Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

12 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

At least parents know which name to get on kids shirts they get 2 for 1 .

Going back to Redmond he started well against Levante he seemed to me like being an elder statesman taking responsibility but then once he missed that chance his head went and back to type.

He took some great corners though.

If he finds some form and confidence then he can play a role but TBH he has been so awful some games think he needs fresh start away from here.

Doesnt it say things when you never hear approaches for him from other clubs around us or above?

He was player of the season a few years back. Whilst he looks full of self confidence i think it is a cover and can lose it very quickly.

It must be pretty tough knowing the fan base is against you before you kick a ball. Please dont say if you are paid 50k a week it shouldn't matter but it does.

You only have to see on here that is a poster gets rounded on by a couple of people they get precious.

Show him some love and respect and we all will gain, get on his back the first time he doesnt beat 2 players and we get what we sow

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He was player of the season a few years back. Whilst he looks full of self confidence i think it is a cover and can lose it very quickly.

It must be pretty tough knowing the fan base is against you before you kick a ball. Please dont say if you are paid 50k a week it shouldn't matter but it does.

You only have to see on here that is a poster gets rounded on by a couple of people they get precious.

Show him some love and respect and we all will gain, get on his back the first time he doesnt beat 2 players and we get what we sow

I think as a fan base we have been massively patient with Redmond. He has been the cause of enormous frustration from the Puel days up until today, he's been here along time and has waivered from absolute crap, to decent, to crap, to decent, to absolute crap. He hasn't' developed or evolved as a player, he was on the fringes of the England team when he joined but he's never been as far away as he is today - hence why he was looking at Jamaica.

He's a very limited football player and that's why his career has stagnated, not because of what fans are saying about him on a football forum.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DT said:

Armstrong is a very successful name in terms of Saints players. David was awesome.  Stuart is great. Hope Adam is the same. Got good feeling about this signing.

Ditto.

Armstrong easily the best 'baldie' we've had, ahead of (if you'll excuse the term) Chris Marsden , and according to older members of my family better than Jimmy Melia.

Pleased with prospect of AA joining. Slight concern is whether he's too short but he's actually the same height as Keegan and Steve Moran, so lofty expectations already set. Plus hopefully also bring in the Chelsea youngster.

Just the CB situation, back up FB, DM, and please a GK to sort out now (now that would be greedy).

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think as a fan base we have been massively patient with Redmond. He has been the cause of enormous frustration from the Puel days up until today, he's been here along time and has waivered from absolute crap, to decent, to crap, to decent, to absolute crap. He hasn't' developed or evolved as a player, he was on the fringes of the England team when he joined but he's never been as far away as he is today - hence why he was looking at Jamaica.

He's a very limited football player and that's why his career has stagnated, not because of what fans are saying about him on a football forum.

Agreed I don’t think the fan base is against him, he gets praised and cheered when does well Bournemouth away saw rave reviews , yet the last few games of season was abysmal that’s nothing to do with fans.

Our fans will support him if he puts in a shift we love a trier BrettOrmerod but hands on hips laughing because you are 10 yards off because  can’t be arsed doesn’t sit well

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It is not fans on a forum, it is at the ground where frustrations are let off. As I say hes a Marmite type player and however much we debate neither will change their opinion. I see his positives in how many times he is involved in goals/chances you see him losing the ball or not taking on the whole defence.

I also get frustrated with him as I think he should attack the defender more but of course we dont know what his orders are. Ralph likes to explore and move the ball around whilst I would like to be more direct in our attacks. Personally I believe JWP is far too safe in his play and would like to see some defence splitting passes rather than the safe sideways option, again this may be down to he manager

4 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

There's a massive gap between doing what he does for us and doing everything. We aren't expecting him to be Mane or Tadic here. We're just wishing for maybe 6 or 7 goals a season from a player who gets a lot of chances. Or maybe not to slow down the attacks due to his inability to make a decision every time. Or perhaps for him to not constantly be whining at other (superior) players on the pitch. 

This isn't a young player with potential anymore. Everyone knows what he brings. A lot of dribbling, 1 or 2 good games per season and ranging between frustrating and anonymous for the majority. 

Tella is already a better player after a handful of games. An older slowing Walcott is still far, far more of a goal threat. Djenepo is erratic but I'd back him to develop more and surprise us. Elyounoussi looks crap but he hasn't had the chances Redmond has so I'd still prefer him in that role. Think it's an oversight not signing someone here. We struggle to create and rely on set pieces far too much. Armstrong can be decent but he can't do it all. I know we were never going to afford a Buendia or Bailey but that's what we need in there. We just have to find a way to find these players a move sooner while they're still affordable. 

