he then change his fucking mind? 

It's not Dunks fault that Johnstone wasn't ready in goal. Dunk clearly asked the ref if he could take a quick free quick, to which the ref agreed, blew his whistle...he took it, he blew up just before it went in for reasons that I'm not sure about.

It strikes me as a ref who realised he made a silly error of judgement allowing the quick free kick to be taken, but once you commit to a decision you have to own it - surely? That has to be one of the biggest abominations I've ever seen. And it's him again.

Imagine if he had allowed the goal after blowing his whistle. If I were a West Brom player, after that I'd have just ignored any whistle and played on, then said, "well, last time you played on after the whistle so..." It would have been childish but would have underlined the absolute prat he made of himself.

Once Mason has blown the whistle the ball is in play. Why he blows it again is anybody’s guess but since the ball has been in play when he does so he cannot possibly bring them back for the free kick to be retaken. 

Dropped ball on the edge of the goal area is the only legitimate procedure but then he would look really stupid.

Oh

What all this shows is, we have given far too much power to the refs. They are backed up by cowards running the line, and the equally complicit guys at Stockley Park ready to roll out the cover up plan. And then, in the face of obvious incompetence we get less than a whisper from the PGMOL. No accountability, no contingency, no respect for the fans or the game. And after all that, they expect me to condemn online abuse as they play the victim when some lonely drunk spews outrage on the inter-web.........nah......I'll save my sympathy for a slightly less corrupt politician getting belters from Piers Morgan if you don't mind. 

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Once Mason has blown the whistle the ball is in play. Why he blows it again is anybody’s guess but since the ball has been in play when he does so he cannot possibly bring them back for the free kick to be retaken. 

Dropped ball on the edge of the goal area is the only legitimate procedure but then he would look really stupid.

Oh

Nobody has mentioned this in the media so I went and checked ‘Law 5 - The Referee’

“The referee may not change a restart decision on realising that it is incorrect or on the advice of another match official if play has restarted or the referee has signalled the end of the first or second half..”

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Oh

Match of the day explained it as after saying Brighton could take it he then noticed the goalkeeper wasn’t ready, surely that’s the keepers fault? 

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Match of the day explained it as after saying Brighton could take it he then noticed the goalkeeper wasn’t ready, surely that’s the keepers fault? 

If he allows it to be taken quickly, then yes. However, once he’s indicated the restart will be on his whistle, he has to allow the defending team to be set. The error was he didn’t check the keeper was ready before blowing his whistle. He then panicked when he realised he wasn’t,  and blew it again to stop play. 

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

WTF Mason? Seriously, what was that mess?

He made a clear commitment to allow the quick free kick to be taken. How on earth can he then change his fucking mind? 

It's not Dunks fault that Johnstone wasn't ready in goal. Dunk clearly asked the ref if he could take a quick free quick, to which the ref agreed, blew his whistle...he took it, he blew up just before it went in for reasons that I'm not sure about.

It strikes me as a ref who realised he made a silly error of judgement allowing the quick free kick to be taken, but once you commit to a decision you have to own it - surely? That has to be one of the biggest abominations I've ever seen. And it's him again.

You are spot on here. MOTD reckoned that Lee Mason spotted Johnstone out of position so that's why he blew his whistle but apparently it is not a rule that the goalie should be in the middle of the goal mouth. So the goal should have been allowed. Shouldn't a referee know this?! Mason shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football match. Anyone can make mistakes but he made himself look a complete clown. In the papers this week there was an article saying that a referee's annual bonus will be decreased whenever they make an error. At this rate Lee Mason will end up owing the FA money, along with that other twerp, Mike Dean. 

33 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If he allows it to be taken quickly, then yes. However, once he’s indicated the restart will be on his whistle, he has to allow the defending team to be set. The error was he didn’t check the keeper was ready before blowing his whistle. He then panicked when he realised he wasn’t,  and blew it again to stop play. 

But having restarted play with his first whistle he cannot then change his mind. 

Even after indicating that the restart will be on his whistle he doesn’t have to make sure that every player is awake and ready.

You can’t have referees whistling whilst the wall is still being lined up, there’d be mayhem. If the restart is going to be on the whistle you have to be reasonable and allow the defensive team to set. That’s why he panicked and blew the second time, he knew he fucked up. The problem was the panicked second whistle made the situation even worse. He lost control of the situation, he was puddled. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You can’t have referees whistling whilst the wall is still being lined up, there’d be mayhem. If the restart is going to be on the whistle you have to be reasonable and allow the defensive team to set. That’s why he panicked and blew the second time, he knew he fucked up. The problem was the panicked second whistle made the situation even worse. He lost control of the situation, he was puddled. 

On I think it was on Total saintspodcast this week, either Steve or Glenn correctly said that if a free kicjk is awarded for a professional foul where the opposition is then allowed to set up again, it would seem fair that the teamed fouled should get the chance for a quick free kick. To me that is fair as the perpetrator is getting an advantage. We were so unlucky v Leeds for that decision, Had JWP waited a fraction of a second I expect we would have scored 

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

On I think it was on Total saintspodcast this week, either Steve or Glenn correctly said that if a free kicjk is awarded for a professional foul where the opposition is then allowed to set up again, it would seem fair that the teamed fouled should get the chance for a quick free kick. To me that is fair as the perpetrator is getting an advantage. We were so unlucky v Leeds for that decision, Had JWP waited a fraction of a second I expect we would have scored 

Gary Linaker made a similar point last night as well. He said having to 'stop' and wait for the opposition/referee etc to be ready adds delay to the game, makes it stop start, and removes a big percentage of the advantage to the fouled team.

It's right to think that if you are fouled, you can do what you want with that free kick - as long as someone isn't lying prone on the floor with physios on the pitch! It's up to the opposition to ensure they are switched on and ready for any scenario. Credit should go to the benefiting team if they think outside the box and speed it up, but they're penalised.

• Like 2