Agreed. He loses the ball way too often, which often leads to dangerous transitions, and his manner/attitude is - in my opinion anyway - not great for the team. And we appear to play with more fluency and less hands on hips whining when he's not there. I was hoping that a return to Norwich might be a good way out but it seems that wages may be an issue there. Can we convince Villa he might be a better option than JWP? Here's hoping that getting better options will see him on the bench more often.

3 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

There's a massive gap between doing what he does for us and doing everything. We aren't expecting him to be Mane or Tadic here. We're just wishing for maybe 6 or 7 goals a season from a player who gets a lot of chances. Or maybe not to slow down the attacks due to his inability to make a decision every time. Or perhaps for him to not constantly be whining at other (superior) players on the pitch. 

This isn't a young player with potential anymore. Everyone knows what he brings. A lot of dribbling, 1 or 2 good games per season and ranging between frustrating and anonymous for the majority. 

Tella is already a better player after a handful of games. An older slowing Walcott is still far, far more of a goal threat. Djenepo is erratic but I'd back him to develop more and surprise us. Elyounoussi looks crap but he hasn't had the chances Redmond has so I'd still prefer him in that role. Think it's an oversight not signing someone here. We struggle to create and rely on set pieces far too much. Armstrong can be decent but he can't do it all. I know we were never going to afford a Buendia or Bailey but that's what we need in there. We just have to find a way to find these players a move sooner while they're still affordable. 

We are going to go around in circles here. Just look at the pre match thread when the team selection is put up. Immediately you have people crying that he has been picked. What chance does he have as the first  mistake and its 'get him off' You have lost the argument when you say Eloi is a better bet, or a raw Tella who is the new darling.Tella may be in a years time (play in different roles)but he has to stop diving, refs already have him on the radar.  It was Obefemi not long ago who was going to be the latest thing, that has waned. Walcott a better goal threat,well he may have been at onetime, not in the last part of the season he wasnt. I rad on here that he looks fitter so thats good

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Well if he’s not ours and there is no option to buy it’s a bit pointless having him over tella and obafemi, might as well develop them instead?

id just like us to get the ings replacement sorted first tbh., we got money from the sale.. season starts Saturday why dither about and end up starting Redmond up front or something as bad vs Everton when we could get our replacement sorted now?

Tella will get a lot of game time this season, He can play in 3 or 4 positions so signing him wont harm Tellas development. We need to accept that for a club like us with our financial constraints the loan market is a usual method to bring in a player we usually wouldn't be able to sign. Okay it's short term but the reality is that the young players behind the first team are no where near good enough. If we can bring in a player or two on loan as a short term fix to a, help the first team b, give the younger players here more time to develop and c, not saddle ourselves with crap players on high salaries again then i'm all for it. It's not ideal but we arent in an ideal situation. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

We are going to go around in circles here. Just look at the pre match thread when the team selection is put up. Immediately you have people crying that he has been picked. What chance does he have as the first  mistake and its 'get him off' You have lost the argument when you say Eloi is a better bet, or a raw Tella who is the new darling.Tella may be in a years time (play in different roles)but he has to stop diving, refs already have him on the radar.  It was Obefemi not long ago who was going to be the latest thing, that has waned. Walcott a better goal threat,well he may have been at onetime, not in the last part of the season he wasnt. I rad on here that he looks fitter so thats good

It’s not the fans making the mistakes though is it.

Every season I really hoped he might have actually turned a corner and delivered consistently at the level we see in glimpses. Every year it’s the same disappointment.

I am afraid that he’s had an over extended career in a league above his talent 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Armstrong will be great for us !   Just need a DM and CB and maybe LB back up . Long and Obefemi out the door and got a feeling Moussa will go out on loan and we will bring bacK Minamino.

Djenepo isn't going anywhere and wouldnt want him too. He has the ability just needs to stay clear of injuries.

So who are the other two? My guess is one loan and one permanent. AOC on loan with a defender/defensive midfielder on a permanent deal. Although we also need cover at left back, unless the new lad will play there or right back and move KWP across? 

Edited by Turkish

2 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Every season I really hoped he might have actually turned a corner and delivered consistently at the level we see in glimpses. Every year it’s the same disappointment.

You will always be disappointed if you expect Saints to keep a player who is consistently good lol

He is not above his level, the fans mindset is

4 minutes ago, OldNick said:

You will always be disappointed if you expect Saints to keep a player who is consistently good lol

Eh? It's great that he's not very good so we can keep him?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DT said:

Eh? It's great that he's not very good so we can keep him?

No its not great but that's the way it is, or havent you noticed the scheme of things at our club. They get consistently good and sold, they are inconsistently good and they stay

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

No its not great but that's the way it is, or havent you noticed the scheme of things at our club. They get consistently good and sold, they are inconsistently good and they stay

Isn't that all clubs, pretty much ever?

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So who are the other two? My guess is one loan and one permanent. AOC on loan with a defender/defensive midfielder on a permanent deal. Although we also need cover at left back, unless the new lad will play there or right back and move KWP across? 

I'd be happy with Brandon Williams on loan and Thomas Delaney 🤞

Whilst the verdict is still out on a few of them, our recent transfers under Ralph look likely to now be:

KWP, Walcott on a free, Perraud, Diallo, Salisu, Adam Armstrong, Adams, Djenepo, Livramento, Broja. 

No disastrous flops (yet), a few successes and a few reasons for optimism, all seemingly for £15m or less. Still shopping in the bargain bin but seem to have definitely bucked our ideas up a bit.

• Like 1

Happy with the ins, hopefully one more loan still to come but I'd really rather it wasn't Ox! 

More interested now in the outs this season, we have a number of players in the squad who surely aren't going to be part of our plans - where do Obafemi, Long, Moi, Valery go?

I’m very happy with how saints have done this transfer window. However I think getting a defensive midfielder to cover our defence is imperative. You just need to look at how Saints dropped off when Romeo got injured to see that DM is absolutely crucial to keeping us in games. Furthermore a more experienced player could be useful since they may not be playing often behind Romeo and Diallo could be useful around the team and training ground, IMO Phil Jones would be a good fit.

Edited by Uncle Albert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

So on that logic we only keep consistently bad players! 

So the fans are expecting too much of Redmond... really? 

Assuming the Armstrong deal goes through smoothly we're still short on Goals, Obafemi and Long are ok but are not the 10 goals a season striker we need as back up to Armstrong & Adams, I'm surprised they haven't taken a chance on Giakoumakis the Greek lad who is supposed to be available for £5M which is worth a punt IMO.

6 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Assuming the Armstrong deal goes through smoothly we're still short on Goals, Obafemi and Long are ok but are not the 10 goals a season striker we need as back up to Armstrong & Adams, I'm surprised they haven't taken a chance on Giakoumakis the Greek lad who is supposed to be available for £5M which is worth a punt IMO.

that's what Broja is for

19 minutes ago, swannymere said:

Obafemi and Long are ok but are not the 10 goals a season striker we need as back up

We don't need a back up striker to score 10 goals. 

I doubt Long and Obafemi are going to be our back-ups to Adams and Armstrong. The back-ups will be Tella and Broja (plus Walcott & Redmond).

Edited by Matthew Le God

53 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

So on that logic we only keep consistently bad players! 

So the fans are expecting too much of Redmond... really? 

We dont keep consistently good players, we also dont keep consistently bad players. We keep players who are at our level , mid to lower reaches of the PL ,who can look fantastic on their day but not often enough to be taken from us.

2 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Of course it is the fans fault with unrealistic expectations our squad is easily a lower PL Standard one

10 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

No, that was Fabrice Fernandez or crop circles as we called him. Although no end product is quite harsh. Was a decent little winger for us

I rated Fernandes. Keeping hold of the ball is a useful attribute and he was very good at it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We haven't signed anyone yet so nothing has changed. Like always I make assessments as things changed. 

At this moment in time, I still think we’re weaker than we were last season I.e I think ings is better than Armstrong. 

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

At this moment in time, I still think we’re weaker than we were last season I.e I think ings is better than Armstrong. 

I think Armstrong and this other guy would give us some more options which is a positive thing. If we got a last minute loan like Ox then we would be stronger overall imo. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I think Armstrong and this other guy would give us some more options which is a positive thing. If we got a last minute loan like Ox then we would be stronger overall imo. 

I agree with this. Whilst the first 11 may be weaker, we have added more depth overall, which was a big issue last season. 

Ox and an upgrade for Bednerak at CB, I’d say our first team is then stronger. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I still think we need a starting quality CB to be brought in.  Salisu is very inexperienced and the others; well, errr, a NO from me.

• Like 3